Thinking of switching to AC (from GT)

• Thread starter kelrick85
  • 70 comments
Since nobody ever seems to discuss the "cons" of AC I'm going to put in my $0.03 here, as I have both AC and GT6. None of these are big issues, but I think it should be said.

If you like to paint/customize cars this not a seamless process in AC. You do have more livery options in AC, but those custom skins are not automatically shared online. Google AC white cars.

You can't control the whole interface from your wheel. You will still need a mouse and probably a keyboard when not racing. This can be awkward while sitting in front of a wheel.

My dfgt is not officially supported in AC. I spent hours setting it up, and I'm still not 100% happy with it.

AC crashes on me more than gt6.

Both games are awesome IMO. I still like and mostly use gt6 as its got more content built in and I don't have to futz with it as much. I have more fun with GT6. AC is a better simulator and I use it when I want a more realistic and challenging experience.

Cheers!

Since nobody ever seems to discuss the "cons" of AC I'm going to put in my $0.03 here, as I have both AC and GT6. None of these are big issues, but I think it should be said.

If you like to paint/customize cars this not a seamless process in AC. You do have more livery options in AC, but those custom skins are not automatically shared online. Google AC white cars.

You can't control the whole interface from your wheel. You will still need a mouse and probably a keyboard when not racing. This can be awkward while sitting in front of a wheel.

My dfgt is not officially supported in AC. I spent hours setting it up, and I'm still not 100% happy with it.

AC crashes on me more than gt6.

Both games are awesome IMO. I still like and mostly use gt6 as its got more content built in and I don't have to futz with it as much. I have more fun with GT6. AC is a better simulator and I use it when I want a more realistic and challenging experience.

Cheers!
Oh no...I am in the process of purchasing a new gaming laptop so I can get into the world of PC Sim racing. My only experience is with GT6 and I currently have a DFGT wheel. My wheel isn't supported by Assetto Corsa?! That really sucks. What did you have to do to get yours to work? You say you're still not happy...why is that? I'm dropping a ton of cash on this laptop, I really do not want to have to get a new wheel now too. Damn!

Oh no...I am in the process of purchasing a new gaming laptop so I can get into the world of PC Sim racing. My only experience is with GT6 and I currently have a DFGT wheel. My wheel isn't supported by Assetto Corsa?! That really sucks. What did you have to do to get yours to work? You say you're still not happy...why is that? I'm dropping a ton of cash on this laptop, I really do not want to have to get a new wheel now too. Damn!

Pretty sure DFGT will work, just there is no preset in AC to select for it. You should still be able to calibrate and fiddle around with settings, which you need to do anyway regardless of presets.

Just make sure Logitech profiler software is running in the background when you play

I'm hoping AC on PS4 will be more user-friendly and relatively bug-free.

I'll probably get both AC and GT7 on PS4. I think both are still long from being released...

First of all the DFGT works fine with AC. Just use the G27 profile and tweak it from there. Felt great when I was using it.

Second - yes the interface needs a mouse, but they are working on an all new one for the console version, that will be available for PC too. And that it seems, will work with the buttons on the wheel. I do prefer it that way too.

I don't mind needing a mouse or keyboard as I have these set up on my rig, however the annoying thing for me is needing to remember to move the mouse down to the bottom of the screen or else the FFB shaking will jiggle the mouse and make it visible again after it times out and disappears. Being able to use the mouse for the side panel items is handy though.

Yeah, they need to make the cursor invisible when not moving, or maybe visible only when over the UI. Hate it when it craws from the bottom due to vibrations. Nothing ruins games/movies more than a cursor over them.

I tried this game after finally getting a good graphics card... Well, frankly it doesnt seem that different to GT to me.

It obviously has better graphics and better sound, granted... but... I dont know, I dont think its that different in terms of physics.
What I felt it is a massive downfall compared to GT is the enormous lack of cars and tracks in comparison.

I'd imagine GT7 for PS4 will be kinda similar in visuals, sounds and physics, but with far more tracks and cars.

And I have to say that in my opinion PC gaming is so damn expensive and this obsession with extremely good graphics is a bit too much for what it offers. The most important is the good gameplay and the fun in the games.

Last edited:
I tried this game after finally getting a good graphics card... Well, frankly it doesnt seem that different to GT to me.

It obviously has better graphics and better sound, granted... but... I dont know, I dont think its that different in terms of physics.
What I felt it is a massive downfall compared to GT is the enormous lack of cars and tracks in comparison.

I'd imagine GT7 for PS4 will be kinda similar in visuals, sounds and physics, but with far more tracks and cars.

And I have to say that in my opinion PC gaming is so damn expensive and this obsession with extremely good graphics is a bit too much for what it offers. The most important is the good gameplay and the fun in the games.

I suspect that you're either playing with a gamepad or a non-force feedback wheel lol. I'd stopped playing GT6 since August last year ever since started AC. If you only recently switched over to AC, either GT6 had improved on the physics so much that it is now on par. However, I get a headache easily with GT6 running only 30fps last time I played at a friends house.

I prefer the colour balance of GT 6 though and some exclusive GT tracks. That's two things I definitely missed the most.

I suspect that you're either playing with a gamepad or a non-force feedback wheel lol. I'd stopped playing GT6 since August last year ever since started AC. If you only recently switched over to AC, either GT6 had improved on the physics so much that it is now on par. However, I get a headache easily with GT6 running only 30fps last time I played at a friends house.

I prefer the colour balance of GT 6 though and some exclusive GT tracks. That's two things I definitely missed the most.
Since when GT6 runs at 30 FPS only?
I think GT6 physics are pretty good, its other things that make GT6 look bad like many terrible car sounds or outdated graphics due to PS3 low power.

And no I haven't "switched" to AC. You can perfectly play both or more at a time. :)

Last edited:

The dfgt works, but you should expect to spend some time running the wizard and then fiddling with settings. I initially had lots of extraneous wobbling/vibrating that I had to figure out. It's fine, maybe it's just the small ways that are different and I'm so used to gt6.

My gt6 frame rate got much better after I adjusted a couple settings like rgb type at the system level and sharpness inside the game itself.

Ahh...That makes me feel a lot better, knowing that I'll be able to use my DFGT wheel. I'm planning on getting a new wheel eventually, but since this wheel is working just fine, I really didn't want to HAVE to get one. I just placed the order on my new laptop. The excitement to play AC is already building!! :D

My sarcasm didn't work very well lol. More like the frequent frame rate drops are substantial in tracks like Circuit de la Sarthe, Bathurst etc. and racing on these tracks gave me headaches.

Nothing wrong with not being switched over to AC. And like I said, it's not all bad from GT6 and it's pointless to compare the two games as they're really different aims and have different target market, for different hardware. Both have their merits but (not a physics expert), I just love how much more the car handling AC provides than GT6 and the surface detail on most of these laser scanned tracks. Those little bumps and nudges I feel on the T500RS is just sensational.

That's why I was wondering if it's the hardware that you're using not giving you the best experience in AC.

I think GT6 physics are pretty good, its other things that make GT6 look bad like many terrible car sounds or outdated graphics due to PS3 low power.

And no I haven't "switched" to AC. You can perfectly play both or more at a time. :)
It runs at 50, worst case scenario on photmode it dips to 20

GT6 physics are sub par at best, with ff cars handling like absolute crap and force feedback meaning "slightly heavy wheel" theres no feedback to tell how the cars reacting, if they react at all.

If you havent "switched" to ac because you have a toaster pc or anything like that, go get game stock car, a sim that runs on low end pc's.

Last edited:
My sarcasm didn't work very well lol. More like the frequent frame rate drops are substantial in tracks like Circuit de la Sarthe, Bathurst etc. and racing on these tracks gave me headaches.

Nothing wrong with not being switched over to AC. And like I said, it's not all bad from GT6 and it's pointless to compare the two games as they're really different aims and have different target market, for different hardware. Both have their merits but (not a physics expert), I just love how much more the car handling AC provides than GT6 and the surface detail on most of these laser scanned tracks. Those little bumps and nudges I feel on the T500RS is just sensational.

That's why I was wondering if it's the hardware that you're using not giving you the best experience in AC.
If other players can get used to those frame drops without problems and without headache, you can too. Don't exaggerate.
I use the same yardstick to compare the physics of both games and I know its not as precise as a wheel but its equally valid to compare them I guess.

It runs at 50, worst case scenario on photmode it dips to 20

GT6 physics are sub par at best, with ff cars handling like absolute crap and force feedback meaning "slightly heavy wheel" theres no feedback to tell how the cars reacting, if they react at all.

If you havent "switched" to ac because you have a toaster pc or anything like that, go get game stock car, a sim that runs on low end pc's.

It can run at 60 and goes down depending on number of cars and rain/dust and those effects.

I havent switched to AC only because as I said I dont see any reasons why you cant play more than one... And AC has almost no cars and no tracks compared to GT6.

My PC is more than enough to run AC at full settings. Its a top end i5 and I just got a 280x which is halfway between a 960 and a 970.
So according to you AC is not much better than subpar then?

Last edited:
If other players can get used to those frame drops without problems and without headache, you can too. Don't exaggerate.
I use the same yardstick to compare the physics of both games and I know its not as precise as a wheel but its equally valid to compare them I guess.

It can run at 60 and goes down depending on number of cars and rain/dust and those effects.

I havent switched to AC only because as I said I dont see any reasons why you cant play more than one... And AC has almost no cars and no tracks compared to GT6.

My PC is more than enough to run AC at full settings. Its a top end i5 and I just got a 280x which is halfway between a 960 and a 970.

Just because you can't tell the difference doesn't mean that others don't especially when you're used to constant 60fps minimum gameplay for awhile and jump back to GT6.

Anyway, I gladly respect that you feel that GT6 is on par with AC. However I highly recommend AC to @kelrick85.

Not once in my post did i say ac was slightly better than GT6, if i was to catagorize it its miles above it in terms of immersion, but seeing as you are an obvious GT shill i wont entertain this any longer.

Just because you can't tell the difference doesn't mean that others don't especially when you're used to constant 60fps minimum gameplay for awhile and jump back to GT6.

Anyway, I gladly respect that you feel that GT6 is on par with AC. However I highly recommend AC to @kelrick85.

I can tell the difference, but GT6 is nowhere near unplayable as some of you guys make it out to be. Just because a game has not stable 60 FPS doesnt mean it can not be played. Its about adapting.

Not once in my post did i say ac was slightly better than GT6, if i was to catagorize it its miles above it in terms of immersion, but seeing as you are an obvious GT shill i wont entertain this any longer.

LOL "GT shill". For the same logic I could call you "AC shill" then.

Considering the immense gap between the old PS3 and a powerful PC, I think PD did a fantastic job and AC has obviously massive hardware advantage that has to be considered.

Don't forget to use the Natural Graphics mod and SweetFX ( LumaSharpen). Makes a big difference to the Graphics! Bog standard are a bit meh.
I've recently finally purchased my first pc in years and have gotten AC on steam. At first I was excited until I got on track. The menus look good but when on track it's displayed in 32bit and graphics look, well, terrible. I don't know what's going on but I'm wondering if these mods will fix things? Even though I can't stand looking at the game but the ffb in my dfgt and handling is a huge step above what gt was imo

Ahh...That makes me feel a lot better, knowing that I'll be able to use my DFGT wheel. I'm planning on getting a new wheel eventually, but since this wheel is working just fine, I really didn't want to HAVE to get one. I just placed the order on my new laptop. The excitement to play AC is already building!! :D
You're welcome to share your first impressions 👍

I think everyone should try AC, and I'll be trying PCars on my pc the next time it goes on sale. :D

I'm also tempted to buy a TrackIr to use with PCars helmet cam.

I am all about trying AC, if I had the hardware. My initial hesitation was that I would be investing in $1k+ for a new computer just to play AC, and wondering if it was worth the expense.

Seeing that both GT7 and AC will be coming to console next year, I will hold off jumping to PC.

I'm not sure how you can't feel any major differences even on a controller. I use AC with a controller quite often as my wheel set up isn't exactly practical, and I feel canyon wide differences between the two games. No, I'm not exaggerating. Have you tried experimenting with the multiple controller configuration options? They are very diverse.

And AC has almost no cars and no tracks compared to GT6.

If you are going to limit yourself by refusing to download the plethora of car and track mods (as well as app, skin and graphical mods), then that is your perogative. Kunos, unlike PD, are very, very supporting of mods and will even officially license and incorporate them into a future game patch.

My track count in AC is several times that of GT6's track list, and I only download tracks of a decent quality. The same for cars, last I counted a few months ago, I believe I was around the 150 mark. Only a tenth that of GT6's car count, but several times that of the vanilla game and almost every one of those cars is unavailable in GT6, or any Gran Turismo game.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you can't feel any major differences even on a controller. I use AC with a controller quite often as my wheel set up isn't exactly practical, and I feel canyon wide differences between the two games. No, I'm not exaggerating. Have you tried experimenting with the multiple controller configuration options? They are very diverse.

If you are going to limit yourself by refusing to download the plethora of car and track mods (as well as app, skin and graphical mods), then that is your perogative. Kunos, unlike PD, are very, very supporting of mods and will even officially license and incorporate them into a future game patch.

My track count in AC is several times that of GT6's track list, and I only download tracks of a decent quality. The same for cars, last I counted a few months ago, I believe I was around the 150 mark. Only a tenth that of GT6's car count, but several times that of the vanilla game and almost every one of those cars is unavailable in GT6, or any Gran Turismo game.
Would you mind sharing links to the websites that you feel offer the best Assetto Corsa assets? The fact that there are so many incredible cars and tracks made by the community is why I'm so looking forward to giving it a go. GTPlanet is the only website that I've ever really visited as far as racing games are concerned. Obviously, this isn't the place for mods. Oh, I really hope my laptop is here this week!! :D

Yeah, I saw this coming (mods joker)
In the vast majority of cases you can't compare the official content quality with mods quality and you know it!
We are talking about games with very high graphics detail, this is not rfactor or other old games.

Back