The Xbox One Thread - One X & One SXBOne 

• Thread starter Robin
  • 5,072 comments
Even if you have auto updates on (aka Always On mode), you can do a full shut down of your console by holding down the power button and proceeding to disconnect it from mains.

Edit: Can anyone tell me why the brick turns white before going to amber when you plug it in?

Am I supposed to wait until it turns amber? Also, after shutdown, it takes a while to go back to amber; should I wait until it turns amber before disconnecting from mains?

I ask because I don't leave it on. Always do a full power-up/shutdown.

At that point, whats the reason for even leaving auto update on if your going to hard reset and unplug the console every single time. There's no need for you to hard reset your Xbox when turning it off, just press it, don't hold it. I'm sure that's essentially the same as holding down the power on your PC and force shutting it down.

For your question, I'm not sure. I dont remove the power from the outlet.
I agree. I would not keep disconnecting your cord over and over again. That will 100% guaranteed wear out that connection. If you have "auto on" turned off, then when you turn off your X1, it is off.

To turn it off you have 3 options.
1. Hold the center button on your controller for a couple seconds to turn it off
2. Press the button on your X1 to turn it off
3. Say "Xbox turn off"....."Yes". And it will turn off. If you have Kinect. (This is what I do)

You should not be unplugging or re-plugging anything. That's only going to wear out that connection extremely fast.

Last edited:
I agree. I would not keep disconnecting your cord over and over again. That will 100% guaranteed wear out that connection. If you have "auto on" turned off, then when you turn off your X1, it is off.

To turn it off you have 3 options.
1. Hold the center button on your controller for a couple seconds to turn it off
2. Press the button on your X1 to turn it off
3. Say "Xbox turn off"....."Yes". And it will turn off. If you have Kinect. (This is what I do)

You should not be unplugging or re-plugging anything. That's only going to wear out that connection extremely fast.

Ah, let me elaborate more: what you people call over there "disconnecting from mains", here, that simply means turning the voltage stabilizer or main power source off, as in, switching it off. That's it.

I have mine connected to a voltage stabilizer/regulator, so when I switch off the stabilizer, the amber light turns off. That's pretty much it.

And this is news to me: simply tapping it turns it off completely when you have Energy Saving mode on?

I know it may sound strange or a bit silly, but I always shut down the console through the hard reset method (holding down power for 4 secs) to clear the cache up and have games loading quicker and running smoothly. haven't had the FM5 static sound bug in a while as a result (God I hope I just didn't jinx it).

BTW, we still don't know why the power button blinks 13 to 14 times when you shut it down with the controller.

Anyone?

Ah, let me elaborate more: what you people call over there "disconnecting from mains", here, that simply means turning the voltage stabilizer or main power source off, as in, switching it off. That's it.

I have mine connected to a voltage stabilizer/regulator, so when I switch off the stabilizer, the amber light turns off. That's pretty much it.

And this is news to me: simply tapping it turns it off completely when you have Energy Saving mode on?

I know it may sound strange or a bit silly, but I always shut down the console through the hard reset method (holding down power for 4 secs) to clear the cache up and have games loading quicker and running smoothly. haven't had the FM5 static sound bug in a while as a result (God I hope I just didn't jinx it).

BTW, we still don't know why the power button blinks 13 to 14 times when you shut it down with the controller.

Anyone?
Ok that's not so bad if you are just turning off the power to the X1. Glad you cleared that up.

Yes pretty sure just tapping the button on the X1 turns it off after a few seconds. I usually turn it off with the Kinect so I haven't turned it off with the X1 in a long time.

The F5 sound bug I thought you resolved by turning down the in game master volume? I still haven't tried that with F5 yet.

No I don't know why it blinks 13-14 times but mine does that too. Its probably allowing itself time to close down all aps and properly shut down the X1. Just like a PC.

Force shut down on the console does not clear your cache. The only way to do that is to clear local game saves.

Yes, just a simple tap to the logo will shut it down. Or holding the Xbox button on the control, and selecting console off.

Also, my controller doesn't blink like that when shutting down. Is that when you remove it's power source, or when you force shut down?

I wasn't even aware that it's called a "forced shutdown" until now. I'm going to now just tap the power button to switch it off.

But I'm curious: if I clear local game saves just to clear the cache up, I would have to go online EVERY time and get my games to sync for a few minutes before I can play, since I usually play offline.

As for the blinking: if you shut down from the controller, the console blinks a few times. If you shut it down from the console, the controller will blink a few times.

So I guess the blinking is good, as in, a full/proper shutdown.

MS really should have packed a detailed instruction manual with their console.

Edit: downloaded a 7 GB Bluray movie w/DTS sound in MKV format today (takes at least a few hours), only to find out the format is not supported. WTF?! I'm pretty sure I've played .mkv clips and full videos before.*error code 0x00d5212*

What format does the X1's media player not support?

I wasn't even aware that it's called a "forced shutdown" until now. I'm going to now just tap the power button to switch it off.

But I'm curious: if I clear local game saves just to clear the cache up, I would have to go online EVERY time and get my games to sync for a few minutes before I can play, since I usually play offline.
Yes, that is correct. It's exactly the same when you clear your cache's online, you have to re log in to every website that you you were previously logged into. It wouldn't have to be everytime you want to play though, only after the initial clearing of the cache. I do that only once every few months.

As for the blinking: if you shut down from the controller, the console blinks a few times. If you shut it down from the console, the controller will blink a few times.

So I guess the blinking is good, as in, a full/proper shutdown.
Ah yeah mine does blink about 2-3 times. When you said 14 it just sounded odd really :lol:

Edit: downloaded a 7 GB Bluray movie w/DTS sound in MKV format today (takes at least a few hours), only to find out the format is not supported. WTF?! I'm pretty sure I've played .mkv clips and full videos before.*error code 0x00d5212*

What format does the X1's media player not support?
That should actually be supported, so thats odd. You should take it up with tech support.

Here is a list of the supported file types.

Yes, that is correct. It's exactly the same when you clear your cache's online, you have to re log in to every website that you you were previously logged into. It wouldn't have to be everytime you want to play though, only after the initial clearing of the cache. I do that only once every few months.

Ah yeah mine does blink about 2-3 times. When you said 14 it just sounded odd really :lol:

That should actually be supported, so thats odd. You should take it up with tech support.

Yeah, it does sound odd when you think to yourself "why 13 times" ...?! But it does that only when you switch off from the controller (if Energy Saving is on). Try to power down with the controller, you'll see the same blinking sequence.

Thanks for the list 👍; Matroska (aka .mkv) files are indeed supported. As I said, I have downloaded and watched movies in .mkv format on my X1 previously so I don't know why this one gave an error. Maybe because it had DTS sound? Mehh... I don't know.

Just grand waste of time, because the file was running fine on my PC. Ended up deleting it and downloading a 1.85 GB mp4 version of the movie just to play it off the X1.. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

UNBELIEVABLE!

I download another movie in MKV format and the X1 doesn't support it. Will someone tell me what the s*** is going on here?

I swear I've played MKV files just days ago!!

What's the problem here? Are there SOME mkv files supported, while others are not? If it contains DD 5 or DTS, it won't play correctly? It plays fine on my PC.

I don't want to download the movie again just to watch it on the X1. :mad:

:irked:

UNBELIEVABLE!

I download another movie in MKV format and the X1 doesn't support it. Will someone tell me what the s*** is going on here?

I swear I've played MKV files just days ago!!

What's the problem here? Are there SOME mkv files supported, while others are not? If it contains DD 5 or DTS, it won't play correctly? It plays fine on my PC.

I don't want to download the movie again just to watch it on the X1. :mad:

:irked:
You dont seem to like contacting support, do you? At this point, your guess is as good as ours. Its a supported file type, so if you keep getting an error, just present that error code to tech support and see what they say.

You dont seem to like contacting support, do you? At this point, your guess is as good as ours. Its a supported file type, so if you keep getting an error, just present that error code to tech support and see what they say.

Thanks for assuming I didn't.

I submitted a message the first time I encountered that error a few days back. No response.

If you look at the supported file types page, you'll see the X1 doesn't support Matroska files with certain audio/video codecs.

For instance, it does not support DTS or DD 5.1, only AC3. Even though the file I downloaded was in the x264 codec, it probably had DTS or some other incompatibility issue.

THis is something MS is not willing to address ATM.

Guess I will just have to stick to downloading MKVs with AC3 sound or other formats altogether.

What a grand waste of time. Thank you MS. Matroska is only the most common and popular video format these days, so we're not missing out on much really....

I assumed you didnt because in the past you seemed to try avoiding the fact even though we told you about 20 times. You never stated otherwise so i assumed you ignored it again. Why would you send a support ticket when you can live chat or phone in for an instant response?

Still, I haven't seen anything stating that only certain MKV are allowed.

Like I said though, live chat or phoning is your best option.

Whatever.

MKVs are not supported under DTS and DD 5.1 audio codecs.

Says on the site. No need to contact support.

Just saw an 8 GB AC3/1080p Bluray MKV today, and it was brilliant.

I do not own an XBOX ONE but my brother does and I found out yesterday (while the internet was out as we were moving house) you cannot play it without an internet connection. What is up with this? I mean, I can play my PS4 without internet perfectly fine but not XBOX? Don't get why this is.

I do not own an XBOX ONE but my brother does and I found out yesterday (while the internet was out as we were moving house) you cannot play it without an internet connection. What is up with this? I mean, I can play my PS4 without internet perfectly fine but not XBOX? Don't get why this is.
Depends on the game. Some can be played offline, some cant. I don't even think Destiny can played on the PS4 unless you have an internet connection. So its not just the X1.

Depends on the game. Some can be played offline, some cant. I don't even think Destiny can played on the PS4 unless you have an internet connection. So its not just the X1.
Really? He tried playing WWE2K15, had to be online, GTAV, had to be online, FIFA 15, had to be online.

Put in Destiny on the PS4 and see if you can play that offline. Yes I agree its pointless.
But the only games on PS4 you need to be online for are the ones designed for online play, don't get why WWE, GTA and Fifa you need to be connected to play.

Ok that's not so bad if you are just turning off the power to the X1. Glad you cleared that up.

Yes pretty sure just tapping the button on the X1 turns it off after a few seconds. I usually turn it off with the Kinect so I haven't turned it off with the X1 in a long time.

The F5 sound bug I thought you resolved by turning down the in game master volume? I still haven't tried that with F5 yet.

No I don't know why it blinks 13-14 times but mine does that too. Its probably allowing itself time to close down all aps and properly shut down the X1. Just like a PC.

The sound bug is unaffected bu in-game volume. I've had my game volume at 100% and it hasn't happened even after hours of play. I think it MAY have to do with a particular combination of cars and track.. mehh, I don't know.

Just clear Persistent Storage before shutting down your console (I'm assuming you're doing a FULL shut down), clear Alternate Mac Address if you've been online and that's it. Make sure you got no apps running in the background or anything downloading while playing FM5, you should be set.

Oh and yeah, make sure the console's always running cool - your room temp should be around 25 Deg C or less. Elevate your console by half an inch or more to allow air to pass around freely not just through your console but around it. As with the X360, I have the same portable pedestal fan blowing in cool air from the left.

Oh and yeah, one thing you don't wanna do is hold the power butting down, as @ImaRobot mentioned; no need to force shut down the console as it's only for emergencies.. console not responding and/or freezing etc.

Okay, one question:

Why would I need to clear the cache aka clear local saved games once every few months? Can't I just do without it?

Yeah, only reason I ever considered it was Forza. But now that PCars is out I have no desire to buy an XB1. Sooner GT7 is out, the better.

Man, you are missing out BIG time, I assure you! No driving/car nut deserves to miss out on Forza. Enough said. Just get it already!

The sound bug is unaffected bu in-game volume. I've had my game volume at 100% and it hasn't happened even after hours of play. I think it MAY have to do with a particular combination of cars and track.. mehh, I don't know.

Just clear Persistent Storage before shutting down your console (I'm assuming you're doing a FULL shut down), clear Alternate Mac Address if you've been online and that's it. Make sure you got no apps running in the background or anything downloading while playing FM5, you should be set.

Oh and yeah, make sure the console's always running cool - your room temp should be around 25 Deg C or less. Elevate your console by half an inch or more to allow air to pass around freely not just through your console but around it. As with the X360, I have the same portable pedestal fan blowing in cool air from the left.

Oh and yeah, one thing you don't wanna do is hold the power butting down, as @ImaRobot mentioned; no need to force shut down the console as it's only for emergencies.. console not responding and/or freezing etc.

Okay, one question:

Why would I need to clear the cache aka clear local saved games once every few months? Can't I just do without it?

Man, you are missing out BIG time, I assure you! No driving/car nut deserves to miss out on Forza. Enough said. Just get it already!
I know but I've played Forza 3 and 4 so I have already experienced it. No point paying £500 for one game.

I know but I've played Forza 3 and 4 so I have already experienced it. No point paying £500 for one game.

I want to say this out aloud on a megaphone:

FORZA 5 is a major improvement in terms of physics and visuals, while audio is a mixed bag though still better than 4 overall.

You really need to check out The Ring, one of the best versions depicted in a game. Not to mention the other tracks, which are very accurate this time around.

500 quids for an X1?? Jeeeez! I thought the price had dropped all the way to 350, even for you UK guys.

And there's Horizon 2 as well. You will not regret purchasing either game. This is coming from a long time Forza fan who used to be a GT fan!

If you've enjoyed their games since FM2, you definitely want to check out FM5 and see what 6 brings.

I want to say this out aloud on a megaphone:

FORZA 5 is a major improvement in terms of physics and visuals, while audio is a mixed bag though still better than 4 overall.

You really need to check out The Ring, one of the best versions depicted in a game. Not to mention the other tracks, which are very accurate this time around.

500 quids for an X1?? Jeeeez! I thought the price had dropped all the way to 350, even for you UK guys.

And there's Horizon 2 as well. You will not regret purchasing either game. This is coming from a long time Forza fan who used to be a GT fan!

If you've enjoyed their games since FM2, you definitely want to check out FM5 and see what 6 brings.
I am not paying over £200 just to play 1 or 2 games, makes no sense. I'd rather buy a 360 for FM1-4.

Okay, one question:

Its personal choice really. I do it on my computer's as well, but just to keep it fresh and clear out all temp files and what not.

You've played two different games on old hardware, so you've already experienced the next Gen Forza? ok. Although thats a good point, no one should pay that much for one game, ever. I usually buy mine for about $60.

I am not paying over £200 just to play 1 or 2 games, makes no sense. I'd rather buy a 360 for FM1-4.
For Forza 2-4* :P

Its personal choice really. I do it on my computer's as well, but just to keep it fresh and clear out all temp files and what not.

You've played two different games on old hardware, so you've already experienced the next Gen Forza? ok. Although thats a good point, no one should pay that much for one game, ever. I usually buy mine for about $60.

For Forza 2-4* :P
I also played the F&F FH2 on my brothers XB1 as well. And still, Forza 2-4 (including Horizon 1/2) is a lot better than just FM5 an FH2.

I also played the F&F FH2 on my brothers XB1 as well. And still, Forza 2-4 (including Horizon 1/2) is a lot better than just FM5 an FH2.
I agree with Forza 4 being a good game, the past iterations are good to play but 4 is pretty much an accumulation of all of those. Horizon 2 is absolutely butchered on the 360, so I wouldn't really use that one. I would say it's about pretty even, except one of the generations is just massively cheaper.

I agree with Forza 4 being a good game, the past iterations are good to play but 4 is pretty much an accumulation of all of those. Horizon 2 is absolutely butchered on the 360, so I wouldn't really use that one. I would say it's about pretty even, except one of the generations is just massively cheaper.
I have played FM4 extensively and was disappointed when I heard FM5 would have a massively reduced car list, and then have those same cars as full priced DLC (all for tiny details very few people will likely notice!). One of the main reasons I steered clear from it.

I have played FM4 extensively and was disappointed when I heard FM5 would have a massively reduced car list, and then have those same cars as full priced DLC (all for tiny details very few people will likely notice!). One of the main reasons I steered clear from it.
I for one am glad that they took this approach. Update everything, and keep everything fresh. Try to uphold at least a certain level of quality. Try their best to bring the most out of this next gen hardware, and they are doing a damn good job so far. Still, you dont get to decide what people do or don't notice.

I dont mind the cars from FM4 being paid DLC for FM5, thats at least understandable to an extent. What would upset me is paying for cars that where in FM5, in FH2.

Back