Think You Can Improve Sports Car Racing? The FIA Wants to Hear From You

Damn i am so glad none of you are in charge of racing

Exactly. There's a reason why any good racing series eventually gets **** canned, and more often then not it is ballooning costs. We see it within Group C/GT1 in both iterations and now we see it in LMP1. Simply going back to it with new technology is completing the same vicious cycle that got us into this place.

You want to make the racing better, and more importantly, cheaper for works and privateer teams? Go to the Daytona prototype model. But of course, the FIA won't do that, because its a bunch of Yankee technology, and they have the belief (correct as it may be, but not done in the right context) that their racing series should be a showcase of technology.

Didn't they do a 'survey' like this for F1 many years back, and one of the results was the introduction of DRS?

People HATE the Daytona Prototype, but most of the LMP1 teams from the ALMS are no longer here and might be eyeing up a dpi program... They're cool, but... everything has a bad side to it.

People HATE the Daytona Prototype, but most of the LMP1 teams from the ALMS are no longer here and might be eyeing up a dpi program... They're cool, but... everything has a bad side to it.

At the same time, we have a renaissance of American GT racing, considering that for most of the 2000's it was ALMS or nothing. Now we have IMSA and CTSCC.

Exactly. There's a reason why any good racing series eventually gets **** canned, and more often then not it is ballooning costs. We see it within Group C

As true as it is that Group C costs were too high at the end, is it not also true the costs were so high because the FIA edited Group C in 1990 and tried to make it a "Formula" series?

Group C was doing fine up until that point but as soon as the engineering rules started to align with Formula One, none of the privateer teams like Spice or ADA could afford the new 3.5L engines and the grids began to dwindle.

The supposed story behind it is that Bernie Ecclestone pressured the FIA to force these changes on the Group C WSPC, knowing that it would lead to the collapse of the series, because Formula One was beginning to lose out in popularity to sports car racing.

FIA posting this after LMP1 got nearly bust is alarming.

My take is to allow manufacturers develop their cars from existing super/hypercars (reverse GT1 style where instead of production cars based off protoype, the prototype is based off production instead, exception for GT1 class being the F1 GTR).

It can also cut costs rather than develop LMP1 from scratch.
P1 GTR comes to mind.

Last edited:
The problem with european classes is Always the same
They grow up on poor regulations to incredibly high costa and performances and then FIA closes them Because teams run away or They became too Dangerous or Too costy
And the year later the create a new class and the process repeats
The only class that still survive is F1 (even if it's in a downward spiral)
The North american classes are still alive cause the regulation are made not to showcase the teams/manufacturers behaviour of "i can build the best car ever" but to favour the fun of the spectators instead
When FIA will understand this maybe things will change

Isn't this is always an issue though? The more money and more advanced anything becomes, the less accessible and the more boring it normally becomes. This has always been the case. Tech goes up, teams fall out.

The problem is that a racing teams objective is counter-intuitive to a marketing/crowd objective. A racing team would like precision, better tech than the opposition and a drama-less clockwork progression toward the checkered flag, rinse repeat. This is how you win things and get sponsorship and build prestige. It may not be what a driver likes, but it's the goal. A manufacturer wants mostly the same thing.

A sport which is branding itself wants: safer, faster, more efficient, more proceeds. Generally speaking cars lapping 1-3 seconds slower than a previous formula or year is considered awful - because "progress". You want faster, you go with more tech. More tech means more cost. More cost means less teams and far less interest - because the sell is much harder for a manufacturer.

All of the above is really about bottom lines. While many team members and drivers and folks with the manufacturer enjoy close racing as much as we do, really, behind the scenes the goal is to win - and convincingly.

None of that (short of internet forums and cool tech discussions) makes racing more fun to watch. Perhaps some techno-geeks enjoy the tech going into the racing, but a parade of cars spaced evenly just ticking off laps does not make good entertainment - particularly for those masses watching the race live.

I think it's safe to say that the general motorsport fan wants things like: close finishes, daring passes, the occasional slide, a good bump or two, cars going a bit off track trying desperately to hold off pursuers, the strategy of tires and fuel, and ideally a handful of good rivalries in a series - be it drivers or teams. However all of the above normally flies in the face of everything else I mentioned above. There is a reason that a lot of folks harken back to older eras --- when tech was less precise and you had a bit more of the driver's involvement. Sure cars blew up 40% of the time, but less grip, less aero, and less reliability does simply produce more entertainment.

Personally I enjoyed Aussie V8 supercars more maybe 5-6 years ago before the latest iteration. Loved how much they leaned and slid (more than they seem to now). But I also enjoy CTSCC and other GT4-esque racing series more than I enjoy F1. Some of the very best racing I've seen comes from lower series with less tech, less grip, etc. I love LeMans etc. because I think that endurance racing is one of the few things we haven't beaten into submission technologically yet --- and things always go wrong over 24 hours.

I just feel the two goals: 1) More interest/excitement/viewership, and 2) More speed, safer, more tech --- are at serious odds with eachother.

One of the ideas I had was maybe swapping out LMP2 with something like an LMPE class. I can't see an electric based car leading off yet, but maybe they could work with manufacturers to build a prototype that could have a lot of similarities to Formula E and maybe attract some of those manufacturers who have migrated over there to jointly run teams in both series. This of course would be with DPi or similar being the top class and keeping GT. Another thought, with how advanced the GTE cars have become, would be to switch over to GT only and have GTE, GT3, and GT4 as the primary classes.

Not gonna happen, but borrowing from some people's ideas about using the current crop of hypercars, how amazing would it be to see a grid like this?

Ferrari FXXK
McLaren P1 GTR
Porsche 918 RSR
Pagani Zonda R
Koenigsegg CCGT
Lamborghini Veneno
AM Vulcan
AM Valkyrie
AMG Project One
Chiron Vision GT
Hennesey Venom
Apollo Arrow
Scuderia Glickenhaus SCG 003C
Nio EP9 (with battery swaps instead of refuelling)

:drool:

Not gonna happen, but borrowing from some people's ideas about using the current crop of hypercars, how amazing would it be to see a grid like this?

Ferrari FXXK
McLaren P1 GTR
Porsche 918 RSR
Pagani Zonda R
Koenigsegg CCGT
Lamborghini Veneno
AM Vulcan
AM Valkyrie
AMG Project One
Chiron Vision GT
Hennesey Venom
Apollo Arrow
Scuderia Glickenhaus SCG 003C
Nio EP9 (with battery swaps instead of refuelling)

:drool:

Either you skin a sportscar with those bodies or it's stock racing... not sure where that all fits into the sportscar racing dynamic?

Either you skin a sportscar with those bodies or it's stock racing... not sure where that all fits into the sportscar racing dynamic?

Well I was just replying to some people's ideas about taking current crop of hypercars/track cars from each manufacturer and racing them in place of LMP1. It could be stock racing but with power/weight restrictions to balance out the performance. Anyway, don't think too hard about it. It's just wishful thinking after all :P

With the poll having an option for Adelaide and the them moving to a Winter Schedule got my thinking of a return for the Race of a Thousand Years.

It could be a pretty nice new years tradition to happen where the FIA WEC come to Adelaide and race until midnight to start the next year as well as the second half of the season.

The problem with european classes is Always the same
They grow up on poor regulations to incredibly high costa and performances and then FIA closes them Because teams run away or They became too Dangerous or Too costy
And the year later the create a new class and the process repeats
The only class that still survive is F1 (even if it's in a downward spiral)
The North american classes are still alive cause the regulation are made not to showcase the teams/manufacturers behaviour of "i can build the best car ever" but to favour the fun of the spectators instead
When FIA will understand this maybe things will change
That will be the day the sport dies in Europe. What you describe is sports entertainment built for TV.

I got an e-mail with a report regarding the fan survey. I only skimmed it so I don't know if there is any word of what they will do with the data, but the document seemed to be a collection of graphs and tables showing results of the specific questions in the survey.

I wonder if they looked at the extra written suggestions, 'cause this kind of seems like they're just trying to gauge who their current audience is.

I don't. Both of the last two IMSA WetherTech SportsCar Championships I have loved the close racing especially this year with the Penske Acuras v the Action Express Cadillac's virtually the entire race. I am up to the last 12 hours (Part 3 of 4) on my YouTube viewing of the entire Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona and they two are still dicing. the DPI may not be workable in the WEC but proper factory backed LMP2's (Oreca's, Ligiers etc.) may work. We know how competitive the class is.

Back