There should be a way to “test drive” cars, especially legendary cars

I have a more interesting suggestion for the OP, whilst a Test Drive feature is probably too difficult for PD to grasp/implement how about they make those invitations we get to buy cars from the dealership include an option that we can 'trial' the car before we commit to purchase.

OK it would not cover every possible car in the game since only a handful are in the select invite list but you could at least get some experience.

Also on the point of Selling Cars for no value, hold your horses, Kaz said that feature would come so wait and sell when it does and make some money on the side. That's my plan!

Simple solution.

Polyphony should add an option to make every car in the game available as rental cars in the Arcade Modes (Arcade Race, Time Trial, Drift Trial and Custom Race) and Two-Player Battles.

If you want to go on and test out any car you like from the get-go, they should follow Forza's principle of doing so where every car in the game is immediately accessible as a rental car, with all their default colors, and set-up tuning wherever possible based on the car's default tune with no upgrades (similar to the Xbox 360-era Forza titles).

Back then, in GT4, you started off with 240 rental cars, roughly a third of the game's total car count, then you'd go on to unlock all the rest by acquiring them at least once in the GT mode. Polyphony can do something similar to that, but as far as it goes with the lineup of cars in the Used Car Dealership and Legendary Car Dealership rotating in real-time, based on the server, I don't think that's sustainable.

It's not my kind of fun
So what? That's a subjective statement.

You stated that "You can't earn any money". That's an objective statement. It's also wrong, because you can.

Whether you enjoy it or not isn't relevant to the fact.

Exactly, no update.
This is also an incorrect objective statement. You stated that the "April patch never came" and when pressed clarified that "The patch with some content. Never came.". Two patches came in April, one with new races and one with a new track layout and three new cars and some new races.

Stop posting absolute bollocks.

Perhaps a solution would be if they implimented a new low-level prize of an 'invite to test' in a similar vein to the 'invites to buy' prizes?

It gives you, say, three oppotunities to test the given car over maybe 10 laps so you can try it on different circuits/conditions before you commit your hard-grinded credits.

So what? That's a subjective statement.

You stated that "You can't earn any money". That's an objective statement. It's also wrong, because you can.

This is also an incorrect objective statement. You stated that the "April patch never came" and when pressed clarified that "The patch with some content. Never came.". Two patches came in April, one with new races and one with a new track layout and three new cars and some new races.

Stop posting absolute bollocks.
That means there are some people who like it. Metacritic says otherwise. But OK, I can understand small minority can like it.

You can't by normal racing.

Yes, enjoyment is very subjective but most popular games are similar. GT was good series in the past.

Kaz said he cares about players and will fix it. It never happened.

Kaz lied, that's a fact.

It's called discussion.

It's called discussion.
No. Posting things that aren't true but pretending that they are because you don't like them is called lying.

You cannot state that the April update with content never came, because it did. You cannot state that you "can't earn any money", because - as of the April update - you can*

You did both of those things. You lied. This is not up for debate: stop posting absolute bollocks.

*You could anyway, just rather slowly; the April updates introduced quicker ways as well as rewarding Circuit Experience to the tune of 47 million credits

Back to OP's question, I realized that by adding the ability to use loan cars for daily races, you can test drive them when the dailies for them are available. So that means you can test drive the Alfa 155 in Gr.4 dailies or McLaren F1 GTR in Gr.3 dailies.

Although it is limited, it is there, sorta.

"Limited" and "sort of" are often used in sentences that describe GT's features:)
I prefer the term 'half-baked' - one of the GT series' consistant flaws. Although these days i just think of them as charming idiosyncrasies.

Simple solution.

Polyphony should add an option to make every car in the game available as rental cars in the Arcade Modes (Arcade Race, Time Trial, Drift Trial and Custom Race) and Two-Player Battles.

If you want to go on and test out any car you like from the get-go, they should follow Forza's principle of doing so where every car in the game is immediately accessible as a rental car, with all their default colors, and set-up tuning wherever possible based on the car's default tune with no upgrades (similar to the Xbox 360-era Forza titles).

Back then, in GT4, you started off with 240 rental cars, roughly a third of the game's total car count, then you'd go on to unlock all the rest by acquiring them at least once in the GT mode. Polyphony can do something similar to that, but as far as it goes with the lineup of cars in the Used Car Dealership and Legendary Car Dealership rotating in real-time, based on the server, I don't think that's sustainable.
No to an option to have all cars available in Arcade Modes (Arcade Race, Time Trial, Drift Trial and Custom Race) and Two-Player Battles. A handful of cars is the way to go, and not all cars is a kind of lame idea.
You talked about Forza, Forza is a FREE ROAM game a Gran Turismo is a RACING game, Gran Turismo has race tracks where Forza you drive on roads.

This idea of having test drive cars in a Gran Turismo before you buy is really an absolutely very a bad idea, because GT games have race tracks and that means you race on them. If you really want to test drive a car do what real life people do, test drive the car on road before you buy.

CBH
No to an option to have all cars available in Arcade Modes (Arcade Race, Time Trial, Drift Trial and Custom Race) and Two-Player Battles. A handful of cars is the way to go, and not all cars is a kind of lame idea.
I'm fairly positive @Famine confirmed in response to me once that a previous GT title did open all the cars in its Arcade Mode before.
CBH
You talked about Forza, Forza is a FREE ROAM game a Gran Turismo is a RACING game, Gran Turismo has race tracks where Forza you drive on roads.
The Rental option he's referring to is specifically in the Motorsport games. Ya know, the title that got 6 sequels & is strictly track-only?
CBH
This idea of having test drive cars in a Gran Turismo before you buy is really an absolutely very a bad idea, because GT games have race tracks and that means you race on them. If you really want to test drive a car do what real life people do, test drive the car on road before you buy.
This is an absolutely very bad, stupid take.

Outside the obviously huge holes in this argument of, "This game has race tracks, only race track stuff applies" in regards to GT, being able to test drive a car on a race track is not some foreign concept. What on earth do you think sports car experiences are basically compromised of?

CBH

Or you can just drive cars on a race track.

I guess you can change your username but your circular "this thing is bad because it's bad" logic will never change.

Last edited:
Someone here doesn't know the difference between Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon.

I can't deal with the rest he wrote.

Face Palm No GIF

Got some bad news for you, you 100% can test drive race cars before you buy them.
On top of that I've been at The Bend Motorsport Park when the new at the time Renault Megane RS (it was actually three of them) was being flogged around the track by journo's and prospective buyers, so it's not even just race cars that can be test driven on the track.

Last edited:
CBH
I mentioned Forza Motorsport, not Forza Horizon. They're two different games entirely. Motorsport is more in line with the Gran Turismo games, while Horizon is free roam. In the Horizon titles, you can't rent cars (except maybe in some online modes).

The Motorsport titles give you an option in their Free Play modes to drive any out of all the cars in the game as rental cars, to either jump in on the action, or to try out cars before you buy them. That being said, you can still use cars from your garage too.

But you have to realize that they are rental cars, meaning that there are restrictions such as only being able to choose from car-specific official colors, and tuning based on the car's default set-up, completely stock (you can't upgrade and/or customize rental cars). But with these cars, you don't have to worry about performance degradation.

It sounds like you want people to grind so tediously to get cars (as if it wasn't bad enough already, efforts were made to increase credits payouts, but it's not simply enough, although they're working on it). Another is that the Used and Legendary Car Dealerships' lineup of cars rotates slowly in real-time, based on the in-game servers, as opposed to the "in-game days" of past titles (a focus on always-online DRM sucks, I know).

Having only a handful of cars and the rest don't get unlocked, or that not all the cars are available in the Arcade Modes is pretty lame and promotes excessive grinding, and it's been going on since GT5. The original post mentioned that there should be a way to test drive cars, and that this is the best solution.
CBH
Seriously now?

CBH
Tell me you have literally no idea what you're talking about without actually telling me.
CBH

More absolutely toilet takes with irredeemably dumb circular logic. "This is bad because it's bad so it's bad" isn't any kind of reasoning at all.
I'm fairly positive @Famine confirmed in response to me once that a previous GT title did open all the cars in its Arcade Mode before.
GT used to be much more generous with Arcade Mode cars for sure.

Several GT games have had smallish Arcade Mode car lists, but you could unlock more over time. About a quarter of the road cars in GT1 were eventually available in Arcade Mode, GT2 had a total of 60 available cars, and about a third of GT3's entire car list was available in Arcade Mode.

GT4 though gave you a couple of hundred right off the bat, and as you acquired others in GT mode they would unlock in Arcade Mode too. I don't recall it being all of them, but if it wasn't it was pretty close to it.

GT Sport gives you eight.

Stop trying to twist my words and nitpick.
1) This is a game.
2) The large majority of production cars are available for test drive in real life.
3) Some exotic cars cannot be driven and sold unless you are a worthy potential buyer.
This very thread is a nitpick.

Yeah, I mean, who ever bought a car irl without test driving it first? Come on "the most complete gt game ever".

Me :D. But was during lock down and knew I'd love it from extensive research and was from BMW garage.

But yes, usually would always test drive.

CBH
Motorsport, not Horizon, and plenty of very, very po-faced and serious sim titles (the majority far more racing focused than GT is) allow you to test drive cars, hell most of them give you access to all the cars from the very start, because they focus only on the racing, with zero car collecting involved. RaceRoom goes even further and allows you to test drive DLC before you buy it!

You can argue which one you prefer until the cows come home, but claiming it's 'correct because GT is a racing title' is demonstrable bollocks.
CBH
You were wrong about this yesterday and you are still wrong about it today.

In reality the vast majority of activity that takes place on a track is not racing, it's test days, driver training, experience days, track days, product launch training, vehicle development, etc. The vast majority of circuits would not survive if they had to solely rely on race events to fund them.

Silverstone from example is holding less than 20 race events this year, and over 100 experience sessions alone this year, so even without track days, driver training, test days, product launch and development sessions, that's more than five times the amount of race events. That's for one of the busiest circuits in the UK, add in the rest and its likely to see a ratio of well over 10:1 non-race to race events, circuits try and book activity every single day if they can, as it maximises revenue and viability.

Also good luck test driving most race cars on the road, that will not end well at all.

The degree of ignorance that you are attempting to use as if it were a source of authority here is staggering.

Last edited:
If you were to go to an Exotic car dealership do you think that they will just let you "Test Drive" their cars
In game terms, I'd just imagine it was your privilege as a reputable racing driver to do so. That Manufacturers gave you the benefit of the doubt. Or if the feature did need some kind of restriction, then what cars you get to test drive could depend on what license you currently have, wherein gaining the S license could allow you to test drive pretty much anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still amazing to read how options, can mean life altering changes to some people. It’s just an option(a good one, in my opinion). Choose to use it or not. Doesn’t hurt the way any one player plays their game.

Still amazing to read how options, can mean life altering changes to some people. It’s just an option(a good one, in my opinion). Choose to use it or not. Doesn’t hurt the way any one player plays their game.
CBH really doesn't like people driving cars for some reason. They have historically always argued strongly against importing cars from past games, because....it's wrong. Why is it wrong? Because it is.

CBH really doesn't like people driving cars for some reason. They have historically always argued strongly against importing cars from past games, because....it's wrong. Why is it wrong? Because it is.
I really like people driving their favourite cars in a racing game anyway but not testing a car before buying it, and it's the one of the stupidest dumb ideas to ever be thought of having it in a racing game. Testing a car before buying has no place to have it in a racing game. You buy that car to use it for a race or test and tune it up, so it suits the track. So if people want testing before buying a car in a Gran Turismo game, guess what people it's never going to happen so just drop the idea, of having to buy a car before buying.

CBH
I really like people driving their favourite cars in a racing game anyway but not testing a car before buying it, and it's the one of the stupidest dumb ideas to ever be thought of having it in a racing game. Testing a car before buying has no place to have it in a racing game. You buy that car to use it for a race or test and tune it up, so it suits the track. So if people want testing before buying a car in a Gran Turismo game, guess what people it's never going to happen so just drop the idea, of having to buy a car before buying.
and that's the bottom line because CBH said so?

Seriously, as usual you provide absolutely no reasoning for your position at all. You just keep making some bizarre reference to tuning and I've no idea why.

CBH
So if people want testing before buying a car in a Gran Turismo game, guess what people it's never going to happen so just drop the idea, of having to buy a car before buying.
Every Gran Turismo game has had an Arcade Mode, allowing you to drive many cars - up to a third of the entire car list in some cases - without ever owning them. In fact so does GT7. Some GT games didn't even have a player garage, so you never owned or bought any cars.

Guess it has happened, repeatedly, across the entire last 25 years of the series... so... you're almost impressively wrong.

CBH
I really like people driving their favourite cars in a racing game anyway but not testing a car before buying it, and it's the one of the stupidest dumb ideas to ever be thought of having it in a racing game.
Explain why it is "one of the stupidest dumb ideas", without at any point referring to the fact that you think it's dumb therefore it's dumb.
CBH
Testing a car before buying has no place to have it in a racing game.
Explain why it "has no place to have it in a racing game", without at any point referring to the fact you don't think it belongs therefore it doesn't.

The lack of this feature is a very glaring omission. I still think this game plays like a '90s game and not a 2022 game, and lacking features such as this is one of many reasons why I retain this opinion. In short, I am in favor of having a test drive function.

I have driven multiple Ferraris, Porsches, BMWs, a Lamborghini, and a NASCAR on a race track.

While a couple of these were through driving school-style programs, you can also pay for various sports car driving experiences. I have done this a lot over the years.

The fact that you cannot do this in a video game with fake digital cars is indefensible…and I adore this game ($70+ million credits spent on cars and counting).

I would even appreciate the opportunity to drive some of the legendary cars I don’t plan on buying for fun…even if it’s a lap that I have to pay X amount of credits for. Perhaps I will be convinced and decide to buy it anyway.

The real life constraints some folks are mentioning shouldn’t apply to a video game, but I hope the beginning of this post will helps folks realize that said constraints are actually looser IRL than they may seem.

Back