the understeer is killing me !!

hey guys I'm new to the forum but definitely not new to the racing world (games anyway :( )

talking of understeer, something I've always done is tuned my cars in all the GT games so I have never really noticed it myself. but what I will say is after playing GT4 and then playing something like forza the GT cars have got a lot more grip on the road when cornering and you can just drive faster round the courses. There didnt really seem to be understeer for me, but then I have never had a racing line on for the GT games so I guess you tend to find the fastest way round the circuit that way rather than relying on a racing line, like I have come to do in forza 👎

Hi m13pl & sketch424, welcome to GTPlanet 👍

Please keep in mind the use of capitals and punctuation, it will keep the forum easier to read and more people will actually take notice of your posts :sly:

Enjoy the forum!

The two best examples i've heard is the "lack of proper oversteer modeling" which is probably a big part of it, and the way the game is optimised for controls (You can full lock through a lot of corners without spinning/skidding off).

That is because full lock on controller does not mean full lock for the car. Its some sort of steering aid for the controller who decide how much steering you need to make pads driveable.. Only way yo be in total control of your car in gt5p is with a wheel. Its quite easy to test it out if you have wheel to compare it to ;)

You won't get oversteer automatically with full lock... more likely more understeer.

Your wheels can only do a finite amount of cornering into a turn... turn too far and they'll plow instead of carve.

never had a problem with it. i tend to tune for a slightly tight feeling but have tuned some cars for more oversteer to have fun with. Its all in the set up, theres no reason you have to understeer. take some down force off the rear, lower the neg toe in the rear or run positive in extream cases, more neg toe in the front, camber , springs, ride hight rake all affect it. As for the controller it feels to me that full right or left in the game is equal to the turning angel that yeilds the most turning force. It is not full lock. Watch the front tires on a replay at higher speeds they bairly turn. as stated in this thread almost all stock cars from the factory will understeer to some degree. This is for safty it has to be tuned out.

All the Gran turismo games have been quite understeery feeling. I never realised how much until i had got Rfactor, played that for a bit and then went back to gran turismo, to realise that i just couldn't drive the cars anymore due to the huge understeer.

That said i love Gran turismo games, and played them fine for years, having got used to the physics with nothing else at the same quality to compare it to until recently, but i do hope that they fix it for GT5. Its hard to fix the issue with setup without screwing up the car in other ways, since the physics are naturally that way, rather than it being a car to car setup thing.

I'll throw a monkey-wrench in here and suggest that the understeer in GT4/GT5p is actually about right. The problem compared with other sims is that neither of these products simulates the feeling of understeer through the wheel at all. You can feel oversteer, bumps, weight-balance, etc. But no amount of understeer provides any feedback in the wheel (DFP, G25, Fanatec). If you've ever done any real-life performance driving, or driven many other sims, then the lack of understeer feedback (basically, you should feel the steering wheel lighten up) is very, very hard to deal with. Because you can't feel it, you can't react to it properly. That's my take on it anyway. On the flip-side, GT4/5p provide by far the best weight-balance feedback of any sim I've ever played. I'm in my 5th season of autocross now in vintage rear-engined cars (VW, Porsche) and man I tell you what, GT4 is absolutely spot-on how those RR beauties feel. Maybe it isn't possible to model all these sensations simultaneously, so polyphony had to eliminate understeer feedback in order to make the weight-distribution of the car feel so darn great (that's a theory, not a fact). But I do know that I'll never be as fast I would like like to be in any of these sims, because for me, being unable to feel the understeer build in the steering-wheel is just crippling to my corner entry times. I'm very much a "drive by feel" guy...

Back