The visual customization in the game is really lackluster, isn't it?

Now's as good a time as any to start adding some, no? The market and audience have changed since 25 years ago, it's time PD also evolved.
You're asking for the game that can't even give us a real career mode and instead gave us whatever the hell cafe menus were supposed to be, to evolve with the times? lol

gt7 is a ps2 game with better graphics and online play, that's a big part of it's charm (and also a big part of its problem). Asking it to "get with the times" when it very clearly has no intention to do so is hilarious

Last edited:
PD couldn't even offer the bare minimum and give us OEM lip kits and accessories with some cars. I do like that some cars (like the Civic) have the ability to change the OEM grills around, but why stop there? I expected the Integra to have its OEM accessory side skirts and rear lip and all I get is the generic carbon and a diffuser like wtf.

Not to mention but putting the towhook anywhere other than the standard location on one of these cars looks ugly as hell

I love the livery customisations

Attachments

• 16501316397053821122683891727247.jpg
    16501316397053821122683891727247.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 12
It's kind of a tough call. Games with really good customization tend to have much shorter car lists. If you want 3-4 good options for each car in the game you basically need to triple or quadruple the dev time it would take to model body kits for each car. Not to mention the kits need to be modelled at the same quality as the car itself, and new DLC cars will need to come with their own mods down the line as well.

So, given a game like GT I think what they have going in 7 is a good balance between increased customization while still allowing for a decently sized car list. With a game like GT I'd much rather PD focus on adding new cars to the game over time rather than focusing on bodywork for cars already in the game.

However, with that said the game is missing some of the options available for cars from GT5 and GT6. While those parts are no longer of acceptable quality and would need to be remodeled, it sucks they didn't get used as a basis for parts in GT7. Especially the 722 GT kit for the Mercedes SLR McLaren:

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
You're asking for the game that can't even give us a real career mode and instead gave us whatever the hell cafe menus were supposed to be, to evolve with the times? lol

gt7 is a ps2 game with better graphics and online play, that's a big part of it's charm (and also a big part of its problem). Asking it to "get with the times" when it very clearly has no intention to do so is hilarious
So then what's the point of demanding for better or more, if this is just going to be the response to that?

If you want 3-4 good options for each car in the game you basically need to triple or quadruple the dev time it would take to model body kits for each car. Not to mention the kits need to be modelled at the same quality as the car itself, and new DLC cars will need to come with their own mods down the line as well.
Almost like Polyphony has admitted, and has continually used, outsourcing to make that happen.

Customization was one of the largest aspects trumpeted in the lead up to the game. To have what we have is lackluster, and can be very easily remedied.

Honestly, as outdated and conservative as PD is, I don't think they will add any of those wide bodykits anytime soon.

Personally, I don't see those kits to be much adequate for track use. Hypothetically, if I had a track day car, or a race car to participate on local events, I wouldn't see the point of buying and installing a bodykit that costs thousands of dollars on a car that it's very likely to crash, or have an incident such as a tire blow out, or anything else that would rip the body off, like contact with other drivers.

I see these high end bodykits more of a show off, than an actual efficient car part. It's ok for street use, car events and so on, but probably not aerodynamically focused to have any track advantage. But yeah appart of that, they look cool.

Forza has licensed body kits.
I was going to mention Forza. In some ways it's cool, in others, so so. Some of the kits are downright ugly, clearly only for the NFS-style "street racer" kids. I tended to use the few that looked like they were actually useful for racing, so I ended up using a couple of options on all the same cars. And many cars were stuck using the "Forza" brand rear wings because nothing else was available that looked legitimate, or was available period. Therefore, a lot of Trial, C-West and a Top Secret here and there. Plus a lot of Forza(tm) brand part.

It would be nice to get more body kit goodies, particularly hoods, but if PD doesn't give us any more options in the future, I think I'll live. ;)

Japanese-00.jpg

European-00.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again - PD NEEDS to add in garage play: open car doors / hoods/ trunks, start/stop the engine, rev the engine. And view it from new angles, meaning from above (there are some cool designs we don't get to see otherwise). Should be built in at some point to this AAA game.

If anything, i wish if Polyphony and other game developers were actually stuck in the late 90s or mid 2000s. Because it means we will actually have decent and fun games with no greedy F2P-like systems and games that actually work at launch.

It irks me when people imply that anything old/new is automatically bad/good just because.

//Offtopic

=========
But yeah, the customisation leaves a lot to be desired. It's not all bad but it's nowhere near as good as NFS 2015, Midnight Club LA's or even Tokyo Xtreme Racer's customisation.

On average, the cars have more unique visual customisation than those found in Forza which's surprising really. On the other hand, the few cars that Forza did took their time to implement proper bodykits and spoilers for, tend to easily blow GT out of the water.

GT7 needs to have proper aftermarket bumpers and bonnets. Also i find it odd how while the race wing is pretty customizable, it's still a bit of a downgrade compared to the one from GT6. GT7 also lacks the option to install gauges like in GT6.

Last edited:
Upgrading your car into a race modded version needs to make a comeback even though they can be bought as is, similar to how they were in GT6. Also, the gauge and spoiler customization is lacking compared to 6. The bumper and fender parts seemed better 8 years ago as well. And although I haven't tried too hard look for them, carbon parts and window tinting don't seem to be in the game either.

If I remember correctly, lowering your suspension in the older titles was reflected visually. I have not really noticed it this time around.

Upgrading your car into a race modded version needs to make a comeback even though they can be bought as is, similar to how they were in GT6. Also, the gauge and spoiler customization is lacking compared to 6. The bumper and fender parts seemed better 8 years ago as well. And although I haven't tried too hard look for them, carbon parts and window tinting don't seem to be in the game either.

If I remember correctly, lowering your suspension in the older titles was reflected visually. I have not really noticed it this time around.
You can “tint” the rear windows with the gradient shapes.

As for ride height, it’s noticeable. Some cars can get that Super Touring look, but even with -5 camber, the cars don’t turn like those Super Tourers do. Those cars can navigate the hairpin at Macau. My Beetle couldn’t navigate T2 at Brands Hatch. :lol:

I'd like to see bolt on kits such as liberty walk, veilside, vorsteiner etc. I know they're not everyone's cup of tea but it's nice to have the option. The bit that lacks most for me though is the alloy wheel selection, I'd like to see more companies adden, especially Ronal as they made some fantastic rims. Overall the game just lacks in almost every department.

I was going to mention Forza. In some ways it's cool, in others, so so. Some of the kits are downright ugly, clearly only for the NFS-style "street racer" kids. I tended to use the few that looked like they were actually useful for racing, so I ended up using a couple of options on all the same cars. And many cars were stuck using the "Forza" brand rear wings because nothing else was available that looked legitimate, or was available period. Therefore, a lot of Trial, C-West and a Top Secret here and there. Plus a lot of Forza(tm) brand part.

It would be nice to get more body kit goodies, particularly hoods, but if PD doesn't give us any more options in the future, I think I'll live. ;)
A lot of the more outlandish aero kits in Forza land come from cars that are still using their original models(just updated) from FM1. It's mildly amusing when you put them on too because all the openings on them just become black holes because they're assets from 20 years ago that haven't changed.

As much as people want to complain about the current widebody kits just being flared fenders, they're realistically there so you can widen the cars wheel base which improves grip, the same as real race cars wide body kits. If it serves a purpose to improve car performance, PD have or will likely add it.

As far as NFS is concerned, thats an arcade game with little interest in actually simulating how a huge wing and excessive body kit impacts performance, drag and downforce, so they can throw hundreds of options at the player and not worry about it.

Realistically, you'll quite likely find that the majority of the kits in real life either serve no purpose and are just designed to mimic actual race spec aero kits, or just look good and that they actually hinder performance.

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting widebody mods for a lot of cars to be honest but some cars just have the "widebody" constitute of wheel arches rolled out which to me is not worth the effort it took to model it.

There's not really enough new wheels in the game either. I just don't know what PD spent five years doing.

Last edited:
I just wish you were able to space out the manufacturer wheels more to fill the wider archs instead of having to install aftermarket ones.

The "wide" option for manufacturer wheels after installing the widebody kit is just not wide enough.

Last edited:
What I'd want to see:

- custom gauges and seats. We already can add roll cages, so why not those two?

- Front canards. They are purposeful too, especially for cars that need more front downforce.

What I love in GT7 is the fact that the aero kits give a lot more adjustability to the downforce compared to previous games.

As much as people want to complain about the current widebody kits just being flared fenders, they're realistically there so you can widen the cars wheel base which improves grip, the same as real race cars wide body kits. If it serves a purpose to improve car performance, PD have or will likely add it.

As far as NFS is concerned, thats an arcade game with little interest in actually simulating how a huge wing and excessive body kit impacts performance, drag and downforce, so they can throw hundreds of options at the player and not worry about it.

Realistically, you'll quite likely find that the majority of the kits in real life either serve no purpose and are just designed to mimic actual race spec aero kits, or just look good and that they actually hinder performance.
100% agree.

Though I would appreciate some more licensed aftermarket bumpers. Not even expecting LBWK or RWB, either.

What I'd want to see:

- custom gauges and seats. We already can add roll cages, so why not those two?
Um..........not ALL cars can get roll cages. All of the Camaro's in the game is one example of this. You can tune a Camaro to 900hp but can't install a roll cage? That's NFS-like and not a "Real Driving Simulator". The roll cages are general and look the same in any car you're allowed to install them. So WHY can't you install them in ALL the cars?

Last edited:
Um..........not ALL cars can get roll cages. All of the Camaro's in the game is one example of this. You can tune a Camaro to 900hp but can't install a roll cage? That's NFS-like and not a "Real Driving Simulator". The roll cages are general and look the same in any car you're allowed to install them. So WHY can't you install them in ALL the cars?
...Chevrolet probably said no.

...Chevrolet probably said no.
Strangely enough, that's entirely possible. Ferrari is another case. It seems they don't like custom / fantasy liveries on their beautiful cars, only licensed ones from developers, and they might not be cheap. I'm grateful we can add liveries of our own, and the community has made some great ones.

I'm hopeful that this is one area in which GT7 can grow, but then I'm the perpetual GT optimist.

As you said, they are generic, so it's quite likely that they simply don't fit into some cars no matter how they scale them.

This would take a lot of work... There's about what? 200 cars that would need such kits? I don't particularly mind this too much as I like driving the cars stock, and if I want "upgraded" cars I'll just use the race cars.

But yes, this is something PD can explore in the future. AFTER they add propper content to it. And also, I take priority on more cars and tracks over body parts and kits.

The livery editor though is probably the best you can have out of all the games.

The visual upgrades do need work in certain aspects but with the Livery options and widebody upgrades you can basically make entirely new cars:

Just with the livery editor and widebody options i've made:

3x Dodge Viper GTS/R
3x 993 GT2 Evo
1x 911 GT1 Evo
2x Corvette C6R
2x Lamborghini Murcielago RGT
1x Lamborghini Diablo SVR Jota
1x Ferrari F40 LM/Competizone

With enough creativity you can certainly make many cars though I agree that having interior upgrades like racing seats and stripped out dashboards would greatly help the immersion.

GT5's was pretty good giving as an ability to add winglets at times and offering dfferent front and rear bumpers for certain cars too. But Yes coupled with the Livery editor the GT7 customization is the best, but honestly much of that owing to the livery editor itself.

It's like the idea for the wide body feature was heavily based on car mod's from the late 70's right up until the early 90's. Extended Flares look great on classic cars, but almost non existent if even out of place by themselves on most of the modern cars.

When I saw the S15 TC revealed in pics for GT7 I thought perhaps it was a S15 that under went the wide body feature. No such luck. I often think why couldn't wide body of just been a way to reintroduce the old TC, and homologated cars, and expand on it. A missed opportunity. The CRZ, RX7, R32,33, 34 and even 35 TC's were real gems would of been cool to finally spec your own version with different choices of rear wings and such.

A few things thats really missing is the ability to change the Bonnet / Hood , The ability to change the trunk / boot lid , The ability to add front canards for extra downforce and the ability to add a flat floor to the underneath of the car. It would be nice to have the ability to change the bonnet for extra aero and carbon hood to reduce weight. The ability to change the trunk / boot lid for a carbon one to reduce weight would be nice. It would be great to have the ability to add a flat floor and front canards to help with better aero / downforce and extra ground effect

Back