This Gorgeous 1-of-5 Porsche 908K is a Chance to Own Racing History

Awesome story and a great read! I love reading about these historical race cars and how dedicated enthusiasts keep them in shape for many, many years like this car. To think this car lived a hard life racing and even had an accident but here it is still around to see and was even being used in vintage events. Very cool stuff.

The 908 won Porsche's first WEC World Championship in 1969, the year after it was introduced. The legendary 917 was introduced in 1969 but suffered teething problems through out its first season. In the hands of Joest Racing the 908 morphed into 936 which then went on to win Le Mans in 1976, 77 and 81. A bit impressive that the same chassis design won Le Mans 13 years after it was introduced. 908's also won the Nurburgring 1000km race on the Nordschleife as late as 1980.

The 908 won Porsche's first WEC World Championship in 1969, the year after it was introduced. The legendary 917 was introduced in 1969 but suffered teething problems through out its first season. In the hands of Joest Racing the 908 morphed into 936 which then went on to win Le Mans in 1976, 77 and 81. A bit impressive that the same chassis design won Le Mans 13 years after it was introduced. 908's also won the Nurburgring 1000km race on the Nordschleife as late as 1980.

Gah, I knew I forgot to mention something in the article! I find it a fascinating fact that the 908 in some form or another is one of the only race cars to win in three different decades ('60s, '70s, and '80s).

I didn't realise these were so rare! I saw one of these for sale over Christmas, supposedly it had previously been part of Jerry Seinfeld's collection. It's a gorgeous car, even more so in person.

Back