The "will my system run iRacing" and technical help thread.

• Thread starter Pingwhen
  • 177 comments
Hi guys. First post. Ive been a long time console guy who just made the jump to Iracing and RaceRoom. I just picked up an old heavy built PC for a great price and need to do some upgrades.

Currently it is
Windows 7 64bit
Intel core 2 duo e3800
8GB dual channel
Pair of 512 mb geForce 9800
500gb not solid state
Stryker II extreme
Single 32 inch
Thrustmaster tx

I want to triple 24 or 27s
Im not going cheap so will do stuff in stages.

Should I go graphics card first then CPU then solid state drive? Can the 2 duo drive triples?

THANKS!
If you are not going cheap then don't waste your time on the triple screen. Get the Oculus CV1. It is supported by IRacing. Here is a link.

I'm helping a friend get a new PC so he can get back into iRacing. Trying to do it on a bit of budget for him, the PC will only be used for iRacing, Dirt Rally and maybe Assetto Corsa.
I'm going to try and get away with only a SSD hard drive...How big is everyones iRacing folder ? Dirt Rally says it's a 60GB File, I have no idea about the size of install for Assetto Corsa...Do you all reckon a 500gb will be alright to hold the OS, iRacing, Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa (with enough room left for future updates) ?

My mate is clueless with PC's so he is trusting me to set him up right first time.

I'm looking at a i5-6400+16gb RAM+GTX960(4gb)+SSD (and win10).
*Edit - I am open to any brand of GPX cards, AMD or Nvidia... If someone wants to recommend a better card.

Appreciate any input :cheers:

Last edited:
I'm helping a friend get a new PC so he can get back into iRacing. Trying to do it on a bit of budget for him, the PC will only be used for iRacing, Dirt Rally and maybe Assetto Corsa.
I'm going to try and get away with only a SSD hard drive...How big is everyones iRacing folder ? Dirt Rally says it's a 60GB File, I have no idea about the size of install for Assetto Corsa...Do you all reckon a 500gb will be alright to hold the OS, iRacing, Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa (with enough room left for future updates) ?

My mate is clueless with PC's so he is trusting me to set him up right first time.

*Edit - I am open to any brand of GPX cards, AMD or Nvidia... If someone wants to recommend a better card.

My Iracing folder is 35gb and I have all the content. A 500gb will likely be fine, but a 1 tb is likely not much more cost wise so I would go with that if it were me.

The ram and processor should be fine. When it comes to video cards your going to get different opinions. The 9 series cards are good of course but if you have the budget I might would try and get one of the new 1070 cards. Just because it will have a longer lasting power considering it just came out. Inside sim racing just did a review on one.

As long as he only uses the computer for Sim racing 500GB should be enough. iRacing is under 50GB. DiRT Rally is 64GB. And Assetto Corsa is in the 50GBish region.

That system should be easily good enough for a single screen. Assetto Corsa could be a slight trouble but I think it should be fine. If they're doing triples, like @MadRR said, upgrade to the 1000 series cards. They've inplemented some great triple screen performance into the 1000 series. If you're going for cheap single screen performance, I'd go with the new AMD RX480 or the GTX 970.

Cheers @MadRR and @Kamuifanboy
I did use up some of my friends budget talking him into buying a T500 wheel instead of a G29. I have a G27 but tried out another friends T500 and well it kinda made the Logitech wheels feel like a bit of a toy...So I upsold him to Thrustmaster. He has also had to buy a stand for it, so I kinda used over half his budget just getting him a decent wheel and stand.

Looks like I can get away with a 500gb drive so that will give me a few extra dollars to get the best graphics card I can get. He will only ever be running a single screen, so I dont think we need to go to the 1000 series cards....Also the 1000 series cards are over $1000 here in NZ (1070 = $1000, 1080 = $1300 :( ). I have no problems going to an AMD card, I run a HD7950 (on triples) and it still runs pretty good. Unfortunately it looks like RX480 has sold out before they even land in the country...And my friend is a little impatient so is not likely to wait for them either :lol:.

As it is the PC I've eyed up for him is $1500 NZD, I think I'll try to get an extra few dollars out of him so I can maybe try for a better graphics card....But I guess worst case,I could probably talk him into upgrading to a new card next year.

Again cheers for your input 👍
Wish me luck, because if he's not happy I wont hear the end of it :lol:

Ok guys, I have just bought this, https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...nware/alienware-15-15-6-gaming-laptop/937279/, dont worry i didn't pay any where that for it, for the specific purpose of iracing, the spec's should be kicking its backside, but I'm having issues with frame rate drops, it should be running at around 85fps with maximum detail, but I'm struggling to run at low detail with fps spikes around 60fps with drops as low as 35fps on some circuits, its got to be something to do with the hardware itself as i have trouble running youtube and IMSA livestreams, its on windows 10 and my last alienware laptop did the same thing with iracing when I updated that to windows 10, but that was well and truly outdated, any help will be appreciated,

Ok guys, I have just bought this, https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...nware/alienware-15-15-6-gaming-laptop/937279/, dont worry i didn't pay any where that for it, for the specific purpose of iracing, the spec's should be kicking its backside, but I'm having issues with frame rate drops, it should be running at around 85fps with maximum detail, but I'm struggling to run at low detail with fps spikes around 60fps with drops as low as 35fps on some circuits, its got to be something to do with the hardware itself as i have trouble running youtube and IMSA livestreams, its on windows 10 and my last alienware laptop did the same thing with iracing when I updated that to windows 10, but that was well and truly outdated, any help will be appreciated,

On my alienware there was a key to enable or disable the GPU, make sure it's enable and also check that the game is using your 970M instead of the cpu integrated GPU.

I have a 2011-2013 Toshiba Satellite E55t-A5320 with an Intel i5 and a GPU embedded into it. Will that handle iRacing fine?

Edit: I don't know about the number of cores in the i5 and have no clue what the GPU is.

I assume that is a laptop, if it is then it's a dual core with an iGPU, I would probably say no or very poorly. If it is a quad core desktop.... maybe but again not great.

I assume that is a laptop, if it is then it's a dual core with an iGPU, I would probably say no or very poorly. If it is a quad core desktop.... maybe but again not great.
Yes, it's a laptop. It can only really run older Valve games at any decent framerate.

According to a diagnostic test I did last night, my PC doesn't meet the minimum requirements to run iRacing. Among the things I don't have, I don't have enough processor speed or enough RAM. The only thing I could change is getting an extra 4GB RAM module to bump my RAM from 4GB to 8GB. The processor I have is a quad-core 1.99 GHz Intel Celeron J1900 processor. The diagnostic tool says something like the Intel Core i3 or up to i7 is recommended, or even an AMD Bulldozer processor were recommended. I installed a RAM module in my previous PC in hopes of playing "RACE 07" back then (never did get RACE 07 then), so I have some RAM installing experience.

I was going to post this in the main iRacing thread, but found this thread and decided to post here. I still don't see myself getting into iRacing, at least not now. I still have to set up my steering wheel to work and function on my PC. There is still the Logitech Driving Force Pro I used for Gran Turismo since Gran Turismo 4. Still a lot I have to adjust if I am to be even remotely seriously doing iRacing.

G'day guys, I'm building a cockpit for racing, and I cant decide whether to go for a 34 inch curved monitor, or for the same price I could get a 55 inch 4k TV so I was wondering if you guys could fill me in on the pros and cons?

Initially I'll be running it on my laptop (7700k, 1080 GPU) until I upgrade my desktop.

Thanks

Shane

G'day guys, I'm building a cockpit for racing, and I cant decide whether to go for a 34 inch curved monitor, or for the same price I could get a 55 inch 4k TV so I was wondering if you guys could fill me in on the pros and cons?

Initially I'll be running it on my laptop (7700k, 1080 GPU) until I upgrade my desktop.

Thanks

Shane
What matters more is the relationship between the distance from your eyes (to the screen and the number of screens) to the size of your screen.
1. Distance to the main screen

“The closer, the better”

As you probably imagine, the closer you are, the better realism and immersion you get.

With this subject in mind there are different variables, as the screen size.
Below 27 inches ideal distance is about 60 cm, always calculating from the driver eyes to the main screen.
Bigger screens need to increase this distance up to 10 cm, no more. Over 70 cm is not recommend because lack of coherence between “real” and “virtual” objects.

It takes time to accommodate to these kind of short distances.
http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3280847.page

Basically what I'm saying is if the distance between you and your monitors is quite a bit, you need a larger monitor. My distance to the screen is almost 5 feet and a 46" TV is just about the minimum I could recommend based on my experience. Also, a lot of people are at least looking into VR.

Last edited:
Getting back into iracing after a couple years hiatus. Probably stopped around April 2014.

Don't really use my desktop that much, as after iracing with new kids didn't game any.

My desktop hasn't gone through much upgrades, besides an SSD for OS and a new HDD for storage, but as much as i can remember the specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon II X3 460 (Am3)
Asus M4A78LT-M-LE
8GB DDR3
Geforce GTX 650TI 1GB (might be 2g)
Windows 10 Pro 64

Single monitor.

Updated to exact cpu

Being several years old, I know I will build a new machine at some point. However I'm just looking at right now.

Not looking for max settings, but average/medium settings @60fps.

New rig I'm on the fence whether to go for VR or Triple Screens. I wear glasses and it seems like Vive does better. How do you decide on a graphics cards for using VR? Just look at good single monitor card, or do you need more punch?

Thanks

Last edited:
Getting back into iracing after a couple years hiatus. Probably stopped around April 2014.

Don't really use my desktop that much, as after iracing with new kids didn't game any.

My desktop hasn't gone through much upgrades, besides an SSD for OS and a new HDD for storage, but as much as i can remember the specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon II X3 460 (Am3)
Asus M4A78LT-M-LE
8GB DDR3
Geforce GTX 650TI 1GB (might be 2g)
Windows 10 Pro 64

Single monitor.

Updated to exact cpu

Being several years old, I know I will build a new machine at some point. However I'm just looking at right now.

Not looking for max settings, but average/medium settings @60fps.

New rig I'm on the fence whether to go for VR or Triple Screens. I wear glasses and it seems like Vive does better. How do you decide on a graphics cards for using VR? Just look at good single monitor card, or do you need more punch?

Thanks

Hey @Infinital-NG hope this information helps. I'm no expert but I can give my insight as I've just upgraded to VR a few months ago with the Oculus.

As for your old system, you should find a way to check how much memory your graphics card has. 1GB to 2GB is a big difference in terms of how high of texture settings you can turn on. I think there was a 2GB version of the 650 Ti on the market but I can't remember off the top of my head. As for your current computer, medium settings should be fine with a 2GB card as long as you don't have too much running in the background.

With an upgrade in the future, VR and Triple screens pretty much need similar graphics cards to handle them. You will definitely need more punch than a single monitor card for VR as you need a pretty high speed gpu processor as well as a card capable of putting out 2 screens at once. You'll need a decent CPU with good multi-thread performance and the better graphics card you get, the better off you'll be. The resolution in the VR headsets aren't really that good yet, but you can use Supersampling to boost the look up quite a lot. This is where a better GPU really comes into play. I would say 1070 as a minimum, while I would suggest you to get a 1080 Ti because the power in it is just insane. I doubt the 1170 and 1180 will beat it based on what I've read of the 1100 series architecture.

Build critiques welcome! Looking to have enough horsepower to do a triple monitor config.

IRACING budget build

EVGA (17) EVGA 110-BQ-0600-K1 BQ 80 Plus Bronze Semi Modular 600W Power Supply

G.SKILL (1349) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

ASUS (18) ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G (780L) / SB710 USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX Motherboards - AMD

GIGABYTE (16) GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 Mini ITX OC 3GB GV-N1060IXOC-3GD Video Card

AMD (1487) AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5 GHz Socket AM3+ 95W FD6300WMHKBOX Desktop Processor Extra savings w/ promo code EMCBRBH32, ends 10/23

Subtotal (5 Items): $476.96

This won't do to well for triples. It will be OK for a single 1080p monitor. ~$1200-1500 USD is the sweet spot for price to performance in computers (including case, storage, and all). Check this page out, anything listed with an i5 and 1070 would be ok for your situation (I would probably go with a 1080 in hopes of a better price to performance in triples). I haven't done a whole lot of research in to the current AMD (Ryzen) lineup lately but there are viable options there too.

Last edited:
Never done iracing but looking at gettng into it..trying to get a budget machine to make sure i like it.

I3 ...4130@3.4ghz
8mb mg ram
Need graphics card prob 1050
Has 500gb hard drive
Windows 10 pro

this a decent one to start with?

Hello,

I may be able to pick up the system below for a couple of hundred bucks. Is it sufficient enough to run iRacing with triple 27's?

Model Number HP 6000 Pro
Processor / CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 (Quad Core, up to 2.3Ghz)
Memory
8GB
Hard drive
1TB (2x 500GB) HDD
CD Drive
DVDRW/CDRW combo
Graphics / Video
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 w/ HDMI
Wireless
Wi-Fi card installed

@tornadored2er

I'm a little out of touch, but at a guess I would say you would struggle to run triples at decent settings/FPS with that system.
I used to run triples on an old HD7950 (3gb) but had to run pretty low settings and FPS would jump all over the place, especially when the grid was getting pretty full.

So I would say it would work but dont expect anything special. My tips would be... GPU as good as you can afford with minimum 3gb memory, always get more RAM, for me 16GB is now the norm. And always run racing games on a hard wired internet connection if pos.

Hello,

I may be able to pick up the system below for a couple of hundred bucks. Is it sufficient enough to run iRacing with triple 27's?

Model Number HP 6000 Pro
Processor / CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 (Quad Core, up to 2.3Ghz)
Memory
8GB
Hard drive
1TB (2x 500GB) HDD
CD Drive
DVDRW/CDRW combo
Graphics / Video
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 w/ HDMI
Wireless
Wi-Fi card installed

No on trips, yes with ultrawide 2560/1080 and below.

Hey guys, this thread doesn’t seem very active, but what do you guys think about this? I can change some things in the future if needed. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-des...inish-in-shadow-black/6285800.p?skuId=6285800

That's a decent deal, capable of a lot including VR.

Back