The Rivian R1T Pick-up Is Your Passport to an Electric Adventure

Does the Ram still offer the Ram Boxes?
Yep.

2019-Ram-1500-Exterior-RamBox-Empty-Mobile.jpg.image.1000.jpg

And 115-volt outlet seen at the rear is new for 2019.

Other stories I have seen about this truck show an additional picture with a spare tire being stored in the in-bed storage bin.

M._Rivian_R1T_Rear_Bin_With_Spare.jpg

Maybe the spare tire is an option? I know many new cars are doing away with the spare tire.

Other stories I have seen about this truck show an additional picture with a spare tire being stored in the in-bed storage bin.

Maybe the spare tire is an option? I know many new cars are doing away with the spare tire.
Perhaps. The Rivian is not the only vehicle I've heard of that has the spare tire in an underfloor well like that though. I think the Honda Ridgeline has a specific spot for a spare in its in bed trunk.

I think the "gear tunnel" is the coolest storage space on the truck. And few other trucks have a storage bin in the bed except for the Honda Ridgeline. Does the Ram still offer the Ram Boxes? And it looks like there's some pretty good space in the frunk too. Can't say that about... any other truck unless Tesla wants in on this.
you mean the one on the rivian or the bollinger?

Somewhere at a red light:

Rivia R1T owner to Ferrari owner: "wanna race"
Ferrari owner to Rivia R1T owner: "sure :confused: :odd:"

Green light:

Rivia R1T owner: "yeeehaaa, that's what I'm talking about"!
Ferrari owner: " :confused: :scared: :eek: :(

You mean like this?

Yes It has a split gate at the front and long objects like planks can be put through the whole car
That's cool. One great thing about electric vehicles is that they can be packaged in such a way to have storage space you simply couldn't have in an internal combustion vehicle. And you can easily have multiple motors.

Perhaps. The Rivian is not the only vehicle I've heard of that has the spare tire in an underfloor well like that though. I think the Honda Ridgeline has a specific spot for a spare in its in bed trunk.

I knew Honda did the same thing. Just wondering if it was an option on this thing as some pics show the tire, and some show a large empty bin.

An empty bin for storage would be nice, but it isn't the smartest place for a spare tire on a pickup truck, IMO.

The Ridgeline is worse, spare tire is behind the under bed storage bin. It slides out you would need to remove the items in the bin to get it out. It been like this for 2 gen I can't believe no one has complained about it for them to change it.
20170228090306609.jpg

An empty bin for storage would be nice, but it isn't the smartest place for a spare tire on a pickup truck, IMO.
I think most of the people who buy the Ridgeline or R1T will use them as "lifestyle" truck and they will not carry large heavy items in the on a daily basis. It is still pretty stupid place for a space tire on pickup truck.

Even more people who overland in the US are what we affectionately call "mall squatters". It's like hard parking but for overlanders. It's people who buy a rig, bolt a ton of stuff to it, and then never both to use it. When I had my Tacoma, I used it to at least camp with and explore places, but I'll even admit I had some mall squatter stuff on there too that was pretty useless.
I might end up doing exactly this when I get a GX haha. I fell in love with Wyoming while I was out there but obviously that's a bit of a road trip from Ohio. I want the truck to go exploring badly but I'll be lucky if I ever get to use it.

Rivian gets $700 Millon investment led by Amazon
After rumors earlier this week that GM and Amazon were interested in Rivian, an electric pickup and SUV maker, the company has now confirmed that they are closing a $700 million round of funding led by Amazon.

Amazon is leading the round and Rivian confirms that it includes “participation from existing shareholders”, but there’s no mention of any involvement by GM as previously rumored.

RJ Scaringe, Rivian Founder and CEO, commented on today’s financing announcement:

“This investment is an important milestone for Rivian and the shift to sustainable mobility. Beyond simply eliminating compromises that exist around performance, capability and efficiency, we are working to drive innovation across the entire customer experience. Delivering on this vision requires the right partners, and we are excited to have Amazon with us on our journey to create products, technology and experiences that reset expectations of what is possible.”

Rivian is Amazon’s second big investment in the auto industry this month alone.

We reported last week that Amazon invested in self-driving startup Aurora.

Jeff Wilke, Amazon CEO Worldwide Consumer, commented on the new investment in Rivian:

“We’re inspired by Rivian’s vision for the future of electric transportation. RJ has built an impressive organization, with a product portfolio and technology to match. We’re thrilled to invest in such an innovative company.”
Electrek

Last edited:
Rivian gets $700 Millon investment led by Amazon

Electrek

I like that they picked up the top gear crew first. So they have the grand tour, and are starting to get their hands in car companies whose products they can direct to appear on their review show. ;) Presumably soon you'll be able to purchase Rivian products direct from amazon, and with the self-driving tech, it'll deliver itself (bundled your order of diapers, a skillet, and a package of pens).

Rivian May Introduce Swappable Module System

RIVIANFOURMS.COM

Rivian has patented a set of designs which show the company may have plans to offer a vehicle with swappable and reconfigurable bed modules, depending on an owner's or business' needs.

The patent is titled "Systems and Methods for reconfigurable electric vehicles" and depicts an R1T pickup-like vehicle in several configurations. The flatbed configuration serves as the base upon which different modules can then be installed. Per the patent, the "removable structural models include a removable recreation module; a removable delivery module; a removable open box utility module; a removable flat bed support module; and a removable side rail module.” These modules would be attached via a latch mechanism.

The innovation extends even further, however. Rivian's patent also details a system where depending on the type of module installed, the vehicle will automatically adjust its steering, ride quality (dampening), suspension height and braking to perform best with the new configuration.

This patent (#10,207,757) was filed on January 11, 2017, but it was only recently published, on February 19, 2019.

Here at RivianForums, we've worked up these digital previews to bring Rivian's patent to life and show various configurations possible including the basic flatbed configuration, the cargo box utility module, a topper module, a recreational camper top module and the removable side rail module.

rivian_patent-module-bed-configuration-1-jpg.283

rivian_patent-module-bed-configuration-2-jpg.284
Animated composite of all modules:

rivianforums_rivianmodules_animated-gif.356

Base flatbed:
rivian-modules-1-rivianforums-jpg.347

Cargo box utility module:
rivian-modules-2-rivianforums-jpg.348

With recreational caps / toppers:

rivian-modules-3-rivianforums-jpg.349

rivian-modules-4-rivianforums-jpg.350

Side rail module:

rivian-modules-5-rivianforums-jpg.351

rivian-modules-6-rivianforums-jpg.352

Lineup:

rivian-modules-7-rivianforums-jpg.353

Now that I think about it, a modular pickup truck bed is an idea that seems like it should have come along a lot sooner. I know a couple guys who race dirt bikes and would absolutely love being able to swap a full bed for that siderail configuration on the weekends.

That's one of the best ideas I've seen thus far for an electric pick-up. However, I do wonder, where the hell do you store that stuff when you're not using it? You'd need a shed to store all your truck parts.
The bed panels go in the garage and the truck stays out in the driveway, of course. That's what garages are for after all, storing everything except the cars that they were meant for. :P

I saw a YouTube video once on this truck. Rivian's trucks may not look overly imposing, but for what they offer and what they want to accomplish, they are certainly an intriguing company. Almost like the Tesla of trucks and off-roading. Only that Rivian isn't hellbent on taking over the world or anything. I do like what Rivian is trying to accomplish.

It's just been announced Rivian is receiving a $500 million investment from Ford. Following this and the investment from Amazon, Rivian certainly has the potential to be a major disruptor in the utility vehicles, especially if it can beat the Tesla pick-up truck to the market.

So do you think we're going to have a Tesla vs. Rivian rivalry to ensue the next few years? And if so, can Rivian compete with everything in Tesla's lineup?

So do you think we're going to have a Tesla vs. Rivian rivalry to ensue the next few years? And if so, can Rivian compete with everything in Tesla's lineup?

Rivian hasn't shown anything outside of utility vehicles so I think Tesla has the advantage in terms of regular passenger cars. However, with Ford on board, Rivian have the power to prevent Tesla from being a market leader for electric commercial and offroad vehicles, should Tesla wish to enter those segments.

Back