Thinking of getting Forza 5...some thoughts

• Thread starter theofilosz
  • 77 comments

theofilosz

(Banned)
Greece
Greece
the0f1l0s
Damn it... I want this game so bad. Checking out the screenshots and videos makes it even worse :P.

I am the current owner of an abandoned PS3 and a custom rig with G27. I ain't planning on getting GT 5 spec 3 unless it sells for like 20 euro max :P. Since my mind is on Forza I don't think there is a point in keeping the PS3. No more GT coming after GT6 and even this one is definitely not worth my time.

Thinking on the future my only choices are Forza and PC (having a very decent PC). The problem is I like to play offline and the GT-like career modes. I don't like to hotlap all the time nor can I show the commitment to join an online league (very busy with kids, work and dogs). It seems the only trully good choice for me will be FORZA long term (even though I have joined Project CARS i can't stand playing it since there is no AI, Career yet and customization choices will never be included *that was a bad choice but for another topic*) and their constant desire to perfect physics, customizing, drivatar make me feel that it will be totally worth it.

I totally dislike Microsoft and their wheel policy with XB ONE, but on the other hand Turn10 balances it by giving me a good feeling on how better the game will become!

My plan is to get an XBOX ONE and a wheel since I don't intend to play without it. So far I heard the only choice is Thrustmaster TX? Are there any more wheels coming out?

I've never tried that wheel shape that is on the TX and I don't like it, I prefer the round shape. I feel that this shape is mostly for vehicles with out many degrees on steering (like carts and open wheel), which is not the case for me as I prefer normal cars mostly. If someone is informed on the matter please shed some light in case I have a totally wrong impression.

The bill so far that I have in mind: XB one 400 euro Forza 5 60-70 euro and the 1 year online membership for around 50 euro. The Thrustmaster TX is for 300 euro around on ebay. That makes it a bit more than 800 euro which I hope I can lower to 500 by selling my G27 and the PS3.

Of course I like the TH8 shifter and the clutch but it can wait for later. Since I am new in this (Forza) please help me out if I have missed some news on my choices. I need to plan things correctly in order so that maybe until Spring I will be ready to go for it!

One of the few drawbacks in FM5 is weather and night which I hardly care about since I never bothered with them in GT5 also. The biggest problem for me is career races are only 2 laps but I can live with that since you can make custom races that count and are not considered like arcade mode in GT. How big is the career mode? Gt5 or GT4 like?

That's all for now, thanks guys for reading this.

i jumped last year around new years to FM4, i really wish i had done it years ago. Really enjoy that game and physics. FM5 is even better on the physics side. Content may be down from FM4 but that was no surprise to me seeing as it's a new generation and carrying over FM2 and 3 content to a new machine would have been laughable.

I can't help with the wheel as i don't have one now and never have for console games but may jump on one in the future. Single player career is a bit of a bummer with only 2 laps but i do a lot of free play, basically arcade mode in GT but you get paid for it. Another thing i started doing in FM that i didn't enjoy in GT is online lobbies. I've had some real fun in those. I wish FM5 had the amount of Le Mans cars that 4 did, the best times i had in FM4 were in "Forza Le Mans multiclass" hoppers. The Multiclass in FM5 isn't bad, i just love the Le Mans P1, P2 and GT cars.

I know that Mad Catz has a less than stellar past, but I'll at least wait for the reviews to come in. As of now my money would go to the TX.

To answer the question regarding how big the career is, I once counted up the events (not quite all are racing, as there are a few other event types sprinkled in) and the number was shy of 600. Not all events are more than one lap, as the bowling or cone ones are one lap, but some are three lap races, so let's just say it averages two laps apiece, so that would be approaching 1,200 laps. Lap length varies by track and time depends on class, but if you average two minutes per lap then that's upwards of 2,400 minutes driving. If you never have to or want to redo an event and only do each once, that's forty hours on the track. That doesn't count time spent buying cars, upgrading, tuning, painting and designing, photographing, watching replays, or exploring cars in Forza Vista. It also assumes you don't touch Rivals, multiplayer, or free play at all; just career.

I made a credit card application today *crosses fingers*

:lol::lol::lol:

As for the Mad Catz wheel, it doesn't look very promising to me, but I have the time to wait. The best thing would be the TX with TH8 and T500 pedals. I wonder if they are gonna give more options when ordering?

The good thing with getting an XB One is that you are guaranteed a new Forza title every 2 year and maybe a 2nd horizon also! It will make worth the investment and since the TX can be used on the PC too it will be an upgrade making the cost seem more reasonable.

All right I'm sold :sly:

For me, variety of tracks is extremely important. So I will certainly be waiting until Forza 5 has caught up with Forza 4 in this respect.

Add in weather and/or time change and GT5 and 6 effectively increases that variety even further, leaving FM5 behind. At least for now.

For example, Bathurst at midday, morning, late afternoon and night is like four different tracks almost. Certainly four different experiences and challenges.

Last edited:
For me, variety of tracks is extremely important. So I will certainly be waiting until Forza 5 has caught up with Forza 4 in this respect.

Add in weather and/or time change and GT5 and 6 effectively increases that variety even further, leaving FM5 behind. At least for now.

For example, Bathurst at midday, morning, late afternoon and night is like four different tracks almost. Certainly four different experiences and challenges.

I wouldnt even go as far as calling them different tracks. Different experience, I can agree with though.

The tracks, while the number does look low, I think I used less then that amount on FM4. My go-too's where Nurb(hopefully we find out whats goin on with this.), Laguna Seca, The Alps, and Road Atlanta. I never had a problem with repetitiveness. That will vary from person to person though.

I'd like to think that I was a competitive racer, but most of the fun in the game, for me, came from the photomode. That alone will get me days of play in, and will make it well worth it, even though the car/track count is smaller.

<snip>
I'd like to think that I was a competitive racer, but most of the fun in the game, for me, came from the photomode. That alone will get me days of play in, and will make it well worth it, even though the car/track count is smaller.

I'm with you on Photomode! I've spent many hours setting up shots (and even more waiting for the upload/download process!).

I'm a member of a serious photographic society and have won blue ribbons for a number of FM4 photos.

Does FM5 make it easier and faster to transfer photos to one's home computer? It drove me crazy with the slow upload and download one at a time. GT5 and 6 make it SO much more useful by allowing saving to an external drive.

once you take the picture, hit the save button. fill out details it uploads it to the forzamotorsport.net site. it's quick.

once you take the picture, hit the save button. fill out details it uploads it to the forzamotorsport.net site. it's quick.

And what's the download speed like? I have 75 megabits/sec FIOS (gives me 10 megabytes per second from some servers, like Apple) and I get only about 0.1 megabytes per second download from the FM4 servers. Takes minutes for a "Bigshot" and forever for a 30 second video clip. But that's FM4.

don't count on chronosmax being the solution to fanatec on the xb1
Indeed the drive for the mighty dollar has rendered all our expensive wheels useless...Doubt an adapter can ever get us the FFB back. I bought my fanatec just this summer, but heck i will spend many hours enjoying it this year as i'm not gonna step up to next gen yet, plenty enough good racing games on the 360 with FM4 and Shift 2 :)

Hope the technology stays the same now, so we don't get *ssraped once again for the next generation.

Nice vid, but i wonder if T10 payed them off listening to the speakers :D

Last edited:
If the wheel for the xbox could work for the xbox one, I would go for FM 4 too, for now. But since I will need a wheel I can't get a wheel only for the xbox, it would be very stupid right now.

And what's the download speed like? I have 75 megabits/sec FIOS (gives me 10 megabytes per second from some servers, like Apple) and I get only about 0.1 megabytes per second download from the FM4 servers. Takes minutes for a "Bigshot" and forever for a 30 second video clip. But that's FM4.

i just went to my gallery clicked on the picture and drag & drop it to my computer (also tried right click save as), 10 secs to do all of that. No option for file size, all are 1920x1080 at 72dpi. Haven't messed with any videos.

@theofilosz If you get the TX wheel(which I highly recommend). Do yourself a favor and get the GTE Add-on Rim! For $117(price in US) it's a no brainer and completely changes the way this wheel feels. The Stock rim is plasticy and feels cheap. The GTE rim is mostly metal and enhances not only the feel but also makes the Force Feedback feel better with the added weight. And...it's a round wheel which it sound like you want to begin with. I also like to use my F1 rim which is awesome but I typically only use it for F1 driving, and Prototypes. And you have the right thoughts with adding a set of T500 pedals. Love mine!

i just went to my gallery clicked on the picture and drag & drop it to my computer (also tried right click save as), 10 secs to do all of that. No option for file size, all are 1920x1080 at 72dpi. Haven't messed with any videos.
In FM4, there is an option for an 8.3 megapixel image (like an older DSLR) rather than the standard itty bitty cereal packet camera one. Sounds like they took that out. Ouch! 1980x1080 is fine for HDTV or web viewing on an old computer. That would REALLY annoy me!

@theofilosz If you get the TX wheel(which I highly recommend). Do yourself a favor and get the GTE Add-on Rim! For $117(price in US) it's a no brainer and completely changes the way this wheel feels. The Stock rim is plasticy and feels cheap. The GTE rim is mostly metal and enhances not only the feel but also makes the Force Feedback feel better with the added weight. And...it's a round wheel which it sound like you want to begin with. I also like to use my F1 rim which is awesome but I typically only use it for F1 driving, and Prototypes. And you have the right thoughts with adding a set of T500 pedals. Love mine!

Yeah I was expecting it! I would prefer if they sold it with this option or at least if they sold the wheel base only so it would get cheaper this way. Who knows until I got the money maybe they have changed their offers?

What he said. +1

Some good news :)

I sold me PS3 today (120 euro :( but I guess the clock is ticking against it right now) and I have almost sealed a deal for the cockpit. Which means things are getting close now. The XBOne is not yet available in my country.....

Im going to be honest. I was a huge playstation and GT fan growing up. GT5 came out and I loved it. When Forza released the demo for Forza 4 I went and bought an Xbox just so I could play the demo. The next day I sold my ps3 and GT5 and went and pre ordered FM4. FM4 was AMAZING. So amazing I pre ordered the Xbox one just for FM5. What a MISTAKE!!. Forza 5 gets an A+ in the graphics and sound department and thats all. Its lacking majorly in content. I had a blast the first week but running the same tracks over and over and having a hard time inviting friends I just gave up on T10 and Forza. I sold my Xbox one and FM5 last week and went back to the ps3 and GT6. I will be getting a PS4 but I will wait until they give a release date for GT7. I can only hope the Forza 6 in 2 years will have the content that FM4 had. If they do that and add day/night and weather I will more than likely buy another Xbox one just for Forza.

I didn't even buy GT6 and I had a PS3 and a G27. I am not going to consider a PS4 for GT7 as I have lost all hope for PD. Turn 10 on the other hand looking at history I am guaranteed to have every year or two a new title with upgraded quality. Their car lists are always epic, drivatar and rivals are fun and you have the best customization and tuning. I don't need anything more since DLC with cars and tracks are a standard.

I too had high hopes for the drivatar but in reality the drivatar is HORRIBLE. My friends and I are very good and clean racers. When we race alone and one of our friends drivatars are in the lobby it makes no difference they crash into you for no reason. We joke around and call it Forza Derby 5. I guarantee you will not be able to do a race and not get hit.

Back