The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
Not, is V4. You can find it in a stick in the shipping carton for, but not in the standart "shop" box (then you'd have to look under the steering wheel).

Too bad there's not a sticker on the outside of the retail box that says something along the lines of, "Version x" but alas wishful thinking. Where are you guys/gals (in the U.S.) buying from? Fry's randomly has it for $540 (after tax) & I've seen it on eBay for roughly the same price.

I see you live in Texas as well (I used to live close to Plano they have lots of good Fry's stores there). I purchased mine at Fry's and asked them to price match Amazon (so right at $540 + tax I think at the time). They can grant a 30 day trial period which is great. That way if you decide you do not want the product you can return it and not pay a restocking fee.

But T500rs is so much fun to use you will hopefully get hooked and not bring it back 👍

Now is a great time to jump in with Dirt 3, GT5, and F1 2011 on the horizon. Plus if you have a decent PC there is a plethora of quality games with iRacing blowing away everything console wise in the FFB department in a sick way. rFactor + real feel + GTR Evolution are great as well if you dont mind the dated graphics

* Unfortunately for you right now Amazon went back up to $562 atm. This wheel really is holding its' value

Last edited:
READ THIS THREAD, all kinds of problems with TM.. Way to many to list, not just one.

People were having problem with TM long before I posted.

Not sure why you try to pick on me but, Whatever.

The Ferrari F1 upgrade wheel prices are known!!!
They sell for around 100 to 150 euros including tax in the Netherlands!

http://www.centralpoint.nl/onbekend...l-upgrade-for-t500-rs-art-4160571-num-768569/
http://www.ictgoedkopen.nl/p/thrust...4160571/ferrari_f1_wheel_upgrade_for_t500_rs/

The TH8 RS shifter:

http://www.centralpoint.nl/gaming-c...ersnellingsbak-ps3-pc-art-4160579-num-766300/
http://www.ictgoedkopen.nl/p/thrustmaster/wimperkrullers/4160579/th8_rs_shifter/

Lowest price Netherlands T500 RS wheel (new), and this stays up-to-date btw:

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/279117/thrustmaster-t500-rs-zwart-pc-playstation-3.html

Now I have two things to buy at the end of the month, a shifter (for GT5 and so on) and a wheel so I can play F1 2011 :P

Too bad there's not a sticker on the outside of the retail box that says something along the lines of, "Version x" but alas wishful thinking. Where are you guys/gals (in the U.S.) buying from? Fry's randomly has it for $540 (after tax) & I've seen it on eBay for roughly the same price.

It does say the version on a sticker on the box!. Look for it when facing the front side of the box and then on the bottom of it. There are CE and FCC logo's, and there on the right is the sticker with version number.

Hope this helps! ;)

Last edited:
I see you live in Texas as well (I used to live close to Plano they have lots of good Fry's stores there). I purchased mine at Fry's and asked them to price match Amazon (so right at $540 + tax I think at the time). They can grant a 30 day trial period which is great. That way if you decide you do not want the product you can return it and not pay a restocking fee.

But T500rs is so much fun to use you will hopefully get hooked and not bring it back 👍

Now is a great time to jump in with Dirt 3, GT5, and F1 2011 on the horizon. Plus if you have a decent PC there is a plethora of quality games with iRacing blowing away everything console wise in the FFB department in a sick way. rFactor + real feel + GTR Evolution are great as well if you dont mind the dated graphics

* Unfortunately for you right now Amazon went back up to $562 atm. This wheel really is holding its' value

I've seen it twice for $500 + tax (so around $540 after tax) at Fry's within the last few months. Yup, there are 3 Fry's all within 30-mins from me. Not really a big fan of playing games on a PC. I just bought a new TV last week so I'm itching to get this & I'm sure I'll be hooked like you said. 👍

So I've already decided which wheel to get, just gotta figure out which race seat to get. I'm leaning towards the Obutto. I like the design however, I prefer a touring seat. Wish that option was available.

...It does say the version on a sticker on the box!. Look for it when facing the front side of the box and then on the bottom of it. There are CE and FCC logo's, and there on the right is the sticker with version number.

Hope this helps! ;)

Nice, thanks for the info! 👍 I've seen the retail box at Fry's yet, I didn't know there were multiple (updated) versions of it until reading this thread a few days ago. I'll just be patient & wait Fry's to have it on sale again & hopefully, they'll have the latest version at that time.

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!

I've had my wheel a week before the noise started. It's like the bearing is vibrating. Once the fan bearing warms up the bearing growl stops and it's just a normal fan noise. Literaly only about 7 - 8 hours use.

I've e-mailed support and am waiting for a response. I'm not too annoyed tbh, I did read this forum prior to purchase but I'm surprised it's happened so quickly.

If I get a fan that is the same as the original I'll seriously think about buying a better one myself. Looking at: -

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/60mmfans/mini-kaze-60

I think it may just swap right out, and if it's designed for a PC then it'll be used to running a lot!!

I've only been playing GT5 and have only had the FFB at 6. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhhhh!!!

I've had my wheel a week before the noise started. It's like the bearing is vibrating. Once the fan bearing warms up the bearing growl stops and it's just a normal fan noise. Literaly only about 7 - 8 hours use.

I've e-mailed support and am waiting for a response. I'm not too annoyed tbh, I did read this forum prior to purchase but I'm surprised it's happened so quickly.

If I get a fan that is the same as the original I'll seriously think about buying a better one myself. Looking at: -

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/60mmfans/mini-kaze-60

I think it may just swap right out, and if it's designed for a PC then it'll be used to running a lot!!

I've only been playing GT5 and have only had the FFB at 6. :rolleyes:

I had the same thing with mine. Only a week after purchase and it craps out.

I'm thinking of this one: http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=papst_60mm

16db instead of the 19.9db of yours. Plus Papst is a very reliable fan maker. I have experience with their fans in my pc.
Keep me up-to-date on this if you will.

Oh and I have a V2, if that matters...

Last edited:
What type of connector does the T500 RS use to connect to a fan (2, 3 or 4-pin pc harness) or do I have to solder the replacement?

I've seen some pics in this thread of the guts of this beast, and I believe it was a either a 2-pin fan molex connector or soldered to the PCB. If it's on the PCB i'd go for cutting the wire close to the fan, striping it... put a heat shrink tube over the wire. Solder the new fan to the wires and then shrink the tube around the soldered ends. That way you can easily desolder it without harming the PCB, plus with the tubing you'll protect it from shorting out.

I'm sure someone around here knows the insides well enough to give you an exact answer though.

EDIT:

I dug a bit into the matter, it's a 2pin fan molex connector. Haven't found the fan dimensions yet though. Also instead of Papst you could look at fans of Fractal Design. Which are also very quiet. And to make it even more easy, there are 3-pin to 2-pin adapters on the market. Here's a link to one of them: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3597

The red and black wires are always 12v (red) and ground (black), and there is the other color for fan speed read-out (often yellow or blue).

Also someone posted this link a while ago of a copy of the Top Cover fan assembly replacement (you might want to look at the pics. I can't read it though, foreign language): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=55JRBIP4

what is the latest version of TM? V2?

From what i've read in this thread, V4.

I still have my own question to everyone here. I read Thrustmaster sends out top cover's with the same fan. What do they say about the remaining warrenty when replacing it yourself? And what do they say about it when you replace the fan yourself with your own (obviously better) fan? Also what fan is inside of it (manufacturer and type, plus type of connection)?

What i've already figured out in the mean time:

Brand: ?
Type: cc6010h12s
Noise in Decibel: ?
Air Flow: ?
Air Pressure: ?
Connection: 2-pin mini JST connector
jst_2P_h.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I was hoping it's a pin connector type of some sort. That way, I can always put the oem fan back easily if I have to send it in for warranty. They might give a hard time if customers solder any thing.

Hm, so I tried looking at the manual but couldn't find it. How do I set the steering lock to, let's say, 230° on my PS3? Is that possible at all?

Mr. S
Hm, so I tried looking at the manual but couldn't find it. How do I set the steering lock to, let's say, 230° on my PS3? Is that possible at all?

No. The game developers have to implement an options menu.

Nucking Futs!
Thanks for the info. I was hoping it's a pin connector type of some sort. That way, I can always put the oem fan back easily if I have to send it in for warranty. They might give a hard time if customers solder any thing.

After taking some measurements and guessing I think the fan has the following dimensions. 50x50x20mm. Can anyone confirm this?
I also saw that the 50mm fans come sometimes with the connector used on the stock fan. So if that's the case it would be just plug and play basically.

No. The game developers have to implement an options menu.

^^ Nope. Too bad the PS3 doesn't have the control panel like we got on the PC

quick edit: got Tree'd lol

I think GT5 has cars coded with different ratios. Hmmm need to check that out.

Alright then...I guess I'll pick it up anyway, it's 400€ with GT5, so probably like 380€ once I've sold the game. Cheers.

I think GT5 has cars coded with different ratios. Hmmm need to check that out.

I can confirm that :)
Driving open wheelers (FGT, F1) and X2010 requires much less steering than hatchbacks, it's easy to notice between those two extreme category

Hm, any word on our T8RS? Did they ever say when we will be ready to order? I'm tired of trying to give these wheel makers money and they are way too slow to get our stuff ready

^^ Yeah that's the nice thing about GT5 at least the settings change depending upon the car. I believe Dirt 3 seems to always apply the same steering range / lock no matter the car on PS3.

Well my fan on my unit let out a howling screech last night. I was playing with the volume at a rather high amount of db. Only to gear this awful noise trying to push through my Calsonic's engine music. Grabbed remote. Muted stereo. Was like whoa that is not normal and that is loud. Grabbed phone and got video going. By this time 20-30 passed. I got some video though. Sounds like the "fan" mentioned. As well it sounds to have drag on it. For it appeared to come to a noisy halt.

I got the ball rolling with warranty. These cats better not think I am replacing the fan. I will do so at our shop rate and send them a bill. ;) we bill out at 90 dollars an hour in the main shop. Sounds like a 2-3 hr job. Sorry I can make 200+ dollars in that time period. No way will I do someone roses warranty work or work for that matter free of charge. I am into the business of making money.

While being picky and scrutinizing. I feel the wheel has developed a sloppy center with a bit of clunk or thunk at center.

Won't settle for anything less then a rebuild or replacement.

sandboxgod
Darn another t500 rs has went down. Owens you recall what version your wheel base was? I'm hoping I have better luck with my V2 :scared:

V1. Which I wasn't pleased about beings it was new and others were receiving V2's then.

Note: it works and I will remain using it till replaced or it quits.

OwensRacing
V1. Which I wasn't pleased about beings it was new and others were receiving V2's then.

Are you going to post your video?

Man that seems like a scene out of a horror movie almost. Room is pitch black while there's a beast in the background howling....

That sucks tho for real.

The only difference between the V1 and V2 is that the V2 comes with updated firmware out of the box. The V2 also suffers from the loud fan noise. Anyone who hasn't experienced it yet will be very lucky if it never occurs for them.

Mine started making that type of noise after about 2 months. As long as the fan doesn't stop working all together, it wont really interfere with the performance of the wheel.

Owens which firmware version you running? I know on my wheel I updated to latest firmware as soon as I got it then eventually up'ed it to v37. Is it possible the firmware controls the fan speed / RPMs etc? I always wondered did they do some sort of stealth fix in the firmware for it.

Would seem like there's gotta be some difference between us all. I don't see any complaints on iRacing t500rs thread whatsoever bout fans. maybe GT5 is working these poor wheels too hard? I only play GT5 occasionally when there's new seasonal content

Also, I've had my wheel for many months now since like April'ish or so with almost daily use *

For example I noticed only in gt5 when I go to the menus does the t500rs reel back to center at breakneck speeds. That can't be healthy heh.

Last edited:
maybe GT5 is working these poor wheels too hard?

I've had mine for a few months, but changed FFB to 2 almost right off. I changed from a G27, and the default FFB of 5 was WAY too much.

I suspect is some are leaving it on 5, they might very well be overworking the wheel.

sandboxgod
Owens which firmware version you running? I know on my wheel I updated to latest firmware as soon as I got it then eventually up'ed it to v37. Is it possible the firmware controls the fan speed / RPMs etc? I always wondered did they do some sort of stealth fix in the firmware for it.

Would seem like there's gotta be some difference between us all. I don't see any complaints on iRacing t500rs thread whatsoever bout fans. maybe GT5 is working these poor wheels too hard? I only play GT5 occasionally when there's new seasonal content

Also, I've had my wheel for many months now since like April'ish or so with almost daily use *

For example I noticed only in gt5 when I go to the menus does the t500rs reel back to center at breakneck speeds. That can't be healthy heh.

I'd have to look but I updated in June before using it and again just a few weeks back.

Back