The Time Extend Podcast

• Thread starter Brend
  • 136 comments
Poor ol discount Bob Saget

:lol::lol::lol:

That's too perfect. From forever on, Robert Chrisman will be Danny Tanner.

Also, it's not fully about the dial up days but you should check out our second episode I believe where we talk about our exposure to online racing. I recall very fuzzy memories of playing Daytona USA 2001 with SegaNet and being absolutely horrible and ruining everyone's race :P

I did play Daytona USA 2001 online and I apologize if I yelled at you, but don’t worry because I was usually more angry at the lag. Oh the days of running a 50 foot phone cord from my room to my parents room so I could play online Dreamcast gems like Chu Chu Rocket. I also played the hell out of Test Drive 24 when it was new, and I loved it (until I got a PS2 and GT3, damn the temptation of 60 FPS).

I have been making my way through the old episodes, think I’m up to 7 now. I had an amazing moment when listening while driving my stick shift Ford Focus. I was taking a side road home I call the “rally route” when you closed an episode with the theme from Top Gear Rally. Listening to that while bombing down a windy road was bliss.

Been listening to the Ridge Racer countdown whilst playing Forza Horizon 4 (A modern big budget arcade racer!) and it was interesting to hear a rough idea of what the best to worst titles were.

I'd only actually played three of them as complete games. With R4 being my first (on a dodgy disc as mentioned in the podcast! I did rebuy it on the PSN store so hopefully all is forgiven).

Ridge Racer on PSP... omg that game had to be the biggest leap in graphics I've ever seen. To go from Mario Kart Super Circuit on the GBA to this almost PS2 quality racer that oozed the futuristic look that the PSP basically represented at the time was mind blowing! I'm interested in getting hold of Ridge Racer 2 on the PSP now that I've forgot basically the whole original game anyway and to enjoy the classic content that I never knew existed.

Then Ridge Racer 7 when I first got a PS3 after my 360 died was fun as well. 1080p, 60fps. Sure the graphics weren't amazing but I liked the clean look anyway.

Ridge Racer V sounds interesting on the PS2 as well. I've still got a PS2 with component cables so I might have to fork out the heady £1.50 on Cex!

Thanks for setting aside the time and effort to make the podcast. I'm sure I'll be listening more in the future

Ps - I'm using Spotify so the comments will probably go in here I guess..

Been listening to the Ridge Racer countdown whilst playing Forza Horizon 4 (A modern big budget arcade racer!) and it was interesting to hear a rough idea of what the best to worst titles were.

I'd only actually played three of them as complete games. With R4 being my first (on a dodgy disc as mentioned in the podcast! I did rebuy it on the PSN store so hopefully all is forgiven).

Ridge Racer on PSP... omg that game had to be the biggest leap in graphics I've ever seen. To go from Mario Kart Super Circuit on the GBA to this almost PS2 quality racer that oozed the futuristic look that the PSP basically represented at the time was mind blowing! I'm interested in getting hold of Ridge Racer 2 on the PSP now that I've forgot basically the whole original game anyway and to enjoy the classic content that I never knew existed.

Then Ridge Racer 7 when I first got a PS3 after my 360 died was fun as well. 1080p, 60fps. Sure the graphics weren't amazing but I liked the clean look anyway.

Ridge Racer V sounds interesting on the PS2 as well. I've still got a PS2 with component cables so I might have to fork out the heady £1.50 on Cex!

Thanks for setting aside the time and effort to make the podcast. I'm sure I'll be listening more in the future

Ps - I'm using Spotify so the comments will probably go in here I guess..
Thanks so much! Glad to hear you’re enjoying it. We definitely felt like there was a blank space for a podcast focused on more fun topics in the genre so positive comments like this are really appreciated 👍

Also, we have an exciting competition running now as per the last episode.

Episode 17 is now live - featuring none other than @Jordan!

There are lots of people who make this little genre so amazing, and this week Time Extend sat down with one of them — GTPlanet founder Jordan Greer — to talk about the story behind the internet's largest sim racing community. There's some Dirt Rally 2.0 discussion to be had as well, and we even found some time to read off your favorite Ridge Racer memories in this jam-packed episode!

Thanks again for having me guys, it was a real pleasure!

I can't believe we talked for nearly two hours, and we still had so much more we planned to discuss. :lol:

Definitely gonna give this a listen!

Also, looking at your episodes on Stitcher and the last one was called "24 Hour Party People". Nice 2Mello reference.

Given the OP a much needed refresh. :lol:

Also 118 listens on SoundCloud alone in just over 24 hours, we're psyched. :)

@Brend, you mentioned in the last podcast that the Thrustmaster ffb isn't working properly on PC in Dirt Rally 2, is that correct? You mentioned the T150 specifically, but do you know if this also applies to T500/T300?

@Brend, you mentioned in the last podcast that the Thrustmaster ffb isn't working properly on PC in Dirt Rally 2, is that correct? You mentioned the T150 specifically, but do you know if this also applies to T500/T300?
As far as I'm aware there are widespread issues with all Thrustmaster wheels on PC. Giving the sub-forum a glance will show you there are people with much better wheels than my piece of trash also feeling little to zero road feel. :lol:

By comparison, Assetto CC is on another planet. It's just DR 2.0 with the problems.

Definitely gonna give this a listen!

Also, looking at your episodes on Stitcher and the last one was called "24 Hour Party People". Nice 2Mello reference.

TBH I actually wasn't aware of 2Mello — it was more a Joy Division/New Order reference. But now I'm learning about him and he sounds awesome. Anyone who does a Jet Set Radio tribute album is alright in my book 👍

Jordan, for Mother’s Day you should put in small yellow letters “As named by Jordan’s mom!” under the gtplanet logo. What an amazing story this site has. What’s funny was I was on the granturismo.com forum years ago, looked like I backed the wrong horse!

Time Extend crew, I’m all caught up now and wow you talk about the Dreamcast a lot! One game that has not come up for the system though is Rush 2049. Have you ever played Rush 2049 on the Dreamcast? Because my family and friends have collectively sunk hundreds of hours into its 4 player split screen mode. My cousins and his friends would play battle mode through the 2000s, and in the 2010s my coworkers would come over and play stunt mode until 2am. And single player has a lot of Midway-esque secrets with coins on the track, secret areas, etc. The disc case has fallen apart from being opened so much.

Also, are you using VGA cables with the Dreamcast? It’s a big help in the graphics department, it makes Daytona 2001 and Test Drive LeMans look amazing.

Jordan, for Mother’s Day you should put in small yellow letters “As named by Jordan’s mom!” under the gtplanet logo. What an amazing story this site has. What’s funny was I was on the granturismo.com forum years ago, looked like I backed the wrong horse!

Time Extend crew, I’m all caught up now and wow you talk about the Dreamcast a lot! One game that has not come up for the system though is Rush 2049. Have you ever played Rush 2049 on the Dreamcast? Because my family and friends have collectively sunk hundreds of hours into its 4 player split screen mode. My cousins and his friends would play battle mode through the 2000s, and in the 2010s my coworkers would come over and play stunt mode until 2am. And single player has a lot of Midway-esque secrets with coins on the track, secret areas, etc. The disc case has fallen apart from being opened so much.

Also, are you using VGA cables with the Dreamcast? It’s a big help in the graphics department, it makes Daytona 2001 and Test Drive LeMans look amazing.
Yep I use VGA at the moment. Believe Adam has a neato HDMI converter.

Thanks all! And yeah @Wilsonic I use an adapter from BeharBros that is basically a VGA box, only it outputs in HDMI. Love that thing, highly recommend it. Just be prepared to wait a while, they're a small operation producing these boxes in Turkey haha.

Well you know, Brend and I are obsessed with Sega and the Dreamcast in particular has a lot of interesting racing games. Not all of them are fantastic, but that's what makes the discussion fun! I have Rush 2049 and it's funny cause while I played Rush a ton on N64, I missed that series when it arrived on the Dreamcast. It's a very good game though Midway's style of arcade racer never really caught on with me as I got older. Though I know a lot of people adore that game. We should talk about it, it is one of the system's most popular racers!

Episode #18 will be recorded this Sunday!

We have a topic that will be of particular interest for those who liked Unreleased Racers Vol. 1....

If you have any racers you'd like to nominate, drop it in the thread and we might just feature it!

I read Rushy and see Driveclub flags.
I started generating random thoughts but....
received_946031562225929.jpeg

Another good show gang. Having you interview people from the industry makes me feel like you’ve “made it.” And I hope Paul gets to do something with Ridge Racer. It’s a long shot but hey, no one else is using the IP! I do have to mention though, I’m having some volume issues. If I set the volume to Paul, I have to turn it up for Brendan and turn it down for Adam. However, I am listening in my car so maybe it’s better with headphones.

BTW, did you know that some Gran Turismo icons are at the NY Auto Show? Most importantly, the 1 of 1 R33 GTR LM!? I have never been to NY, but I’m making the 3 hour trip this Saturday just to see it. I love the LM, it’s the first car you see in the GT1 intro video and it’s the last car you earn. I thought I would have to go to Japan to see it, but here it is in NY. Adam, are you going? I believe you are close to the show.

Another good show gang. Having you interview people from the industry makes me feel like you’ve “made it.” And I hope Paul gets to do something with Ridge Racer. It’s a long shot but hey, no one else is using the IP! I do have to mention though, I’m having some volume issues. If I set the volume to Paul, I have to turn it up for Brendan and turn it down for Adam. However, I am listening in my car so maybe it’s better with headphones.

Thanks man! And glad you raised the point about audio, feedback like that is helpful. I was aware of that as I was editing but not sure how to tackle it. Neither of us are experts in terms of production or audio engineering so we're kind of learning as we go along here. The shows where it's just Brend and I tend to go down a bit more evenly because I can individually modulate our respective tracks. But that's hard to do with a guest, particularly someone who is using less sophisticated means for recording their voice, like a phone or something. But comments like yours highlight that we need to experiment and see how we can get around that, so thanks!

BTW, did you know that some Gran Turismo icons are at the NY Auto Show? Most importantly, the 1 of 1 R33 GTR LM!? I have never been to NY, but I’m making the 3 hour trip this Saturday just to see it. I love the LM, it’s the first car you see in the GT1 intro video and it’s the last car you earn. I thought I would have to go to Japan to see it, but here it is in NY. Adam, are you going? I believe you are close to the show.

Seriously a life-changing moment for me. Could not believe my eyes.

Also @Wilsonic, apologies for the double post but there's a JGTC Calsonic R32 there as well. Nissan has brought pretty amazing metal to New York in the past — I think it was 2015 when they brought every generation of Skyline — but this was on another level.

Thanks man. We are so hyped that developers are willing to give us the time of day! Noted on the audio front, as Adam says - we value critical feedback very highly. 👍

Went to the show, drooled underneath the LM, left with a little plastic Godzilla figurine. Absolutely amazing display.

I used to write on Oppositelock, and I was so moved by the experience I felt compelled to write a post about it:

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/living-the-game-nissan-skyline-r33-gt-r-lm-1834433304

I have also written some stuff about racing game music a long time ago, but unfortunately most of the links in that post are now broken.

Episode 19 is now live - Unreleased Racers Vol.2. :D

“Sega arcade racing has arrived on the Switch, and the boys are ecstatic about it. We guarantee you no other podcast is going to talk this long about Virtua Racing. In the second half of the show, Time Extend picks up a topic started almost exactly a year ago with a deep dive into yet more unreleased racers”

No guests this week but a traditional pod for your hearing pleasure. We’re one episode away from 20 which almost feels hard to believe.

Let us know what you think here and on Twitter - https://twitter.com/time_extend

Went to the show, drooled underneath the LM, left with a little plastic Godzilla figurine. Absolutely amazing display.

I used to write on Oppositelock, and I was so moved by the experience I felt compelled to write a post about it:

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/living-the-game-nissan-skyline-r33-gt-r-lm-1834433304

I have also written some stuff about racing game music a long time ago, but unfortunately most of the links in that post are now broken.
Great read, man! That car is something special isn't it? Never something I would ever expect to see in my lifetime, and there it was in the middle of the show floor. And the hundreds of thousands of people that walked past it all week probably had no idea how special it was.

Please upload it to YouTube
If this is something that is requested we’ll definitely look into it - we weren’t sure how many people actually use YouTube for podcasts when other options are available. 👍

Back