TheVerge: Wait for GT7 'unacceptable'

• Thread starter Earth
  • 266 comments
The sense of entitlement is strong in this one:

So here's my challenge to Polyphony and to Sony: get GT7 out by the end of this year. Just do it. If you can't, it may be time for Yamauchi to move on. Don't worry about him, he'll be fine; he owns two Ford GTs.

Pretty sure though, as soon as Kaz gets this challenge, he'll double up the effort on GT7 and it'll be out by year's end.:lol: I should email this guy and tell him to issue a challenge to SMS to fix all the bugs on PCars:embarrassed:

Wow, a ~2 year wait is unacceptable? Really?

I think 2 years is a perfectly acceptable wait for a new iteration. There's no need for GT to be annually released shovelware. And while 90% of assets could certainly be carried over (even if some arguably shouldn't be), 10% of assets (in terms of GT quantity and quality) is still a ton of work for Polyphony.

Just be glad GT isn't on the same release schedule as Persona... P5 drops sometime later this year, while P4 was for the PS2 (albeit released after the PS3 launched). But Persona 5's lookin' killer, so maybe there's something to this whole "let the developers take the time they need to deliver a great product instead of force them to rush it" idea... just saying.

Well, the GT5 engine was torn down to its core and rebuilt for GT6. Or you could read into this that the team stripped down the GT7 engine and ported it to run on PS3. It uses PS4-like tesselation algorithms, if slower and simpler, one might notice.

It's also possible that the team is hard at work modeling a lot of new cars and tracks, as fans have been screaming for both since GT4 days. And these take a fair bit of work, up to two years for a new track. Even loading in legacy tracks will require some effort to get them up to next gen standards. Damage was requested, and they have just recently been working on damage, in contrast to teams like Turn 10 which have been fine tuning their damage build since Forza 1 development, at least a year before release in 2005. That's gonna take some work to make well. Weather and time of day on all tracks will require an overhaul of them. Race mod for all cars, a Livery Editor... there are lots of reasons that a proper Gran Turismo on PS4 is taking a while. If it ends up looking like it's going to be a year or more added wait, we might see something preliminary on PS4 this year. E3 isn't far off, so maybe we'll get some news there, or later this year at any number of opportunities for Kaz to speak.

Again, like annual sports games, 90% of GT's assets can be reused in a sequel, so why does it take so long to come out? Its not a matter of polish, as GT5 was anything but polished

Creating an accurate track model like Pikes Peak or Isle of Man alone is going to take way more time time than all of the modelling work done in other sports games, this isn't even considering cars or other tracks. I'm not seeing any parallels here.

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2015/6/1/8699573/sony-gran-turismo-7-come-on-where-is-it

Again, like annual sports games, 90% of GT's assets can be reused in a sequel, so why does it take so long to come out? Its not a matter of polish, as GT5 was anything but polished

I know most of us want GT7 to be released ASAP. But I do not think there is any need to rush the game. Pcars was just released, F1 2015 is coming soon. There are 2 rally games this year as well. DC is aracde but looks amazing. AC is also announced for PS4.

Last edited:
I gotta say, the fact that someone would write an article like that this early is laughable.

This idiot realizes that GT6 literally just came out a year and a half ago right?

Especially when moving to a new console, PD NEVER releases their games this quickly. Especially not nowadays where all studios are taking longer to make games because the fidelity has increased so much. Even though they can literally reuse all the premiums from GT6, and as long as they have adaptive tessellation, the models will look as good as any, it's still gonna be a long time before GT7 is even teased, let alone released

That entire article sounds like a rant post from the main GT forums. Yuck.

You could say its basically the main GT Forums summed up in one article really.

The sense of entitlement is strong in this one

Exactly what I was thinking when I found that. Just reeks of a massive brat.

Due to the gaps betwee release dates of the Gran Turismo games, I find a 3-4 year wait for another game acceptable.

It didnt use to always be that way.

The first three Gran Turismo games all released within 3 years of each other. Three years!

1998 - GT1
1999 - GT2
2001 - GT3

Then something happened

2004 - GT4
2010 - GT5
2013 - GT6

Kaz blamed the PS3, but what is his excuse now?

9 months after I picked up the Playstation 2 at launch GT3 arrived. Am I to be hated for missing the days of having a brand new GT on a new console in a reasonable time frame? Forza fans are about to get another game on the Xbox One. GT7 is missing in action. How is this a reasonable marketing strategy?

The question is, why does it take so long? Is it the modern AAA obsession with content? I've seen people complaining that 18 tracks is not enough, that 200 cars is not enough. Is this forcing PD to spend extra time modeling cars and tracks when they should be focusing on physics, AI, and gameplay? GT3 had 150 cars and a dozen tracks and its still far and way my favorite Gran Turismo game. Content means nothing if a game is not fresh and fun.

Just think about the racing titles that will beat GT to the PS4

Assetto Corsa
Drive Club
Project Cars

Why does Sony and PD allow this to happen? Why is GT last? And not only last but dead last by a long shot? Literally years behind?

Its not a matter of polish and fixing bugs. Why is PD extending themselves to the breaking point? Why not add one new feature per game instead of trying to throw in the kitchen sink with each installment? The course maker should have been saved for GT7. Maybe even b-spec too. Work with one thing at a time and release it when its finished. Now they're 2 years into the next gen console era and they're building DLC for a 9 year old console. Why? What are they doing?

Now, if GT7 is released Q4 2016 and its the best GT yet, or even just a great game, then I'll happily say I was wrong. However, who can trust them after GT5 and GT6, which was GT5 thrown back into the microwave for 15 seconds?

Again, I hope I'm wrong. The wait for GT4 after GT3 was bearable because GT3 was such a good game and there was no doubts GT4 would be stellar. Now theres very good reason to be anxious about GT7, that another massive wait may be all for nothing.

Wait between GT1 and GT2 = 2 years (it came out in 1997 in Japan)
Wait between GT2 and GT3 = 2 years
Wait between GT3 and GT4 = 4 years
Wait between GT4 and GT5 = 6 years
Wait between GT5 and GT6 = 2 years

So a 2 year wait is unacceptable, based on what exactly? GT doesn't have a specific schedule. GT7 will be out when it's out. I'd rather wait 2 years more for a finished product than a few months for a half-busted one.

Not trying to start a Forza vs GT debate, this is just a comparison between direct rivals to demonstrate how inconsistent GT has been with release dates.

2005 - Forza 1
2 years

2007 - Forza 2
2 years

2009 - Forza 3
2 years

2011 - Forza 4
2 years

2013 - Forza 5
2 years

2015 - Forza 6

GT doesn't have a specific schedule. GT7 will be out when it's out.

If thats the case GT really does live in a fantasy land thats incompatible with the real world.

What business in the world has a schedule that says 'it will be ready when its ready'? I bet some businesses have had that schedule. I also bet they're not around anymore.

Not trying to start a Forza vs GT debate, this is just a comparison between direct rivals to demonstrate how inconsistent GT has been with release dates.

2005 - Forza 1
2 years

2007 - Forza 2
2 years

2009 - Forza 3
2 years

2011 - Forza 4
2 years

2013 - Forza 5
2 years

2015 - Forza 6

If thats the case GT really does live in a fantasy land thats incompatible with the real world.

What business in the world has a schedule that says 'it will be ready when its ready'? I bet some businesses have had that schedule. I also bet they're not around anymore.
Isn't that how every video game ever made works? I don't get the ranting over a release date. GT7 hasn't even been announced yet. I would get it if they said it would be out in 2016 but got delayed but they haven't even said anything about the game itself. Be patient and let PD release a good game.

Isn't that how every video game ever made works? I don't get the ranting over a release date. GT7 hasn't even been announced yet. I would get it if they said it would be out in 2016 but got delayed but they haven't even said anything about the game itself. Be patient and let PD release a good game.

I've been very patient. Bought GT5 day 1, sold it a few months later. Skipped GT6 as I saw little more then content increase and it wasnt a PS4 title. The thing is my patience is running out. Nostalgia is really the only thing still attaching me to the GT series. Its my desire to see the series return to its glory that drives my passion on this subject. But to be honest, like an old ex, I wish I could simply forget GT and move on. Thats proving to be very difficult. But once I build a decent PC and join something like iRacing, I think I'll finally move on.

GT7 doesnt have to blow me away, though given its resources and the experience of the team etc it should, it just has to be a good game again. But I cant condone the new marketing strategy. First it was announce the game, then release it 3 years later. Now its go 3 years without a single chirp, then announce the game 6 months before release. From one extreme to another. Its maddening and bizarre and in no way a proper sustainable business model.

Im guessing the people who dont really care about GT7 info have GT6 and are enjoying it. Thats not the case with me.

Makes me want to laugh at people who complain about the current lack of GT7 on PS4, on the one hand complain that it has not yet appeared on PS4 on the other hand, if they releas GT7 year and a half after the release of GT6, it would complained again that they released not complete game just as was in GT6, as for me, let them work from a year or two to fine tune the details in the GT7 that was worthy of the money and the opinion which has collected over the years.

By my opinion fourth quarter of 2016, or the first quarter of 2017 will be the release date of GT7.

I've been very patient. Bought GT5 day 1, sold it a few months later. Skipped GT6 as I saw little more then content increase and it wasnt a PS4 title. The thing is my patience is running out. Nostalgia is really the only thing still attaching me to the GT series. Its my desire to see the series return to its glory that drives my passion on this subject. But to be honest, like an old ex, I wish I could simply forget GT and move on. Thats proving to be very difficult. But once I build a decent PC and join something like iRacing, I think I'll finally move on.

GT7 doesnt have to blow me away, though given its resources and the experience of the team etc it should, it just has to be a good game again. But I cant condone the new marketing strategy. First it was announce the game, then release it 3 years later. Now its go 3 years without a single chirp, then announce the game 6 months before release. From one extreme to another. Its maddening and bizarre and in no way a proper sustainable business model.

Im guessing the people who dont really care about GT7 info have GT6 and are enjoying it. Thats not the case with me.
I do care about GT7, and I don't have GT6 no more, but I just don't see the point in ranting about the release date. People will complain it was rushed if it was released next week but would also complain if they took a few years to make a complete game with less bugs. Maybe it's because I have GTR2 and rFactor on PC to keep me busy for the time being...

2005 - Forza 1
2 years

2007 - Forza 2
2 years

2009 - Forza 3
2 years

2011 - Forza 4
2 years

2013 - Forza 5
2 years

2015 - Forza 6
You do realize that Microsoft threw so much money at that series that they could "afford" to hire 300-plus people to work on Forza 3, and 400-plus on the subsequent Forzas after that. Including hiring a Hollywood graphics studio to help tune the engine for F4. You don't do anything in Hollywood on the cheap. M$ has never disclosed the budget for any of their games, because it would be clear how desperate they were to shove their way into yet another market.

Now this is a good thing for the market - at least I hope it is. If MS ends up bankrupting every other racing game developer trying to keep up but Polyphony and whatever in EA's clutches, it won't be. But assuming Forza remains "that other Gran Turismo" which never sells as well, and no one ever again thinks of EA and racing in the same notion, the competition will be good for us. Assetto Corsa was clearly a good thing for P CARS fans, though it seems SMS did rush it. Oooh, did I say "rush"? Maybe devs would be better served releasing mostly finished games when they're ready. Including Gran Turismo.

As for that kitchen sink thing, with all the potential of such a powerful system this time, up there with a good gaming PC, I want a pretty darn good kitchen area in GT7. And I think the team can deliver.

2005 - Forza 1
2 years

2007 - Forza 2
2 years

2009 - Forza 3
2 years

2011 - Forza 4
2 years

2013 - Forza 5
2 years

2015 - Forza 6

Polyphony Digital: