The Useful App Thread

United States
The Speedway
D3ATHS1NBUNCH3S
"If this applies to the flash game thread, apologies. Also, if this is in the wrong section, please move it. Thanks!"

Nearly everyone seems to have a smartphone these days. So tell us, what apps have you found out of the blue (not the giants like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc;) that you may want to share with us? Found an awesome, unknown game? Share it with us!

Label which store it came from, Android or Apple.

Last edited:
I find saturation handy for when I'm not near the computer. It's an easy, pleasing way to view Kuler schemes quickly, and provides all the info on your chosen scheme for when you do need it. You can save favourites too if that helps.

Most of the other apps on my phone are regionally helpful (GO Transit, Rocket Man, blogTO), or still Canada-oriented (LCBO On The Go for the busy alcoholic, and Pizza Pizza's mobile app for the ultimate in no effort for barely decent nourishment).

I have GTA: Vice City for Android which is great fun, Flow for Android has been wasting all my time lately. I also love Hillclimb Racing and Bike Race, and hope FIFA 13 will come out for Android soon since iOS already has it..

Anyone know of a good one for Android that you can view excel files on without needing an internet connection to view them?

Electrodroid.

For Android.

Has a whole list of things for electrics like LED calculators, battery life, AWG voltage drop, resistor color band decoder.

R1600Turbo
Anyone know of a good one for Android that you can view excel files on without needing an internet connection to view them?

If you download them while connected to the internet you can find them in QuickOffice (which came on my phone as standard)

Some of the ones I use:

RealCalc - A really good calculator with many options and simple layout. Much better than the standard calculator.

TuneInRadio - Loads of radio stations from all over the world, simple navigation through categories.

Slider Widget - Lets you control levels of sound and brightness. Looks very good and is very convenient.

Month Calendar Widget - Very simple and good looking calendar widget.

DIGI Clock - Simple to use, lots of customization options, looks nice and comes in various sizes.

Games I would recommend are Flow Free and Paper Toss.

All these are for Android.

What, no love for Windows Phone? It's got, um...er...

A few things...

Most of the cool 🤬 comes pre-installed on WP8 and I've only had it for like a month, so I've got nothin much. z0mb1es(on teh p0hone) is pretty awesome.

If any of you guys here take daily runs, I HIGHLY recommend Nike Running for Apple (And Maybe for Android, I don't know). It works even better with shoes omitted with the Nike+ formula.

All of the below are for Android:
Google Currents and Flipboard for daily news and whatnot in a pretty package. I like Currents for it's ability to save stuff later for offline reading.

Astro File Manager for browsing files on my internal and SD card, I know there are better ones that are ad free and all but Astro still look the best, imo.

Dropbox to transfer most small and moderately sized files.

MXplayer will play just about any video format you throw at it, it have subtitle support as well as both software and hardware decoding support.

Perfect Viewer, for any manga/comic needs.

What, no love for Windows Phone? It's got, um...er...

A few things...

Most of the cool 🤬 comes pre-installed on WP8 and I've only had it for like a month, so I've got nothin much. z0mb1es(on teh p0hone) is pretty awesome.

and no love for the fossil called blackberry

R1600Turbo

Try Google drive. It has its own version of excel that has an offline mode. Not sure if it can view excel files since I haven't tried but Google around I'm sure lots of people have asked this question.

As for a good android app is Airdroid. It's seriously amazing. You just open their site on your computer and scan the code with their app and BAM you are connected. You can control and transfer anything wirlessly to your phone all from your computer. It's really nice looking too and can even read and respond to text message on the computer.

For my iPhone, I have found RDP Lite to be very useful. It's not very good, but it allows basic remote desktop ability to my computer at home.

It's saved my butt multiple times.

Finally found this thread again. If you have android we all know SwiftKey 3 is the best keyboard but only problem is it cost money. Now however you can download SwiftKey 3 flow for free! Google it on your phone and you can download it direct and install. It's still in beta which is why is free currently but it's literally identical to the Offical one only better because it alai had the new swipe feature which works great.

Last edited:
If any of you guys here take daily runs, I HIGHLY recommend Nike Running for Apple (And Maybe for Android, I don't know). It works even better with shoes omitted with the Nike+ formula.

I use a similar Google app called My Tracks for cycling but it's probably better for running. It keeps all stats like distance, time, elevation, calories burnt, and can be used to produce a spreadsheet of run/ cycle data and it can also be linked to Google maps to see the route. Does require a GPS connection.

How do those apps actually work do you just put the phone in your pocket and it will work that way or do you need a spiral mount or something got it to work on your bike?

You can keep it in the pocket until the trip is finished, unless you want to use it as a speedo or map, then it'd need mounting.

The only utility apps I ever use on my phone are QuickTip, Gas Buddy, and Genius scan. Gas Buddy is self-explanatory. Quicktip is great for me because I'm terrible at doing tip math when I go out. Genius Scan is a great little app that lets you create documents by "scanning" them. You take a picture, then crop and correct for perspective distortion, then it runs a black and white or color filter and gives you a pretty darn good-looking result. Great for taking still life photos of the insides of textbooks.

'My car check' - iOS - it helps if you see something you can't identify. Like seeing something amazing, you don't know what it is and you just catch its Reg; but you forgot your phone! :scared:

So, you spend all day memorizing the Reg, grab your phone when you get home, enter the Reg and realize...I seen a bl**dy Opel Manta! :D

Last edited:
Nearly everyone seems to have a smartphone these days.

Nope, but I do have one of these (similar)

Avaya_4606_telephone.jpg

and

hands-pray_00420378.jpg

Works great. :)

Ok I got some really awesome Android apps. I have the S3 as my main phone and it is heavy in gesture commands. They are super functional and I love them however the problem is they only work with stock apps. Now I have found 2 apps that give gesture based commands to all apps.

First is wave control that uses your hand motions without touching the screen to control your music. You can set it to launch and control your favorite music app. Your phone can be playing music while you work and someone comes in all you need to do is put your hand close and overtop of the screen for it to pause. Swipe from left or right to go next or back etc. No need to unlock the phone, go to music player, press pause, etc. The pro version has more options and more controls obviously.

The second one is Prox which is the same thing only controls everything. You can set a swipe to be go back on a web page, only have music controls when the phone is flat, launch an app when ever or only when the phone is facing you etc. A lot more control and you can pretty musch control everything without even touching your phone. Again the pro version has more stuff but the free versions of both these apps gives you the basics.

Android apps:
-AppGarden: Hands down the best utility app out there, tons of useful stuff in there.
Lite
Paid

-Easy Touch: I don't know how to explain it :dunce: .. Just check it out 👍

-AirDroid: Manage and use your android smartphone over wifi, very simple, very useful

-SystemPanel: Very useful utility, it can backup your apk's without root permission ( no data backup though )

Last edited:
Back