Things I've witnessed that increase your DR

• Thread starter Alltrac185
  • 79 comments
United States
Louisville
I have stared deeply at the bar measuring and comparing after each race and taking note of things I did differently. This will be redundant to some but will shed some light to others. Ever finish a race and win, overtaking 2 or three cars and see your DR bar stay the same? Winning is not the key to increasing your ranking. It is based off your racing IQ. If u pass a car but touch and see that orange Sr symbol, it will take away part of how much it would of increased if not. Finishing with a penalty unserved is horrible. Watch for a gap and slowly eliminate your time penalty without giving up your position and it will increase. Slow down when u have space before a turn because you know the person behind u has to slow down as well. Seeing you slow down will get them antsy and they may over brake and miss the Apex trying to catch you giving you another gap on the exit. If it's a race with tire and fuel use, lean your car out when drafting or in slow sections of the track. If you manage to finish without getting as much fuel as your car should take, that shows skill and the increase is visible. Of course everyone knows clean race, fastest lap, victory, and pole position is great but it's not everything. No matter where you are on the grid, there is a way to really increase your rank

I did not know all of that played a part in DR I figured if you finish well and run fast was the only way it increased. Good info man thanks!

I did not know all of that played a part in DR I figured if you finish well and run fast was the only way it increased. Good info man thanks!
Yea bro, I watched it fluctuate so much in B even if I was P1 that I literally started measuring it lol

Exstremely bad sportmansship (not that it will affect your rating in that) in my mind at least , if you really serve your penalty just before a corner because you know the guy behind dont dare try anything , that`s just not fair in any way in my little world , good thing they stopped that in FIA races , good luck with your races (texas , you need the luck I know hehe)

I did not know all of that played a part in DR
It doesn't.
I have stared deeply at the bar measuring and comparing after each race and taking note of things I did differently. This will be redundant to some but will shed some light to others. Ever finish a race and win, overtaking 2 or three cars and see your DR bar stay the same? Winning is not the key to increasing your ranking. It is based off your racing IQ. If u pass a car but touch and see that orange Sr symbol, it will take away part of how much it would of increased if not. Finishing with a penalty unserved is horrible. Watch for a gap and slowly eliminate your time penalty without giving up your position and it will increase. Slow down when u have space before a turn because you know the person behind u has to slow down as well. Seeing you slow down will get them antsy and they may over brake and miss the Apex trying to catch you giving you another gap on the exit. If it's a race with tire and fuel use, lean your car out when drafting or in slow sections of the track. If you manage to finish without getting as much fuel as your car should take, that shows skill and the increase is visible. Of course everyone knows clean race, fastest lap, victory, and pole position is great but it's not everything. No matter where you are on the grid, there is a way to really increase your rank
The only things that matter is where you finish and what the DR of the other drivers you beat and lose to are.

You take DR from every driver you beat and lose it to every driver who beats you. The higher the DR of the drivers you beat, the more yours goes up. The lower the DR of the drivers who beat you, the more it goes down. A good indicator of where you should finish is the door number on your car - which is your own DR ranking within the lobby (although below DR B this can get a bit wonky as it is ranked alphabetically not numerically). Beat that and finish in the top half and you will gain DR unless already at 75,000.

You don't have to stare at the bar and measure it, you can literally get the raw score directly from the official GT website:

drishere.jpg

Penalties don't count towards your DR, SR does not count towards your DR (your SR rank can limit your DR rank from improving, and if it falls too far it can even reset your DR rank to a lower one, but your in-race SR has zero effect), fastest lap does not count towards your DR, clean race does not count towards your DR, pole position does not count towards your DR.

Nothing but where you finish and the points score of your rivals affects your DR.

It doesn't.

The only things that matter is where you finish and what the DR of the other drivers you beat and lose to are.

You take DR from every driver you beat and lose it to every driver who beats you. The higher the DR of the drivers you beat, the more yours goes up. The lower the DR of the drivers who beat you, the more it goes down. A good indicator of where you should finish is the door number on your car - which is your own DR ranking within the lobby (although below DR B this can get a bit wonky as it is ranked alphabetically not numerically). Beat that and finish in the top half and you will gain DR unless already at 75,000.

You don't have to stare at the bar and measure it, you can literally get the raw score directly from the official GT website:

View attachment 802691
Penalties don't count towards your DR, SR does not count towards your DR (your SR rank can limit your DR rank from improving, and if it falls too far it can even reset your DR rank to a lower one, but your in-race SR has zero effect), fastest lap does not count towards your DR, clean race does not count towards your DR, pole position does not count towards your DR.

Nothing but where you finish and the points score of your rivals affects your DR.
That's how I always understood it to be.

Anybody ever wonder why oranges are called "oranges"? Obviously they are orange in color but if that's the case, why aren't bananas called yellows?

Oh, I get it now, you mean kinda like how "grapes" are grape!!!!
Oh wait, there are red and green grapes too.
So what does the color orange have to do with the price of tea in China or only your SR being affected by orange/red and green sectors??? Once again it is common knowledge that only your finishing position relative to your competitors DR is the only thing that changes your DR.

Is that really the point of the door number? I've never noticed that, most of the time it seems random in my races.

Is that really the point of the door number? I've never noticed that, most of the time it seems random in my races.

There is no point to it, and certainly not when there are E/D/C and certain S drivers in the room. (DR.S masks the actual DR rating of that player which can be D to A+) Below 10,000 DR door numbers are messed up since it's sorted alphabetically.

If everyone in the room has above 10,000 DR then door number reflects the correct order. Door number 01 has the highest DR in the room. However beating your door number and finishing in the top half doesn't always guarantee a DR increase. It all depends on the DR of the players that finish in front of you and behind you. You can lose up to 160 points to people that finish ahead of you if their DR is much lower than yours. Your gains can be as little as 1 point per player you finish ahead of when their DR is much lower than yours. That's why DR resets, new alt counts and disconnects can be very damaging.

been there, but what about the page shown above supposedly from the official gt website? I only ask cuz I've been on that site but never saw this page.
Supposedly? It's literally where all these third-party sites get that information!
You can monitor it on your profile on the official website, without having to rely on external sites. It's little arcane, but the steps are:

* Go to your profile (https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/ - you will have to log in if you are not logged in already - and then click My Profile)
* Use your web browser's "Inspect" (Chrome) or "Inspect Element" (Firefox) function - right-click, Inspect/Inspect Element (or similar equivalent on other browsers)
* In the new area of screen that pops up click "Network"
* Type "Profile" into the Filter/Filter URLs box. If nothing shows up, hit F5 to refresh the page; you will see elements loading up in the Inspect area live
* There won't be many Profile pages, but you'll need to click on one that is an XHR type file and around 1-1.3kb in size
* Click "Response" in the next panel
* Your driver and manner points (DR and SR) are listed near the end

It updates every time your game performs an online save.
Well my evidence shows otherwise. My bar goes up if I don't drop a position while clearing a penalty. But I'm not here to argue.
It's not evidence. It's your interpretation of what you've seen, with only the information you have and your own suppositions.

You don't need to look at a 75-pixel-wide bar and guess if it's moved a pixel or two one way or the other, and then guess what happened in your last race that might have caused it. You need to look at every driver's DR in your race. As soon as you do that you'll see that the total change in DR across all drivers in a race is zero*.

That's because you give DR to the drivers that beat you (more if they're a lower rank) and gain it from those that you beat (more if they're a higher rank).

It is exactly that simple. Your DR change is only down to where you finish and the DR of the people you finish ahead of and behind.

*Other than DR resets, rank-up bonuses and rank-down deductions, and caps. GTS will award extra DR when you go up a level, and take some away when you go down a level. You also can't exceed 75,000pt. If your SR falls more than two ranks below your DR, the game will also reset your DR to a fixed value at a lower rank.

Last edited:
Supposedly?

It's not evidence. It's your interpretation of what you've seen, with only the information you have and your own suppositions.

You don't need to look at a 75-pixel-wide bar and guess if it's moved a pixel or two one way or the other, and then guess what happened in your last race that might have caused it. You need to look at every driver's DR in your race. As soon as you do that you'll see that the total change in DR across all drivers in a race is zero*.

That's because you give DR to the drivers that beat you (more if they're a lower rank) and gain it from those that you beat (more if they're a higher rank).

It is exactly that simple. Your DR change is only down to where you finish and the DR of the people you finish ahead of and behind.

*Other than DR resets, rank-up bonuses and rank-down deductions, and caps. GTS will award extra DR when you go up a level, and take some away when you go down a level. You also can't exceed 75,000pt. If your SR falls more than two ranks below your DR, the game will also reset your DR to a fixed value at a lower rank.

It's actually quite brilliant the way PD designed it that you get DR from drivers that you beat and lose it to drivers that you lose to. But what happens if the top 5 in the lobby are all at 75K and they all finish in the top 5? Do they not lose DR to anyone in front of them since 75K is the max? If bottom half of the top 5 loses DR who gets the points since the top of the podium cant go over 75K?:confused::confused::confused:

Welcome to Gran Turismo: DR-SR. The ranking game where you get to race cars.:dopey:

Top splits or (realistic) aspirations to join them aside, 🤬 DR. It is what it is.

Does this have to do with that online racing trash? I'll see you in 15 years when it actually works correctly.

It should be implemented in a way similar to ELO rankings in chess. The formula for multiplayer gets quite complex, though.
It seems confirmed from experience, that most of it depends on relative DR and relative positions.
But unless we see actual code, there is no way of knowing exactly.

More ideas:
1. Does "beating" a high ranked player by 10 positions count more than beating him by 1. Probably.
2. The cap at 75k does not make ANY SENSE in a system like this. (as mentioned by fastone) One more coding mess up!
3. how can anyone be sure that fastest lap does not give some extra points.

I really suck. I got 1 driver point after over 100 sport mode races and 91 manner points. I cant do a race without loosing about 2 or 3 positions.?

Back