Thinking about a DSLR

• Thread starter Kryz11
  • 40 comments
Yes seems there are 2 companies I search the most, one you just show me and the Aokatec.

Yeah I will have to spend additional 65 dollars with Bluetooth and 100 bucks for receiver.

Seems cheaper and more continent over the Nikon or even Canon options.

I agree that I remember when I took pictures, when I was in mexico I took a lot of pictures with CyberShot, good thing it had GPS. When I uploaded a few pictures to Panoramio it made it very easy to me and exact location of the pictures. :) I do like GPS

Seems now new kid on the block with Canon 70D to be reviled later this month.
Im still itching for the D7100 but I will probably buy it end of summer beginning of fall. Till then got to spend the 1 grand on a fridge.
Thanks guys for the help. I appreciate it!

For GPS why not use your smart phone. When you start a shoot take one with your phone and that should capture the GPS data for you. Or use a GPS tracker on your phone while your out and it will log time and place, then use Lightroom or iPhoto and sync the GPS data and if you have the correct time on your phone and computer it will put your images on a map based on time stamp.

BTW if you buy a Nikon D3100 or D5100 etc. you will have to have a af-s lens otherwise af will not work.

Unless you use it in manual focus, AF and AF-D lenses won't auto focus but will still meter....many older manual focus lenses will mount but won't meter so basically your going full manual with them. And using a manual focus lens is a real pain on a DSLR unless you get a proper focusing screen.

Well, he did say the AF won't work, not that the lens wouldn't work.... :sly:

But you are absolutely right when you say how hard it is to get good focus manually with only the ground-glass screen to work with (no split-image or micro-prism focus aids.)

My D7000 has a light on the bottom left which illuminates for correct focus at the selected sensor, and arrows pointing which direction it's out when focus has not been achieved, but to see it you have to look away from your subject. My F4 also has these (at the top of the viewfinder,) but the arrows are red, which makes it MUCH easier to see out of the corner of your eye. When the red goes away you have good focus. Besides which, the F4 has interchangeable screens and I've scored a split-image screen for it!

Well, he did say the AF won't work, not that the lens wouldn't work.... :sly:

But you are absolutely right when you say how hard it is to get good focus manually with only the ground-glass screen to work with (no split-image or micro-prism focus aids.)

My D7000 has a light on the bottom left which illuminates for correct focus at the selected sensor, and arrows pointing which direction it's out when focus has not been achieved, but to see it you have to look away from your subject. My F4 also has these (at the top of the viewfinder,) but the arrows are red, which makes it MUCH easier to see out of the corner of your eye. When the red goes away you have good focus. Besides which, the F4 has interchangeable screens and I've scored a split-image screen for it!

Oops yes, Your right, Somehow I read "it" will not work. Sorry about that theradicalness

Yeah, I have an 50mm f1.4 AI-S but I have the older D-300 and it only has the light and no arrows to help, a real pain...need to shoot a few to a few to get it right. I was thinking of a KatzEye screen but I don't use the 50mm enough to warrant it.

With practice manual focusing isn't too bad even without the little split image, but under low light and wide open... Forget about it! :lol:

I've successfully shot at 1.4 focusing using live view and a tripod, It works but it's too inconvenient.

I was just fixing to say, use Live View and zoom in, but that assumes you have time enough to do so.

Back