This Guy Is The Best Drifter!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mr.Grandorifto
  • 53 comments
  • 7,225 views
"I have to say, I don't think there is anything terribly impressive about that video. His front wheels were girating like crazy. He messed up a few lines, and his drifts were a bit too eradic,"

"(maybe, just outside of trying to beat some of the times on our OLR forum)."

"The second video was even worse. Going off track, WAY TOO MANY manji's down the straits, and so on...."

All of these comments are rude to me. I let it go for a while. In no way is any of this appropriate and if the driver saw this, he would be a little upset, as it bothers me since i was on the rankings for GT HD. I saw many videos of these people, because i was competing with them.

As for the other two people who posted and don't like the drift point system. That's fine, just don't play. Do time trial or enjoy something else. Many people like the challenge of learning something new and competing for points. There is no other way to calculate anything...If their was, i bet the same people with the initiative to try and get the highest points, would be all over that as well. It just takes practice, like anything you do...

Also, in the second replay when he came off that hill sideways and went into the turn sliding, that is very hard to do and just shows how much control he has...I'm not saying it looks fantastic, but trying to do that and having control like he does in the game is hard and he deserves credit...

Here is another rude comment...Trying to get me to argue back. With the little sarcastic wink....

I call this, you trying to make an argument.

And I call that a triple post. Wow, there IS an edit button you know? There is also a multiple quote button too!
But every post ive seen from him has had that wink at the bottom no matter what was being said.

GTSomething, I too have noticed about the points not counting drifts which clearly are.
 
You're right Z 2 8. He is the best drifter ever and if anyone makes any comment about any minor mistakes he made, they should be banned! This guy is perfect and there is no way anyone can comment on any errors without being a rude snob.

Like anything thats subjective, we all are entitled to our opinion. IMO there is no "best" for everyone. The guy is sic for sure but i've watched some jp videos online that not only have the highest score but even the "purests" that dont like the points system would admire. Perfect lines, smooth as silk & in an american car no less.
 
These "video game drifters" are after "drift points" and so is everyone else on the rankings...So, their skill level is based on drift points, nothing more. Which is what the drift trial is about. If you want to see more realistic drifting in the game, you can do so on time trial, or disregard drift points. Then, it would make more sense to comment on how their drift looks. I think your being rude by putting down these players who were drifting 17000+ points in GT HD, by saying what you did...Your not that impressed, etc...If your not that impressed, why don't you do it? Oh, that's right...You would rather not play on the "drift point system" and drift on your own to make it look more realistic. That's cool.

My point is, he was a good drifter and i don't think it's necessary to put him down in any way. Any top drifter in the game is a good "player". Keep in mind, they are going for "drift points", that's all...All you can say is that it was an awesome run, which it was. Obviously, you drift in real life and are critiquing the game heavily. Well, i drift and race as well. I'm more into drag racing, because i have a Z28. Built my motor with a friend and the car runs 11's on the motor, N/A. You have your opinion and i have mine. But, the only difference is your offending people with the things you say. Maybe no one has said anything, but you offended me. As a moderator, i wouldn't expect this kind of thing. The top drifters look a lot better than your typical person on the rankings...Even if the points didn't show...Drift trial should be left to drift points and that's it. No need to comment on a players achievement, because it didn't pertain well enough to real life... I understand you can have an opinion, but when you are being rude that draws the line and I'm sure this site doesn't support rude behavior. Like you said, it is a gaming forum, so some of the things you say could insult people, because when they are number 1 with a good run, they don't need to be compared to reality. Sometimes, things are better just kept to yourself.

;)
I believe that DR has his far share on judging Drifting in the Gran Turismo and so have I. You can't really judge a drift because there is a thin line between a power slide and a drift.
If you look at the video a Ferrari is impressive to link or drift a entire track. But usually, the purest people who have the skill have the most challenging cars to deal with to link the entire course. Being innovated with ideas in anything will get kudos.

RedSupra has skill alright and so does other people. Hey, other people could be better than RedSupra though their names won't be on top of the list. Enjoy your time drifting as a sport or a lifestyle.((Just after reading this, I may have repeated some post)) I don't support anyone side but I don't mind having my voice out and heard as a drift fan. As for team FBI and IDM, I can't wait for videos.
Keiichi Tsuchiya
"The Most Important thing is Balance."
Is what I always looked for in a drift or car.
 
Like anything thats subjective, we all are entitled to our opinion. IMO there is no "best" for everyone. The guy is sic for sure but i've watched some jp videos online that not only have the highest score but even the "purests" that dont like the points system would admire. Perfect lines, smooth as silk & in an american car no less.
Don't know if you saw the sarcasm there... ;)
 
Here is another rude comment...Trying to get me to argue back. With the little sarcastic wink....

Z28, first of all, there is always a wink at the end of my posts. Famine has his indigo, I have my wink. Just a little trademark. Nothing to take personally. Furthermore, yes I was trying to get you to "continue the discussion" as it is a good one to bring up. Not to argue. You are the only one arguing.

Also, double (triple) posting is a big no no around here. It's a useless waste of bandwidth. Please edit your posts in the future.

There was nothing rude about my comments. They are opinions, which obviously a lot of people here share. We were having a nice discussion, and then you started to take everything so personal, and blew everything out of proportion. Drifting for points takes skill, which I said. However, it is my opinion that it does not take as much skill as performing a proper drift. You have your opinion, I have mine. Absolutely no reason to get but hurt over it.

You don't need any settings to drift, you can drift any RWD car stock. All it takes is practice and a little bit of skill. It is reccomended to start out with stock cars when learning to drift because you learn so much more than going straight into 600+hp cars. You learn the car, and proper techniques to drifting that way.

Absolutely!

Good advice.

GTSomething, I too have noticed about the points not counting drifts which clearly are.

Also, if you start your drift way before the flags (which is what I would most likely be doing, because I love long entries), you don't receive points until after you have crossed the flags. Likewise, if you drift past the flags, again, you are not getting any points. This seemingly punishes people for performing longer drifts.

In closing, yes, The gentleman in the first post has skill. No one can take that away from him. He has obviously put in a lot of time and effort. However, drifting is and always will be "subjective", meaning opinions are going to vary wildly. Such is subjective sports. If you don't agree with the opinion, make a valid point. Otherwise you're just wasting space.



;)
 
My opinion:

Nailing the lines and clipping points, with speed and angle is what I believe the new standard for drift scoring is going towards. You see it happening now in Formula D and D1GP scoring. They mention the importance of clipping points. It’s a measure of accuracy. Accuracy is less subjective to argue as it’s plain as eye to see and this makes it possible to assign scores and how I see correctly being implement in the Drift Trials in GT5 Prologue. The only thing missing is differentiating scoring for technique and grace. . The things in question are ebraking verses feint transitions, smooth countersteering verse erratic ones and entrance technique. When judging in real life competitions, these are taken into account.

I believe the most impressive skill of drifting is demonstrating the ability to control your drifts to follow a certain path …meaning meeting the entrance speed criteria, taking that line, and hitting that clipping point every time you make a run. I think this is the Drift Trials intention.

This makes the scoring standard across the board for all competitors, the only thing not taken into account is the technique and grace of the drifts, but standardizing something takes time and I’m happy they included this. Drifting as a sport is still new, but with anything that is new and judged or measured, we eventually come up with standard for scoring to make it fair. Subjective scoring is like a slam-dunk contest. Its entertaining, but for more accurate measure of skill, ask them the players to do a 3 point competition to test their shooting skills, that’s kind of where this is going and it’s more of a fair way to score…I think. The Drift Trials in GT5 Prologue are pretty consistent on how they score and fun to play.
 
Fair and well said Delphic =). Theres never gonma be a single drift video with 100% awesomenism from everyone.

Also to a cheap way to get points is to drift very slowly...cuz at the right angle...points literally rain in, the slower you go, the most you get...

I just don't like how todays drifting is based off points ><
 
One thing I did not think about before, but am realizing this as of now, is that the car that he uses pushes out mass amounts of HP and torque... I don't feel that this is the way to go anymore with drifting, I know IRL we don't drift 120hp stock car's on the D1 circuit, but we defiantly do not drift 320,000$ car's... Now this is where the "gaming" aspect of this all comes in, yes... its just a game, but to many, a lifestyle... Because of how much this game has to offer, you can open it up every day, and experience something different...
 
My opinion:

Nailing the lines and clipping points, with speed and angle is what I believe the new standard for drift scoring is going towards. You see it happening now in Formula D and D1GP scoring. They mention the importance of clipping points. It&#8217;s a measure of accuracy. Accuracy is less subjective to argue as it&#8217;s plain as eye to see and this makes it possible to assign scores and how I see correctly being implement in the Drift Trials in GT5 Prologue. The only thing missing is differentiating scoring for technique and grace. . The things in question are ebraking verses feint transitions, smooth countersteering verse erratic ones and entrance technique. When judging in real life competitions, these are taken into account.

I believe the most impressive skill of drifting is demonstrating the ability to control your drifts to follow a certain path &#8230;meaning meeting the entrance speed criteria, taking that line, and hitting that clipping point every time you make a run. I think this is the Drift Trials intention.

This makes the scoring standard across the board for all competitors, the only thing not taken into account is the technique and grace of the drifts, but standardizing something takes time and I&#8217;m happy they included this. Drifting as a sport is still new, but with anything that is new and judged or measured, we eventually come up with standard for scoring to make it fair. Subjective scoring is like a slam-dunk contest. Its entertaining, but for more accurate measure of skill, ask them the players to do a 3 point competition to test their shooting skills, that&#8217;s kind of where this is going and it&#8217;s more of a fair way to score&#8230;I think. The Drift Trials in GT5 Prologue are pretty consistent on how they score and fun to play.

Nicely put 👍

I have to admit, there are more talented drifters out there than I expected!! As bias as a person can be (especially a driver!), everyone would like to think that they are the best. :sly:

In this case, I don't believe that the top score holders are necessarily the best... even if they are holding the lead by thousands of points. I honestly believe that the drift trials has flaws. For one, SPEED. Points seem to rack up when you mash on the gas and spew lots of smoke; over high entry and exit speeds. Lots of smoke = great exhibition, but do it in a tandem, and you'll get smoked!!

That said, I've come to the conclusion that the drift mode in GT5P is missing something... TANDEM. I have a strong feeling that PD will include it because for now, it is only called "TRIALS" (¿foreshadowing?). The drift trials is an awesome system that solo drifters can use to try to QUALIFY for TANDEM don't you agree? Like D1, they should have a "BEST 16" and have different seeds battle it out to make it to the "BEST 8" and so forth...

The drifting community is HUGE! And the format I'm suggesting will definitely pick apart the best of the best!! Imagine online voting polls as judges too? I think I'm getting far ahead of myself!! But hey... ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!! 💡
 
Z28, first of all, there is always a wink at the end of my posts. Famine has his indigo, I have my wink. Just a little trademark. Nothing to take personally. Furthermore, yes I was trying to get you to "continue the discussion" as it is a good one to bring up. Not to argue. You are the only one arguing.

Also, double (triple) posting is a big no no around here. It's a useless waste of bandwidth. Please edit your posts in the future.

There was nothing rude about my comments. They are opinions, which obviously a lot of people here share. We were having a nice discussion, and then you started to take everything so personal, and blew everything out of proportion. Drifting for points takes skill, which I said. However, it is my opinion that it does not take as much skill as performing a proper drift. You have your opinion, I have mine. Absolutely no reason to get but hurt over it.



Absolutely!

Good advice.



Also, if you start your drift way before the flags (which is what I would most likely be doing, because I love long entries), you don't receive points until after you have crossed the flags. Likewise, if you drift past the flags, again, you are not getting any points. This seemingly punishes people for performing longer drifts.

In closing, yes, The gentleman in the first post has skill. No one can take that away from him. He has obviously put in a lot of time and effort. However, drifting is and always will be "subjective", meaning opinions are going to vary wildly. Such is subjective sports. If you don't agree with the opinion, make a valid point. Otherwise you're just wasting space.



;)


lol, i made plenty of points, especially in my first long message. You know what you meant by your comments and i took it how i should have. Anyone can go back and forth on what they say in text and try to rephrase everything...Talk to you is a waste of time, because you will never admit that you did anything wrong. You will always be right and whats final...It's a waste of bandwidth having you explain every little detail in the conversation and you making me come back with a pointless conversation is also a waste. So, technically you did all of this...

But, I'm done. So, have a great time writing your next post, because i know you will want the final word. It would be better to talk to you in person, because i guarantee things would be different.

;)
 
Could it be perhaps that he is right? Could he maybe be that he knows what he meant, not you? Is it possible that you may have taken unintended offense?

Really, what makes you think you know his intentions better than he does? And also, what were you offended by in the first place (meaning an actual quote)?
 
My opinion:

Nailing the lines and clipping points, with speed and angle is what I believe the new standard for drift scoring is going towards. You see it happening now in Formula D and D1GP scoring. They mention the importance of clipping points. It’s a measure of accuracy. Accuracy is less subjective to argue as it’s plain as eye to see and this makes it possible to assign scores and how I see correctly being implement in the Drift Trials in GT5 Prologue.

While I don't fully disagree, I do think there are a few problems.

One problem being the scoring system itself. Some of the highest drifting scores are not performed by accurately "nailing" clipping points, and following a "good line". They are performed by finding just the right "angle", and just taking whatever speed they can through the turn, often with absolutely no fluidity whatsoever. Some of them would be laughed out of D1GP and Formula D. The scoring system is "fair" as it is a constant. Everyone who plays has to follow the same rigid rule set. However, it is inherently flawed, as it is so "rigid" that it can be easily fooled. This has been proven time and time again. Thankfully, not everyone is abusing this feature, and some people are at least trying to make it aesthetically pleasing as well (I would count the first video posted as the latter), but many are abusing it, and rightly so. If there is a loophole, people are generally going to capitalize on it.

However, I do agree that the implementation of electronic scoring "aids" are necessary to aid the judges in making a more fair judgment. I'm definitely not convinced they can do it alone (CPU, or Human).

I believe the most impressive skill of drifting is demonstrating the ability to control your drifts to follow a certain path …meaning meeting the entrance speed criteria, taking that line, and hitting that clipping point every time you make a run. I think this is the Drift Trials intention.

Definitely the intention, but as I said above, it is easily abused and manipulated.

Drifting as a sport is still new, but with anything that is new and judged or measured, we eventually come up with standard for scoring to make it fair.

This is the case, but not quite as you are thinking I'm afraid. Look at ice skating, gymnastics, etc... They are now, and have been for a hundred years judged by human eyes. They have streamlined and perfected the scoring criteria, and the application of. However, they always need human judges as it just isn't possible to judge "subjective" sports purely with CPU's.

The Drift Trials in GT5 Prologue are pretty consistent on how they score and fun to play.

Consistent, but easily exploitable. Yet, again, let me reiterate. It takes skill. Just not the same skill as what was considered "drifting" before such a scoring system existed.

The only thing missing is differentiating scoring for technique and grace. . The things in question are ebraking verses feint transitions, smooth countersteering verse erratic ones and entrance technique. When judging in real life competitions, these are taken into account.

Exactly. I think these things are incredibly important. Not something to leave out of consideration.

Very good points. Yet I just think a human being cannot be substituted in the case of "judging" a drifts caliber.




;)
 
Originally Posted by too cold
Like anything thats subjective, we all are entitled to our opinion. IMO there is no "best" for everyone. The guy is sic for sure but i've watched some jp videos online that not only have the highest score but even the "purests" that dont like the points system would admire. Perfect lines, smooth as silk & in an american car no less.
Don't know if you saw the sarcasm there... ;)
Lmao! You've got to be WAY more sarcastic than that! I sometimes visit a site with the word "faqs" in the url and see those kind of posts quite often... Except maybe with more "11101" & "b 4 u" in them. ;)
 
I was worried this would happen with the integration of "drift mode" into the GT series. To me drifting is all about style and the skill it takes to actually drift, not how many points I get. This is where things get mixed up. I know there are going to be people claiming "I am the best drifter!" just because they got xxx points, and they think they are the best. When in reality, looking at what drifting is really about, they are no where close. I am not trying to offend anyone as PD made this into a touchy subject. I can forsee a lot of 'discussions' in the near future about drifting, and I don't see it coming out very well.

You don't need any settings to drift, you can drift any RWD car stock. All it takes is practice and a little bit of skill. It is reccomended to start out with stock cars when learning to drift because you learn so much more than going straight into 600+hp cars. You learn the car, and proper techniques to drifting that way.

I hope to see FBI when GT5 comes out. I really miss the old days of FBI Widge and I tandem drifting. We were carbon copies of each other.

Im too pooor in english to elaborate my opinion, but im totally against the drift mode in GT, im drifting in GT series since GT2, like many others good drifter around here, most of new player dont know about all backgroung of drifting in GT series, all this start way before real drifting cames popular in America, and forget or simply dont know incredible guys like, Mike, Widge and Vince of team FBI, and no Suzuki, Team FBI dont do any GT5P drifting video for a simpe reason, i talk with Mike le chat noir few times and its quite buzy with is rap band and its new job, video editor for French car magazine MAXI Tuning, you can watch his video on Daylimotion. 👍

And many others like Suzuki, Breaker, and other member of DD still on top drifter, i cant forget IDM too, So before clamming a nobody as the best drifter on GT series, take some information, look around on net and learn more about the ART of drifting, not the sport...
 
yea i kinda got away from the whole drift trial.. doing more just time trials and online racing.. doing more practicing
 
Im too pooor in english to elaborate my opinion, but im totally against the drift mode in GT, im drifting in GT series since GT2, like many others good drifter around here, most of new player dont know about all backgroung of drifting in GT series, all this start way before real drifting cames popular in America, and forget or simply dont know incredible guys like, Mike, Widge and Vince of team FBI, and no Suzuki, Team FBI dont do any GT5P drifting video for a simpe reason, i talk with Mike le chat noir few times and its quite buzy with is rap band and its new job, video editor for French car magazine MAXI Tuning, you can watch his video on Daylimotion. 👍

And many others like Suzuki, Breaker, and other member of DD still on top drifter, i cant forget IDM too, So before clamming a nobody as the best drifter on GT series, take some information, look around on net and learn more about the ART of drifting, not the sport...
Well, its good to see that Mike and the gang are probably putting their skills into something useful. But no matter how much English you know, you should still voice out your opinion.
 
that is some mad drifting :D
 
Im too pooor in english to elaborate my opinion, but im totally against the drift mode in GT, im drifting in GT series since GT2, like many others good drifter around here, most of new player dont know about all backgroung of drifting in GT series, all this start way before real drifting cames popular in America, and forget or simply dont know incredible guys like, Mike, Widge and Vince of team FBI, and no Suzuki, Team FBI dont do any GT5P drifting video for a simpe reason, i talk with Mike le chat noir few times and its quite buzy with is rap band and its new job, video editor for French car magazine MAXI Tuning, you can watch his video on Daylimotion. 👍

And many others like Suzuki, Breaker, and other member of DD still on top drifter, i cant forget IDM too, So before clamming a nobody as the best drifter on GT series, take some information, look around on net and learn more about the ART of drifting, not the sport...

I figured thats what it was. I bet widge would go crazy in prologue with me tandeming! Ah the good ole days. Mike was a great video editor, so its good to see that being put to good use!
 
Thats very slick.
*wonders if nissan tuner works for driftbox...*
 
lo lno i dont work for them but driftbox is common knowledge for the RL drift enthusiast/fan.

im still dont know how their scoring system works.

http://www.driftbox.com/allhighsc50.html

must be some kind of speed/angle ratio but i would still like to know the equation
 
I found this guy on youtube, i don't think that anyone can drift like this guy.:scared:
and check out his old videos from GT3, GT4 and GT5.
this is the link to his youtube space, i guess you can call it.. haha

http://www.youtube.com/user/gtartisan33




Someone that can drift like that! It's gotta be the Drift King!!! haha

BTW...what kind of steering wheel/shifter is he using in his vids? I want one!
 
I don't care what the moderator said, that guy was awesome, what that person did was something few people can do, I as a Gran Turismo drifter know that.
 
i think if i get some more practice in and purchase the G25 it wouldnt be long until im doing it like that


but i definitely need some more practice on prologue, takes some getting used to:ouch:
 
Back