This makes interesting reading - "confirmed race ai phoney"

• Thread starter gslooney
  • 39 comments
I think it's just a bunch of gamers who actually have no idea what goes on and are making guesses and claims on minimal data. They seem to be taking problems with AI lap times and deducing some truly hilarious conclusions.

Those people who complain on the CM forum are either ballsy or stupid. You can see the split times the cars do, in live timing on the racing monitor.

They give racing gamers a bad name :ouch: ... I'm ignoring the comments purely because a) when someone comes up with a valid reason to disbelieve this "You can see the dots on the mini map when you pit". Someone has to shut him down like their brainwashed in believing the OP is right and b) all of a sudden this game is a "sham" and everyone must return it.

Anyone who has any experience with Codemasters knows that this is probably all true, read through the thread and you will see there are more issues than just what the OP had to say, very glad I didn't get this.

But as I've been taken in by Codemasters BS before, luckily I didn't bite this time......

Not to bothered if true anyway.

Qualifying is all about racing against the CLOCK. If the times posted are realistic to the difficulty and real life timings then im happy.

Loving this game by the way.

Not to bothered if true anyway.

Qualifying is all about racing against the CLOCK. If the times posted are realistic to the difficulty and real life timings then im happy.

Loving this game by the way.

Yeah, but it's not that simple !

The other opponents should also be racing against the clock ! If they aren't, whats the point? It might as well just be a time trial game, get rid of the A.I. and have an online leader board !

I still don't understand this issue? Is it a PC problem? When I run a Qualifying run the AI are on the track, I can see the split times on the live timing screen as well.

I think it's just a bunch of gamers who actually have no idea what goes on and are making guesses and claims on minimal data. They seem to be taking problems with AI lap times and deducing some truly hilarious conclusions.

I think you should read a little bit more into it Nigel.

It has been tested by multiple people, and they all confirmed the same problem. This is not the first time this has happened with a racing game, though. I remember that in the first GTR game there was a similar issue where when you finished a session and pressed "next session" the AI would've magically driven a lap 2 seconds better than your pole, even though the session was ended and everyone pitted in. I might also remember a same problem with Studio Liverpool's F1 2003 game for the PS2.

I still don't understand this issue? Is it a PC problem? When I run a Qualifying run the AI are on the track, I can see the split times on the live timing screen as well.

The problem is that on the live screen timings of the AI are being posted that are simply made up. This has been tested by players following those cars and posting times nowhere near the given times in the live timing tables.

Many people have been looking forward to this game for several years now, and even though it's Codemasters first F1 game they should've pushed the release date back a week or two to perform decent tests with the game and fix these. As of right now it looks like they are selling a beta game, which in my eyes is robbing people from their money by selling a product that is not giving the players the promised features and functions.

I will be getting this game, but only if there will be a patch released that fixes the already awfully broken game. The only fear I have is that they won't be bothered with a decent patch and focus on F1 2011. This would be disappointing since it damages their image and there are already many players who have said they are not bothering buying a Codemasters product again. Luckily, however, Codemasters are reported to be already working on a fix for this game.

That's quite interesting, one thing that's happened to me during my first career race at Bahrain on about lap 7 or 8 I caught up with Jenson Button & managed to pass him on the straight before the last corner. After we crossed the line I thought I saw in the corner of my eye that his lap time was quicker than mine, at the time I just thought that I was mistaken but maybe . . . :confused:

Sometimes your quali time will be 20 seconds under the lap record because sector 3 occasionally doesn't exist. Not the issue in this thread, but another nonetheless..

It's obvious this game is a major flop, just look at the state of their forums and how unhappy everyone is. It can't be considered a success imo.

I have no problem with what the A.I. do in qualy, my problem with the A.I. is in the races where they appear to be completely unaffected by fuel loads and are often a couple of seconds faster around a given track. Hope they fix this soon.

You can set a lap in qually then completely block the track to stop the other cars, then qually will finish and everyone automatically has there pre-set times regardless of what happened in the session. You can even trail cars and see that the times being posted for them are miles away from what the actual car did, qual is a complete fabrication and the race itself can be just as bad.

my post from another forum-

''Ha, just had a great one, started from pole and stayed ahead of button who was lapping 2.5s a lap faster then me (despite never actually gaining on me always about .5 behind), we pitted at the same time and I made it out first. By this time I was in second place as 3rd place man (vettel) had yet to pit.

He never did either.

Both button and I overtook vettel on the 4th lap to end. So the current order was-

Me
Button
Vettel (who started 8th, had the awesome strategy of never having a pit stop)

The race finished in this order.

I was so happy that I had for the first time put a consistent crash free race together that I almost didnt notice that the game gave the win to vettel. It gave the win to the guy who I could see behind both button and I while on the final straight.''

I just did the canadian GP i qualified on poll by about ,6 of a second(using a virgin car and hard settings) and during the race massa passed me and then just carried on pulling away even though i was setting times very close to my quali time and the 3rd place webber just kept falling behind.
It felt like the game decided that i wasn't going to win that race so it made massa quicker than what he was in quali and a lot quicker because he was about 4th.
I prefered F1:CE to this,i wish i kept my disc.

I just completed the first half of my first season and I am yet to post a sector-3 time on any track. I have been overtaken in the pits once where the AI car ghosted through me even though I was on the pit lane limiter.

It has been tested by multiple people, and they all confirmed the same problem. This is not the first time this has happened with a racing game, though. I remember that in the first GTR game there was a similar issue where when you finished a session and pressed "next session" the AI would've magically driven a lap 2 seconds better than your pole, even though the session was ended and everyone pitted in. I might also remember a same problem with Studio Liverpool's F1 2003 game for the PS2.

You're still not showing how there is a link between buggy lap times and the claims being made.

Quite honestly, I am losing hope with the codemasters forums and certain members here. Particularly people who have not played the game and have no idea what the game is like.

Maybe some of the times are phoney, but quite honestly I dont give a toss about lap times, the actual on track racing is superb with great battles, thats what matters.

Oh no... I've had much fun with this game already, but i suspected something like this. Something was off. I must stop reading game-forums, they ruin the experience :( Except for this forum of course:)

Quite honestly, I am losing hope with the codemasters forums and certain members here. Particularly people who have not played the game and have no idea what the game is like.

Maybe some of the times are phoney, but quite honestly I dont give a toss about lap times, the actual on track racing is superb with great battles, thats what matters.

Read a few posts above, where the guy crossed the line in 1st, and the game gave the win to another driver, yeah, sounds like superb racing to me !

Just have a read through this list of bugs ! These aren't even Beta testing issues !

Last edited:
I think we should just enjoy the game, and not be affected by others who feel they have been cheated by codies.

I think we should just enjoy the game, and not be affected by others who feel they have been cheated by codies.

That should read like this.....

"I think we should just enjoy the game, and not be affected by the fact that Codemasters are using us to Beta test their game"

I am almost glad GT5 has so many people nit picking, and thankfull that in this day and age there is still a few reputable companies who strive to do more than just make a quick buck, seriously though, how can people defend a company that releases a game with so many issues, time and time again?

I'm amazed that Codemasters are still trading, not for much longer if this is the best they can do, mind you if enough people are prepared to hand over their hard earned cash for such an abysmal piece of bug ridden software then what do you expect to get?

Then again, I'm betting that alot of the people defending Codemasters didn't actually earn the money themselves? Maybe Mummy or Daddy got it for them? In which case, there is no hope for us, Codemasters and the rest will continue to release broken games, enough people will blindly buy them and not give a toss about the bugs and glitches, and the viscous circle will continue.

We should all be very thankfull we have a company like PD, who take pride in their work, shame on you Codemasters.

Last edited:

The problem is that on the live screen timings of the AI are being posted that are simply made up. This has been tested by players following those cars and posting times nowhere near the given times in the live timing tables.

Many people have been looking forward to this game for several years now, and even though it's Codemasters first F1 game they should've pushed the release date back a week or two to perform decent tests with the game and fix these. As of right now it looks like they are selling a beta game, which in my eyes is robbing people from their money by selling a product that is not giving the players the promised features and functions.

I will be getting this game, but only if there will be a patch released that fixes the already awfully broken game. The only fear I have is that they won't be bothered with a decent patch and focus on F1 2011. This would be disappointing since it damages their image and there are already many players who have said they are not bothering buying a Codemasters product again. Luckily, however, Codemasters are reported to be already working on a fix for this game.

wait... so you haven't actually played the game? And you are believing what these fools on the cm forum are saying? Sure the game has loads of rubber banding but that makes it fun in my book. :) If the forums are putting people off buying the game, all i will say is... if you are a fan of racing games and a fan of f1 get this game!

check this then http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/5724/f1lol.jpg

how can you be nearly 4 secs slower on 1st lap and still be in first place ?? (Monaco in Wet)
I'd like to know 👎

btw, I still love the racing, it will keep me happy for a few weeks till GT5 in Nov

Perfectly plausible with buggy lap times, but that's not the only claims people are making. Thus my point.

Then again, I'm betting that alot of the people defending Codemasters didn't actually earn the money themselves? Maybe Mummy or Dadday got it for them? In which case, there is no hope for us, Codemasters and the rest will continue to release broken games, enough people will blindly buy them and not give a toss about the bugs and glitches, and the viscous circle will continue.

Actually I got mine through working in the same industry as Codies, so maybe some us actually understand how these things happen?

It's not that we don't give a toss about the bugs, nor do Codies, it's just a matter of fact for whatever reason that it is buggy. Maybe there were marketing constraints, not only is missing an announced release date bad practice, but they want to get improved sales because the season is still in place. If it were to have released, say in January, sales would be a smidgen of what they will be and the series will have died before it even started. It's so easy to break something and people just don't understand this.

Also, I'll be laughing at you when GT5 brings out 3 or 4 patches, like every other game out there! Majority of games aren't decent until the 3rd or 4th patch. Gamers are demanding bigger games on better platforms, yet want even less bugs. Even with a decent sized QA team (internal or external) you cannot get the amount of man hours a global release will get. It's how the industry is moving forward, and with platforms better designed for patching, it's making games better.

A comparison with PD is so far off the mark as well.

I had a funny observation. I drove as Webber and waited for 1 lap so others can overtake me for 1 lap ... blue flags bla bla bla and I let the first one (Vettel) to overtake, but interesting is this that he, in the same car, flew away from me but I was pushing really hard to maintain the pace but I couldn't. Even slower cars overtook me easily ...

I had a funny observation. I drove as Webber and waited for 1 lap so others can overtake me for 1 lap ... blue flags bla bla bla and I let the first one (Vettel) to overtake, but interesting is this that he, in the same car, flew away from me but I was pushing really hard to maintain the pace but I couldn't. Even slower cars overtook me easily ...

Proving what?

Yeah, but it's not that simple !

The other opponents should also be racing against the clock ! If they aren't, whats the point? It might as well just be a time trial game, get rid of the A.I. and have an online leader board !

To me qualy is just a time trial.

I know where your coming from though, it would have been nice to have dynamic times.

You're still not showing how there is a link between buggy lap times and the claims being made.

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...l-i-times-indeed-fake-t4rg4-twitter-post.html

Maybe there were marketing constraints, not only is missing an announced release date bad practice, but they want to get improved sales because the season is still in place. If it were to have released, say in January, sales would be a smidgen of what they will be and the series will have died before it even started. It's so easy to break something and people just don't understand this.

Yeah, looks like the improved sales method is working...

I rather wait another month for a complete game rather than a company rushing out a game which hasn't been tested properly. Pushing a release date back isn't nearly giving you a worse image than to release this kind of software.

Take GT5 as an example; People have been waiting 5 years, but now that we are being served with its features, the waiting time isn't even being mentioned anymore. Codemasters just should've damned put the release date back a month or two and release a proper game. I can already assure you their F1 2011 won't be anything close to a success if they don't do something immediately.

Wow, I have to say the way this game has turned out and the community's reaction to it has been unimaginable. Personally, I think i'm in love with the game, but I acknowledge that it it has been released with a staggering amount of bugs. I can't believe the level of negativity though about the game in general. I was as cynical as most people about the game prior to release but I think Codemasters have produced their best game since the TOCA days, and yet half of the community seems to have turned against CM, mainly because of the bugs. My attitude is that these bugs will be fixed, so I can get over it.

Back