The WTC 600 in Tokyo done without exploits is genuinely one of the hardest races in single player in gt7 - share your setups, tips, and cars

• Thread starter The_It_Jojo
  • 2,460 comments
Can easily cheese Tokyo.

I just added fully custom racing transmission and equipped Racing Intermediates.

Kept it naturally-aspirated. I'm sure this can be done way faster since you can add turbo kits on the car.

18674721b5495-screenshotUrl.jpg

Ugh, finally beat this miserable slog of a race.

Used the 'fully cheated up FD RX7 with a 787B motor' method on a no-stop. By the last lap my rear tires were completely gone and I only beat Kokobun in his RX7 by about 4 tenths.

But 4 tenths is as good as four miles and I'm never running this ****** race again.

Used the 'fully cheated up FD RX7 with a 787B motor' method on a no-stop. By the last lap my rear tires were completely gone and I only beat Kokobun in his RX7 by about 4 tenths.

But 4 tenths is as good as four miles and I'm never running this ****** race again.
Ask any racer. Any real racer. It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning.

LOL soooo many cars can win this race. Not that hard

I just stumbled upon a glitch for the 901 Carrera RS '73 (911 that's in the LCD right now)

On a fully maxed-out 901 (literally everything; all weight reductions, all permanent engine upgrades, race muffler/filter/manifold, racing brakes/pads, racing clutch/flywheel, racing Intercooler, increased body rigidity, wide-body) wearing Race Hards with a Medium Turbo, it goes from 658.98pp on my Sarthe tune to 587.50pp by adding 191 ballast at -39 (towards the front) for a 2458lb car with a 48:52 weight distro, with 383hp/284ft lb torque. I have the front splitter added, but the downforce is set to 0 so not having it should be the same thing.

I've not been able to get it to work with other tires yet, nor have I gotten it to work with the high rpm turbo, but I believe the "break-point" is in here for the high-rpm turbo, it's just pairing it with the right tires. I literally just discovered this a few minutes while trying to make a bespoke tune for Tokyo so more may be found in time.

Just now heading out to see how it performs. Top-speed might be an issue so it may not be a viable car, but once it dries up it should be able to make great time through the twisty sections given it's on race hards. If there's a way to get it to work with high-rpm turbo and race mediums it may be a very good choice, who knows. I'll report back once I know how it performs.

Not sure yet which is the best tune for the RA272 at Tokyo. But adding the high rpm turbo and a lot of ballast certainly made it a bit of a rocket 🔥 A bit scruffy in the corners though, with sports hards. But top speed at the end of main straight was 340+ km/h with the race transmission.

I think I managed a race time of 26.45 or so. Easy no stopper, you don't even use 60% of fuel since the car is so lightweight. Rear tires wore down plenty, so you had to be careful last 2 laps, even though the tires technically could do 2 more laps. Hard difficulty AI had no chance.

Last edited:
Update on the 901:

It tops at about 182mph, it doesn't break 170mph until you've gotten on top of the ridge on the last 3rd of the straight. So it keeps up with most traffic, can't keep up with the rabbits. On lap 5 onward I was able to run about 2:09's, but was also bumping into walls every other turn, so if the suspension were squared-away 2:05's might be possible.

Still cannot find a way to get Race Mediums/Softs/Inters to induce the PP "break", nor can I find any setting that allows the high-rpm turbo to be used. That little bit of power gain might give it a better top speed, but it's not going to make it DP100 or Alpine glitch levels of fast anyway.

Essentially it allows the 901 to run the race and grab a W whereas if it were on Sports tires I don't know if that would be a possibility.

So TL;DR: Might be worth investigating further for hardcore Porsche fans, but it's not going to be putting up 25min or lower times. It's a fun car to run though, so there's that. Back to playing with the RA272...

Last edited:
Not sure yet which is the best tune for the RA272 at Tokyo. But adding the high rpm turbo and a lot of ballast certainly made it a bit of a rocket 🔥 A bit scruffy in the corners though, with sports hards. But top speed at the end of main straight was 340+ km/h with the race transmission.

I think I managed a race time of 26.45 or so. Easy no stopper, you don't even use 60% of fuel since the car is so lightweight. Rear tires wore down plenty, so you had to be careful last 2 laps, even though the tires technically could do 2 more laps. Hard difficulty AI had no chance.
Interesting. I ran it yesterday using a suggestion of someone else on the forum and just took the stock model fitted with SS tires. I was significantly slower than you, so I think I'll try it with the turbo and SH tires.

Should be fun to run this race in PSVR2! :)

Interesting. I ran it yesterday using a suggestion of someone else on the forum and just took the stock model fitted with SS tires. I was significantly slower than you, so I think I'll try it with the turbo and SH tires.

Should be fun to run this race in PSVR2! :)
Yeah, I did a 4 lap test run with this setup and then compared it to a 4 lap test run with a sport mediums setup, the amount of horsepower I lost for slightly better grip on the sports medium wasn't worth it. So went with the powerbuild.

I think it is like with some other cars at Tokyo, either racing intermediates to be fast early on in the race, and fast enough in the dry too (tires should last 12 laps with RA272 I think? Less power also means less tire wear). Or then do a powerbuild with sports hards. This car needs aero, to be viable on better tires.

Gonna try out Le Mans WTC700 race today with RA272, such a fun car 👌

I like the RA272 best with IMs, racing gearbox and otherwise bone stock. Just feels a bit sacrilegious to tune this when it's so fast as it is. There is a bit of a tendency for snappiness with sharp braking, but very manageable so don't really want to tune it out.

Turbo and ballast seem a bit quicker and might improve more with tuning suspension and LSD, but the forementioned setting is already running 26:45 with relative ease.

In VR, this can only be seen as a grind in the same way how being married to a supermodel might get a bit meh eventually :D

Last edited:
I like the RA272 best with IMs, racing gearbox and otherwise bone stock. Just feels a bit sacrilegious to tune this when it's so fast as it is. There is a bit of a tendency for snappiness with sharp braking, but very manageable so don't really want to tune it out.

Turbo and ballast seem a bit quicker and might improve more with tuning suspension and LSD, but the forementioned setting is already running 26:45 with relative ease.

In VR, this can only be seen as a grind in the same way how being married to a supermodel might get a bit meh eventually :D
I am gonna try an IM setup too, but I just don't want to be a snail on the straights though, because you will need to make up the time lost in corners then. I've had my best times with sports hards and power most of the time, using a few other cars. But my Countach 88' I managed to make work with intermediates too, 7-5 was the strat to make sure, that the tires can do a one stopper. Since tires were almost fully dead towards the end of each stint.

Last edited:
I am gonna try an IM setup too, but I just don't want to be a snail on the straights though, because you will need to make up the time lost in corners then. I've had my best times with sports hards and power most of the time, using a few other cars. But my Countach 88' I managed to make work with intermediates too, 7-5 was the strat to make sure, that the tires can do a one stopper. Since tires were almost fully dead towards the end of each stint.
In general, I'm all for SH, ballast and power myself, but this one I just love keeping it light, nimble and reactive. First few laps you have to play slalom with the traffic, but it keeps up with the Porsche and WRXs on the main straight as long as you get the draft from the hairpin. Again, in VR it's just hilarious how low you are compared to even the Lambo 😮 Not the best way to ensure CRB though.

I'm gonna try using the RA272 for this WTC race as well. What tuning parts do I need to buy to upgrade this to where I will win? My best record here is a mere 3rd. 220,000 is still a lot but I would love to win the bigger prize(550,000) and maybe get the clean race bonus. 12 laps should be a breeze using this hot rod!

I'm gonna try using the RA272 for this WTC race as well. What tuning parts do I need to buy to upgrade this to where I will win? My best record here is a mere 3rd. 220,000 is still a lot but I would love to win the bigger prize(550,000) and maybe get the clean race bonus. 12 laps should be a breeze using this hot rod!
Well for intermediate tires setup you need the tires themself, race transmission, and also ballast and power restrictor. For sports hard setup buy everything above, but swap the above regarding tires. And I would recommend buying a high rpm turbo for this setup, RA272 is easier to control in corners, when turbo only kicks in at high rpm imo. Not sure what difficulty you run, but that can be possibly adjusted to easier, so that the AI is slower.

Last edited:

OK, @samppa_944 I think you're the winner. Threw SH tires and Medium RPM Turbo on the RA272 and had nearly the same experience as you.

What a blast!! Made a few changes to LSD to tame the handling with the SH and the wet pavement and got a 26:40. Really enjoyed throwing it around the track. My favorite was lap 9 when the track was starting to dry out and before I had to be more careful with the tire wear.

I highly recommend this to anyone, especially in VR!

(BTW, my Mom is Finnish. Grandparents came over in 1914. Sisu!)

Attachments

• tokyo_ra272.jpg
    tokyo_ra272.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 9
In general, I'm all for SH, ballast and power myself, but this one I just love keeping it light, nimble and reactive. First few laps you have to play slalom with the traffic, but it keeps up with the Porsche and WRXs on the main straight as long as you get the draft from the hairpin. Again, in VR it's just hilarious how low you are compared to even the Lambo 😮 Not the best way to ensure CRB though.
I'm walking back from this a bit. IMs, high RPM turbo and ballast make the Honda a sweetheart. Only had a single try with this setup, but it was about as easy to drive as any car I've tried. Ballast in the front takes care of the tendency to oversteer on heavy braking and also balances the tire wear almost entirely between the front and back. So one doesn't have to worry about either fuel or tires here. Just drive. It was so easy that I don't think I'm gonna bother tuning the suspension or LSD at all. Beautiful machine.

RA272.png

I'm walking back from this a bit. IMs, high RPM turbo and ballast make the Honda a sweetheart. Only had a single try with this setup, but it was about as easy to drive as any car I've tried. Ballast in the front takes care of the tendency to oversteer on heavy braking and also balances the tire wear almost entirely between the front and back. So one doesn't have to worry about either fuel or tires here. Just drive. It was so easy that I don't think I'm gonna bother tuning the suspension or LSD at all. Beautiful machine.

View attachment 1234205
Interesting. I've not tried this race with IMs. I'll give your tune a go later and report back :)

View attachment 1234205
Well balanced car. Enjoyable to drive.
Thanks

M

Audi Sport Quattro S1 '87- 600 PP - Sport Hard Tires - Tokyo Rain event - 1.27
My money maker , very fast and great driving pleasure for any kind of driver any level.
View attachment 1233895
Okay. Gave this car a try tonight. It's great on the back side of the track; Probably the fastest I've driven, but its straight line speed is terrible. 176-179mph on the main straight is not enough speed to pass anyone or keep them behind you. It's way too risky trying to pass the other cars on the backside of the track, so the main straight is where you gain all your positions and get open road ahead of you on the back. I keep trading positions with the GT-R through the hairpin only to have it zip by me into the braking zone of turn 1, then have to hold back behind it all on the back side only to pass it on the hair pin and repeat the process. This last race I did I was on lap 5 only to have him pass me right before the braking zone of turn 1. He cuts right in front of me a brake checks me causing a rear end collision. Goodbye clean race bonus.

Im sure this could be a good car for a track with a shorter main straight, but for this race I'm going to either stick with the Celica or the WRX.

View attachment 1234205
So, I promised I would report back.

This is truly a great tune! I think you're totally right, the ballast was the trick. The car is now perfectly balanced!

Had a blast running this on Tokyo, but if any of you want to have some extra fun after that, do what I did.

Swap out the IM tires for RH tires and just run some laps on Mount Panorama. The responsiveness is off the charts and so much fun. Bonus points if you have VR.

Now I'm really curious where the sweet spot is for the ballast and power if we aren't worried about a pp limit. I see some experimentation in my future.

So, I promised I would report back.

This is truly a great tune! I think you're totally right, the ballast was the trick. The car is now perfectly balanced!

Had a blast running this on Tokyo, but if any of you want to have some extra fun after that, do what I did.

Swap out the IM tires for RH tires and just run some laps on Mount Panorama. The responsiveness is off the charts and so much fun. Bonus points if you have VR.

Now I'm really curious where the sweet spot is for the ballast and power if we aren't worried about a pp limit. I see some experimentation in my future.
Tried this one around Tokyo. It's okay. I mean, it wins the race fairly easily but it's not very exciting to drive. It kind of plows through the turns. I would imagine some suspension adjustments could make this car a bit more exciting to drive.

I have found the WRX to be the most fun for me to drive around. Not the fastest (for me that is the Celica) but it can do some really nice controlled slides around the back side of the track. My fastest with it is a 26:42.137 with a fastest lap of 2:07.164. Check out @engrmariano tune for it. Post #1553

Racing Transmission + upping roll bar + sports medium tires = clean race bonus and a car that isn't too difficult to turn with but is still very fast in the straights. I'd use the new Honda again.

The porsche is one of the best cars to drive that i've tried one here. Without even wall riding. The supra is so hard to drive but I did a sub 25 min race.
Is there a trick to this Cayman setup? I applied all the same parts and ballast and positioning and it came out at 600.32 PP. The PP calculation does appear to be uh... "weird" about the ballast, shifting it around causes un-intuitive changes to PP and sometimes adding more can increase the PP of the car? :confused:

Like if I have 31 kg ballast at -8, it comes out to 600.06. If I add a kg, it goes to 600.82 PP. :dunce:

Back