The Stockyard: Yay or Nay?

Do you like GT6's Stockyard feature?

• Yes, I find it quite useful.

• No, it's an unnecessary feature.

Results are only viewable after voting.
VBR
I disagree.

Why do you disagree? Why would multiple small garages work better than a single big garage? What problems with the single big garage would be solved by having multiple small garages?

It's easy to say that feature X sucks and that feature Y would be so much better and that developers Z are so dumb when the only experience you have of game design is what you see on the screen when you play the games.

As it is, I hate it for all the reasons already stated.

The loading time and the omission of an ownership check mark are unforgivable but if they were fixed, I'd use it to get rid of some credits.

Realistically, 500 is more than enough space to buy all of the key cars in the game.

I didn't vote as it could be good but it isn't as it is.

Why do you disagree? Why would multiple small garages work better than a single big garage? What problems with the single big garage would be solved by having multiple small garages?

It's easy to say that feature X sucks and that feature Y would be so much better and that developers Z are so dumb when the only experience you have of game design is what you see on the screen when you play the games.

I've already explained that, but you don't seem to comprehend it & just want to argue. Bye bye.

One of my all time favorite games had this feature
124060-auto-modellista-xbox-screenshot-when-you-begin-the-game-you.jpg

But, in today's gaming world, this would be more appropriate:
brickellhouse-automated-parking-garage-2BrickellVida.jpg

VBR
I've already explained that, but you don't seem to comprehend it & just want to argue. Bye bye.

You explained that if it would work it would solve some problems. But you never once dealt with the problem of how it would work. You just assumed that "since they would be garages, they would be fast".

And that's the benefit of being an armchair game designer: you don't ever need to think about how a game actually works. You can just point finger all day at real game designers who have to work with real problems.

Think PD, Think!

^ They probably thought about this longer and harder than you have. Realistically, the choise between "Stockyard yay or nay" would probably be:

• A: Have a limited garage size and a stockyard for storing additional cars.
  • B: Have a limited garage size and that's it - no stockyard.

I think the stockyard is basically useless. A much simpler approach would be to up the limit of Favorites. I mean, 100 favorites is the limit? If the garage held 1000, and you could arrange 500 favorites by PP, milage, manufacturer ect., I think players would be happier without the stockyard all together and all your owned cars would show as purchased at the dealerships.

A nit I have with the garage implementation is baring a car from the selection list due to wrong tires or exceeding the tune limit for the event when there is a tune sheet that would fit within the restrictions if selected and the tires changed to the best available that is within limits.

I've been playing GT5 recently and quick car changes are so slow. I forgot how slow. At least with GT6, all your well used cars won't be in the stockyard so they will be easily accessible - especially online when a quick change between auto-start races is essential:tup:

Since I own 750+ cars I understand some quirks of having 500 cars limit, but as few already pointed out, garage limit is not there because someone (PD,Kaz,gamedesigner,SONY,imaginary villain,your ex ...) choose to mess with ones enjoyment, but because there is a limit what you can cram into PS3 256mb.
If garage would be unlimited and maybe game would crash half a times when entering garage or would become unresponsive beyond control, then we all would probably moan what the **** PD was thinking.So, I still like what they do, more than what it was on GT5.

On the other hand, I would like to see cars I own and have them in stockyard as "owned" in dealership.That would save me some time, when I'm not sure am I owning a car or not and i have to do annoying travel to stockyard and back.

I don't understand the thinking behind this. It wasn't in any GT before GT6 and we all managed just fine. One step forward 9 steps back.

The only thing I remotely like about it is the ability to store those god awful Vision GT cars. (Just my humble opinion on those things) Banished them forever! Now I have addional spots for real cars.

I do know a few who refuse to buy standard cars. Those garages will never see 500 cars.

Cheers gents. Go Bruins!

For me the stockard is not useful. Besides the fact it can be glitchy, I will never own more than 2000 cars in GT6.

NO! Remove it, stupid feature in the game. Or give us a choice, for example (Not putting cars in stockyard may result in longer loading time) At least some warning or choice! I hate it, over 1200+ cars in the game.. Not helpful especially us car collectors. Worst feature in GT6. I`d be happy with none of the VGT Cars, or no course maker (Still not here...) and the stockyard completely gone! I hate It that much! Sick of the sight of it, never mind I rarely play GT6 now its got so boring I cant even bare to put the disk in. :yuck:

Very hard if you need to load the entire list before you can start iterating over it.

A possible way to fix it could be to keep a separate list of cars that are owned, but every time you sold a car it would still have to iterate through the original list to check wether or not you own another car of the same kind that you just sold.

A possible way to fix that problem could be to store a quantity in the owned cars list, and every time you sell a car it subtracts by 1 from that item.
I'm no expert on game developing, but what I don't get is how the player statistics menu/your community profile page knows how many cars that you have and can recognize the cars in your stockyard (since the total count can go past 500) but the dealership cannot.
As for my opinion on the stockyard...well, some of you most likely know what my opinion is, since it's the topic I am most vocal about. =P But yes, I can't stand it.
As I said before, I would rather have the garage limit removed or increased to GT5's limit, instead of the course maker. That's how much I hate it.

I'm no expert on game developing, but what I don't get is how the player statistics menu/your community profile page knows how many cars that you have and can recognize the cars in your stockyard (since the total count can go past 500) but the dealership cannot.

I don't know the details there, but one possibility is that it's simply a counter that goes +1 every time you obtain a car and -1 every time you remove a car.

The favourite brand stats, for instance, doesn't actually count the cars in your garage / stockyard, it just goes +1 every time you obtain a car of a specific brand.

The top speed, longest distance, most wins stats doesn't access your garage / stockyard either, instead it saves a snapshot of your car as it was when the record was achieved.

I find the idea good, but how it's implemented in the game is poor.

If they do keep the stockyard for GT7, I'd like to see these changes:

- Scalable size. Let's say there is max 5000 garage slots. You can set 2500 in main garage + 2500 stockyard, 100 main + 4500 stockyard, or 4000 main + 1000 stockyard. Of course, the loading times are proportional to the size you pick.

- Cars in stockyard are customizable and usable without transferring to main garage. Essentially it's a second garage, the only difference is slightly longer initial loading times. PS4 having better CPU and RAM should solve the issue hopefully.

- Keep the "purchased" tickmarks in dealership even if the car is in stockyard.

Or they could just implement a tag system.

Honestly, the whole thing should just be a simple database. Strip out all the silly graphics slowing it down and you can have a million cars in a "garage", or one car each in a million garages, or anything in between. And sort by anything you like. Build it so that it works at a fundamental level without pretty pictures, and then go from there.

After that they can add stuff to pretty it up only if it doesn't get in the way of the actual functionality of the database, which is to let you find the car you want quickly and easily. If it has to be a text list, make it a text list. But given that any phone can cope with displaying a list of thumbnails alongside some text, I doubt they'd have to get that basic.

GT5's slow garage isn't just because of the size, it's due to the bloated nature of the entire game. Item collecting was significantly reduced between the games, size of save files shrinked roughly 10 times from 5 to 6. GT5's garage also has multiple thumbnails for every car and, as far as I understand the save file, loads a seperate database on top to know which cars are set to shared with friends (I don't know how big the impact of this is, but it's just one example of ineffective data storing, you can't even delete a car that's flagged as shared...). And despite all this, from clicking the garage icon in the main menu to having the full Premium list ready to scroll takes less than 5 seconds even in a very big garage like mine, it's not as bad as some make it out to be. Especially when the other solution is to have this impractical seperate lists that takes 30 seconds to load and save every time.

To me the lack of an option to bump the garage size to at least 1,000 (when protest against stockyard isn't new with the early data loss issues) is another sign how much PD neglects feedback.

Honestly, the whole thing should just be a simple database. Strip out all the silly graphics slowing it down and you can have a million cars in a "garage", or one car each in a million garages, or anything in between. And sort by anything you like. Build it so that it works at a fundamental level without pretty pictures, and then go from there.

Actually this is a good idea. From GT1-4 the garage has always been a simple name list (with a small square for colour). GT5 has the option to change into a list IIRC, but it doesn't save when you quit the game. I don't see a reason why PD needs the change it for GT5-6. Especially since the thumbnails often fail to update properly (if you install carbon hoods and other visual mods). I hope GT7 goes back to the simple & functional list.

And despite all this, from clicking the garage icon in the main menu to having the full Premium list ready to scroll takes less than 5 seconds even in a very big garage like mine, it's not as bad as some make it out to be. Especially when the other solution is to have this impractical seperate lists that takes 30 seconds to load and save every time.

To me the lack of an option to bump the garage size to at least 1,000 (when protest against stockyard isn't new with the early data loss issues) is another sign how much PD neglects feedback.

I think GT6 has been a step up in terms of loading times in general, except the stockyard. The issue is just the main garage is too small. I agree 1000 cars is probably the sweet spot between having enough space and quick loading.

Back in GT5 my garage is almost full (~1800 cars) and loading it takes 12 seconds (yes I actually timed it). It became a chore just to swap cars and I just ended up using a handful of cars to do all the races. With GT6 I find I'm using a wider variety of cars because the whole process is a lot quicker (the Start menu is a godsend). The only problem is I keep running out of garage space and I would put cars in the stockyard for "later", but ended up never using it anyway because it's such a pain to load.

I'm okay with it since it gives us more garage space.

Quite useful if you're also a race car collector like me. :lol:

Meh, it's useless for me since I only have a couple of cars which I really use and probably will never hit the 500 cars mark in the garage. However, I will try to see if it's really a pain to recover the cars back from the Stockyard as what some mentioned here.

The stockyard seems pointless to me, but I have a hunch that there may be some technical reason behind its existence. So rather than saying yea or nay, I'll just say that hopefully they're able to make the PS4 work in such a way that they don't need it for GT7.

I thought the garage in GT5 was better.. though to be honest at this point I would much rather just prefer a list organized by the manufacturer.
Yes, I think the GT5 garage layout was also better. The annoying thing was that it took longer to switch cars, but I thought the of GT5s garage is better than GT6's.

Personally i've never used it.

Which in itself is surprising given the garage limit on the normal garage. I don't think i played GT6 as much as previous GT games. :/

Back