Threshold Braking doesn't seem to work in Prologue...

• Thread starter JackB
  • 54 comments
Honestly, I kind of felt the same way. We could talk about weight transfer, weight balance, brake bias, rebound, damping, shock stiffness, tire pressure, whether the road was perfectly flat etc.

All of those things are factors in how quickly a car brakes or whether ABS is needed etc., but I agree it's muddying the waters.

The basic issue is that on a flat road (Suzuka's front straight) in Prologue on dry pavement, why is it that the car seems to stop in the identical distance with 100% brake pressure compared to ABS.

I slammed the brakes and viewed this from the outside the car view. The tires smoked instantly and squealed from the start. I would have to believe the GT-R had lost traction at that instant and skidded to a stop. Should the brakes have instantly smoked? Should the tires have instantly locked up? I would think they would in real life as well as in Prologue.

The burning question I have is why wouldn't I have slid way way way past my ABS stop with 100% lockup and screaming brakes? That's the big question. Why not slam the brakes every time on a straight if you stop in the same distance. Tire wear isn't an issue in Prologue.

I still believe the skidding GT-R should not have stopped as quickly as the ABS stop. I just figured a skidding car has lost traction and would skid for a greater distance.

Scaff, are you saying the skidding car stops just as quickly as one utilizing ABS with a GT-R? Remember, I gave the exact marks, car, transmission etc I used so you could replicate my tests. Does that make sense to you? It still doesn't to me. It's an honest question.

It does appear that threshold braking works from reading more posts. I've used it consistently in other sims and it just didn't feel right in some of the cars I was driving. Although, I'm loving the G25 wheel, Microsoft's wheel had a vibration that intensified as you reached the edge. This made it much easier to feel the proper point for threshold braking and losing traction on turns. The G25 has a much more solid feel though, so I'm happy with it too. Anyway, my initial thoughts about threshold braking came from the 100% lockup skidding. I'm used to seeing cars lockup and skid for 30% or more distance than a car that didn't lock. I don't know how many times I've seen cars skid past me in other sims. My tests just don't seem right with the GT-R. It just feels like it should be skidding way past the ABS marks. Try it yourself.

And I'd like to say thank you for continuing to contribute to this discussion. I enjoy learning more about racing and the physics of racing. My first racing game was Indy 500 on the PC back in the 80's. They get better every year, but they still leave out certain calculations. Some on purpose to make it more accessable for the masses, others, because they screw up or don't get around to it and others still, because they don't have the processing power to calculate everything, so they cheat a bit.

Prologue has been a blast to play, I just want to understand more about how they model some of the cars behavior.

OK as I have been using a few different cars I have now had a chance to try the GT-R at Suzuka and used exactly your criteria. First thing I have to say is I don't like the track for this test, the start finish straight is not flat (quite far from it) and the position of the start line close to the previous corner makes hitting a set speed a royal pain.

I picked a speed of 60mph to brake down from and I have to say that the conditions mentioned above make it also impossible to brake at the right point and speed consistently.

Given that I must admit that I then switched tracks to one that I have used for testing before, the High Speed Ring. It has a wide and long start finish straight which is close to flat, and most importantly a long straight before the start line. This made getting the car to a fixed speed (again 60mph) and holding it a doddle and as such hitting the brakes at the right point was much easier.

I've just finished 20 runs each of ABS full braking and Non-ABS full braking and using the track side markers I have to say I found consistently that the ABS braking runs stopped slightly shorter.

The trackside has a number of advertising hoardings on them, with concrete sections before that (this is on the right hand side of the track) and the ABS runs stopped an average of 1.5 concrete sections before the hoarding, with the Non-ABS runs stopping an average of 1 concrete section before the hoarding. While its hard to be exact I would guesstimate that half of one of these concrete sections is about 1/4 of the length of a GT-R, but I would have to say that it consistently stopped the car shorter with the ABS on.

The only conclusion I can make about this is the nature of the start line at Suzuka just makes it overly difficult to consistently hit the brake market (start line) at the same time and speed for every run. Give the High Speed Ring a go, I think you will find it a much easier place to test.

On a related note I have been playing around with Brake Bias a lot tonight (as part of my testing for revised GT5:P tuning guides) and boy has this moved on a lot from previous GT's. If you want some fun turn the ABS off on a car and set to brake bias to 1 Front and 10 Rear. If you are going at anything approaching fast and hit the brakes (even in a straight line) the back of the car steps out as the rears lock with the fronts still gripping. Its damn good news as this is exactly the way it should behave (and why I still maintain that if you want to test threshold braking you have to get the brake bias right first).

Regards

Scaff

OK as I have been using a few different cars I have now had a chance to try the GT-R at Suzuka and used exactly your criteria. First thing I have to say is I don't like the track for this test, the start finish straight is not flat (quite far from it) and the position of the start line close to the previous corner makes hitting a set speed a royal pain.

I picked a speed of 60mph to brake down from and I have to say that the conditions mentioned above make it also impossible to brake at the right point and speed consistently.

Given that I must admit that I then switched tracks to one that I have used for testing before, the High Speed Ring. It has a wide and long start finish straight which is close to flat, and most importantly a long straight before the start line. This made getting the car to a fixed speed (again 60mph) and holding it a doddle and as such hitting the brakes at the right point was much easier.

I've just finished 20 runs each of ABS full braking and Non-ABS full braking and using the track side markers I have to say I found consistently that the ABS braking runs stopped slightly shorter.

The trackside has a number of advertising hoardings on them, with concrete sections before that (this is on the right hand side of the track) and the ABS runs stopped an average of 1.5 concrete sections before the hoarding, with the Non-ABS runs stopping an average of 1 concrete section before the hoarding. While its hard to be exact I would guesstimate that half of one of these concrete sections is about 1/4 of the length of a GT-R, but I would have to say that it consistently stopped the car shorter with the ABS on.

The only conclusion I can make about this is the nature of the start line at Suzuka just makes it overly difficult to consistently hit the brake market (start line) at the same time and speed for every run. Give the High Speed Ring a go, I think you will find it a much easier place to test.

On a related note I have been playing around with Brake Bias a lot tonight (as part of my testing for revised GT5:P tuning guides) and boy has this moved on a lot from previous GT's. If you want some fun turn the ABS off on a car and set to brake bias to 1 Front and 10 Rear. If you are going at anything approaching fast and hit the brakes (even in a straight line) the back of the car steps out as the rears lock with the fronts still gripping. Its damn good news as this is exactly the way it should behave (and why I still maintain that if you want to test threshold braking you have to get the brake bias right first).

Regards

Scaff

Thanks for taking the time to test. I just did some Forza 2 tests on Suzuka in the same spot with the '06 Corvette. I stopped shorter with ABS, but it wasn't significantly shorter. Maybe 10% or so. I used the same approach. TCS on and full throttle from a dead start. I did a few practice runs and my speed at the marker was always within 114 to 116 mph, so I still think that is the best way to nail the speed. I also had a hard time trying to keep a constant speed and nail the brake point when I tried to modulate my speed on the run in. I was more consistent using TCS and gunning it from a standing start.

Anyway, it seems the ABS stops shorter, but not by a lot. I was surprised it was only 10% in Forza 2 and your results in Prologue are about the same. I learned something from all of this. If you don't need to turn, slamming on the brakes can work fine without ABS. With ABS slamming on the brakes will work even better.

Threshold braking is worse if you blow it and better if you don't. Weight transfer is smoother with threshold braking too, so there are more advantages than just stopping distance. Of course letting the car settle before any braking helps too, but that's for another discussion. So many things are connected. It's all about balance and grip.

I never was a slam on the brakes guy, so I just assumed it was much worse than it is. Sad to know actually. Brute force has it's place. I'd say ABS and slamming on the brakes isn't a bad approach for the majority of drivers, since threshold braking is difficult and risky (i.e. you can overshoot pretty easily, thereby wiping out any advantage). It depends on how Prologue calculates tire temperatures and the resulting effects.

Scaff, what do you know about how Prologue handles tire temperatures. Was that a factor in GT 4? In many sims the tires lose grip beyond peak temperature. 100% brakes and skidding heats them up much quicker, thus when you hit the turn after braking you're more likely to go beyond their peak. If that isn't calculated in Prologue then brute force braking could work fine for most drivers.

I wonder if GT5 would model flat spots :) If they do then locking your brakes will mess up your tires and (I think) maybe lead to a blown tire like LFS. That would be really sim like.

I'm sorry I have to post this, but Scaff, you were be counter productive. What JackB is was trying to say is..... (car A and Car B are the same make and model without ABS. Car A is driven by a pro, and B is driven by 16 year old learners premit kid. Both drag race down a straight line, then both brake at the same time. Car A brakes like a professonal would, while B slams on the brakes locking all four tires up, yet they both stop in the same distances.) This would never happen IRL. I know I'm a noob, but this is what I see in his orginal (sp?) post.

what you will not find here are poor quality threads that descend into abuse and flaming matches.

err is this not an "intellectual" power struggle and gotten quite OT? This leads to poor quality threads and is quite passive aggressive, which in turn, could be perceived in interesting ways from new people like myself just joining the page. Even more so when it involves a "super moderator" as one of the participants...

Thanks for taking the time to test. I just did some Forza 2 tests on Suzuka in the same spot with the '06 Corvette. I stopped shorter with ABS, but it wasn't significantly shorter. Maybe 10% or so. I used the same approach. TCS on and full throttle from a dead start. I did a few practice runs and my speed at the marker was always within 114 to 116 mph, so I still think that is the best way to nail the speed. I also had a hard time trying to keep a constant speed and nail the brake point when I tried to modulate my speed on the run in. I was more consistent using TCS and gunning it from a standing start.

Anyway, it seems the ABS stops shorter, but not by a lot. I was surprised it was only 10% in Forza 2 and your results in Prologue are about the same. I learned something from all of this. If you don't need to turn, slamming on the brakes can work fine without ABS. With ABS slamming on the brakes will work even better.

Threshold braking is worse if you blow it and better if you don't. Weight transfer is smoother with threshold braking too, so there are more advantages than just stopping distance. Of course letting the car settle before any braking helps too, but that's for another discussion. So many things are connected. It's all about balance and grip.

I never was a slam on the brakes guy, so I just assumed it was much worse than it is. Sad to know actually. Brute force has it's place. I'd say ABS and slamming on the brakes isn't a bad approach for the majority of drivers, since threshold braking is difficult and risky (i.e. you can overshoot pretty easily, thereby wiping out any advantage). It depends on how Prologue calculates tire temperatures and the resulting effects.

Scaff, what do you know about how Prologue handles tire temperatures. Was that a factor in GT 4? In many sims the tires lose grip beyond peak temperature. 100% brakes and skidding heats them up much quicker, thus when you hit the turn after braking you're more likely to go beyond their peak. If that isn't calculated in Prologue then brute force braking could work fine for most drivers.

Nice to hear that the results from Forza 2 seem to corroborate GT5:P's results, and I can understand why you would have expected the difference to be greater. It could I suppose be considered one of the automotive 'urban myths' of which quite a few exist and a lot of them do seem to revolve around braking.

In regard to Prologue handling tyre temp, I have not yet seen any evidence of it being modelled. However it was modelled (in a basic but usable form) in GT4 and did have an effect on tyre grip in all areas, and I would be surprised if it didn't make a return in the full GT5. To a degree I would agree that this does allow drivers to simply use brute force braking in GT5:P, as long as they are braking in a straight line. Throw in a situation involving late braking into a corner, locked brakes, a lack of steering and a trip into the gravel and I think it will put most who don't want to learn right off.

You are also spot on with your summary of threshold braking, get it right and the rewards are great, get it wrong and its a nightmare. Little wonder that most branches of motorsport don't allow the use of ABS, puts the need for skill right back with the driver.

I wonder if GT5 would model flat spots :) If they do then locking your brakes will mess up your tires and (I think) maybe lead to a blown tire like LFS. That would be really sim like.
I would certainly hope so, as JackB has pointed out locked brakes now exist in the GT world, so so realistic penalties for them would be a great inclusion.

Given that we are getting damage, then blown tyres would be a great addition (come on PD if they could do it in TRD3 then so can you).

I'm sorry I have to post this, but Scaff, you were be counter productive. What JackB is was trying to say is..... (car A and Car B are the same make and model without ABS. Car A is driven by a pro, and B is driven by 16 year old learners premit kid. Both drag race down a straight line, then both brake at the same time. Car A brakes like a professonal would, while B slams on the brakes locking all four tires up, yet they both stop in the same distances.) This would never happen IRL. I know I'm a noob, but this is what I see in his orginal (sp?) post.
Please read through the entire thread, because that is only the opening post and the discussion goes far beyond that.

Anyway the main point was not that threshold braking vs lock-up showed little difference (we both agreed early on that threshold braking stops you shorter); rather that ABS braking vs lock-up showed little difference in overall stopping distance.

Something that both of us have agreed is modelled in two games (GT5:P and Forza 2) and is backed up by real world evidence and the physics involved.

err is this not an "intellectual" power struggle and gotten quite OT? This leads to poor quality threads and is quite passive aggressive, which in turn, could be perceived in interesting ways from new people like myself just joining the page. Even more so when it involves a "super moderator" as one of the participants...
Take a good around these boards, many of the best discussion threads around involve heated discussion and disagreement (take a look at the Creation vs Evolution thread) its a natural part of debate and discussion. As long as the AUP is not violated and the post relates to the topic of the thread (which may I point out this one does not) its not a problem.

As you honestly saying that any thread that gets heated in its discussion and in-depth in regard to the subject matter is a poor post? That I find a rather strange statement, have you ever been involved in debating? In addition if a technical subject is being discussed (and automotive physics certainly qualifies) then its quite likely that its going to get involved.

My status as a moderator he is also totally irrelevant to this, my posting style was no different before I took the role and if you feel any of my posts step outside the AUP then use the report button. What I personally would not accept is my status here dictating what and how I get involved in discussions; the day that happens is the day I quit as a mod. I would not leave GTP, but the reason for me being here is the discussion.

Now can we please bring this back on topic now.

Scaff

Edited to add - I'm moving this to the Set-up and Tuning section as that would be a more appropriate home for it.

Actually, he isn't. He's engaging in a quite interesting intellectual discussion with JackB. Both Scaff and JackB have gotten over their initial encounter and are now actually trading notes, like good debaters should, while a lot of noobs keep coming in, calling him arrogant. Thank your lucky stars that Scaff is a decent soul and is not taking offense, but if I were in his place, I'd be getting a little miffed. He and JackB are already off the issue. I suggest you guys do the same. Scaff may come across as quite heavy when discussing techical matters like this, but that's because he knows his stuff.

Threshold versus Lock-up braking does make a difference in real-life, but the amount of difference depends (as Scaff has said) on tire compounds, driver skill, absolute grip and even brake bias. I remember from ten years ago or so, there was a test in a major magazine comparing lock-up to threshold braking to ABS, and the magazine found that on their chosen tire compound and car, they couldn't get shorter distances out of threshold, at all... in fact, in their test (this was old school ABS, mind)... lock-up was fastest in all conditions except on the wet track, where ABS ruled.

But this doesn't apply to all situations. Personally, I've seen ABS systems that provide worse stopping distances than lock-up and ABS systems that are much faster. As for how this relates to threshold braking... well... it's a feel thing, isn't it? And unless Logitech gives us a brake pedal that hardens, softens, pulses, etcetera, there's not much guarantee that we're doing threshold braking right... right?

Scaff, just wanted to say I gained a ton of respect for you from this thread and how you handled yourself. Thanks.

Nice to hear that the results from Forza 2 seem to corroborate GT5:P's results, and I can understand why you would have expected the difference to be greater. It could I suppose be considered one of the automotive 'urban myths' of which quite a few exist and a lot of them do seem to revolve around braking.

Urban myth is a great way to put it. I learned a lot about lockups. A technique I've avoided like the plague. And probably still will, but it's good to know it does stop you quickly.

I would certainly hope so, as JackB has pointed out locked brakes now exist in the GT world, so so realistic penalties for them would be a great inclusion.

Given that we are getting damage, then blown tyres would be a great addition (come on PD if they could do it in TRD3 then so can you).

That would be a fantastic addition. I'd love to see flat spots and their effects on handling/bumpy ride taken into account. The subsequent blown tire risk would be a great teacher for the new drivers to keep brute force braking from owning some top times on the scoreboards etc. It would seem to be a very easy calculation and wouldn't require the kind of graphical damage work, that PD is concerned with... Hope it makes it into GT 5.

Actually, he isn't. He's engaging in a quite interesting intellectual discussion with JackB. Both Scaff and JackB have gotten over their initial encounter and are now actually trading notes, like good debaters should, while a lot of noobs keep coming in, calling him arrogant. Thank your lucky stars that Scaff is a decent soul and is not taking offense, but if I were in his place, I'd be getting a little miffed. He and JackB are already off the issue. I suggest you guys do the same. Scaff may come across as quite heavy when discussing techical matters like this, but that's because he knows his stuff.

Agreed. Scaff handled himself well.

Threshold versus Lock-up braking does make a difference in real-life, but the amount of difference depends (as Scaff has said) on tire compounds, driver skill, absolute grip and even brake bias. I remember from ten years ago or so, there was a test in a major magazine comparing lock-up to threshold braking to ABS, and the magazine found that on their chosen tire compound and car, they couldn't get shorter distances out of threshold, at all... in fact, in their test (this was old school ABS, mind)... lock-up was fastest in all conditions except on the wet track, where ABS ruled.

Those results were the ones we were looking for, but they're very hard to find. Interesting stuff. I can believe it after my informal tests.

But this doesn't apply to all situations. Personally, I've seen ABS systems that provide worse stopping distances than lock-up and ABS systems that are much faster. As for how this relates to threshold braking... well... it's a feel thing, isn't it? And unless Logitech gives us a brake pedal that hardens, softens, pulses, etcetera, there's not much guarantee that we're doing threshold braking right... right?

You nailed it. Over the years, I've done all kinds of things to the brake pedals to make threshold braking easier. I've put spongy type materials under the pedal to give it a different resistance at a certain point in the pedal travel. I've even used two different materials to give it 3 different feels for the full travel. I've tried a bunch of different springs behind the pedals. Currently, I've settled on bungie cords of different strengths attached to the Microsoft pedals and to the center bar of the Playseat. It's better, no where near perfect....

Unfortunately, none of that really works like the feel of real brakes. What's required is a brake pedal with a motor, that applies different levels of force and vibration. The game manufacturer (PD, Turn 10 etc.) have to actually deliiver the data and Logitech etc, have to have the motor to deliver the effects to the pedal. I'd pay another $60-100 to get those pedals. Here's to hoping.

One last thing on that subject. When I was doing my tests yesterday in Forza 2, I remembered some differences in the G25 vs Microsoft wheel. Forza 2 gives feedback on traction to the wheel. As your tire gets closer to breaking free the wheel vibrates slightly. It gives you one more piece of feedback needed for driving on the edge and theshold braking.

The G25 doesn't have this traction vibration, so it's making my driving on the edge much harder.

Both the G25 and the Microsoft Wheel give stronger feedback in wheel resistance for increasing/decreasing traction, which is helpful, but it's difficult to know when you'll break free without the vibration. I prefer the G25 for this wheel tension, because it's almost twice as strong and on that aspect if feels better, I just wish it had the vibration as well. It does have much better/stronger feel with the pedals. That's why I needed the bungie cords and spongy materials with the Microsoft wheel. I needed a stronger feel to the pedals.

Both wheels could use the vibration in the brake pedal and even better the motors in the brake pedal. That's nirvana. Hope it happens.

The other thing I love about the G25 is the 900 degrees of motion and the wheel spinning in my hands after a spin. The Microsoft Wheel centers itself as well, but it's not as satisfying with only 270 degrees of motion and the weaker resistance of the wheel.

The G25/PD could use Turn 10's vibration feedback to the wheel. The Microsoft wheel could use the G25's better feeling pedals, 900 degrees of motion and stonger motors. It's $125 vs $300, so you get what you pay for I suppose.

Until these brake pedals get better threshold braking in video games will be a pretty significant challenge in driving simulations. Like most things, we need some help, because we can't actually feel G forces sitting at home. Unless, you want to buy that $24,000 simulator I last year that works with LFS.

I think for the average driver, breaking a bit early and bleeding off speed a bit slower will make it easer to nail the perfect, entry, mid and exit speed on a corner and subsequently give a better racing line. They'll be more consistent as a result even. They'll lose a little by hitting the brake marker earlier than they could by slamming on the brakes, but they'll nail their speeds better and be more consistent.

I wish they'd add flat spots and blown tires though. That would eliminate the brute force breakers. Assuming PD would have the blown tire happen in 3 laps! :)

Both Scaff and JackB have gotten over their initial encounter and are now actually trading notes, like good debaters should...

Have to agree with that, I was initially a bit defensive towards JackB, it seemed as if Scaff was ignoring JackB's basic point, but the fact they've both acted so maturely has led to a really good discussion.

I too was initially surprised that lock-up vs ABS doesn't result in much better stopping distances for ABS, but I suppose in a straight line, the difference won't be that massive.

A good read anyway, thanks to both of you.

Those results were the ones we were looking for, but they're very hard to find. Interesting stuff. I can believe it after my informal tests.

They're almost impossible to find online... buried under the tons of fluff that come up on search engines nowadays. I think the original tests were either in Road&Track or Car&Driver back in the mid-90's... before they were active on the web. You could find it given time, but it'll take a while.

----

As for the wheels... I'd give it time. GT5 might have the more detailed forcefeedback model... as it is... GT5P only tells you about rumble strips. There's the occassional kick as the car starts drifting or when it "snaps", but yeah, having that buzz to tell you when you're at the edge of adhesion would be great. (but now completely OT).

----

But on-topic... a pulsing pedal would be great. A fully motorized pedal that softens, stiffens, begins to feel like wood when your pads are glazed, and chatters on ABS-activation would be heavenly. Still a long time coming, I guess. I'm just happy that the new pedals are stiffer (though, as you've said, not really stiff enough)... and I'd like them to fix that damn floppy shifter... it's a pain to use.

As for the wheels... I'd give it time. GT5 might have the more detailed forcefeedback model... as it is... GT5P only tells you about rumble strips. There's the occassional kick as the car starts drifting or when it "snaps", but yeah, having that buzz to tell you when you're at the edge of adhesion would be great. (but now completely OT).

Yeah, that's the only area where I think the MS Wheel has an edge over the G25. The G25 is much more solidly built, has 900 degrees of motion, stronger wheel tension and better pedals, but it could really use the subtle vibrations of the MS Wheel. Does GT Prologue send that data to the other wheels or is it just a Forza thing? If so, PD should include that in GT 5, because it's really helpful.

But on-topic... a pulsing pedal would be great. A fully motorized pedal that softens, stiffens, begins to feel like wood when your pads are glazed, and chatters on ABS-activation would be heavenly. Still a long time coming, I guess. I'm just happy that the new pedals are stiffer (though, as you've said, not really stiff enough)... and I'd like them to fix that damn floppy shifter... it's a pain to use.

Yeah, that would be heaven. I was driving around today and playing with the brake and gas trying to imagine how to emulate that feeling with just springs (maybe multipe springs per pedal) or sponges etc. It's very easy to keep a steady speed in a real car, but with the G25 pedals etc, it's tough to do. No sure exactly why that is, but I hope they invest in more expensive and sophisticated pedals. I'd pay for it... :)

The basic issue is that on a flat road (Suzuka's front straight) in Prologue on dry pavement, why is it that the car seems to stop in the identical distance with 100% brake pressure compared to ABS.

I slammed the brakes and viewed this from the outside the car view. The tires smoked instantly and squealed from the start. I would have to believe the GT-R had lost traction at that instant and skidded to a stop. Should the brakes have instantly smoked? Should the tires have instantly locked up? I would think they would in real life as well as in Prologue.

The burning question I have is why wouldn't I have slid way way way past my ABS stop with 100% lockup and screaming brakes? That's the big question. Why not slam the brakes every time on a straight if you stop in the same distance. Tire wear isn't an issue in Prologue.

Hello again Scaff, hello all newcomers to the "Great Braking Debate" here on GTP. :)

I'd say that the short answer to JackB's question is that ever since GT3 (when I started), Gran Turismo simulates threshold braking for you when you slam on the brakes 100% while driving in a straight line.

It's simplistic, it's stupid, it's easier for the masses to drive without skidding all over the place.

Yes, GT5p makes it look like you are smoking your tires, but its simulator slows you down like you were threshold braking anyway.

Do it in a turn, however, and you will go spinning off!

I'm not sure, but I believe that the current patch has the option of turning off this feature. While previous GTs have had ABS = 0 set at simulated threshold brake or ABS = 0.5, GT5P finally has the option to set ABS at absolute zero. Correct me if I'm wrong, though... I can't tell... my copy is still Chinese. I'm still in the process of getting my English copy.

Yeah, that's the only area where I think the MS Wheel has an edge over the G25. The G25 is much more solidly built, has 900 degrees of motion, stronger wheel tension and better pedals, but it could really use the subtle vibrations of the MS Wheel. Does GT Prologue send that data to the other wheels or is it just a Forza thing? If so, PD should include that in GT 5, because it's really helpful.

It's a wait-and-see. Since this is Prologue, it's still not final spec. In fact, I felt that GT4 and the DFP had more feedback, but that might be a trick of memory (I own a G25, but I've only used the DFP on other people's systems). Let's hope they do.

Yeah, that would be heaven. I was driving around today and playing with the brake and gas trying to imagine how to emulate that feeling with just springs (maybe multipe springs per pedal) or sponges etc. It's very easy to keep a steady speed in a real car, but with the G25 pedals etc, it's tough to do. No sure exactly why that is, but I hope they invest in more expensive and sophisticated pedals. I'd pay for it... :)

Resistance, I guess. But there's also the vestibular feedback from your inner-ear, which is what helps you moderate your speed. Impossible to replicate without a chair.

There's good news on the horizon, somewat... many modern cars have electrically actuated throttle pedals and brake pedals. And these are even less linear and responsive than the G25. So far, the Civic's the worst on the brake side, but almost all electronic throttle cars I've driven have a very futzy response logic. And obviously, a lot of electric steering racks have no feedback at all. Hallelujah! Reality is dumbing itself down to meet video games... :lol:

Hello again Scaff, hello all newcomers to the "Great Braking Debate" here on GTP. :)

I'd say that the short answer to JackB's question is that ever since GT3 (when I started), Gran Turismo simulates threshold braking for you when you slam on the brakes 100% while driving in a straight line.

It's simplistic, it's stupid, it's easier for the masses to drive without skidding all over the place.

Yes, GT5p makes it look like you are smoking your tires, but its simulator slows you down like you were threshold braking anyway.

Do it in a turn, however, and you will go spinning off!

Wow a name I haven't seen on here in quite a while, hope you are doing well.

Your right that in all part versions of the series threshold braking was basically done for you, however (as Niky quite rightly says) we now have the option to turn the ABS right off, meaning true lock up is possiable and threshold braking has to be done by the driver. As a result the set-up of brake bias has become (with ABS off) far more important and a heavy rear bias will give a car that will try and swap ends even under straight-line braking.

I'm not sure, but I believe that the current patch has the option of turning off this feature. While previous GTs have had ABS = 0 set at simulated threshold brake or ABS = 0.5, GT5P finally has the option to set ABS at absolute zero. Correct me if I'm wrong, though... I can't tell... my copy is still Chinese. I'm still in the process of getting my English copy.

100% correct, ABS set to 0 turns it right the way off.

Regards

Scaff

Hi Scaff,

Yeah, about 2yrs since I played with GTP in online races. I've downloaded GT HD and GT JPN versions, and had a bit of fun with them, but now I'm really psyched about GT5p.

Yes! I have found the ABS 0 setting (only accessible after you get the A-license? I was pretty sure I had turned off all aids before... but now...) Whoa! No more 'free' threshold braking. In fact, with only one night to test it, I had a very hard time keeping the braking anywhere near optimum...

gotta start playing around again.

Hi Scaff,

Yeah, about 2yrs since I played with GTP in online races. I've downloaded GT HD and GT JPN versions, and had a bit of fun with them, but now I'm really psyched about GT5p.

Yes! I have found the ABS 0 setting (only accessible after you get the A-license? I was pretty sure I had turned off all aids before... but now...) Whoa! No more 'free' threshold braking. In fact, with only one night to test it, I had a very hard time keeping the braking anywhere near optimum...

gotta start playing around again.

The ABS setting is available from the outset of the game, if you have the controls for the on the fly adjustments mapped to your controller.
This is not just available on the new logitech wheel.
I use a G25 and have these controls mapped to the d pad, run one event to get the settings you require, then restart to use or just adjust as you race.
Not sure if their are enough free buttons to map to the sixaxis as ive never used it, but have a look in the control options and see if you can come up with a button layout that works.
You the get access to all the on the fly adjustments, if your skilled enough you can even adjust between turns!!

I registerd here some time ago, but I never really looked around very good.
First of all, thanks to Scaff & JackB for giving me an overload of info, although it wasn't probably their original intention. And thanks for being smart, polite and mature people. (Which makes me feel a bit out of place here. :nervous:)

GT5:Prologue is my second GT game, and the first one i'm actually going to try and get into it, in preperation for GT5.
I also ordered the G25 yesterday, so i'm hoping it wil help me give a more "natural" feeling.

I'm still wondering, people who treshold brake and people who let the game treshold brake for them (leaving ABS on)... Are the latter ones going to have a big disadvantage or not? How much better can a person treshold brake then some computer calculations do it for them?
Is it just a personal challenge or a belief that a simulator should be played like one?

P.S.
In RL I don't drive a car, basicly because i'm a little bit afraid of the responsebility of handling such a thing. But reading all of this, it gave me a better understanding of how some things work, and why. Things they don't explain to you in the few hours/months you spend learning how to drive.

Hello everyone!
Great Discussion here... A L O T to digest (i skimmed/skipped some) but here is MY angle...

1st of all ABS is supposed to mean "Anti-Lock Brakes" but if you go to the in game manual and go under the "driving options" menu and scroll down ABS is termed "Active Braking" it states:
Adjusts the level of active braking, which reduces understeer when braking through corners by controlling the front brakes

so like stated earlier ABS is for braking in the corners and has no effect or affect on straight, strait line braking. (pun) it controls the FRONT brakes because, like scaff says, those suckers lock up... then you can't steer. and i dont recomend braking + steering at the same time, sometimes its unavoidable. I could go on and on, and people have obviously went on and on about this but,

BOTTOM LINE: ABS isn't the real world Anti-lock Brakes. ABS in the game makes it so you can brake and turn at the same time. SIMPLY PUT, the higher the number, the more turning you can do whilst braking. BUT the highter the number, the longer it takes to stop.

Let that bounce around your sculls for a second... GO to the in-game manual

Uhm. That's what ABS in real-life does.

Anti-Lock Brakes, in real life, keep the fronts from locking up, limiting understeer, allowing you to steer through a corner. They also keep the rears from locking up, preventing oversteer, allowing you to steer through a corner with less fear of snap-oversteer.

Whether you call it Active-Braking or Anti-Lock, it's still the same thing.

I hope this thread isn't dead yet. I have an opinion on the brake bias issue. Could it be that the numbers (5/5 as stock) mean the brake fluid's pressure on the pads and not the pressure of the pads on the brake discs. It this case isn't the 5/5 ratio compensated by smaller pads and discs in the back?

I hope this thread isn't dead yet. I have an opinion on the brake bias issue. Could it be that the numbers (5/5 as stock) mean the brake fluid's pressure on the pads and not the pressure of the pads on the brake discs. It this case isn't the 5/5 ratio compensated by smaller pads and discs in the back?

Its a thought, however I don't believe its done that way for a number of reasons.

The first is that brake bias settings start back at the brake pump, so fluid pressure on the pads would still need to include this (pad/disc/rotor size are a factor but much further down the line).

The next one is that it would be a bit of strange place for PD to put the brake bias (but the have done strange things in the past).

However the final one is the most definitive, and that testing backs up the idea that the value represent brake force and the ratios between front and back provide the brake bias.

It is however great to see people still thinking about this one.

👍

Scaff

Threshold braking works for me, I use it all the time. My favorite spot to use it is at the little hairpin at Fuji, the first corner in the chicane.

Now I'm interested if stopping distances get longer when ABS is set to 10 vs set to 5 when braking in a straight line 💡

SIMPLY PUT, the higher the number, the more turning you can do whilst braking. BUT the highter the number, the longer it takes to stop.

Let that bounce around your sculls for a second... GO to the in-game manual

Now I'm interested if stopping distances get longer when ABS is set to 10 vs set to 5 when braking in a straight line 💡

yes. In a straight line you stop the shortest without ABS.

ABS was designed for the awesome drivers who panic right before a real-life crash, turn the wheel to full lock and then slam the brakes as hard as they can, and then wonder why their car didn't turn. Very similarly to the people who, while they're understeering, turn the wheel IN even more. "zOmG my car doesn't have enough traction to make this turn, so I'm going to turn in EVEN MORE!!" or the people who, while sliding down an icy hill towards an intersection, lock up their tires and wonder why they don't stop, then with the brake pedal still pressed through the firewall they turn the wheel to full lock and wonder why they aren't turning, then they proceed to keep both the brakes locked and the wheel locked and slide into the intersection and then sue GMC because their car didn't do what they told it to.

So, JackB..... in summary.

Do you drive with ABS off or on 1 or above?

And also, all this testing of "threshold braking"............ how has it translated into improving your racecraft and Time Trial times?????

Has there been a drop in times?

I'm interested to see how it has applied to your driving.

Back