Thinking of selling my wheel and abandoning sim racing because of gt6.

• Thread starter soap_hand
  • 61 comments
You have to admit they've always supported the aftermarket, err, market, really well throughout the franchise. GT4 peaked in the area with aftermarket dealerships containing branded performance parts.

Can we cut the PC elitist BS attitude?

No one is having a "PC elitist BS attitude." It's facts, PC sims are made to be played with FFB wheels and pretty much nothing else. It's also a known fact that GT6 was geared even more towards people being able to pick it up with a controller and be competitive.

Say that to the person I quoted, I am most certainly not a PC elitist. I don't even own one...

I'm just saying you can't compare PC sims to consoles sims because most racers for the console are made to be picked up and played by anyone, so they are a bit "dumbed down" for the common player. Not so with PC sims.

Sorry. I just took it as "that" kind of attitude. I don't really agree that console sims (or any console franchise for that matter) are inherently dumbed down. They can be every bit as complex (to the extend that the technology in the given console allows) as PC games, and there will still be plenty of people that pick it up. A lot of hardcore PC sims have all kinds of aids that make driving/flying or whatever much easier. Does that make them "dumbed down"?

No one is having a "PC elitist BS attitude." It's facts, PC sims are made to be played with FFB wheels and pretty much nothing else. It's also a known fact that GT6 was geared even more towards people being able to pick it up with a controller and be competitive.

PC racing sims don't have much choice, as playing any kind of driving game with a mouse/keyboard is simply awful. Consoles come with handy contorllers that are perfectly suitable to play racing games with. PC's don't. hence the added focus on driving periphials.

So in short. PC racing sim have to have major support for other periphials because the game just wouldn't play right with a keyboard/mouse. But console games have wheel periphials as an added thing because the controller works perfectly fine.

Also, you can't just the GT franchise as the sole arguement for console games being dumbed down. It's a horrible franchise, it's no fair :lol:

Last edited:
Another option to try on PC is GTR2. It dates from 2006 and can be picked up for around £3. I took the plunge earlier this week. It took me a day on and off to set up due to also wanting the absolutely stunning Power & Glory v3.1 community mod (downloadable for free) which effectively creates a new extra game from your existing GTR2 install leaving GTR2 intact. It features 70 ish race cars from the 60's and 70's in 300 different liveries. Porsches included.

My old PC (laptop) is not particularly quick and is not designed as a gaming PC. It surprised me in handling the likes of GTR2 and Race 07 exceedingly well even on higher quality settings. It's way better than GT5/ GT6/FM4 in my opinion. The scaleable AI is challenging and cars are well matched. I can run up to 62 car fields (track dependent) on maximum quality settings on GTR2. There are plenty of driver assists if you need them although I find it better with everything off including abs. I haven't tuned anything yet although it's there if you want to fettle. Championships or single races can be set up as you like or you can use the predefined ones.

There is also a SimBin megabundle for about 20 pounds on Steam (PC network like PSN) It features GT Legends, GTR1, GTR2, Race 07 and more including loads of extra official add on packs.

I'll still be keeping my toes wet in GT6 for GTA etc awaiting the community features.

Not everyone is good at tuning, this is why we have people to do all of the hard work for us. :P

Check out the tuning sub forum, you will most definitely find a tune that will help you out a ton. If you want, you could even apply those settings to one of the many one make racing series that GTP has to offer. Don't throw in the towel just yet. 👍

Another option to try on PC is GTR2. It dates from 2006 and can be picked up for around £3. I took the plunge earlier this week. It took me a day on and off to set up due to also wanting the absolutely stunning Power & Glory v3.1 community mod (downloadable for free) which effectively creates a new extra game from your existing GTR2 install leaving GTR2 intact. It features 70 ish race cars from the 60's and 70's in 300 different liveries. Porsches included.

My old PC (laptop) is not particularly quick and is not designed as a gaming PC. It surprised me in handling the likes of GTR2 and Race 07 exceedingly well even on higher quality settings. It's way better than GT5/ GT6/FM4 in my opinion. The scaleable AI is challenging and cars are well matched. I can run up to 62 car fields (track dependent) on maximum quality settings on GTR2. There are plenty of driver assists if you need them although I find it better with everything off including abs. I haven't tuned anything yet although it's there if you want to fettle. Championships or single races can be set up as you like or you can use the predefined ones.

There is also a SimBin megabundle for about 20 pounds on Steam (PC network like PSN) It features GT Legends, GTR1, GTR2, Race 07 and more including loads of extra official add on packs.

I'll still be keeping my toes wet in GT6 for GTA etc awaiting the community features.

well the first point ist, gt/forza are no sims, they are real racing games. giving you the (more or less) perfect feel of driving and tuning but not simulating even a tad of the car right.
gt gets it so close that stuff like gt academy work(forza is just...nope, all is too much, too much over/understeer, too much vehicle movement and too much weight changes).

but on pc at least some parts are good simulated, but also there is no super simulator that i would call a "100% sim".

gtr2 is ja blast with weather/day-night changes, good tuning options(a bit too much simplyfied for me but hey) and even something you could call singleplayer campaign.
a good free to play(pay) sim is also raceroom, but it lacks singleplayer cointent but sound and car feeling are pretty nice.
race07/gtrevo/etc got touring cars pretty good simulated, you can feel a misstune damn fast and the ai is quite fast, but no real progress is to do there accept for multiple saisons in different classes.

all in all if you master the pc sims, you will just laugh at the simplicity of gt/forza games, and on pc you could easely reuse all the race equipment.

Meh, be a Badass and run bone stock cars online, you will most likely never win but it's very satisfying when you destroy some noobs and their highly tuned cars.

Stopping racing doesn't mean you have to stop driving. I suggest you see how you like free run track days and just tooling around.

I rarely race but I drive for hours every day.

That's a pretty drastic option to take. I suggest buying a PS2 and using that wheel with one of the myriad of games that it will probably work with that will offer a superior (and in many cases quite different) experience. If tuning isn't your thing I suggest Enthusia.

That's a pretty drastic option to take. I suggest buying a PS2 and using that wheel with one of the myriad of games that it will probably work with that will offer a superior (and in many cases quite different) experience. If tuning isn't your thing I suggest Enthusia.
Haha. When I was reading your post, I was just about to say Enthusia as well. :lol: I agree with @Tornado. Enthusia has amazing physics that, in my opinion, haven't aged at all since 2005. 👍

I suggest buying a PS2 and using that wheel with one of the myriad of games that it will probably work with that will offer a superior (and in many cases quite different) experience. If tuning isn't your thing I suggest Enthusia.

The T500 is said to not work on the PS2 at all, (I've deduced that he has the T500 from his comments).

I played GT5/6 (still do... a bit I guess) and when I downloaded Race 07, on a Laptop with a Pentium and Intel onboard graphics, I still managed to have fun with graphics turned all the way down. Sure I had no idea what I was doing, but I was having fun driving the many cars all the add on packs offered. ISI AI can be a bit dodgy at times, but there is a difficulty for everyone, and the car base tunes are pretty user-friendly and balanced. There are many people on these Forums here that are willing to help.

And yea, I totally see what you mean by GT making me want to give up sim racing, feeling 'incomplete in soul' after an online session, or a grinding session to buy another car, but the ISI based games (rFactor, rFactor 2, Race 07, DTM Experience, Game Stock Car, SimRaceway, and many many more) can offer quite a bit of fun.

The ISI games made me enjoy hotlapping a bit. Just 'feeling' and enjoying cars.

I'll be honest. I am not a good sim racer. I don't understand how most tuning options work nor do I have the time to grind out races for the more expensive cars. I find myself at a distinct disadvantage in online races. My saving grace was shuffle mode in Gran Turismo 5. Given an equal chance for a comparable car and setup as everyone else made online racing highly addictive for
me. I went out and bought a wheel specifically for this mode and the knowledge it would surely be in Gran Turismo 6. As we all know this mode has been abandoned by Polyphony for whatever reason, and no hope in sight of ever coming back. Thankfully bought my wheel for extremely cheap during the Microcenter craze so when I sell it I may actually make a profit. But anyway I just wanted to say goodbye.

Keep your wheel for Project Cars coming later this year but you will need a new PS4.

Completely abandoning sim racing because 1 game is lacking a feature, despite other offerings like iRacing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor, rFactor 2, and the upcoming project CARS?

Thats a good idea, right?

I'll be honest. I am not a good sim racer. I don't understand how most tuning options work nor do I have the time to grind out races for the more expensive cars. I find myself at a distinct disadvantage in online races. My saving grace was shuffle mode in Gran Turismo 5. Given an equal chance for a comparable car and setup as everyone else made online racing highly addictive for
me. I went out and bought a wheel specifically for this mode and the knowledge it would surely be in Gran Turismo 6. As we all know this mode has been abandoned by Polyphony for whatever reason, and no hope in sight of ever coming back. Thankfully bought my wheel for extremely cheap during the Microcenter craze so when I sell it I may actually make a profit. But anyway I just wanted to say goodbye.

yea, shuffle was great. Thats all I wanted to do. If I switched to shuffle, all my friends would cry ;) -Are you not interested in the course maker? That's the only reason I still care about GT6.

(Off topic: I got on GT6 tonight, got my login bonus, checked my friends' seasonal/GT academy times, Bought the Concept Viper GTSR...found out I couldn't change paint or anything on it..., Clicked on Vision GT, laughed a little, Got on PlayStation Home :/ )

Yeah, I also dont want to be rude but...

"I dont have a clue about tuning = screw GT6 and all sim racing games?" :lol:

Tuning basics are very easy to understand. Apparently in this forum there are many people willing to teach you for free (thats what they said in another thread at least) I woul also gladly teach but not for free and I was bashed for that reason. So yeah, hold on a minute, I'll search for that thread...

Edit: here it is, more or less... Racecraft mentor but also supposedly including car setups and other stuff. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/racecraft-mentor-program.305739/

:(

Don't sell your wheel and give up because of GT. Tuning is horrendously broken in GT so don't beat yourself up over that.

Really? I never found this to be the case. Maybe it's because I use a tool for it.

As for a gaming rig for sim racing, look into track days in your area. Here, I can do 1 a month for the cost of gaming rig. Nothing beats reality no matter what you drive.

I don't understand the notion 'well if it's not exactaly what I want right this second I had better give up all racing games ever and sell my car so it dsnt even REMIND ME of it!'

Like, there are other racing games on the market and coming soon. How about you spend 20mins and learn some basics about setup and play the game you have rather than wishing it was something else?

This right here, see that this issue I have with the OP. If you feel you're wasting time with GT online races then put that time somewhere else. And by that I mean exactly what I'm quote from this user. Put time into watching videos of a sim racing or setups for a potential sim racing game you may want. Drive solo laps and practice every aspect you can for the same time frame you'd put in online GT6. Then try it, if it still doesn't work give up on your own accord, but don't expect instant gratification (success). GT6 (and 5) as many have said have issues and you shouldn't blame yourself for them, or feeling as if time is wasted due to past experiences with the franchise that were better, but giving up all together is an equal waste.

Goodbye to you thn. I'm a girl and even I enjoy GT6. Even tho I don't have a clue what all those options mean on fully customizable suspension etc :P

What does being a girl or boy have to do with anything...do guys inherently know how GT works at birth more so than girls, because this is news to me.

Back