The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
Soooo I assume I should wait at least another month before I throw down for a wheel to see if this comes to life ..

It looks quite high spec in that flash advert, i'm really interested to see if they will have a shifter unit. If it did i'd probably go for that (price dependant) over the G series

You can also look at the Fanatec 911 Carrera @ €170 and it has an H-gate shifter

Damn, I literally just bought a DFGT wheel. Tempted to return it and hang on now. Any idea when it's likely to get announced as I have 14 days to return the wheel.

It would most likely be DFGT standard, an official wheel is a mid-priced one usually. Most people bought the DFGT because it seemed a decent price and because it was an officially liscensed wheel they bought it.
I doubt this would be a £300 wheel to match the Logitechs and Fanatecs. If it is £150 like my PWC, I may check it out as my back-up wheel.

Hmmm... that flash advert sure does drive the curiosity! I'm very much interested in seeing what class it will compete in (DFGT or G25-27 class). Most importantly though I hope it is customizable like the Logitech G series; sooo modder friendly!:D:tup:

R*

- My heel went through the plastic pedal casing during the academy - no it didn't make the car stop any faster! :P So it has a crack on it.

- There is little wobble in up-down direction, and maybe the inside gears are a little worn out too.. there might be slightly more tolerance between the gears --> little "free movement" in the wheel.

If it`s not 900 degrees, doesnt have H gate shifter, doesnt have clutch, doesnt have metal construction (I drive HARD) I dont care for it one tiny bit, I still want FULL G25/G27 support with buttons, sensivity and deadzones in GT5 and I`ll be disappointed if they think a 3rd rate plastic wannabe from Thrustmaster!! (Which has the worst product reputations of all within combat flight sim users, who test these products to the limit!) can stack up to the 300 dollars and upwards G2x generation from Logitech. And I know 100% for sure that I am not alone in thinking that.

Sorry PD you`re not getting away from adding G25/G27 support unless you want less customers and your support from real life drivers status go "falling through the atmosphere and burning up".
Just 2 years ago PD were into Logitech, who still are the current pinnacle of combining affordability, realism and enjoyability in one package.

People really wants this game but the whole lot of annoying mistakes made with this game, and continuing testing of our patience (As in, trying to avoid updating the game for G2x support, evident by PD`s latest utterings in terms of wanting a new wheel, and slowly try to make us buy new plastic wheels when the G25 and G27 definitely beats them all by a landslide) is really pushing it, and I mean REALLY.

My G25 is not going anywhere :)

Last edited:
What are the symptoms of wheel wear, by the way?

The symptoms are the 2 dollars worth and easily replaceable potentiometers of the G25 and G27 getting in need of either simple replacement or cleaning after a couple of years of normal use, or a couple of months of HARD (ab)use :P

I had to clean my G25`s pedals a few days ago, I thought it was worn down potentiometers, but turned out all the cathair had gotten into the half-moon gearshape mechanism, and thats all there was to it.. After nearly 3 years of constant use at full lock during drifting, racing, clutch kicking, gas flooring, brake thudding..

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the translation Tom! I dare say this wheel is meant to be the Veyron of all Wheels...and might possibly come with a price tag to match...now we just have to see if its worth it!:D:tup: Bring on the good news.
R*

Wow the shifter paddles behind the wheel look like they are the size of dinner plates.

And does anyone know how to assign something to the large centre GT button of the Logitech driving force pro?

I want to assign the Horn to that button, but the centre GT button isn't in the list to assign to.

And does anyone know how to assign something to the large centre GT button of the Logitech driving force pro?

I want to assign the Horn to that button, but the centre GT button isn't in the list to assign to.
Try heading over to DFGT settings and apply it there. 👍

Last edited:
Wow the shifter paddles behind the wheel look like they are the size of dinner plates.

I don't know about the dfpro but on the dfgt the gt button is the horn by default. Have you tried to push it during a race? By the way it doesn't work on race cars for obvious reasons :)

I still get a warm feeling when I see the Thrustmaster T2...
bc8r2x8o4gmivpcdk.jpg

+100000

👍👍👍👍👍

This was one of the best Christmas presents I ever received. I wore mine out playing Grand Prix II.

Thanks so much for the translation Tom! I dare say this wheel is meant to be the Veyron of all Wheels...and might possibly come with a price tag to match...now we just have to see if its worth it!:D:tup: Bring on the good news.
R*

LOL yhea right. I have a feeling its going to be crap just like every other Thrustmaster wheel ever made. Its not like a Veyron rofl...

The symptoms are the 2 dollars worth and easily replaceable potentiometers of the G25 and G27 getting in need of either simple replacement or cleaning after a couple of years of normal use, or a couple of months of HARD (ab)use :P.

On the T500 rs If you noticed the german ad mentions hall effect sensors, they must be paying attention to what fanatec is doing and the pedals are using those instead of potentiometers.

LOL yhea right. I have a feeling its going to be crap just like every other Thrustmaster wheel ever made. Its not like a Veyron rofl...

What are you talking about? Thrustmaster introduced the first serious sim racing wheels. The Thrustmaster T2 was one of if not the most successful steering device, and a later thrustmaster steering wheel, the Ferrari F430 really proved that Thrustmaster came back on the good track. If Polyphony Digital chose the T500 RS for official wheel, then I'm pretty convinced that it will be a good build. 👍

I don't know about the dfpro but on the dfgt the gt button is the horn by default. Have you tried to push it during a race? By the way it doesn't work on race cars for obvious reasons :)

Ahh I didn't realise it was default, Thank you.

Really? The Placement of everything doesn't look oddly similar to you? I am not saying this is the wheel but I am saying possibly a spinoff of this one to be official for GT5. Replace the T with the GT logo and make the buttons on the right Triangle, Circle, X, Square. The wheels look a lot alike.

Is it me or does this look quite like the picture above with some minor adjustments. I sure hope it's based off of this one with the FFB and Clutch and H-shifter. I would wait for that.
RGTFFBclutch762x227.jpg

Product information: http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=156

I have to agree with you. The wheel does indeed look pretty similar. But maybe that's just because its also from Thrustmaster; the F430 didn't look like this since it was based on a Ferrari F430 (obviously). However, the RGT wheel isn't very known and its not a very successful wheel either. You have a point though. 👍

Just researched the H.E.A.R.T (HallEffect AccuRate Technology) to find out some more about it.
There is nearly no information on this technology since its new, however I have found that Thrustmaster's flagship joystick, the HOTAS WartHog, uses this technology. The Warthog is currently an unrivaled device and reviews worship its features + build quality, meaning Thrustmaster is back on good track. Hopefully the TM T500 RS will be an as good device, giving those with an outdated steering wheel (or those with none) a brand new experience.

What are you talking about? Thrustmaster introduced the first serious sim racing wheels. The Thrustmaster T2 was one of if not the most successful steering device, and a later thrustmaster steering wheel, the Ferrari F430 really proved that Thrustmaster came back on the good track. If Polyphony Digital chose the T500 RS for official wheel, then I'm pretty convinced that it will be a good build. 👍

Yhea great so they made a good wheel years ago. If you really think that the F430 is a great wheel have at it. But there are much better wheels for the price around.

Take this TERRIBLE "Ferrari Wireless GT Cockpit 430 Scuderia Edition" Product they sell. It is all wireless, no force feedback, battery powered, no clutch. Absolute crap for anyone serious at all. Sure it has a great paint-job and a descent leather steering wheel...
http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=206&PlatformID=12

Oh yhea one more thing it is only 270 degrees of rotation... LOL!!! So yhea when you see me calling the Thrustmaster wheels a joke you will know why I think so.

And guess what it features???? lol This super new top secret tech!

The:
Ultra-precise wheel with new H.E.A.R.T HallEffect AccuRate Technology™ magnetic sensor technology, featuring 12-bit precision (4096 values on the wheel’s rotation).

All this NEW technology is are magnetic potentiometers. Been around for years.

Here is a quote straight from the FREX GP site talking about their Hall-Mag Pots.... I am sure you have heard of them (Frex that is)???
HallMagPOT
Hall effect Magnetic Position Sensor

Gaming pedal controllers have been using carbon type potentiometers for a long time for its low cost and ease of build. Carbon type potentiometers are simple electrical devices that uses an internal brush wiper which moves on resistance particles in plastic or a ceramic/metal mixture changing electrical output and it will be worn out.

FREX has released a a new type of potentiometer especially suited to gaming controls such as pedals and joysticks that is based on the Hall effect theory. The same type of potentiometers are also being used in aviation and space exploration.

FREX HallMagPOT is a contactless potentiometer optimum to be used in a pedal controller as its output voltage is driven by a change in the magnetic field opposed to the conventional carbon type potentiometer where the output voltage change is driven by the change in resistance controlled by the position of the brush on the electrical resistance.

Testing was terminated at 10 million cycles so HallMagPOT lasts up to 10 million rotation cycles mechanically and electrically semipermanent

Now please show me this great new wheel you speak of that Thrustmaster makes...???

Last edited:
I bought a G25 two years ago for use with GT5P and my then-new Obutto Playseat. I'm still using that setup. I've had no issues with my wheel with GT5 yet. Hope that remains a constant because I can't afford to buy a new wheel setup now.

I could've sworn I just seen a Thrustmaster at Fry's Electronics. If I knew there was a thread up here for it, I would've taken a pic.

But who knows. It might have been a different one. It has metal paddles, quite a large, sequential shifter with clutch. Kinda like the CLK-GTR.

FFB is standard. Hehe.

Last edited:
Back