The visual customization in the game is really lackluster, isn't it?

Silver Arrows

(Banned)
Canada
Brandon, MB
Silver-Arrows21
- Incredible lack of any worthwhile widebody options sans for less then a handful of cars, and the definition of 'widebody' being confined to simply a widening of the fenders

- No licensed body kits or parts for cars in general

- So many of the customization options feel lackluster, nothing truly wild

- Lack of suitable wheels for American muscle cars, everything skews mostly towards European/JDM wheels, either classic or modern style

- Absolutely ludicrous how you can't paint individual body parts with carbon colors. If you aren't going to offer carbon fiber parts, then why not allow us to paint parts instead of being forced to use the livery editor and waste slots better reserved for other decals?

- The SEMA cars still feel like they could be rolled into as an upgrade path for vehicles instead of being separate vehicles themselves

- No real ability to turn a car into a race car on the inside - that being adding racing spec steering wheels, gauges, seats and etc

It's really quite evident plaything through the game that the visual customization is without question the best in the entire GT series, but aside from that it feels incredibly lackluster. Maaaaaybe marginally better then Forza on a good day, and certainly nowhere near Ghost's NFS games in terms of what you can create. And plus, all the little 'design choices' (that serve to frustrate more then anything else) that are typical of the series by this point. And it's frustrating because there could be a lot more done with the system, but instead it just feels really plain and doesn't push the limit.

Yeah, I was disappointed to see some cars not have a third, more aggressive option for body kits. It wouldn't even have to be a licensed, real kit. I do hope for more cosmetics in the future. I wonder what kind of work it would entail for the devs.

It blows my mind still how there are no options to swap out side mirrors and bonnets. And as mentioned, the wide bodies are lazy and uninspired at best. It's not like the game has a bog standard FD RX-7 and an Amemiya FD to draw inspiration from.

It also baffles me how the car's original decals are all wiped the moment you attempt to put any of your own on a car.

When browsing for liveries on the GT7 website, it doesn't even tell you if the style is editable, or if it is for a wide bodied car.

PD Logic. It's indisputable that GT7 has the most expansive customisation options in the series, but oof... I'll never understand how their minds work.

has gran turismo ever had wild body mods tho?
GT6 did, though only for a limited number of cars and there was sadly no way to fit wider wheels or offset them inline with the wider bodywork.

Last edited:
GT6 did, though only for a limited number of cars and there was sadly no way to fit wider wheels or offset them inline with the wider bodywork.
Exactly, and considering the fact that there are many, many different ways to build a car, and have it look the way you want to, it certainly would be nice to have something much more race inspired if I am going to be building a race car.

Maybe a bonkers Time Attack style body kit would be nice for that specific purpose. But everything seems to be mostly geared towards Kaz's line of thinking when it comes to visual customization still being stuck in the early 2000's, in a way.

I do miss NFS Shift in that regard. You can take a normal car and turn it into a racing or time-attack machine. It's really nice how you can see every upgrade reflecting on the interior.

In GT7 it's nice to have bodykit A for this X car, but the problem is that everyone else will be running the same bodykit A. I think if we had like, 4-5 options, that would be enough variety.

The livery editor is the best editor though. NFS and The Crew editors are way behind GT.

They said on day one they would add more parts.
Widebodies are pretty on par with real-life wide-body unless you think trashy LBW / rocket bunny Kits are what every car needs. Bolt-on kits are the real-world " lazy builds" any clown can install, all you have to do is cut your poor car up, half-ass fold the metal, and then rivet the plastic garbage on. A modest wide body shown in this game will cost more and require true craftsmanship to pull off ironically.
People who say they don't look different really need their eyes checked, and to head over to threads that compare them, a car being widened 5 inches on each side is A LOT and requires extensive blending to the unmodified parts.

What I do agree is the fact we are missing is mirrors/front spoilers/hoods/canards .
And the interior needs the ability to remove seats/change seats/steering wheels / custom gauges .

Widebodies are pretty on par with real-life wide-body unless you think trashy LBW / rocket bunny Kits are what every car needs. Bolt-on kits are the real-world " lazy builds" any clown can install, all you have to do is cut your poor car up, half-ass fold the metal, and then rivet the plastic garbage on. A modest wide body shown in this game will cost more and require true craftsmanship to pull off ironically.
People who say they don't look different really need their eyes checked, and to head over to threads that compare them, a car being widened 5 inches on each side is A LOT and requires extensive blending to the unmodified parts.

What I do agree is the fact we are missing is mirrors/front spoilers/hoods/canards .
And the interior needs the ability to remove seats/change seats/steering wheels / custom gauges .

That. That right there's what I hope they mean by more parts.

jeff bridges opinion GIF

Remember that Kaz claimed that Gran Turismo 7 is supposed to be a representation of car culture as a whole (and I really hate that he used "car culture" as a corporate buzzword, but whatever). Like it or not, widebody kits from the likes of Liberty Walk and Rocket Bunny are a big part of modern car culture, and in some ways have kinda bridged the gaps between multiple fanbases in the car community. Considering that their competitors have also enjoyed having licensed kits in their games for a number of years, and have, if anything, increased their popularity partially because of it, there's really not a good reason for PD to not have licensed kits in their games at this point.

Plus, adding licensed bodykits also helps from a marketing perspective, as a lot of those kits are the kinds of things that pull car lovers from other areas, which means that having those kits can potentially pull in more customers who will be interested in buying GT7. I remember there being a lot of excitement leading up to Forza Horizon 3s release when people found out that LBW and Rocket Bunny were gonna be in the game. OEMs also seem to not mind them, since they have final say on how much customization their cars can have, and are OK with those kits in Forza and NFS.

And of course, if they are added, there's nothing forcing you to use them.

- No real ability to turn a car into a race car on the inside - that being adding racing spec steering wheels, gauges, seats and etc
This is one area that's particularly annoyed me. GT5 (i think?) and 6 let you add gauges and such, was slightly surprised the feature didn't return to GT7.

Custom steering wheels would be cool too, but I feel custom seats would be a bit of a pain in the ass to implement, especially considering how many cars are in the game. Maybe for a few cars (such as 90s Japanese cars) instead of the entire range would be satisfactory.

Last edited:
Did you come from the year 2005 or something?
No, I come from the world of appreciating multiple facets of car culture, and paying attention to how popular brands and styles in that space attract attention.

You don't have to like them (the Liberty Walk "Miura" is a bit garish in my personal opinion), but it is a part of modern car culture, no ifs, ands or buts about it. And if Kaz really wants GT to represent car culture like he himself claimed, then that comes with the territory. And it never hurts to have options when it comes to car customization.

Last edited:

Yes, all things considered I’m happy with the customisation available, fingers crossed for more in future updates. As you mentioned, I’d love to see a range of different bonnets (hoods) available and interior options too.

has gran turismo ever had wild body mods tho?
Now's as good a time as any to start adding some, no? The market and audience have changed since 25 years ago, it's time PD also evolved.
PD only said they're adding "engine parts to swap." They didn't mention anything about visual customization parts. I wouldn't hold my breath.

No, I come from the world of appreciating multiple facets of car culture, and paying attention to how popular brands and styles in that space attract attention.

You don't have to like them (the Liberty Walk "Miura" is a bit garish in my personal opinion), but it is a part of modern car culture, no ifs, ands or buts about it. And if Kaz really wants GT to represent car culture like he himself claimed, then that comes with the territory. And it never hurts to have options when it comes to car customization.
As someone who daily drives a 48 and 42-year-old car, preservation becomes more and more important as time goes by. I'm 26 and get upset when people tell me to slam/stance my car because " it would look so good bro". #1 yes , it would look "dope AF" for the next four years until the fad dies and some pejorative gets attached to the style .

Rocket bunny is a FAD , mark my word's in ten years no one will want anything to do with a rocket bunny car, the same way no one wants anything to do with a ricer from 2005 or a sticker bombed car from 2012.
I'm gonna keep rocking my timeless stuff, thank god I didn't hack up my rx3 chasing a fad.

Yes, it is my opinion, but why should polyphony waste time modeling kits that will go out of style in a few years? When I see people play NFS underground today they literally ignore 99% of the mods and try to design car's as "clean" as possible..

They just need to add what I listed, it makes sense, won't go out of style, and is basic enough that they could add them for most cars in a short time span.

Also 100% for more muscle-inspired rim's !

As someone who daily drives a 48 and 42-year-old car, preservation becomes more and more important as time goes by. I'm 26 and get upset when people tell me to slam/stance my car because " it would look so good bro". #1 yes , it would look "dope AF" for the next four years until the fad dies and some pejorative gets attached to the style .
Quite frankly, you care way too much about what other people think if it bothers you that much.
Rocket bunny is a FAD , mark my word's in ten years no one will want anything to do with a rocket bunny car,...
Maybe, maybe not. The car world, especially the parts of it that focus on customization, isn't at all static. But we're talking about right now, not what may or may not happen in the future. And right now, RB, LBW, RWB and the like are majorly popular brands for a lot of car enthusiasts, particularly younger ones. Neither of us can claim that we know for a fact what'll happen down the line.

In any case, I also remember seeing such claims about Drifting, Import Drag Racing, Donks, Boxes and Bubbles, etc. It's pretty clear that Rocket Bunny and Liberty Walk draw a lot on inspiration from Bosozoku cars, which has been a thing since at least the 80s. Hell, I remember that there was a period where people didn't dare try and mod exotics, but that's obviously changed quite a bit in recent years. I'd say that was helped in part by games like NFS, Midnight Club, etc.
Yes, it is my opinion, but why should polyphony waste time modeling kits that will go out of style in a few years?
Because the lead designer of the series claims that the game represents car culture as a whole. Those kits and other options like them are a part of modern car culture and, in one form or another, have been for quite some time. I've already gone over this multiple times.

And again, don't try to peddle something that you don't at all know for sure as fact.
When I see people play NFS underground today they literally ignore 99% of the mods and try to design car's as "clean" as possible..
Which reinforces what I said earlier, that the option of having these options for customization doesn't mean that you're required to use them. NFS Underground 1 is an especially good example, since the game rewards you for a highly-customized car, but keeping it "clean" doesn't negatively effect the actual gameplay in any meaningful way. That would ideally be the same kind of deal if PD added real-world kits.

Heavily modded cars and clean/street style cars can coexist without issues. The last decade of changes in the car and aftermarket industries proves that.
They just need to add what I listed, it makes sense, won't go out of style, and is basic enough that they could add them for most cars in a short time span.
You do understand that this game isn't made for just you, right? Other people may have different tastes and styles than your own, which there's nothing wrong with. Adding options with that in mind makes it to where the game(s) appeal to a wider audience, which helps GT in the long run. And again, these are also things that GTs competitors are doing, and it's not hurting them. If anything, said games are doing better by adding these customization options, because they can cast a wider net on potential consumers.

Also, while I generally don't go out of my way to defend PD (because they don't deserve it half the time), we don't know for a fact that such things can be created and added in a short timespan, especially since any additions have to get approved by the OEM before they can come to the game.
That we can at least agree on.

Last edited:
I’d like to think some of the wide bodies has stretched the fenders in a more budget minded way. Enough to fit wider tires under the fenders. Plus, some bolt on wide body kits, like the N2 arches, are of the period. The wider arches of the ‘83 GTI and MINI ‘05, are of those periods as well.

Many of us that know of past era body kits and various handcrafting modifications, would like to see more, but how Kaz/PD work/think, the basics of the stretchy wheel & tyre packages are the best step forward. whew.

The details of steering wheels, replacing and removing seats, special gauges, shift knobs, etc. I don’t see why those couldn’t be included. If they will be in future updates, cool.

What really baffles me is that they didn't put the Watanabe 8 spokes despite modelling one for the AE86 Shigeno.

I think almost every damn racing game has the 8 Spokes while one of the biggest japanese racing franchise don't? lol
Yeah, we had the option in GT4. Had to wait to finally get gold entered BBS. The classic Watanabe is a must. Just as is a Minilite.

Did you come from the year 2005 or something?
He's right, but also....Forza has licensed body kits. Ghost's NFS games also have licensed bodykits, and some pretty good in house ones too. Like it or not, there's probably a good subsection of people who'd appreciate licensed body kits from Rocket Bunny and Liberty Walk, alongside others, instead of what we have now.

PD only said they're adding "engine parts to swap." They didn't mention anything about visual customization parts. I wouldn't hold my breath.
How anyone can believe that Polyphony will even add that, when what they have ahead of them is probably more important, plus Polyphony's own history with either straight up lying about major game features coming via updates, or coming in a completely different form then what was initially shown, I don't know.

What also bothers me is that Polyphony are obviously re-using RM spec vehicles from GT5/6 and making them new cars, going by the S15 and Roadster Touring Cars. Why not just add the rest of them as potential upgrade paths for their specific vehicles? It'd be a nice stop gap measure at least.

What really baffles me is that they didn't put the Watanabe 8 spokes despite modelling one for the AE86 Shigeno.

I think almost every damn racing game has the 8 Spokes while one of the biggest japanese racing franchise don't? lol
It got removed from WMMT6RR because of licensing issues, for the record.

Ah, more stuff in the roulette then. :banghead:

Rocket bunny is a FAD , mark my word's in ten years no one will want anything to do with a rocket bunny car, the same way no one wants anything to do with a ricer from 2005 or a sticker bombed car from 2012.
I'm gonna keep rocking my timeless stuff, thank god I didn't hack up my rx3 chasing a fad.

Yes, it is my opinion, but why should polyphony waste time modeling kits that will go out of style in a few years? When I see people play NFS underground today they literally ignore 99% of the mods and try to design car's as "clean" as possible..

Or maybe some people actually like these and would do it regardless of whether it's the prevailing "style" or whatever.

You seem overly concerned with what is in style and what other people think about what your car looks like. I would have thought that the most important thing is that your car looks good to you - you're the one who has to look at it the most. If people like Rocket Bunny kits then more power to them, and I hope they're not turned off by people like you who try and gatekeep what is and isn't acceptable "car style".

I have to disagree with that. Look at the '69 Mustang, the Corvette C6 ZR-1,'06 Viper SRT-10, '69 Camaro, Corvette C7, Corvette C4 and even the Delorean.
Are you kidding me? You can't even install a roll cage in a 69 Camaro! Absurd.

Yeah I feel it's overall a missed opportunity for the tuning industry in general...hks, greddy, even factory OEM are missing the boat here, imagine being able to put period correct nismo parts on Nissan models. How about different hoods, bumpers, steering wheels, seats. Lip kits are cool but it seems limited. More wheel brands I hope will come in updates...Gran Turismo in alot of ways helped create the tuning car industry and I guess I was expecting a bit more.

Last edited:
Or maybe some people actually like these and would do it regardless of whether it's the prevailing "style" or whatever.

You seem overly concerned with what is in style and what other people think about what your car looks like. I would have thought that the most important thing is that your car looks good to you - you're the one who has to look at it the most. If people like Rocket Bunny kits then more power to them, and I hope they're not turned off by people like you who try and gatekeep what is and isn't acceptable "car style".
Dunno what he means by people not wanting anything to do with a "ricer" from 2005... If anything, I want those days back!

Back