Thrustmaster T-GT Wheel Thread

It turns out T-GT is simply GT branded PS4 version based on TS-PC and isn't direct drive. I feel...

• Excited - Still a new and the improved wheel for PS4 by Thrustmaster

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Fine - Knew it won't be direct drive all along

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Disappointed - Not a direct drive

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Extremely Disappointed - Not drive drive and poor pedals set

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Threads merged and I've given ownership to @Soulfresh_ACV

I've edited @Soulfresh_ACV original OP and made it to be the OP of the merged thread. Hope you don't mind @wprpalmeida but Soulfresh does have a history of having wheel threads and keeping them updated.

of course I don't mind, he seems to log in way more often than I do. The thread will undoubtedbly be better off with him as OP.

side note: can't wait for E3

Here are some pictures of the wheel I took:

GT SPORT Wheel 1.jpg
GT SPORT Wheel 2.jpg
GT SPORT Wheel 3.jpg
GT SPORT Wheel 4.jpg
GT SPORT Wheel 5.jpg
GT SPORT Wheel 6.jpg

Hopefully there are some new pedals to go with it that are pressure based regarding brake pedal. Hoped for GT SPORT there will be a new direct drive GT branded wheel for it and good to see it looks like there will be one going by information so far. Fingers crossed that it will be more reliable than any Thrustmaster and Logitech wheel currently out.

View attachment 551717 View attachment 551719 View attachment 551721 View attachment 551722 View attachment 551723 View attachment 551724

Hopefully there are some new pedals to go with it that are pressure based regarding brake pedal. Hoped for GT SPORT there will be a new direct drive GT branded wheel for it and good to see it looks like there will be one going by information so far. Fingers crossed that it will be more reliable than any Thrustmaster and Logitech wheel currently out.
If is Direct Drive brushless motor should be reliable.

If is Direct Drive brushless motor should be reliable.
Yeah seems like it has sufficient cooling and well balanced to be able to do following too and should have less stuff to go wrong.

"Even when you play with the wheel for hours at a time, the torque delivery will remain stable."

That annoyed me quite a bit regarding G27 the force feedback fade, felt all over the place especially with GT. T300 doesn't feel consistent too due to the belts. Finally most logical design in making a wheel in my mind will make it to consoles, hopefully it is priced competitively so a lot of people can experience more realistic feel direct drive offers. 👍

Attached are my photos of the wheel from today's community event. These won't add anything to what is above to be honest. It was really difficult to get good photos as the wheel was inside a glass case which was very reflective.

It was certainly a surprise seeing it there - especially as there was no mention of it AT ALL during the day (and by all accounts it wasn't mentioned yesterday either). It seems they are relying on the "mystery" effect, which judging by this thread, seems to be working...

I can tell you that those chrome knobs on the front were very shiny and it all looked very plush and very impressive and, consequently, likely to be at the very top end of wheel prices.

View attachment 551717 View attachment 551719 View attachment 551721 View attachment 551722 View attachment 551723 View attachment 551724

For that people at the event, what's aprox. the rim size? Over 30 cm/12 inch, it seems?

I don't know, the wheel it self isn't good looking for me, but the base is very impressive.

If the price is too high, and if i had the money, i would go for fanatec's wheels. Thrustmaster just let me down with their quality control, their wheels are great, while it still working.

That's why I returned to Logitech G27 after own a T500.

Actually I read two comments from attendees that it was 28cm rim size. It's kind of hard to tell scale, but if you look at how big those plug sockets on the back look, I think the whole device is smaller than it appears at first sight.

Yeah seems like it has sufficient cooling and well balanced to be able to do following too and should have less stuff to go wrong.

"Even when you play with the wheel for hours at a time, the torque delivery will remain stable."

That annoyed me quite a bit regarding G27 the force feedback fade, felt all over the place especially with GT. T300 doesn't feel consistent too due to the belts. Finally most logical design in making a wheel in my mind will make it to consoles, hopefully it is priced competitively so a lot of people can experience more realistic feel direct drive offers. 👍
If it's direct-drive, it's almost certainly going to be a high end system with a high end pricetag.

I can only imagine that they're going to have some high end pedals to match. And high end pedals need to be mounted. Meaning it's going to be a far more niche setup than something like the T300/500.

It look substationally better than the T500 but something in same class as Fanatec I doubt, they will probably never give us a proper wheel rim, we always have to rely on custom made material

What would they name it? It is above T500,so maybe T700?

The wheel looks promising. Really tempted.

No pics of the pedals ?

Hello gtplanet, its been a while since my last post. While I am still very much into sim racing I have just been quite busy and not posting much within the forums. I figured I would make my return by posting my opinions, as if anyone wants them :lol:, as well as my predictions for the many mysteries surrounding this new Thrustmaster base.

First for the opinions *disclaimer* I am in no way a professional, my opinion is just that, an opinion (and maybe a little humor):
1) I don't care for the look of the rim, too game-wheel like and not enough sim-wheel like. Makes me think of a gaudy over sized game-pad making awkward love to a steering wheel from some kind of newer Nissan Maxima or something (just sayin).

2) I don't dislike the base, but I don't particularly like the base either. It is like a more modern T500 base, very similar to Thrustmasters current lineup. At the end of the day I don't care what it looks like as long as it works well. My biggest gripe with the base is the same as many others, its plastic! The biggest issue with my quite powerful T500 base is the forgiving nature of the plastic base. I won't compare to competitors but it is a known fact that metal is stronger and more solid than plastic. At least in respect the the types of plastics vs metals that would be used in the construction of a wheel base. I do like the look of the round cover on the back, it is question invoking which is something I can always appreciate. Can't say much else at this point as I haven't seen the base first hand.

3) If it is DD (see predictions for my thoughts on this) than I truly hope Thrustmaster didn't cheap out on the motor. DD is really nothing special if the motor is sub par. I haven't seen a DD wheel with what I would consider a "sub par" motor yet however I have also never seen a mass production DD wheelbase such as this would be.

4) My last opinion is regarding the quick release. This is another bitter sweat area for me, while it is great if I can use the multiple TM rims I already own, I don't feel the the current TM QR is strong and solid enough for the T500 base strength. If this new base surpasses the T500 in initial torque then the QR should really be of stronger build. Again I am brought back to the metal vs plastic argument.

Of course everything in the production of a product like this is calculated and tested. I do not hold it against Thrustmaster for using plastic as in the end it will keep costs down and make the wheel available to many more people who will likely love this new base and all of its pending features. If this base can be kept at the $600 mark for the base and rim that would be great. Pedals would be nice but if this is in fact a higher end wheel than the T500 than $600 should be acceptable without pedals. At that price the new Thrustmaster wheel+rim would cost the same as a CSW V2 base alone without a rim. If the base performs in line or better than that is perfectly acceptable in my eyes. There would have to be some added performance features (such as stronger FFB, on wheel settings, solid reliability etc) to make up for the lack of metal construction though.

Now on to my predictions! I will be excited to hear the facts when they come out so we can compare and see if I was on point at all. Only time will tell........yes, this base is more exciting than GT Sport itself for me, I love my hardware :D. Here we go:

1) I do not think this is direct drive (although I did until I saw the photos within this thread). I think this is a direct belt drive. Meaning one single reduction, with one single belt. No second reduction in drive ratio and no second belt. I think the configuration will be motor with smaller pulley, to larger pulley on the axle.

2) The belt will be of the toothed variety (standard for TM)

3) The motor will be Brushless, although the absence of a visible motor heat sink (if that is a motor under the vent) makes me question this very prediction.

4) The original TM rims will be compatible, with some limitations due to the added features on the new rim that aren't on the old rims.

5) There will be some kind of on wheel or quick settings that can be entered with the rim, maybe in the form of a screen that pops up in compatible games such as GT Sport.

6) The price will be $600 for the base and rim (maybe pedals too but I'll stick with just base and rim for prediction)

7) There will be some growing pains/issues within the first few months of release as per usual with TM, but I believe they will be resolved and corrected rather quickly.

8) The rim will be 27cm

9) The drive ratio will be low (not sure on numbers, have to think).

That's it for now, I will add to the lists if I think of more.

If anyone reads this please remember these are simply my predictions which I posted for fun. Do not think for one second that anything I have stated is fact regardless of the wording.

Thanks for reading, I can't wait to learn more about this new TM product. If this is going to be my best option for a fully compatible wheel for GT Sport I will definitely be wanting one.
:gtpflag:

1) I do not think this is direct drive (although I did until I saw the photos within this thread). I think this is a direct belt drive. Meaning one single reduction, with one single belt. No second reduction in drive ratio and no second belt. I think the configuration will be motor with smaller pulley, to larger pulley on the axle.
And I think so :)

Hello gtplanet, its been a while since my last post. While I am still very much into sim racing I have just been quite busy and not posting much within the forums. I figured I would make my return by posting my opinions, as if anyone wants them :lol:, as well as my predictions for the many mysteries surrounding this new Thrustmaster base.

First for the opinions *disclaimer* I am in no way a professional, my opinion is just that, an opinion (and maybe a little humor):
1) I don't care for the look of the rim, too game-wheel like and not enough sim-wheel like. Makes me think of a gaudy over sized game-pad making awkward love to a steering wheel from some kind of newer Nissan Maxima or something (just sayin).

2) I don't dislike the base, but I don't particularly like the base either. It is like a more modern T500 base, very similar to Thrustmasters current lineup. At the end of the day I don't care what it looks like as long as it works well. My biggest gripe with the base is the same as many others, its plastic! The biggest issue with my quite powerful T500 base is the forgiving nature of the plastic base. I won't compare to competitors but it is a known fact that metal is stronger and more solid than plastic. At least in respect the the types of plastics vs metals that would be used in the construction of a wheel base. I do like the look of the round cover on the back, it is question invoking which is something I can always appreciate. Can't say much else at this point as I haven't seen the base first hand.

3) If it is DD (see predictions for my thoughts on this) than I truly hope Thrustmaster didn't cheap out on the motor. DD is really nothing special if the motor is sub par. I haven't seen a DD wheel with what I would consider a "sub par" motor yet however I have also never seen a mass production DD wheelbase such as this would be.

4) My last opinion is regarding the quick release. This is another bitter sweat area for me, while it is great if I can use the multiple TM rims I already own, I don't feel the the current TM QR is strong and solid enough for the T500 base strength. If this new base surpasses the T500 in initial torque then the QR should really be of stronger build. Again I am brought back to the metal vs plastic argument.

Of course everything in the production of a product like this is calculated and tested. I do not hold it against Thrustmaster for using plastic as in the end it will keep costs down and make the wheel available to many more people who will likely love this new base and all of its pending features. If this base can be kept at the $600 mark for the base and rim that would be great. Pedals would be nice but if this is in fact a higher end wheel than the T500 than $600 should be acceptable without pedals. At that price the new Thrustmaster wheel+rim would cost the same as a CSW V2 base alone without a rim. If the base performs in line or better than that is perfectly acceptable in my eyes. There would have to be some added performance features (such as stronger FFB, on wheel settings, solid reliability etc) to make up for the lack of metal construction though.

Now on to my predictions! I will be excited to hear the facts when they come out so we can compare and see if I was on point at all. Only time will tell........yes, this base is more exciting than GT Sport itself for me, I love my hardware :D. Here we go:

2) The belt will be of the toothed variety (standard for TM)

3) The motor will be Brushless, although the absence of a visible motor heat sink (if that is a motor under the vent) makes me question this very prediction.

4) The original TM rims will be compatible, with some limitations due to the added features on the new rim that aren't on the old rims.

5) There will be some kind of on wheel or quick settings that can be entered with the rim, maybe in the form of a screen that pops up in compatible games such as GT Sport.

6) The price will be $600 for the base and rim (maybe pedals too but I'll stick with just base and rim for prediction)

7) There will be some growing pains/issues within the first few months of release as per usual with TM, but I believe they will be resolved and corrected rather quickly.

8) The rim will be 27cm

9) The drive ratio will be low (not sure on numbers, have to think).

That's it for now, I will add to the lists if I think of more.

If anyone reads this please remember these are simply my predictions which I posted for fun. Do not think for one second that anything I have stated is fact regardless of the wording.

Thanks for reading, I can't wait to learn more about this new TM product. If this is going to be my best option for a fully compatible wheel for GT Sport I will definitely be wanting one.
:gtpflag:

Welcome back and quite a long post indeed. I think most of us who already owns a TM or ffb wheel is looking forward to find out more about the internals of this new wheel more than anything and also the pricing.

Hopefully TM won't do what Logitech did with G29. :lol:

I'll quote what Thomas (Fanatec CEO) said in iRacing forum. I hope he does not mind.
"I had a close look to that wheel at E3 and all I can say is that you should have a close look at what Yamauchi -san really said and not what some people interpreted".

So we'll see. If Thrustmaster really had a DD wheel in development wouldn't they hype it even more?
If you're asking why - there are many people on the fence to jump into DD market. I doubt that anyone who goes this route (AF, OSW, Bodnar or whatever) will change setup anytime soon. So they're basically lost potential customers.
We have Simucube this summer and I'm going this route. If I knew there was another competitor I might wait a bit.

Same applies to Fanatec too actually.

I'll quote what Thomas (Fanatec CEO) said in iRacing forum. I hope he does not mind.
"I had a close look to that wheel at E3 and all I can say is that you should have a close look at what Yamauchi -san really said and not what some people interpreted".

So we'll see. If Thrustmaster really had a DD wheel in development wouldn't they hype it even more?
If you're asking why - there are many people on the fence to jump into DD market. I doubt that anyone who goes this route (AF, OSW, Bodnar or whatever) will change setup anytime soon. So they're basically lost potential customers.
We have Simucube this summer and I'm going this route. If I knew there was another competitor I might wait a bit.

What did Kaz really say?

What did Kaz really say?
Kazunori Yamauchi talked to GTPlanet about the wheel giving some interesting insights. Firstly, Yamauchi makes note that this wheel will be ‘Direct Drive’ – meaning that the motor shaft is directly linked to the wheel itself without the use of belts and gears. A main positive in Kazunori’s eyes for this is that “It generates high torque from the motor, and the torque is stable.”. The stability of the torque is something Polyphony found important, pointing out that there are no wheels currently on the market that have a linear torque pattern, which is something the new GT Sport wheel will look to include.

“I always felt with other wheels that something was wrong – that something was off. When we actually used the torque meter to measure the torque on those other steering wheels, there were some that had a high peak but would then drop off – they would only give the torque in spikes. So we went and redesigned it so that the torque delivery is linear.

Even when you play with the wheel for hours at a time, the torque delivery will remain stable.”

Edit: From here https://www.gtplanet.net/thrustmasters-new-gt-sport-wheel-to-include-direct-drive-motor/

Direct Drive is totally overhyped. I have tested all wheels on the market intensively and they certainly have some advantages but also heavy disadvantages like huge torque ripple and some of those expensive, overhyped wheels just feel horribly rough and not even close to a real car.
Making a cheap DD Wheel is easy but that does not mean that any DD wheel will automatically be better than the best belt driven wheels out there.

Nobody has seen the specs of this new wheel but I could understand TM very well to rather go for a decent belt drive wheel than making a bad performing but cheap DD Wheel.

Having said that, we will come up with both DD and belt driven wheel bases as they both have their advantages.

Direct Drive is totally overhyped. I have tested all wheels on the market intensively and they certainly have some advantages but also heavy disadvantages like huge torque ripple and some of those expensive, overhyped wheels just feel horribly rough and not even close to a real car.
Making a cheap DD Wheel is easy but that does not mean that any DD wheel will automatically be better than the best belt driven wheels out there.

Nobody has seen the specs of this new wheel but I could understand TM very well to rather go for a decent belt drive wheel than making a bad performing but cheap DD Wheel.

Having said that, we will come up with both DD and belt driven wheel bases as they both have their advantages.

Don't underestimate what Polyphony/Gran Turismo + Thrustmaster partnerships. If I remember correctly, they were the one if not the first, to popularise belt-driven force feedback wheel in the consumer market.

The GT branded T500RS with GT5 launch sold lots of wheels and also helped Thrustmaster propelled and established their brand in the PC/Console peripherals market.

If any one want affordable Direct Drive wheel without having to wait a decade, TM+GT will be the ones that'll make it happen.

Last edited:
nobody said anything about that horrible d-pad???
all the TM wheel have that awfull d-pad,... their F1 rim has a decent one,...
please make it a few dollars more and put on a decent d-pad.

nobody said anything about that horrible d-pad???
all the TM wheel have that awfull d-pad,... their F1 rim has a decent one,...
please make it a few dollars more and put on a decent d-pad.
if you think the TM D-pad is bad, you clearly haven't tried a Fanatec Porsche wheel ;)

if you think the TM D-pad is bad, you clearly haven't tried a Fanatec Porsche wheel ;)

This is true and I have a hate/love relationship with the buttons and D-pad on the Porsche wheels. I hate them because they're stiff and awkward to use. I love them because it's really slick the way they blend into the wheel. And the gimmicky LED backlighting is really cool.

People loved the big talk before the release of the CSW v1.... https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/best-wheel.233368/#post-6267009.....
Why should something be better just because it is more expensive? ;)
If anyone has the Frex and the ECCI I am happy to send him a CSW for review when time has come.
..... but with motors cheaper than a cup of coffee, that didn't go so well.

The v2 went a long way to atoning for "sins" (well maybe not for those that couldn't afford it after blowing their dough on a v1), but I'm not sure I know when and when not to trust the "big talk" still.

@fatkrakr Still got your v1? Want to swap it for my "expensive, but no so good" ECCI 7000? I'm sure you would...... but I wouldn't.

Was there ever even so much as an attempt?.....

fonzie-effusion21-612x265.jpg

In this thread we are not talking about big talk but rather wrong talk :)

And your example of the ECCI just proofs my point that there are good belt drive wheels out there. Although I am curious how many V2 owners would change with your Wheel. ;)

People loved the big talk before the release of the CSW v1.... https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/best-wheel.233368/#post-6267009.....

..... but with motors cheaper than a cup of coffee, that didn't go so well.

The v2 went a long way to atoning for "sins" (well maybe not for those that couldn't afford it after blowing their dough on a v1), but I'm not sure I know when and when not to trust the "big talk" still.

@fatkrakr Still got your v1? Want to swap it for my "expensive, but no so good" ECCI 7000? I'm sure you would...... but I wouldn't.

Was there ever even so much as an attempt?.....

fonzie-effusion21-612x265.jpg
Ill just say that I still firmly believe that no V1 buyer got what they were promised or paid for. Also that it was a slap in the face to offer them first go at REBUYING what they already thought they purchased.

With that said after the last return for repairs Ive had no more failing issues.

And your example of the ECCI just proofs my point that there are good belt drive wheels out there. Although I am curious how many V2 owners would change with your Wheel. ;)
Yeah screw those V1 owners they should of upgraded by now, right?

With that said after the last return for repairs Ive had no more failing issues.

The V1 had one batch of bad motors. It was not a design issue and the wheel works great with the normal Motors.

Thank you for confirming that!

All V1 Owners with bad motors got a replacement so that the V2 was certainly not a requirement. We designed the V2 as a big product upgrade and not as a bugfix.

Fonzarelli it is then.

The best that could be hoped for was merely perpetual subtle failures, rather than all too often realised potential of repeated terminal failures. That is, every time the wheel is used in normal fashion, the motors fade in quick time.... Subtle failure. Thrustmaster put a comparatively beastly motor in their contemporary, the T500, and it showed.

I've bought quite a few Fanatec products over the years. I'm a fan, and think they've done great things with humble resources. That doesn't change that I think the CSR was ugly as sin, and that in one crucial area the v1 failed miserably.

To buy the T500's motor at retail is a huge percentage of what the wheel cost retail. I hope that whatever this new wheel turns out to be, they use the same principle, and don't skimp on the motor.

The V1 had one batch of bad motors. It was not a design issue and the wheel works great with the normal Motors.

Thank you for confirming that!

All V1 Owners with bad motors got a replacement so that the V2 was certainly not a requirement. We designed the V2 as a big product upgrade and not as a bugfix.
Sorry but that's bull:censored:. I personally have had 2 different bases from Fanatec for failed motors and from the first to the last new base sent was over 1 year, 18 months to be exact. Hows that from the same batch? Its statements like that that burns my ass on the whole situation. You know its a lie and we know its a lie yet your still here repeating it. They are cheap $2 motors that have no business in a sim wheel. Mistakes are made, you admit them apologize and move on, not keep sticking to the same BS to try and save a little face. Its not saving any.

I like Fanatec products and own several items including the V3 pedals, which I believe is the best bargain in sim racing today. I have excepted the fact I got screwed on my V1 purchase, I just don't want to hear anymore that its not a bad motor design, but a bad batch of motors. We aren't stupid please stop treating us that way.

Back