This company still doesn't get it...

• Thread starter CnPx
  • 70 comments
The frustrating part is that they CAN make an OK race, as evidenced by the endurance races. The AI still isn't great, but they are fast. In the one I did around Kyoto, I didn't start in last, I didn't pass everyone in 2 laps, and I enjoyed it. Why they decided to not do that for cafe is confusing.

But, at least we know more events are in the pipeline and will get here soon. Hopefully they pay out reasonably well, and are fun
GT7 is the best example so far that the irritating chase-the-rabbit format isn't because of some limitations of the AI or graphics or anything else. It's purely a design choice - it's exactly how Polyphony want the game to play. What possible logic they could have for it no one knows. I'd love an interviewer to ask Kaz to explain why that particular race structure is so heavily used.

That they have decent races is both great and irritating. Great because it's nice to have at least some good races, particularly longer ones. Irritating because showing how much better it could be only serves to highlight how poor the cafe races actually are. With most games you can see what the design intent was even if it didn't work out quite as well as the developers might have hoped cough*BSpec*cough, but with GT7 cafe races it just seems like they made it intentionally bad.

So you play a bland and boring game because of the content?

You are not making sense.
You gonna pretand GT ever been an exciting thrill ride lol. Bland is what it is, whats its always been. Clearly by design.

But that was fine you got to screw with all kinds of cars on many tracks, not everything has to be overly exaggerated nfs type stuff.

But now it plain Boring because of the pathetic lack of content and the little it has is locked behind idiotic game design.

After buring threw its weak amount of content theres not much point in playing. So no i dont play much, its too boring.

Even the few good events it has get boring fast, same damn car on the same grid spot every freaking time. Couldnt those morons atleast randomize the damn grid.

You gonna pretand GT ever been an exciting thrill ride lol. Bland is what it is, whats its always been. Clearly by design.

But that was fine you got to screw with all kinds of cars on many tracks, not everything has to be overly exaggerated nfs type stuff.

But now it plain Boring because of the pathetic lack of content and the little it has is locked behind idiotic game design.

After buring threw its weak amount of content theres not much point in playing. So no i dont play much, its too boring.

Even the few good events it has get boring fast, same damn car on the same grid spot every freaking time. Couldnt those morons atleast randomize the damn grid.
I'm not pretending anything, i don't care what others think, each to his own, including you. But when you complain about a bland and boring game and suggest the solution would be more "content" then i am naturally confused, because that content will be used in the "bland and boring" game.

I'm not pretending anything, i don't care what others think, each to his own, including you. But when you complain about a bland and boring game and suggest the solution would be more "content" then i am naturally confused, because that content will be used in the "bland and boring" game.
I would assume that the request is not for more bland and boring content (hello cafe races!), but instead some content that adds something exciting and new to the game. The endurance missions are a decent example, longer races with decent rewards (even if they are one time only) and that represent a reasonable challenge. Great! More like that please!

What other solution to a bland and boring game would there be than adding more content that is not bland and boring? The solution to a bland meal is to add spice and seasonings.

FWIW, I personally wouldn't describe GT7 as bland and boring, but it's certainly not had much that blows me away or makes me say "wow!" It could certainly do with a bit of spice and some more stuff that is uniquely GT7. The game has the potential to offer all sorts of amazing experiences and challenges, but it hasn't really used much of that potential yet.

Sure you do, thats why you so despertaly defend a medicore game.

GT has always been bland, by design or art direction. Call whatever you want, was never much as issue but a small forgotten weakness, now its far more glaring one. Get it ? its a rather simpler concept.

I dont know how many time i need to repeat simple statements, ITS BORING due to the pathetic content.

I would assume that the request is not for more bland and boring content (hello cafe races!), but instead some content that adds something exciting and new to the game. The endurance missions are a decent example, longer races with decent rewards (even if they are one time only) and that represent a reasonable challenge. Great! More like that please!

What other solution to a bland and boring game would there be than adding more content that is not bland and boring? The solution to a bland meal is to add spice and seasonings.

FWIW, I personally wouldn't describe GT7 as bland and boring, but it's certainly not had much that blows me away or makes me say "wow!" It could certainly do with a bit of spice and some more stuff that is uniquely GT7. The game has the potential to offer all sorts of amazing experiences and challenges, but it hasn't really used much of that potential yet.
Thats basically it. I really like GTs driving style as its more realistic then the competition. Although I think the crashing needs some work as crashing just feels like complete crap. Plus all the walls have the same impact. You hit a wall of tyres and its the same as hitting a concrete block. A tyre wall should be more absorbent.
The 1 time payouts on the endurance races was a terrible idea. A game that people are already complaining that they are bored very quickly due to the lack of content and so the company adds content with no replay-ability? They need to be trying to keep people interested and giving them a few days of content is not the way to go. At this point I am seriously questioning the writers at PD. I am quite sure the guy that designed GT6 must have left the company because they have took a dive bomb straight into the ground since then.
I could list several ways in which players would have days of content with out a huge amount of needed development. On top of that I don't feel like GT have really done any real form of innovation since the PS2. I mean a couple things have been added sure but still its basically the same. Like take the online for example. How many different game modes does the online have other than circuit races? None at all?. After getting gold on all the missions, licenses and circuit experience how many ways do you have to earn money? Circuit races?
I don't think bland is the right word but I do understand what people mean when they say it. This game needs to do more then have circuit races as the only thing to get money. Why is there no drift experience?(Drifting circuit experience)? Or why don't they add a GT twist to rivals from Forza? Like tie it into the time trial events or something. Why not add multiple game modes to the multiplayer so people that aren't pro cos also earn credits playing online. Forza has loads of stuff in the online yet GT has circuit races and even those are extremely limited in variety.
Dealer ship invitations should just be removed. Who ever thought those were a good idea needs to be examined by a psychiatric nurse. In what persons world is stopping the player from buying a car in a car game a good idea. It's obviously to get people to rush and buy micro transactions but in actual fact I would argue it has the opposite effect and pisses them off and makes them play something else. If PD wanna make this game have any chance of a comeback then they really need to get their priorities straight because this game has probably left a stain on both Sony and PDs reputation for a long time. And I am happy it has because I hope that Sony actually learns from it and realises that they aren't the only shark in the sea. If Microsoft are buying out several huge companies then Sony needs to think about keeping customers not pushing them over to Xbox. Xbox is already a cheaper option so Sony need to make their games worth the money and GT7 simply isnt in its current state.

What content do you think is worth it?
(I'm not having a go, just curious to see other people's opinions)

My opinion (which seems to be with the majority of players) - is that this game was released incomplete and with several major flaws.

GT7 has all the bones to be the best GT in the series but so far is lacking in too many areas. The game was sold to everyone as the most complete GT yet, a return to its former glory. It genuinely felt like that when I started playing, I enjoyed plodding my through the Cafe, doing mission races when I liked it and smashing out golds on all the licence tests. It felt like a true GT game.

The Cafe menu setup was not my favourite, it feels like a long drawn on tutorial mode but I enjoyed it none the less. As soon as you run our of cafe menu's, the game just essentially ends. I had gold on all the missions and all the licences and then there was nothing left to play. The only thing left to do in this game was to buy / collect all the cars. There was very limited options to race and even less options when it came to optimising my time to get the most credits available (grind).

This is where the game feels the most incomplete. In previous full release GT's, you have a plethora of races and series to complete that literally takes hundreds of hours to complete but this game can be done within 30-40hours total and I have seen speedrunners completing the cafe menu's in under 3 hours. I replay some races and start to realise that it wasn't fun and the key reason to this is the AI. The AI is so bad that PD made a vast majority of the races "chase the rabbit" style races. There is actually very little "Racing" in GT7 and they have opted to go down the route of starting 40 seconds behind 1st, put you in a much faster car and then you breeze past them.

I thought I would try out Sport mode. I always liked sport mode in GT Sport, with the exception of the horrid penalty system anyway. This mode was full of people exploiting the still horrid penalty system. To enjoy racing along side with others, I had to either join people exploiting this system or be happy falling back in the grid. No fun. Also not worth my time when gaining credits.

I went to play some online races with some mates... But the lobby is missing so many features from previous GT games and... well, its broken. You cant change the settings and you have to disband and completely remake the lobby to change any settings. The game doesn't even remember your previous lobby settings and has no option to save a variety of your favourite lobby setups. I'm not playing online until these issues are fixed as its a frustrating mess and a waste of time.

PD recently updated the game and have put in 8 new mission races to help satisfy and fix the economy problem and the lack of content problem. It does a small amount to fix the issue but its lazy. 8 hours of content added in the form of races that people will only want to do once as there is no reason to do them again. They added a few new races to world circuits that look good to grind but it doesn't go far enough in fixing the real issues - lack of content.

If PD released an update with the GT5/GT6 series then we would be onto a winner. Bring back the beginner, intermediate, pro and endurance leagues and most would be happy. These need to be mostly Grid Starts with fairly equal cars. They need to be curated with increasing rewards as you go up the ladder. This is what I expected to be unlocked once I completed the cafe tutorial mode but there was nothing. Such a disappointment.

PD look to be drip feeding the content in this game and I would happy for them to do this IF they released the game complete to begin with. But its not, its a drawn out tutorial with a broken economy and broken online modes.
This games current state makes it worth 1/3 of of current selling price at the most.
Personally I believe that this game is currently infinitely overpriced as it's glaringly obvious that the economy was built like a free to play game and its an insult to players and fans of this game to charge them even a cent for its current layout.
While I think perhaps most players are most frustrated with lacking content after the last update which gave players the possibility to gain $47M, the small content problem could easily be reduced by letting players choose the PP, tyre and grid start! Then replay value of GT cafe and other single player stuff [??] would be much more entertaining.
Almost forgot custom race, if payout would be increased 100% on all repeatable events and custom races, and ability to save setups on custom race, then a good improvement in GT7 even before PD releases the other stuff later this year.

No one is defending the game some of us are simply enjoying it. I played sport since the beta in 2017 this game is so much more than that.

As I have said numerous times, if you don't have fun driving the cars in the game it's not for you.
As many have said frequently, if PD would make some minor changes which takes a few hours to code/change/modify, then very many players would enjoy this game much more. 'It's easy if you try'.

The game is for improvement! For most of us.

As many have said frequently, if PD would make some minor changes which takes a few hours to code/change/modify, then very many players would enjoy this game much more. 'It's easy if you try'.

The game is for improvement! For most of us.
In Forza you get something called rivals which is basically where you race against online leaderboards and get credits for working your way up the leaderboards. The more you improve the more you get paid. I can spend hours on the same rival because you constantly improve working your way up the leaderboard.
Imagine if Gran Turismo had its own version of rivals? They could tie it into the time trials and drift trials option for each track! I can't imagine this would take a huge amount of time to add. If they added this to the game then I would happily say it's the best Gran Turismo game.
Another thing I want to see is a real campaign. The menu books weren't a campaign but more an introduction. I want to see something like GT Sport where you got categories to work through. This won't happen thou as PD don't give a crap. The World Series races aren't that fun to do. They feel more like arcade races rather then you working towards something.
There is also a ton of quality of life changes that need to be made. 2 of the main ones being the option to buy tyres in the race menu. If this isn't possible then just make all tyres free. The amount of times I lose the race I was doing because I start a race up, realise its a wet track, go back to buy tyres and because the races are laid out like crap I forget the track I was doing. Which brings me onto my next point, the option to see the weather. Why the hell can you not tell if its going to rain or not or if the track is wet. In real life I can google the weather so why can't I tell if its going to rain in a game where it's programmed to rain? The weather radar aswell is garbage. It doesn't zoom in no where near enough so on small tracks its not worth using.
The chase camera is terrible and you can't make it loose enough. It feels like a pole is attached to the boot of the car and the other end has a camera attached so its just a solid bar moving with the car rather then a camera actually chasing the car. And why can't you move the camera round the car in the chase view but you can in every other view? I hate that.
Something that makes this game just feel old is the crash physics. It feels like you crashing in a Lego game or something. I said this in another post but when you crash into a concrete block its the same as crashing into a tyre wall? Tyre walls are built to absorb the impact. If they wanted to go the extra mile then tyres should go flying everywhere 😂

Anyway. I could be here all night talking about things they should implement but the main thing I want to see is GT rivals and a real campaign.

I would like to have GT7 add the social features of DriveClub, that is sharing challenges, which would be custom races in GT7. Infinite content to be had there. Just need to increase the payouts for custom races to make it viable.

Create a challenge for a specific car, car class, PP limit, etc. Set the AI line up or make it a time trial. Set the time and weather progression. Upload and get feedback in the form of leader board updates for the challenge. It could be an extra tab for each circuit, in which you can sort challenges by car, duration, type of race, popularity etc. A simple like/dislike system and the best races will rise to the top.

I would like to have GT7 add the social features of DriveClub, that is sharing challenges, which would be custom races in GT7. Infinite content to be had there. Just need to increase the payouts for custom races to make it viable.

Create a challenge for a specific car, car class, PP limit, etc. Set the AI line up or make it a time trial. Set the time and weather progression. Upload and get feedback in the form of leader board updates for the challenge. It could be an extra tab for each circuit, in which you can sort challenges by car, duration, type of race, popularity etc. A simple like/dislike system and the best races will rise to the top.
I played Drive club before but that sounds awesome. PD won't make payouts good for custom stuff thou cos they probably worry that it will get abused and its more work for them to patch things. Or at least that's my guess. But like you say if they allowed players to have more freedom by making their own content then that is endless fun for the players and its the ultimate way to keep player retention. People are also more likely to spend money on a game that they love then a game that has very little to offer. At the moment every time I play GT its not long before I get bored because the game doesn't offer enough variety of stuff to do. If GT had so much content that it was 1 of the only games I played then I wouldn't care about spending a few quid here and there because its like a little extra contribution towards the game. At the moment my money is going on new games and other games that I have more fun playing.
Custom races should have their rewards increase by atleast 4 times what they payout now. At the moment with a clean race bonus its around 100k per hour. Since they increase credits on a lot of World Series events even the easy races now are around 500-600k per hour so I think 400k per hour for custom races is pretty good. They obviously shouldn't pay out as much as the main events but they shouldn't pay out so little that there is no reason to do them at all. Especially when there is barely any main events to do so players have no choice but to rinse and repeat the same events just to get any money.

Back