The "will my system run iRacing" and technical help thread.

• Thread starter Pingwhen
  • 177 comments
I'm thinking about getting started in iracing, but I want to try it first on my regular PC before buying one for gaming.

Here's the specs I have at the moment.

HP Pavilion p6-2035uk - Additional specs if needed.
OS - Windows 7 64-bit
Processer - Intel Core i3-2120, 3.3 GHz
RAM - 4GB DDR3
Graphics - intel hd graphics family

Monitor - Dell 24 U2412M (1920 x 1200. 60Hz)
_____
Will this work on low settings?
I'm completely new to PC gaming so any advice is appreciated.

I'm thinking about getting started in iracing, but I want to try it first on my regular PC before buying one for gaming.

Here's the specs I have at the moment.

HP Pavilion p6-2035uk - Additional specs if needed.
OS - Windows 7 64-bit
Processer - Intel Core i3-2120, 3.3 GHz
RAM - 4GB DDR3
Graphics - intel hd graphics family

Monitor - Dell 24 U2412M (1920 x 1200. 60Hz)
_____
Will this work on low settings?
I'm completely new to PC gaming so any advice is appreciated.

Try this, if you meet the recommended specs, you should have no problem

Hello!

I would like to ask you for advice. I'm looking to buy a laptop that will be capable of running iRacing maxed out. The reason why it has to be a laptop is because I need to take it often with me and cannot afford separate laptop and desktop computers.

I'm looking into this particular configuration (Lenovo Y50-70):

- Intel Core i5 4200H (Intel HM86 chipset) 2 x 2,8 - 2,4 GHz
- 8 GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz
- 256GB SSD hard drive SATA III
- nVidia GTX 860M graphics with 4GB DDR5 memory

I will buy new serial key for Windows 7 since I own this system on DVD for my current laptop.

In my country this laptop costs about $1,000 and it is an acceptable price for me. The target fps should be something around 80 or more. I'm playing on 23 inch TV with 1680x1050 resolution through HDMI cable.

Anyone runs iRacing on similar configuration?

Thanks in advance!

I have a 2012 IMac and a G27 Logitech Racing Wheel. My Logitech gaming software won't run on my IMac. Is there any software out the for the G27 for the IMac?

I have a 2012 IMac and a G27 Logitech Racing Wheel. My Logitech gaming software won't run on my IMac. Is there any software out the for the G27 for the IMac?
To be honest, don't even try iRacing on Mac OS X for actual racing, performs so bad since it's just a wine wrapper.. If you have a BootCamp partition, use it there. You'll have all the drivers and tools available directly and runs so much better! I tried it on my MacBook and it runs quite ok on Windows while on the lowest settings on Mac OS I couldn't even get 20fps. In my opinion, the Mac App is only useful to have the full functionality in the web front end.

To be honest, don't even try iRacing on Mac OS X for actual racing, performs so bad since it's just a wine wrapper.. If you have a BootCamp partition, use it there. You'll have all the drivers and tools available directly and runs so much better! I tried it on my MacBook and it runs quite ok on Windows while on the lowest settings on Mac OS I couldn't even get 20fps. In my opinion, the Mac App is only useful to have the full functionality in the web front end.
thanks for the advice Mark. Will look into it.

Hello!

I would like to ask you for advice. I'm looking to buy a laptop that will be capable of running iRacing maxed out. The reason why it has to be a laptop is because I need to take it often with me and cannot afford separate laptop and desktop computers.

I'm looking into this particular configuration (Lenovo Y50-70):

- Intel Core i5 4200H (Intel HM86 chipset) 2 x 2,8 - 2,4 GHz
- 8 GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz
- 256GB SSD hard drive SATA III
- nVidia GTX 860M graphics with 4GB DDR5 memory

I will buy new serial key for Windows 7 since I own this system on DVD for my current laptop.

In my country this laptop costs about $1,000 and it is an acceptable price for me. The target fps should be something around 80 or more. I'm playing on 23 inch TV with 1680x1050 resolution through HDMI cable.

Anyone runs iRacing on similar configuration?

Thanks in advance!

I used to have the lenovo y510p, so in other words, the predecessor of the y50-70.

I had the i7 4500 with 8gb ram and a GT750m 2GB and I could run iracing with everything on MAX at 1080p at 65-75 FPS in windows 8.1 on a 24'' monitor (1080p)

So long story short, yes, the Lenovo Y50-70 will run iracing on MAX settings at 100FPS at 1680x1050 !

Hi! I'm saving money to buy a new PC and a steering wheel, but until then I have to use my laptop.

Yesterday I read that 3 months of iRacing cost only $5 with a promo code and I wanted to take that offer, but I don't know if my laptop can run it (with stable 30-40 fps at least):

Intel Core i5 3230M
Intel HD4000 Mobile graphics
4GB RAM
768x1366 screen

I would play it with a PS3 controller until I buy a steering wheel. Thanks!

Hi! I'm saving money to buy a new PC and a steering wheel, but until then I have to use my laptop.

Yesterday I read that 3 months of iRacing cost only $5 with a promo code and I wanted to take that offer, but I don't know if my laptop can run it (with stable 30-40 fps at least):

Intel Core i5 3230M
Intel HD4000 Mobile graphics
4GB RAM
768x1366 screen

I would play it with a PS3 controller until I buy a steering wheel. Thanks!
Stable 30-40 FPS should be doable with that setup. My only concern is that PS3 controller, could be really hard to get a clean lap with that in my opinion. But for 5$ worth a try.

Just stopping by to say that I’m running iRacing with a resolution of 1440x900 at 70fps on my 2007 Macbook Pro (C2D@2.4GHz and NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT).

Yes, it’s from 2007. So it’s very likely that almost every single computer which is sold right now should run it decently.

I am going to put this here for anyone who is worried about running iRacing. The answer is you can. I get 40-60fps on a custom setting the I would say is close to low/med settings @768*1366 using this hunk o'junk:
AMD A8 6410 @2.0GHz
ATI Radeon R5 M230 (basically the equivalent of Intel HD4000)
8GB RAM (shared with GPU)
HDMI cable to my TV

Honestly the game looks fine, its not quite as shiny as it could be but its not like there aren't any shadows or anything like that. The only problem has been that my laptop is of lower resolution to my TV so I have to run in windowed mode otherwise my TV tries to fill 1080*1920 pixels with 768*1366 input now that I'm on Windows 10 (Never happened before). But I digress.

Yep, iracing does run on very low spec pcs very well. (as long as you have the eye candy turn off) and besides, it is all about the game play not how pretty it looks.

iracing pride themselves that the system runs on low spec machines....unlike other games!

I am going to put this here for anyone who is worried about running iRacing. The answer is you can. I get 40-60fps on a custom setting the I would say is close to low/med settings @768*1366 using this hunk o'junk:
AMD A8 6410 @2.0GHz
ATI Radeon R5 M230 (basically the equivalent of Intel HD4000)
8GB RAM (shared with GPU)
HDMI cable to my TV

Honestly the game looks fine, its not quite as shiny as it could be but its not like there aren't any shadows or anything like that. The only problem has been that my laptop is of lower resolution to my TV so I have to run in windowed mode otherwise my TV tries to fill 1080*1920 pixels with 768*1366 input now that I'm on Windows 10 (Never happened before). But I digress.

Check your graphics settings in sim, then in windows, then set your tv, some modes do weird things in tv's

Hello everyone, I'm looking into building 2 computers for the real life race team I am with and want to get some opinions on some items. To start, this will be my first time building a triple screen setup, and I am looking at doing it with 2 different kinds of setups. One is with the current day's most up to date hardware, and the other is a more budget friendly option, but still should work. For both setups, I am hoping to run on max settings if possible. The two sim software's that I would be using are Assetto Corsa and iRacing.

Option A

Resolution: 7680x1440

Case: Thermaltike Level 10 Titanium Edition or InWin S-Frame Glass
Motherboard: ASRock Gaming Fatal1ty X99X Killer
Processor: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz
Processor Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2800
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB SSD (For Boot) and Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD (For Data)
Graphics Card: 2x SLI EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4998-KR 6GB Classified Gaming w/ACX 2.0+
Power Supply: Corsair RMx RM1000X 1000W ATX12V / EVS12V
Disc Drive: LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC68 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1
Monitors: 3x Asus ROG PG278Q Black 27" Gaming Monitor

Option B

Resolution : 5760x1080

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4/3.1ATX
Processor: Intel Core i7-5931K 3.5GHz 6-Core
Processor Cooler: Same as above
RAM: Same as above
Storage: Same as above
Graphics Card: 2x SLI EVGA GeForce GTX970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 850W
Monitors: 3x Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

Hello everyone, I'm looking into building 2 computers for the real life race team I am with and want to get some opinions on some items. To start, this will be my first time building a triple screen setup, and I am looking at doing it with 2 different kinds of setups. One is with the current day's most up to date hardware, and the other is a more budget friendly option, but still should work. For both setups, I am hoping to run on max settings if possible. The two sim software's that I would be using are Assetto Corsa and iRacing.

Option A

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB SSD (For Boot) and Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD (For Data)
Graphics Card: 2x SLI EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4998-KR 6GB Classified Gaming w/ACX 2.0+

Option B

I'd choose option A but I do think you should buy the 5930K instead of 5960X. Unless you are doing intensive rendering and the like then I don't think you need the extra two cores and 5mb of cache.

I had a hyper 212 CPU cooler , it was adequate. Then I upgraded to a Noctua NH-D14. Temps dropped by ten degrees , they are possibly the best air cooler on the market but are twice the price of the 212. (50 vs 100 dollars)
That's all I would change.

Option A

Option B

I replied to your iRacing forum post.
Except I recommended a corsair aio or a noctua d14/15, keep in mind that the corsair fans aren't great, one of mine cavitates on the H110i GT.

I was going to put a 128 GB SSD in my build but ended up going with a 256, and I wish I used a 512 GB even though I have only used less than 100 GB (closer to 70)

I would change the cooler to an NH-D15 or 14 (air) or a corsair H100i GTX or H110i GTX.

also always start out single card, so a 980ti would be upgradable to SLI in the future, starting with two 970s doesn't make sense.

The inwin case is pretty close to $1000 US. Try a Caselabs case or something less expensive to compensate for better parts.

850 pro 256gb or more would be more worth it than an 840.

You can usually find EVGA G2 and P2 power supplies cheaper than an Hx and are really nice. Corsair equipment is usually more expensive.

The speed of ram doesn't matter too much 2400 will do fine unless you found a good deal in something higher.

Don't forget case fans

See PCPartPicker.com

Edit: based on the fact that the S frame is 600 USD more than your other option, here is what I threw together for about 5300 USD using the 5930k. Also a Samsung 950 pro might be worth a look. I also threw in an EVGA P2 1200 which is a little over kill. You could overclock the 5930k with a 1000w PSU. PG279Q is IPS but 220 USD per monitor more and 21:9 screens cost about that much. Remove parts as necessary to achieve price goal.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cnYk23

Last edited:
So I'm looking into getting iRacing, but before I start, I have two problems; I don't have much money and I don't know a single thing about computers or processors or whatever goes in.

So I was wondering what would be the cheapest computer to run iRacing at a consistent 30-60 FPS on 3 screens in GBP?

Thanks in advance :)

Any computer will run it with 30-60 FPS on a single screen. As I’ve said, I ran it on my Laptop from 2007.

Just don’t get the cheapest you can find.

So I'm looking into getting iRacing, but before I start, I have two problems; I don't have much money and I don't know a single thing about computers or processors or whatever goes in.

So I was wondering what would be the cheapest computer to run iRacing at a consistent 30-60 FPS on 3 screens in GBP?

Thanks in advance :)

I believe something like this should do the trick. Small size, water cooled cpu (Because I've been told that the iRacing is more CPU heavy than Graphics card heavy, and good bang for the buck. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bKTc23

And 100% unnecessary. iRacing isn’t more CPU heavy than any other game. Maybe even less than your average Need For Speed as it doesn’t need to simulate computer opponents.

Oh, btw, I guess you already own a Computer? Something which runs Windows 7, 8 or 10? It’s quite likely that it runs iRacing just fine.

And 100% unnecessary. iRacing isn’t more CPU heavy than any other game. Maybe even less than your average Need For Speed as it doesn’t need to simulate computer opponents.

Oh, btw, I guess you already own a Computer? Something which runs Windows 7, 8 or 10? It’s quite likely that it runs iRacing just fine.
I would be able to but there's literally no hard drive space left, and we can't delete anything as everything we have on there is being used. There's also not much space left in the house meaning I'll have to run a different screen (If I can find out how to connect it, that is.)

Stupid question again but I'll ask it nonetheless; Could I possible store iRacing on a USB memory stick? (32 GB)

Last question, again stupid; I have 4 GB of RAM and I believe the website says 8 GB, will it work?

He asked about running triple screen and what was linked to is pretty much what youll need. Could maybe knock off about $250-$300, but that's about it. Now single screen, if that's what hes after, is a different thing.

Im no PC guru or anything and you may not quite need the build Kamui posted up but I think your going to need more that what smeisinger is suggesting. At one point you could get by running iracing on a lesser machine but those days are nearly over. When they go to DX11, which was slated for the next build in March a month away, but now looking like that will be delayed, older machines wont likely be able to run it. For example is my setup. It's about 4 1/2 years old now and it was no super pc when I got it but it was half decent. Back in those days when it was new and iracing wasn't as hard on pcs as it is now I could get 200-250 + FPS with everything turned up on high. Now I can only get 80 FPS or so with everything turned down to low and this is on a single monitor. There's no way I could run triples with what I have now.

As far as your situation goes I not really sure if you can use a flash drive to load iracing off of. Ive never heard of anyone trying that on iracing. With the new anti cheat system having to install on your pc Im not sure you would be able to have it all on a flash drive. Space wise you would be fine but I don't see how its going to load and start up off of a flash drive but I could be wrong as Ive never tried it or heard anybody that has. As far as the ram goes you might be able to get by with 4 gb on the older tracks but newer tracks like nurburgring will be out of the question. I just had to upgrade my ram from 4gb to 8gb this past build for nurburgring myself.

The best bet would be posting up your pc specs and/or posting up a budget if you can get something and people here could find something to fit in your budget. You could also maybe try out one of the one month subs to try and test the waters and see if your pc will run it. Not trying to be discouraging but iracing is much tougher on pcs now than even just 6 months ago and when dx11 comes it will be even more so. Im in the process of building another pc myself.

Im no PC guru or anything and you may not quite need the build Kamui posted up but I think your going to need more that what smeisinger is suggesting. At one point you could get by running iracing on a lesser machine but those days are nearly over. When they go to DX11, which was slated for the next build in March a month away, but now looking like that will be delayed, older machines wont likely be able to run it. For example is my setup. It's about 4 1/2 years old now and it was no super pc when I got it but it was half decent. Back in those days when it was new and iracing wasn't as hard on pcs as it is now I could get 200-250 + FPS with everything turned up on high. Now I can only get 80 FPS or so with everything turned down to low and this is on a single monitor. There's no way I could run triples with what I have now.

As far as your situation goes I not really sure if you can use a flash drive to load iracing off of. Ive never heard of anyone trying that on iracing. With the new anti cheat system having to install on your pc Im not sure you would be able to have it all on a flash drive. Space wise you would be fine but I don't see how its going to load and start up off of a flash drive but I could be wrong as Ive never tried it or heard anybody that has. As far as the ram goes you might be able to get by with 4 gb on the older tracks but newer tracks like nurburgring will be out of the question. I just had to upgrade my ram from 4gb to 8gb this past build for nurburgring myself.

The best bet would be posting up your pc specs and/or posting up a budget if you can get something and people here could find something to fit in your budget. You could also maybe try out one of the one month subs to try and test the waters and see if your pc will run it. Not trying to be discouraging but iracing is much tougher on pcs now than even just 6 months ago and when dx11 comes it will be even more so. Im in the process of building another pc myself.
As far as it says on the computer itself;
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium
Memory: 4 GB
Hard Drive: 320 GB
It also says stuff about Optical Drive and Wireless but I get the feeling OD is pointless to state and Wireless would be giving away details which could leave me hacked.

Budget is £250 GBP

As far as it says on the computer itself;
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium
Memory: 4 GB
Hard Drive: 320 GB
It also says stuff about Optical Drive and Wireless but I get the feeling OD is pointless to state and Wireless would be giving away details which could leave me hacked.

Budget is £250 GBP
I'm afraid neither is enough. :ill:

Back