The Time Extend Podcast

• Thread starter Brend
  • 136 comments
CART Flag to Flag is like someone saw Newman-Haas Racing for the PSX and went like "I think I can licence it all", it even has the incredibly stupid and unrealistic gear ratios!

ABOUT CART and videogames: I really think there is room for a CART-inspired videogame even now in almost-2020. I even have a bit of an idea on how it could work:
· The player is a driver or owner-driver competing for 10 seasons.
· Teams are made of a combination of chassis and engine combinations. Each with its own good and bad (power, downforce, reliability, fuel economy, etc). Chassis and engines could evolve during those 10 seasons, with some getting "bad seasons", some becoming shadows of their former selves, some going from nothing to the part to have, etc.
· As a driver, it is a fairly straight-forward game. You get opportunities to drive and you have to show your value.
· As an owner-driver, your job is to create your team. You have to manage sponsorships, engines, chassis, bodies and even AI drivers once you choose to make your team a 2-car or even 3-car team.
· The tracks would probably be fictional but inspired on the schedule CART had during the 1990s. From unusual roadcourses to ovals of all sizes to street circuits.

I had Cart Fury on the PS2, I played it on the Arcade too, it was a fun game for a little fix but I never sad n played it for hours.

I do wish we had another indy/Cart sim I did love Indy Car Racing (1 and 2) by Papyrus, the first was really groundbreaking for the PC only had Geoff Crammonds F1GP at the time, with all the Real US tracks mastering the ovals was a real challenge.

CART Flag to Flag is like someone saw Newman-Haas Racing for the PSX and went like "I think I can licence it all", it even has the incredibly stupid and unrealistic gear ratios!

ABOUT CART and videogames: I really think there is room for a CART-inspired videogame even now in almost-2020. I even have a bit of an idea on how it could work:
· The player is a driver or owner-driver competing for 10 seasons.
· Teams are made of a combination of chassis and engine combinations. Each with its own good and bad (power, downforce, reliability, fuel economy, etc). Chassis and engines could evolve during those 10 seasons, with some getting "bad seasons", some becoming shadows of their former selves, some going from nothing to the part to have, etc.
· As a driver, it is a fairly straight-forward game. You get opportunities to drive and you have to show your value.
· As an owner-driver, your job is to create your team. You have to manage sponsorships, engines, chassis, bodies and even AI drivers once you choose to make your team a 2-car or even 3-car team.
· The tracks would probably be fictional but inspired on the schedule CART had during the 1990s. From unusual roadcourses to ovals of all sizes to street circuits.

I love everything about this. It'd be great to see a game with the strategy depth of Motorsport Manager with a playable sim on top of that. Kind of amazed it hasn't happened yet.

I love everything about this. It'd be great to see a game with the strategy depth of Motorsport Manager with a playable sim on top of that. Kind of amazed it hasn't happened yet.
I wasn't trying to make a Motorsport Manager-like thingy. If you hire a teammate, he goes by himself as best as him and his mechanics can do. No matter what you're always a driver, you can't choose the strategy of your AI teammates while in the race. Also, you don't want to saturate a game with too many features, specially not a new IP.

After dropping into a Twitch stream earlier today, and after a response I was given, I decided to show some love for the Time Extended Podcast. So get to know your latest fan- me! :) 👍

Blimey I feel like the latest Time Extend has been custom made for me.

My most watched YouTube channel in 2020 was DF with all the new consoles coming out. And Time Extend was my #1 podcast, usually listened to whilst I tried again and again to get a 'proper' lap in around the monstrous Isle of Man TT Circuit.

Might well have to listen to it whilst I do a endurance race 'of the 3s'. GT3 Vs LMP3 Vs F3 on Project Cars 2.

Are there any more coming up? I’ve been anticipating the DiRT one for what seems like an eternity! I love this podcast, it’s what brought me to GTPlanet because although I’ve always been an utter, utter racing game nerd I’ve never really done the forums before. I discovered it quite recently and basically spent a couple of weeks just listening to it non-stop, now I’m caught up and have to wait for episodes I feel quite sad!!

Thanks for the kind words! The Dirt episode is coming this week. We know output's been slow (even slower than our usual), and there are a variety of personal reasons for that, but we definitely appreciate your patience!

Life gets in the way!! Great news though, looking forward to it. DiRT 2 and 3 are a weird blind spot in that I’ve never really played them much and don’t know why. I think because I was more interested in the ‘official’ WRC games by then and found the X-games and gymkhana stuff a bit off-putting. Got them both ready to try though for when this drops. 👍

Life gets in the way!! Great news though, looking forward to it. DiRT 2 and 3 are a weird blind spot in that I’ve never really played them much and don’t know why. I think because I was more interested in the ‘official’ WRC games by then and found the X-games and gymkhana stuff a bit off-putting. Got them both ready to try though for when this drops. 👍

I prefer more serious rally games but I adored Dirt 2. I think it stands as one of Codemasters greatest achievements, one of the best racing games of all time. Fun with a capital F.

Good to hear another episode today. I’ve always found Daytona fascinating, because…..I don’t get it. Give me Sega Rally Championship any day of the week. Or Ridge Racer, or Wipeout. I’ve played the Saturn version, the Dreamcast version and still have the Xbox Arcade version on my SX. And yet still I find it a bit of a nothing game, whichever version I play. I don’t find the handling/hot lapping aspect of it that enjoyable and I don’t find the racing particularly challenging or satisfying. Maybe it’s just one of those things. Or maybe I really need an arcade perfect port of Daytona 2 in order to finally catch the bug - here’s hoping.

Back