• No, it's an unnecessary feature.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Skygrasper550

Back and forth between gaming and Gunpla
Premium
Philippines
Philippines
skygrasper_550--
So I've been browsing through the threads here and have been seeing posts from people talking about the garage's Stockyard feature. It's interesting how this has quite a mixed reaction from the playerbase.

Gran Turismo 6's garage system is different from previous GT games in that the Garage itself has a limit of 500 cars. This will definitely pose a problem for people who want to collect all the cars in the game, or have duplicates of the same car. This is where the Stockyard comes into play. If you want to get more than 500 cars, you'll have to transfer some cars to the Stockyard in order to make room for future upcoming cars.

I've seen quite a few people finding this feature unnecessary, as they preferred having all cars loaded at once on screen once they opened their Garage, just like in GT5. And perhaps the biggest issue that people have is the loading time of the Stockyard. Yes it does take quite a while to load just another area of the garage, which for some reason I can't comprehend as well :dunce:

But for me, I find this feature quite handy, because it allows me to sort out and tidy up my garage. Over time, I find my garage cluttered with cars I don't use often or have never used at all (because for collection's sake). Having a separate space to store these other cars allows me to see only the cars that I frequently use, thus reducing my browsing time through my garage, instead of having to go through the whole list.

So what's your opinion about the Stockyard feature? Yay? Or Nay?

Hate it but what can you do? Its an old game. From another era. An inelegant era.

I honestly dont bother with collecting lots of cars but the gameplay style kind of warrants it, ie. French cars and American muscle cars seasonals. You buy cars to extend the life of seasonals and try them out. This to me is better than the main game.

And now I'm in the situation where I have excess credits and need a place to sink them.

I wish they were better at organising cars.

ie. French race cars over 650? French street cars? American race cars? Japanese street.

They need garages where you can only look at the classification you're interested in.

Also fold the damn 'tuner' cars into race or whatever. Its an orphan category.

I can't speak for everyone but theres a good chance nobody likes the stockyard system I mean I would say atleast one upside to it but I can't think of it and I hate it.

You could accomplish the same tidying up or organizing feature just by having a single garage and tagging cars that you want to hide in the background. Every car stays in it's proper dealership and the only cars visible are those you want visible. The rest are available of course, just by tagging a box that might say, "View all cars" or something along those lines.

IMO it's a completely unnecessary feature.

You could accomplish the same tidying up or organizing feature just by having a single garage and tagging cars that you want to hide in the background. Every car stays in it's proper dealership and the only cars visible are those you want visible. The rest are available of course, just by tagging a box that might say, "View all cars" or something along those lines.

IMO it's a completely unnecessary feature.

Basically this. The benefits can be had in a more useful way with any number of alternate systems.

The problem that it "solves" should never exist in a game with as many cars as GT6. If you're going to have 1000+ cars, design a user friendly way to interact with them from the get go.

Hate it but what can you do? Its an old game. From another era. An inelegant era.

The lack of elegance has nothing to do with the era it's from imo, but more to do with PD's lack of elegant design solutions. As has been pointed out before, the simple answer would be to have multiple garages limited to 500 cars each, that way we'd have immediate access to all our cars & loading times wouldn't be affected. Think PD, Think!

VBR
The lack of elegance has nothing to do with the era it's from imo, but more to do with PD's lack of elegant design solutions. As has been pointed out before, the simple answer would be to have multiple garages limited to 500 cars each, that way we'd have immediate access to all our cars & loading times wouldn't be affected. Think PD, Think!

Seems pretty elegant to me. One garage, one stockyard. Put the cars you never use in the stockyard.

You can't have a game iterating over an endless list of items, so even with several garages it would effectively be one garage (that is used for iterations) and several stockyards (that would only be accessed when you activate them).

I find the stock yard a little slow to access to close down which is slightly annoying. However, my biggest bug bear about the stock yard is that the cars you own do not link the dealership. I often have to check a car in stock yard before I buy a new one. How hard can it be to link stock yard to dealership like they do with the main garage?

I find the stock yard a little slow to access to close down which is slightly annoying. However, my biggest bug bear about the stock yard is that the cars you own do not link the dealership. I often have to check a car in stock yard before I buy a new one. How hard can it be to link stock yard to dealership like they do with the main garage?

Very hard if you need to load the entire list before you can start iterating over it.

A possible way to fix it could be to keep a separate list of cars that are owned, but every time you sold a car it would still have to iterate through the original list to check wether or not you own another car of the same kind that you just sold.

A possible way to fix that problem could be to store a quantity in the owned cars list, and every time you sell a car it subtracts by 1 from that item.

Seems pretty elegant to me. One garage, one stockyard. Put the cars you never use in the stockyard.

You can't have a game iterating over an endless list of items, so even with several garages it would effectively be one garage (that is used for iterations) and several stockyards (that would only be accessed when you activate them).

I can't see any elegance in not being able to access most of the games cars in an online lobby. If you like the stockyard, then good luck with that, but you are in the minority.

No, it wouldn't be one garage, like I said there would be several, & each garage would contain a seperate list of cars.

VBR
I can't see any elegance in not being able to access most of the games cars in an online lobby. If you like the stockyard, then good luck with that, but you are in the minority.

On the contrary, I don't think the majority even have 500 cars yet.

No, it wouldn't be one garage, like I said there would be several, & each garage would contain a seperate list of cars.

It would be several garages, but only one would be active at a time, making the other garages essentially stockyards, leaving them inactive until you switch from one garage to another.

Either that, or the game would have to iterate over all of the garages, which would be worse than having one huge garage.

On the contrary, I don't think the majority even have 500 cars yet.

That's an assupmtion, why not put it to the test & run a poll to actually find out.

It would be several garages, but only one would be active at a time, making the other garages essentially stockyards, leaving them inactive until you switch from one garage to another.

No, they would not be stockyards, they would be garages. The stockyard is very slow to open & save, the garage isn't.

...the game would have to iterate over all of the garages, which would be worse than having one huge garage.

No it wouldn't, it would only "iterate" over the garage that was currently open.

Never saw the point. I wouldn't mind the car thumbnails not showing once you surpassed 500 cars but the stockyard is terrible. I put my FIT RS in it once to test it out and took me over 5 minutes to put it in and take it out again. They should just up the garage count.

VBR
That's an assupmtion, why not put it to the test & run a poll to actually find out.

It's an educated guess. I've got somewhere between 400 to 500 cars and I've played since the game was released. Sure, some people like to collect all the cars, but I don't think they're in majority.

No, they would not be stockyards, they would be garages. The stockyard is very slow to open & save, the garage isn't.

But why is the garage not slow to open and save? Because it's an active list. When you open the stockyard it needs to load a list that has stayed dormant, and when you close the stockyard it needs to save and close that list again until you open it next time.

Having several garages staying active wouldn't be an option because it would be just as heavy to work with as a single unlimited garage, with the difference of it being a much more complex solution, which would make it a worse option than the single garage.

No it wouldn't, it would only "iterate" over the garage that was currently open.

Which would make the garages slow to open and save when you switch between them. Just like the stockyard.

VBR
Less than 1/5 players has 100 cars, meaning far, far less have anything approaching 500 cars, so that part is accurate at least. Now that I think about it, it raises a couple of questions. If GT is supposedly a car collecting game and is thinking about retaining standards, why do so few players accumulate a large garage? Kind of tells me the vast majority of players aren't interested in the vast majority of cars. And another thing is, we had no stockyard in GT5, so why do we have one in GT6?

Another pain in bottom is the fact you can't access it from an online lobby, so if you want a specific car you have to back out / leave a room, wait for it to load / save, find the room you were racing in & hopefully once you've found it the race hasn't started.

Completely **** idea.

Useless,Unneeded,Unnecessary,Distasteful,and such a dead little feature that I bet Kaz and the PD staff wouldn't even use it in their GT6 copies.

Summarized all peoples answers here. (Except one)

I would prefer my cars not being listed by country. It's annoying having to scroll down the list to Italy to find an Alfa Romeo when it should just be towards the top of the list. Just A-Z from Acura to Volvo.

The way you can buy any car any time limits the need for a garage - And I tend to drive a few cars a lot, If I dabble in a car for a few hundred miles...

I used the stockyard, once. I had a bad time in the Jaguar XKE and in a fit of grumpy old Git and put the Jag in the pit of despair to Rupture in Purulence. I just checked in on it... festering away on its own.

I'm up to 400 or so cars in my garage now, but seriously I could lose half of those without any pain on my side - simply due to the fact you can buy any car effortlessly.

It is a useless and idiotic feature because you can't use them online without taking them off of the stockyard which is completely stupid because you put them there to be able to buy other cars and still have access to the stockyard cars but you won't once you put cars in there. We wouldn't have that problem if they didn't force us to have 500 cars in our garage.

But why is the garage not slow to open and save? Because it's an active list. When you open the stockyard it needs to load a list that has stayed dormant, and when you close the stockyard it needs to save and close that list again until you open it next time.

Having several garages staying active wouldn't be an option because it would be just as heavy to work with as a single unlimited garage, with the difference of it being a much more complex solution, which would make it a worse option than the single garage.

Which would make the garages slow to open and save when you switch between them. Just like the stockyard.

I disagree.

Another reason with the stockyard is that it can result in either buggy or deleted cars somehow. I mean, if PD would remove the Stockyard and increase the garage limit to 9,999 cars (possibly in what Kaz would famously say, "in a future update"), it would've made more sense.

Does anybody has the contact details of the building company Polyphony Garage Developer Pty. Ltd.?

I urgently need extension added to my garage!!!
The number of my cars has exceeded 500 long time ago(over 630 GranTurismo cars owned at the moment and willing to collect them all).
This creates an issue when there is a need to change the car for a certain event and it is not possible to have all the eligible cars presented.

P.S. In my opinion it is the final time to allow GranTurismo 6 game owners use it on both PS3 & PS4 consoles.

Back