The Thrill Is Gone

• Thread starter war_ops_84
  • 45 comments
United States
United States
Within the past month or two, I've become bored with GTS. I still consider it a great game, but I no longer feel the same kind of thrill I once did.

It started back when I got disconnected on the last lap (the fifteenth lap!) of a GR.1 race at Interlagos. I was DR:A+ at the time and cruising towards a victory over the rest of the lobby, which had multiple DR:A drivers in it. Instead of a well-earned victory and a significant bump in my DR, I got a no placement and my DR dropped by like 4,000 or 5,000 points back down to A. It was kind of traumatizing, to be honest. And I think it caused me subconsciously to try less hard afterwards. I figured, why bother grinding and sweating these races when I can just get disconnected at the last moment and have all my hard work flushed down the toilet? Still, I kept doing some races here and there because I still wanted to be in races. But after the last update, I pretty much gave up on GTS. For one, I hate that they changed the daily races to weekly races. For another, it felt like the driving mechanics/physics had changed in some way. I don't know if I was just imagining things, but I felt really off after the update. So I'm at the point where I barely race at all. And I feel no strong desire to return any time soon. I'm not done forever. I still plan to get a racing wheel and pedals at some point, but I doubt I'll do much racing before then. Anyone had a similar experience?

U‘ll Be back, if you are a real racer and if racing in General is your thing. U won’t find that racing experience in any other Console Racer, trust me ;)

Yeah, I said I'd be back after I get a wheel and pedals. But until then, I'm basically done. I'm grinded out. And I want to reiterate that I really do not like weekly races. I want them to go back to daily races.

Edit: I can't be sure, but I think you have to grind a lot harder in order to be competitive with just a controller. And that's probably a big reason why I feel so burned out.

Last edited:
The thrill does go away a bit, especially racing the same people night after night with similar results night after night. I've long ago stopped focusing on DR and get my thrill from clean overtakes, especially the ones where you closely follow a car for multiple laps and finally find that opening for a clean pass. No other game has managed to consistently deliver that kind of racing.

You can even get disconnected at the result screen. If it happens before the "online save" message flashes you're DNF even though you already finished. It's happened to me lol.

If you want to feel a sense of achievement for getting faster besides DR you can also look at you K' Speed Score on Kudos prime. That compares your qualifying pace with everyone else. Of course with weekly races those qualifying times are a lot harder to do well in nowadays. Especially with tuning and corner cutting at Sarthe this week. 3:19s on pole that only run 3:25 at best in race, hmm.

I don't think the thrill of clean close racing will ever go away. The problem is, as more people leave sport mode behind the less close the racing becomes. Matchmaking is often starved of entries. Everyone needs to race more! I'm doing my part, closing in on 4000 races :)

The thrill does go away a bit, especially racing the same people night after night with similar results night after night. I've long ago stopped focusing on DR and get my thrill from clean overtakes, especially the ones where you closely follow a car for multiple laps and finally find that opening for a clean pass. No other game has managed to consistently deliver that kind of racing.

You can even get disconnected at the result screen. If it happens before the "online save" message flashes you're DNF even though you already finished. It's happened to me lol.

If you want to feel a sense of achievement for getting faster besides DR you can also look at you K' Speed Score on Kudos prime. That compares your qualifying pace with everyone else. Of course with weekly races those qualifying times are a lot harder to do well in nowadays. Especially with tuning and corner cutting at Sarthe this week. 3:19s on pole that only run 3:25 at best in race, hmm.

I don't think the thrill of clean close racing will ever go away. The problem is, as more people leave sport mode behind the less close the racing becomes. Matchmaking is often starved of entries. Everyone needs to race more! I'm doing my part, closing in on 4000 races :)

Thanks for telling me about that K Speed Score. Is the K Speed Score a rank? Mine is 72, so what does that mean?

And, yes, people need to race more, but I think that's on PD to fix. They need to find a better way to attract less skilled drivers to the online racing. But it seems like they don't really listen that much, so who knows.

Do you feel like you’re losing your favourite game?

Somewhat. That disconnect was really demoralizing. And when they changed the daily races to weekly races, I pretty much gave up. I'm too burned out to keep grinding as hard as I do. Maybe it will improve after I switch from a controller to wheel/pedals.

Its the only racing game I really enjoyed in the past years....well, actually since GT1 when I first got my PS1 with it. Oh the memories...
But just like any game, if they can't support the game properly, or added enough content to hold you for years, it will eventually get dry and boring.
And yes I know, they added free stuff, which is great, but the choice of tracks and cars were mostly poor. The only great thing they added were GT2 cars and Monza/La Sarthe (which is nearly undrivable with the track limits they chose for it)

GTS sadly has too many flaws to keep you entertained. At least me and obviously you and many others.
A few points that made me take a break from the game are as followed:

- the broken penalty system (pretty obviously)
- the lack of community management from PD (I hate the lack of interaction we have with the Devs and the weird posts from Kaz)
- sport mode changes that made the best mode worse (removed tuning, weekly change and more)
- lack of tracks and cars (there are some great tracks, but simply not enough to keep you for a year or more)
- the worst collision model in any racing game (what the hell is this? Billiard simulator?)
- bad BoP changes (How can this be so hard? Real world racing series can do it, but a game can't?)
-

I have to add the rest tomorrow, gotta leave now :scared::embarrassed:

U‘ll Be back, if you are a real racer and if racing in General is your thing. U won’t find that racing experience in any other Console Racer, trust me ;)

Depends... If you're a private lobbies racer in organized leagues and championships you have better racing experiences than GTS in console racers, even some with license system and better FFB quality playing with a wheel.

The best thing from GTS is the sport mode thanks to the matchmaking (F1 2018 has also matchmaking now an licence system), but making daily races "weekly" is for me a bad decision from PD... And in general sport mode lacks love from PD... Still waiting to see more events, special events, long races with full damage... So much potential wasted in my opinion ..

The last Tyre model upgrade now that I have been driving quite a lot of different cars since 1.23 and 1.24 isn't great either... Quite some cars without aids are quite more difficult to drive than cars in assetto Corsa without aids...

Let's see what happens in the next updates, but for me the thrill and quite some interest in GTS is gone also for me...

I'm having more fun and great times in other console racers for now

Watch this and thank me later:
Edit: please ignore the rally part :D:D

I admit, the thrill came back for like ten seconds. But then...

internet points come and go. Such is life.

How dare you try to bring life into this.

Its the only racing game I really enjoyed in the past years....well, actually since GT1 when I first got my PS1 with it. Oh the memories...
But just like any game, if they can't support the game properly, or added enough content to hold you for years, it will eventually get dry and boring.
And yes I know, they added free stuff, which is great, but the choice of tracks and cars were mostly poor. The only great thing they added were GT2 cars and Monza/La Sarthe (which is nearly undrivable with the track limits they chose for it)

GTS sadly has too many flaws to keep you entertained. At least me and obviously you and many others.
A few points that made me take a break from the game are as followed:

- the broken penalty system (pretty obviously)
- the lack of community management from PD (I hate the lack of interaction we have with the Devs and the weird posts from Kaz)
- sport mode changes that made the best mode worse (removed tuning, weekly change and more)
- lack of tracks and cars (there are some great tracks, but simply not enough to keep you for a year or more)
- the worst collision model in any racing game (what the hell is this? Billiard simulator?)
- bad BoP changes (How can this be so hard? Real world racing series can do it, but a game can't?)
-

I have to add the rest tomorrow, gotta leave now :scared::embarrassed:

Maybe GTS is just an elaborate experiment being conducted by Kaz to see who gets to live inside his underground racing Utopia.

hahahahaha

I will let you live this time, but further insolence will not go unpunished.
Thanks for letting me have a a little fun at your expense :P

In all seriousness though, try taking a break. Ive been playing GT games online a lot since GT5 came out, so I’ve been in your position with Gran Turismo many times before. Each time I’ve taken a break and come back, my enjoyment of the GT games is renewed. Furthermore, I find find when I often get a little better when I return - not entirely sure why, I think it’s something to do with having to refocus, and consciously think about things that become routine over time.

If you’re into other types of games, give them a go for a few weeks or a month, then come back.

Being an A+ driver, I’d guess you are pretty good. Maybe try a different game, like PCARS or AC. I can definitely say that my time in pcars has made me multiple times better in GTS, just because of how much more sensitive you have to be with your inputs in that game. I haven’t tried AC myself, but it’s supposed to have really good feeling physics and feedback, better than GTS or PCARS. Even if you don’t get into competitive racing in those games, just getting to a point where you can hotlap at a good pace, when you come back to GTS, you’ll be like, “whoa, I’m driving on rails!!” Also if you like experiencing real world circuits, both titles have a good selection to offer (but pcars track list is the best!)

Thanks for letting me have a a little fun at your expense :P

In all seriousness though, try taking a break. Ive been playing GT games online a lot since GT5 came out, so I’ve been in your position with Gran Turismo many times before. Each time I’ve taken a break and come back, my enjoyment of the GT games is renewed. Furthermore, I find find when I often get a little better when I return - not entirely sure why, I think it’s something to do with having to refocus, and consciously think about things that become routine over time.

If you’re into other types of games, give them a go for a few weeks or a month, then come back.

Being an A+ driver, I’d guess you are pretty good. Maybe try a different game, like PCARS or AC. I can definitely say that my time in pcars has made me multiple times better in GTS, just because of how much more sensitive you have to be with your inputs in that game. I haven’t tried AC myself, but it’s supposed to have really good feeling physics and feedback, better than GTS or PCARS. Even if you don’t get into competitive racing in those games, just getting to a point where you can hotlap at a good pace, when you come back to GTS, you’ll be like, “whoa, I’m driving on rails!!” Also if you like experiencing real world circuits, both titles have a good selection to offer (but pcars track list is the best!)

I won't come back until I get a wheel and pedals. At the level I'm trying to compete, a controller is just too stressful.

I might look into some other games though. But playing another race game besides GT feels like cheating or something.

Within the past month or two, I've become bored with GTS. I still consider it a great game, but I no longer feel the same kind of thrill I once did.

It started back when I got disconnected on the last lap (the fifteenth lap!) of a GR.1 race at Interlagos. I was DR:A+ at the time and cruising towards a victory over the rest of the lobby, which had multiple DR:A drivers in it. Instead of a well-earned victory and a significant bump in my DR, I got a no placement and my DR dropped by like 4,000 or 5,000 points back down to A. It was kind of traumatizing, to be honest. And I think it caused me subconsciously to try less hard afterwards. I figured, why bother grinding and sweating these races when I can just get disconnected at the last moment and have all my hard work flushed down the toilet? Still, I kept doing some races here and there because I still wanted to be in races. But after the last update, I pretty much gave up on GTS. For one, I hate that they changed the daily races to weekly races. For another, it felt like the driving mechanics/physics had changed in some way. I don't know if I was just imagining things, but I felt really off after the update. So I'm at the point where I barely race at all. And I feel no strong desire to return any time soon. I'm not done forever. I still plan to get a racing wheel and pedals at some point, but I doubt I'll do much racing before then. Anyone had a similar experience?
I gave up on GTS a month or two ago, I am slowly enjoying GTS again now :).

Is it even possible to lose 4k-5k DR from one single race?

I thought you could only lose a max of 160 points per opponent you finish behind?

That's only 3k per my math, and that's assuming low DR players, not A racers. Again, I could be totally wrong.

Thanks for telling me about that K Speed Score. Is the K Speed Score a rank? Mine is 72, so what does that mean?

Here's the discussion about the K' stats and K' speed score
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...s-profiles-stats-cars-feedback.362085/page-13

No leader boards, higher score is better.

And, yes, people need to race more, but I think that's on PD to fix. They need to find a better way to attract less skilled drivers to the online racing. But it seems like they don't really listen that much, so who knows.

Games have long proven that any sense of progress is what keeps people going. PD completely ignores that and instead loves to beat people with a stick. SR Down, penalties, DR reset most of the game is focused on the negative and the payouts for online racing are insignificant for the casual player.

Add rewards for clean passes, clean laps, longest drafting, best sector times. People love to grind, give them something to focus on other than the dirty drivers in the race.

I thought you could only lose a max of 160 points per opponent you finish behind?

That's only 3k per my math, and that's assuming low DR players, not A racers. Again, I could be totally wrong.

You can lose an extra 1500 for going down a rank. You can lose a lot more when SR falls below a certain threshold. Yet indeed, the max you can lose without a DR reset is 19*160+1500 = 4540. And that requires every other player in the race to be 40k lower in DR than you. That has happened only once to me, DR.A in a room full of DR.D, it was an easy win for 16 DR, yet a disconnect would have been 2560 loss. (17 people finished, I don't think you lose points to other disconnects)

Last edited:
I can relate. Sometimes you just do things too much. I’ve been there grinding away for years pushing myself to the limit IRL when I was in college. My favorite sport of my life became like a chore or job.
It’s like golf. My good friend is excellent and plays a lot in season. Funny thing is when he goes on vacation and doesn’t play for a while when he comes back right at first first few times he’s even better. Fresh outlook. It’s almost like the more he plays he starts overthinking it and does worse. He will last a while then get himself frustrated and takes time doing other things like a strange frustration cycle.
For myself, I really enjoy the game, but I have not burned out yet or even learned all the tracks. I’ve gotten proficient enough to remain at b s and it seems like a nice home for me since I don’t treat it like an obsession.
For me an online race is a real event kind of thing, I might play 3 races in a row or one and done. With in car with a wheel it’s very intense feeling to me still and too much so to race race race race race online. I don’t think I could ever enter race after race online in a sim game unless it was a lobby with friends. With friends private lobby it’s different from the sport thing. If and when I burnout no pun intended I will do other things. Funny how the mind is. Sometimes you can even just wake up one day and you’ve had enough (with almost anything.)
I definitely understand the sentiment.

I won't come back until I get a wheel and pedals. At the level I'm trying to compete, a controller is just too stressful.

I might look into some other games though. But playing another race game besides GT feels like cheating or something.

Any high level competition is stressful regardless of controller type. Everyone at those levels want to win, and everyone is trying to do their best, the competition is relentless. Its brilliant, but you cant rest.

Play other games, I sure do. If you don't feel like playing, dont force yourself, it saps the fun out of it. Sometimes a break is good. Do some campaign mode as that way you keep in the mindset but it doesn't have the stress. I play War Thunder when I'm not playing GT, its good to play something else rather than consume yourself within a single game.

I'm not sure of the exact figure. I'm just eyeballing my DR numbers from Kudos Prime. It happened around day 30.

Any high level competition is stressful regardless of controller type. Everyone at those levels want to win, and everyone is trying to do their best, the competition is relentless. Its brilliant, but you cant rest.

Play other games, I sure do. If you don't feel like playing, dont force yourself, it saps the fun out of it. Sometimes a break is good. Do some campaign mode as that way you keep in the mindset but it doesn't have the stress. I play War Thunder when I'm not playing GT, its good to play something else rather than consume yourself within a single game.

But wouldn't you agree that it's MORE stressful when you're racing under suboptimal conditions?

The thrill is gone because the content is lacking. How many times can you race Group 3 at Maggiore, or Group 4 at Alsace, and remain interested?

Honestly, as long as I'm winning, I'm having fun. But I have to grind really hard in order to get those wins. And I find that the cost is no longer worth the reward.

Last edited:
I think every game is like this.

I admit GT Sport was one of the best sort of "first impression" games I've ever experienced. Ok there's some obvious lack of content and further to this, the monthly bi-monthly updates does a lot to re-energise the game but that doesnt last very long... I mean I'd say I'd get maybe a months worth of enjoyment from every DLC with the track experience and whatnot... but again I only play 26 miles a day.

I think maybe you guys should look back on how long PD supported GT5/6 to gauge just how long this one will last.

I feel for PD in a way... ie. they must put in a lot of work for each DLC pack and we sort of enjoy it for a little while and wait for the next one.

This cycle continues until they had enough and need to make money from their next title.

:lol: yes, sorry I couldn’t help myself. Both of my posts are lines from the intro movie in Gran Turismo 2, “My Favourite Game” by the Cardigans.

I just watched that and thought that's not quite right, that's not how I remember it. Then I did a search on the PAL version opening movie, and yep it was different. Same song, but given an EDM remix.

It makes me wonder why they changed it for different regions - While the EDM remix probably wouldn't have appealed to many people stateside at the time, the original would have worked well for both regions

Quit for a month or two, play something totally different (not just a different racing game). The mind needs variation and is easily bored.

im having burned out in iRacing VR, so I went to GTS. havent touch iRacing for many weeks.

And I start to treat GTS as a SIM and it quite enjoyable, for example

in iRacing , GT3 cars have gearbox protection, so I need to brake and downshift as RPM will allow. So I replicate the same thing in GTS, and it quite pleasure for the ears.

I use cockpit cam and sit 600mm from my 49 inch sony 4k hdr

Turned of HUD and use sound to know the opponents location

Stopped playing it months ago, and haven’t touched it since, been having far too much fun playing Driveclub with all the challenges and time trials against your friends and worldwide, something which this game is severely lacking ( unless they’ve been introduced since I stopped) the game just seems sterile to me, and isn’t gaming meant to be fun after all?

Back