Thinking of selling my wheel and abandoning sim racing because of gt6.

• Thread starter soap_hand
  • 61 comments
United States
US
I'll be honest. I am not a good sim racer. I don't understand how most tuning options work nor do I have the time to grind out races for the more expensive cars. I find myself at a distinct disadvantage in online races. My saving grace was shuffle mode in Gran Turismo 5. Given an equal chance for a comparable car and setup as everyone else made online racing highly addictive for
me. I went out and bought a wheel specifically for this mode and the knowledge it would surely be in Gran Turismo 6. As we all know this mode has been abandoned by Polyphony for whatever reason, and no hope in sight of ever coming back. Thankfully bought my wheel for extremely cheap during the Microcenter craze so when I sell it I may actually make a profit. But anyway I just wanted to say goodbye.

Don't sell your wheel and give up because of GT. Tuning is horrendously broken in GT so don't beat yourself up over that.

Do yourself a favor and get a gaming computer. Literally every modern sim available blows GT out of the water. Better physics, actual telemetry to create setups with and people take the racing more seriously, (almost) everyone uses a wheel because PC sims are not made for controllers.

I'll be honest. I am not a good sim racer. I don't understand how most tuning options work nor do I have the time to grind out races for the more expensive cars. I find myself at a distinct disadvantage in online races. My saving grace was shuffle mode in Gran Turismo 5. Given an equal chance for a comparable car and setup as everyone else made online racing highly addictive for
me. I went out and bought a wheel specifically for this mode and the knowledge it would surely be in Gran Turismo 6. As we all know this mode has been abandoned by Polyphony for whatever reason, and no hope in sight of ever coming back. Thankfully bought my wheel for extremely cheap during the Microcenter craze so when I sell it I may actually make a profit. But anyway I just wanted to say goodbye.

Have a look in the online racing forums. There are actually quite a few no-tuning series and clubs.

Besides GT6 and the franchise isn't all there is. If sim racing is your passion go and try other games that are out there. The game you use is basically just a platform for your hobby. It doesn't need to be the GT franchise if it doesn't offer what you are looking for. Actually right now is the best time for sim racers with many interesting titles coming.

Don't sell your wheel and give up because of GT. Tuning is horrendously broken in GT so don't beat yourself up over that.

Do yourself a favor and get a gaming computer. Literally every modern sim available blows GT out of the water. Better physics, actual telemetry to create setups with and people take the racing more seriously, (almost) everyone uses a wheel because PC sims are not made for controllers.
They're also not made for the "common console player", which sadly GT is.

PC for racing/driving sims over next gen consoles any day. PC is where the sims are at my friend, you will not be dissapointed.

Rather than completely giving up hope on PD and the hobby you enjoy so much, just move over to PC sim's where you can start enjoying a more immersive experience. I havent really looked back since the change, the only reason why I want to play GT6 still is to socialize with friends for old time sake. GT6 is pretty much a sinking ship, the only real alternative is PC as there are quite afew good quality sims on it.

It's a shame how someone that enjoy's sim racing so much is put off the hobby all together because of GT. Sad times we are living in, but 2014-15 is the year that sim racer's are making the difference through communication with the development teams to bring the best possible quality and immersion to our homes. Don't let PD put you off from driving!

People have to start from somewhere, did you start to run before you could crawl?
True, but there isn't a problem with starting out with GT6 as an introduction into Sim racing, since it caters to casual and hardcore racing gamers, and is more user friendly than most of the PC racing sims out there, but if the OP wants to try out the PC Sims, then that's not a problem.

True, but there isn't a problem with starting out with GT6 as an introduction into Sim racing, since it caters to casual and hardcore racing gamers, and is more user friendly than most of the PC racing sims out there, but if the OP wants to try out the PC Sims, then that's not a problem.

I would suggest to the OP to stick with GT5 but the servers are shutting down soon. GT6 will be improved but it isnt coming quick enough. GT6 needs to be updated before the GT5 servers are switched off but try telling that to PD.

I can understand the OP's frustration, there's afew reason's why I switched to PC and it all comes down to not being happy with the GT series.

As for the PC sim's, you can still play them as a casual gamer on pad if you wanted to. But the OP has a wheel so he could just get stuck right in with some of these sim's.

Low to Medium spec PC can run
Race 07
rFactor
Game Stock Car Extreme
Live for Speed

Medium to High End PC
Assetto Corsa
Project CARS
iRacing
rFactor 2
Race Room Racing Experience

There are always bundle deals going on over at overclockers.co.uk and any other known PC supplier from the States. And if you can build your own PC that is even better but you will need to do research in which components work well with each other.

If you don't enjoy it, then I suppose I understand. So best to you.

I suck at tuning. I really suck at online racing. But I still play and will continue to play because I enjoy the sensation of driving cars I will never get to drive around tracks I will never get to visit and hope that I might be able to get better. :odd:

I don't understand the notion 'well if it's not exactaly what I want right this second I had better give up all racing games ever and sell my car so it dsnt even REMIND ME of it!'

Like, there are other racing games on the market and coming soon. How about you spend 20mins and learn some basics about setup and play the game you have rather than wishing it was something else?

Overreaction of the month. Maybe the year.

You're giving up all sim racing because one feature wasn't in one game. I mean, if it was the one feature that attracted you to racing games, then fine. But would you not like to just try and get better? Practice and improve? GT isn't solely about racing either. You can pick a car, join a free run lobby and have fun driving.

I can totally understand you.

I suck at tunig other than simple things like wing-downforce adjustment and stuff like that. I just want to have fun by racing my favorite cars on my favorite tracks with a certain amount of challenge.

And I still want to keep me a little realism, that's why I can't enjoy those "Michael Bay" games like NFS and prefer Gran Turismo any day.

I understand why people like to be able to do the most detailed tuning possible. If they enjoy it, why not ? but remember: IT'S STILL SUPPOSED TO BE A GAME, created for one thing: fun.

I suck at racing games as well, but I'm actually glad that I bought a wheel because of GT5 and GT6.

I use it to practice my driving skills since I'm too lazy and cheap to take my car to a track.

Honestly, my G25 is my only reason why I still play GT6.
Is the G25 compatible to the Xbox one/Forza 5?

join my serie; no tuning and balanced cars... or join any other one make series.

i honestly do not see a single reason to drop gt6 due to shuffle races not being in

I did exactly that , sold my rseat evo v3 and Logitech wheel and all the custom mods , miss it but you know as a console racer and with just a pc that was just about powerful to run rfactor , but with space and less grief from her indoors was a good move to get shot of them , plus setting up a rig gets more time and effort put into it than actual using the dam thing. constantly trying new things modding it can take over. Well it did for me

You shouldnt quit it because there is no shuffle racing.
Try to find "one make racing-lobby's" or "400 to 550pp-lobbys", preferably those that run no aids or just ABS and you will have a blast.
Just make sure not to make any pitstops, cause it will change your car!

I quitted gt a while ago and now run weekly series on race07 (max settings) on my pc from 2008. Soon we wil go to assetto corsa or whatever game wins the current evolution in simracing.
I missed the people i ran with on gt, so with those who do still race gt (about 10 whereas 30 a year ago :)) i race once per month. Just no pitstops, cause it gives me the shivers i've paid 75euros for my car to magically change after you make one.

All i'm trying to say is, u obviously love racing. Dont quit and sell your wheel because of GT.. Just dont buy it (gran turismo) anymore and spend your money on the other and better alternatives! Do some research and i'm sure you will find what you are looking for!

Last edited:

Thats just silly...

But even if the OP is not into "Real Sims" there are games like Dirt and F1 (Codemasters), which on a PC (assuming he has a decent USB wheel) are in a different league to GT in terms of wheel handling.

My cheapo DFGT can be setup using config software on the PC for sensitivity, deadzones, linearity etc etc., and then again in the game itself, and its a joy to use. GT sux bigtime for wheels... period !

Do not judge gaming wheel-use from GT... GT has just about THE worse wheel-implementation of any game in recent memory - I know... the irony is palpable !

Can we cut the PC elitist BS attitude?
Say that to the person I quoted, I am most certainly not a PC elitist. I don't even own one...

I'm just saying you can't compare PC sims to consoles sims because most racers for the console are made to be picked up and played by anyone, so they are a bit "dumbed down" for the common player. Not so with PC sims.

I don't think console racers are dumbed down in any way, they just have to cater for huge audiences. A PC racing sim can focus on racing alone, but a console racer has to have many aspects of car culture integrated into it.

GT's success as a franchise is because they've always got a great balance between car collection, history, tuning and racing.

I don't think console racers are dumbed down in any way, they just have to cater for huge audiences. A PC racing sim can focus on racing alone, but a console racer has to have many aspects of car culture integrated into it.

GT's success as a franchise is because they've always got a great balance between car collection, history, tuning and racing.

:yuck:

Back