The Where's the Outrage Thread

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 278 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that when an educated black person ,regardless of political affiliation speaks the truth their opinion it is dismissed as right wing rhetoric or their called Uncle Tom?

Well, for one thing, it's not "the truth" just because you say it is. Re-wording the question to reflect that we're actually talking about opinions changes things a bit, doesn't it? It strips away many unnecessary assumptions, like a black person speaking on racial matters is automatically right (which is fundamentally disproved by the black people on the other side of the argument, which I would've thought was too obvious to need pointing out).

Anybody is capable of having an opinion that aligns with right wing thinking, regardless of skin color. So what's the problem with recognizing it as such?

As far as Uncle Tom, well, you're just adding that for the inflammatory factor. Nobody here has ever used that term (to my knowledge), and I think almost everybody here would instantly recognize the inanity and pettiness of doing so, and would respond to it accordingly.

Well, for one thing, it's not "the truth" just because you say it is. Re-wording the question to reflect that we're actually talking about opinions changes things a bit, doesn't it? It strips away many unnecessary assumptions, like a black person speaking on racial matters is automatically right (which is fundamentally disproved by the black people on the other side of the argument, which I would've thought was too obvious to need pointing out).

Anybody is capable of having an opinion that aligns with right wing thinking, regardless of skin color. So what's the problem with recognizing it as such?

As far as Uncle Tom, well, you're just adding that for the inflammatory factor. Nobody here has ever used that term (to my knowledge), and I think almost everybody here would instantly recognize the inanity and pettiness of doing so, and would respond to it accordingly.
The Uncle Tom is the narrative of a certain movement. Clearly you didn't watch the videos. As the last one is 1 hr and 57 minutes of actual black people in a roundtable.

Well that's just about the most succinct way to describe this whole thing that I've seen.
Yeah, it was succinct.

:lol:

The post below it was really kind of awesome.

The Uncle Tom is the narrative of a certain movement.
Movements don't have narratives. Individuals who have a stake in some part or all of a movement may follow narratives, but that doesn't mean everyone who has stake in some part or all of the same movement follows the same narratives. This lack of unification is taken advantage of by those who oppose some part or all of the movement and who put forth bad faith arguments as you have.

I'd say you're smart enough to realize this, but you actually responded to my post saying that a four-door hardtop Chevelle with SS badges wasn't a real SS car because Chevrolet didn't produce said Chevelle Sport Sedan in SS trim by saying that it wasn't a real SS because there was no four-door SS.

Yeah, it was succinct.

:lol:

The post below it was really kind of awesome.

Movements don't have narratives. Individuals who have a stake in some part or all of a movement may follow narratives, but that doesn't mean everyone who has stake in some part or all of the same movement follows the same narratives. This lack of unification is taken advantage of by those who oppose some part or all of the movement and who put forth bad faith arguments as you have.

I'd say you're smart enough to realize this, but you actually responded to my post saying that a four-door hardtop Chevelle with SS badges wasn't a real SS car because Chevrolet didn't produce said Chevelle Sport Sedan in SS trim by saying that it wasn't a real SS because there was no four-door SS.
I own a 71 Chevelle,its a 2 door Malibu,not an SS. Your point? They didn't make 4 door SS Chevelles which is false? I said its true and it is. Would you like a picture? Please don't get into a debate with a person who own's and has owned said cars. It could get messy real quick.

Last edited:
I own a 71 Chevelle,its a 2 door Malibu,not an SS. Your point? They didn't make 4 door SS Chevelles which is false? I said its true and it is. Would you like a picture? Please don't get into a debate with a person who own's and has owned said cars. It could get messy real quick.
A continuation of the more-door hardtop binge that got kicked off for me last night, here's a '71 Chevelle Sport Sedan.

depley[1].jpg
depley[3].jpg

It's a fake SS--only the Sport Coupe, convertible and El Camino got the SS treatment for 1971, just as the year before--and that irks me, but it looks the business with those 15" Kelsey Hayes steel sport "mags" and it may well pack some heat under the hood.

That color combination is also making me feel all tingly inside.
Its a 4 door. They didn't make 4 door SS cars.
I know. You can tell I know because I said so in that which you quoted.
*snickering softly*

My point, which you don't seem to understand I already made from start to finish, was that I'm not comfortable saying you're smart enough to understand that movements don't have narratives. I then offered reason to question whether you're smart enough to understand that movements don't have narratives by referring to an inane response you had to something I'd posted elsewhere.

*snickering softly*

My point, which you don't seem to understand I already made from start to finish, was that I'm not comfortable saying you're smart enough to understand that movements don't have narratives. I then offered reason to question whether you're smart enough to understand that movements don't have narratives by referring to an inane response you had to something I'd posted elsewhere.
Movements don't have narratives? I guess you missed that whole Nazi thing that started WW2. NOW I'm snickering.

Movements don't have narratives? I guess you missed that whole Nazi thing that started WW2. NOW I'm snickering.
Correct. Movements don't have narratives. You haven't offered anything to refute that statement. What you've offered actually supports the statement.

Individuals who have stake in some part or all of a movement may have or follow narratives, but movements themselves don't have narratives.

Did you recently suffer considerable head trauma?

As the last one is 1 hr and 57 minutes of actual black people in a roundtable.

I have no interest in giving two hours of my life to any video that the poster can't even be bothered to summarize. The only context you gave was that Whitlock got called Uncle Tom. I don't need to watch the video to know my reaction to that: so what; nobody here said that. Why did you come here demanding an explanation for something that wasn't said by anybody here?

Jason Whitlock's take is bad, and it has nothing to do with his skin color. He's perpetuating the "gotcha" that Republicans have been trying to push for months now; namely that supporting BLM somehow means one is okay with kids getting killed. Which, to once again state the obvious, if they're not getting killed by cops, and their killers aren't walking free, then it's utterly irrelevant to what BLM is all about. It's a stupid take when it comes from Angry Internet Guy, and it's a stupid take when it comes from a black journalist, too.

Correct. Movements don't have narratives. You haven't offered anything to refute that statement. What you've offered actually supports the statement.

Individuals who have stake in some part or all of a movement may have or follow narratives, but movements themselves don't have narratives.
🤬
Did you recently suffer considerable head trauma?
Actually thanks for reminding me of the massive head trauma I suffered in 1990 in a car accident. Your a complete 🤬 of 🤬. But anyhow.
https://sociology.as.virginia.edu/stories-change-narrative-and-social-movements

I gather you thought this was some kind of mic drop moment, but from where I sit, it looks like you did nothing more than peck at your keyboard until movement + narrative appeared in a search bar and then copied the first link that included a .edu.

I read the contents of the link. It was a book summary. It was brief. Given the contents of the summary, I question whether you read it before posting. I question whether you even opened the link. It doesn't refute my statement that movements don't have narratives. It refers to some correlation between narratives and movements, and suggests that examination of narratives may provide insight into how movements gain traction.

You're out of your depth.

Okay, so I could probably address the ignorance of that response, but what really jumps out at me is how others have chosen to respond silently. I mean...it's colorful, so it's hard to miss (I gather color is added to indicate how the person who took the screenshot voted).
I can just imagine the thought process (I'm being generous here, calling it a thought process when it's likely a knee-jerk response)of those who contributed to the prevailing ratings.
"Opposing view."
*REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*
"Yeeeeaaahh, you tell 'em."
Goddamn echo chamber.
Yeah, the color indicates the user's vote, which led me to same conclusion. A similar result in that sub. was watching someone comment, it was a good thing New York could be defunded so his tax dollars would stop "paying for the libs" & hoped they wouldn't move down to his Florida. Dude got absolutely slammed for not knowing it's the other way around b/c New York gives more than it takes. But, his post was still positively upvoted, so there were probably plenty of other Florida Men who agreed.

It's not shocking though, I guess. When articles are shared, you can always see the source; Fox, Breitbart, Washington Examiner, Gateway Pundit, etc., the expected are routine favorites & even once in a while, a Christian-based source with a super-religious take on a situation. But, it's so telling of the source's intent when you see some of these "articles" being shared as "Look what they're doing!", even when the headline says it's not actually proven - in this case, an article claiming, "A man found thousands of ballots in a dumpster & they are covering them up - we are working to verify. Big if true". Congrats right-wing media, you do the same thing MSM does; push a story out as quick as possible knowing that even if a retraction is made, the misleading message is now founded.
I mean BLM started under Obama. I don't recall him doing much.
Because he took a neutral, but sympathetic stance. Which is honestly, probably the best way to address it as head of a nation to avoid presenting clear favoritism.
The Uncle Tom is the narrative of a certain movement.
Uncle Tom is only used as an insult to automatically invalidate another person's view. It's nothing more than extremist take & is far from the accepted narrative.

Case in point: Terry Crews. He made it a point to address that BLM followers have to be careful about not going from fighting for equality to fighting for superiority. Whilst many called him an Uncle Tom, many also came to his defense showcasing that the extremism & racist names hurled at Terry are exactly what he's talking about.

Related point: Nick Cannon & Stephen Jackson sharing & defending antisemitic views in relation to black history. Prominent figures in sports came out & immediately criticized such view points, detailing how de-railing such comments are to the movement, including Stephen A. Smith. Smith was also called an Uncle Tom by some on social media for lambasting them, which proves the disconnect from reality those people have: Smith is so outspoken for BLM & black America, to the point even his arguments on TV will in rare discussions, tip toe a racial line of "equality/what's owed" (ex. not enough black coaches/FO personnel). The man is anything but an Uncle Tom.

But, the sheer fact so many ousted Cannon & Jackson's views as hate speech & advised such rhetoric linking to Louis Farrakhan, not be a representation of BLM, is clear evidence that "Uncle Tom" is not the narrative at all. A black man was allowed to exercise caution to the movement & 2 black men were verbally disciplined for promoting divisiveness despite being celebrity figureheads of a movement about equality.

Police: Dad Googled ‘How Do You Know if a Baby Is Dead’ After Raping Infant
Montgomery County District Attorney
KATHERINE RODRIGUEZ8 Oct 20209,329

A Pennsylvania father accused of raping his ten-month-old daughter, who died after the attack over the weekend, googled phrases such as, “How do you know if a baby is dead?” before calling 911, police said.

Austin Stevens, 29, spent nearly an hour online searching for details related to the crime Saturday night, with searches reportedly including, “What if you don’t hear baby heart or beat,” “If baby stop breathing,” and “My baby isn’t breathing,” the New York Daily News reported.

Penn Live reported that first responders were dispatched to the home at 10:40 p.m. Saturday to respond to the father’s delayed 911 call about his unresponsive daughter.

Stevens’s daughter, Zara Scruggs, did not survive the rape and was pronounced dead at a hospital on Sunday shortly after midnight.

Police discovered a bloody diaper along with phone records as part of their investigation.

An autopsy later confirmed the infant had been brutally raped and suffered from blunt force trauma to her head and anal rectal trauma, according to a statement from the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office.

“This case is deeply disturbing,” District Attorney Kevin Steele said in a statement. “It is hard to imagine this child’s death being any more traumatic: sexual assault on an infant, followed by inaction by the father to save her life, led to her death.”

Stevens was charged with multiple felonies, including rape of a child, aggravated assault, involuntary deviant sexual intercourse, aggravated indecent assault, and endangering the welfare of a child.

Stevens is being held on $1 million bond and is set to appear in court next week.

Prosecutors said Stevens had sole custody of the infant under an agreement made with the infant’s mother.

The investigation is ongoing, and Stevens could face additional charges.

Link

Maybe cause he was the dad?
It's certainly a grim case, but it looks quite like the guy - and at this point we should remember he's been accused and charged, but not tried and convicted - has been caught and is in the process of going through the criminal justice system charged with crimes appropriate to the offence.

Sure, the crime is outrageous, and the perpetrator should be subject to outrage, but it's all being dealt with appropriately - which is not an outrage. The case is being reported in mainstream national media, including the New York Post, CBS affiliates, and NBC, so it's not like it has gone under the radar for reporting as per the first post.

Which begs the question of why it's been posted at all. I'm not sure who needs reminding that raping babies to death is so far over the horrible event horizon that there's absolutely no coming back from it, so why is it here?

I think it's an outrage that this kind of thing can even happen. I'm not outraqed that the perps are getting off lightly or scot-free; as noted the wheels of justice are turning and hopefully if found guilty they'll get what they deserve.

What I don't get is what difference does the number of outlets covering the story make?
If it was so trending in the news we'd all know about it, but guess what? I bet none of y'all knew about the story until it was posted.
Oh and if someone came in here with a post with no link claiming where's the outrage? The first thing y'all would say is where's the link.
There's plenty to be outraged over in that story but all y'all have better to do is be outraged someone posted a story that regardless of however many stations are showing is not trending in the news.
And so what he's been arrested?! There's still plenty to be outraged about!
That's what I made this thread for and y'all still complain!
I give up with y'all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back