Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter Thread

Which mode do you mostly use with your TH8A?

• Total voters
Meanwhile I connected the wheel and TH8A shifter to the PS4 and indeed in AC the "cursor" goes constantly to the far right and in GTS the TH8A is not recognized in anyway. A couple of months ago I could use the shifter without any problem. Now I do not know if that has to do to a change in PS4 firmware or because I changed for T300 to a Fanatec wheel. I disconnect the PS4 and swicth back to PC...

Edit: So it looks like both AC and GTS does not work anymore with the TH8A on PS4. Right? Have you or anybody else tested e.g. Dirt and/or PCars2 on PS4? Who can confirm the TH8A still works fine on PS4 console?
only tested this two and only in blue mode... The TH8a works on PS4... I mnaget to make it work with Assetto Corsa but then nothing else worked.. as the issue for the cursor blocked on the right "took ownership" of the game... I could change gears all right.. but nothing else was working.. :(

Meanwhile I connected the wheel and TH8A shifter to the PS4 and indeed in AC the "cursor" goes constantly to the far right and in GTS the TH8A is not recognized in anyway. A couple of months ago I could use the shifter without any problem. Now I do not know if that has to do to a change in PS4 firmware or because I changed for T300 to a Fanatec wheel. I disconnect the PS4 and swicth back to PC...

Edit: So it looks like both AC and GTS does not work anymore with the TH8A on PS4. Right? Have you or anybody else tested e.g. Dirt and/or PCars2 on PS4? Who can confirm the TH8A still works fine on PS4 console?

Yesterday night I´ve tried GTS, and AC with purple mode... together with the Th8a shifter... as for GTS nothing new... not recognized... as for AC the game immediately crashes!!! totally!!! entering blue screen! every time!!!

Then tried PC2, Dirt and Dirt 4... all them with purple mode also... for PC2 and Dirt... the shifter simply is not recognized (on blue and purple mode...) ... I must remark that the FFB feeling on Dirt is .. ridiculous.. practically none...

Now... for Dirt4. the top of the plot!!!! (and the FFB feel is great and detailed configurable)

Amazingly Dirt 4 has a: Device Manager!!!! And you may configure everything that it finds connected to the PS4!!!! So... the shifter is Recognized!! and works perfectly!!! Only drawback is that you can´t have both Sequential shifter and H shifter working.. so you got to choose only one!!! You may even configure the shifter as Hand brake , 1st you need to set it to act like one on the profiler (using your PC)...

Works in my setup. I use it connected to the USB port with my TM wheel in GT sport and Dirt Rally.

Works in my setup. I use it connected to the USB port with my TM wheel in GT sport and Dirt Rally.
Of course it works... I had a T500RS with the shifter and all worked like a charm!!! .But the issue is not to have the shifter with a TM wheel... that combination has no problems in any platform... In case you did´nt notice, the combination that is discussed now, is a Fanatec (CSL Elite PS4) Wheel with a Thrustmaster Shifter,,,

Of course it works... I had a T500RS with the shifter and all worked like a charm!!! .But the issue is not to have the shifter with a TM wheel... that combination has no problems in any platform... In case you did´nt notice, the combination that is discussed now, is a Fanatec (CSL Elite PS4) Wheel with a Thrustmaster Shifter,,,
Please read carefully! I was responding to @BrainsBush. (see quote) He is/was having trouble with the th8a. He asked if it still worked.
So he can confirm himself it is the combo of fanatec wheel+th8a and not ps4 or developer. I already recommended to use either basherboards adapter or drivehub.

Please read carefully! I was responding to @BrainsBush. (see quote) He is/was having trouble with the th8a. He asked if it still worked.
So he can confirm himself it is the combo of fanatec wheel+th8a and not ps4 or developer. I already recommended to use either basherboards adapter or drivehub.

I found strange your post. .but even then... And as I´ve also said. it works with Elite wheel.. on the Dirt 4 game!!! It´s a pitty that more racing games don´t have the same interface as Dirt4, that detects and allows configuration for multiple and different Driving Equipment (Wheels, Pedals, Shifters, Hand brakes...) with it´s unique Device Manager!!! I will still take a look at F1 2017 later on... and maybe to Drive Club too...

I found strange your post. .but even then... And as I´ve also said. it works with Elite wheel.. on the Dirt 4 game!!! It´s a pitty that more racing games don´t have the same interface as Dirt4, that detects and allows configuration for multiple and different Driving Equipment (Wheels, Pedals, Shifters, Hand brakes...) with it´s unique Device Manager!!! I will still take a look at F1 2017 later on... and maybe to Drive Club too...
On PS4 it really depends on the developer. Codemasters and GT sport actually do a good job supporting different peripherals. See the support page for more info on supported games where you can use the TH8a shifter in the PS4 USB port:
https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/product/th8a-en/
The games with **** support the USB port (PS4).

On PS4 it really depends on the developer. Codemasters and GT sport actually do a good job supporting different peripherals. See the support page for more info on supported games where you can use the TH8a shifter in the PS4 USB port:
https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/product/th8a-en/
The games with **** support the USB port (PS4).

Codemaster (at least on Dirt4) beats by a very long margin Poliphony Digital... on this... GT Sport won´t allow for different brands to connect at same time, contrary to Codemasters... that acts almost like a kind of Drive Hub and even more. since it allows for detailed configuration of each of the connected devices... Poliphony has not even a glimpse of this...

Hello everybody,

when I first first connected everything it worked fine. I could change the gear to "N" with my stick stick shifter. Changing the gear without pushing the clutch wasn't possible (fine).

But now I can't change the gear to "N". I don't have to use the clutch anymore.

So now auto-clutch is on and I can't switch back!

The clutch pedal works though. When I push it down together with the gas pedal the engin runs up without accelerating.

With Project Cars everything works perfectly. So no hardware issue.

I already tried:
- connecting TH8A via USB to PS4Pro
- pushing the clutch before the race to change clutch mode
- different cars (for testing I use mostly BMW E30)
- Firmware update of wheel and shifter

Example how it should be:

(N between shifts)

Example as it is:

(no N between shifts)

my setup
Thrustmaster T300 RS
T3PA
TH8A shifter (connected via DIN)

Please help me! :-(

Hello everybody,

when I first first connected everything it worked fine. I could change the gear to "N" with my stick stick shifter. Changing the gear without pushing the clutch wasn't possible (fine).

The clutch pedal works though. When I push it down together with the gas pedal the engin runs up without accelerating.

I already tried:

(N between shifts)

Example as it is:

(no N between shifts)

my setup
Thrustmaster T300 RS
T3PA

Gt sport can be annoying in this part. From my own experience. GTsport autodetects everything (yay plug&play!)
So the at the start of the first race (not before) you should just press the clutch and it will detect it. There is a but...
the car in question needs to have it in real life. If you are driving a car that has seq gearbox it won’t detect a clutch no matter what you do. But it does let you use the H-shifter. But the only way to go to N is to use the paddle shifters.

I hope this clarifies your question.

Last edited:
...and now with the six-speed short shift plate installed. Feels fantastic.

KYfvU3c.jpg

Just waiting for some knobs to arrive now so I can make some proper short-shaft shifters.

If anyone's interested in buying this CNC machined stainless steel short-shift 6-speed plate (immaculate condition, hardly used) for their TH8 then PM me. I've now upgraded my shifter to a Fanatec Clubsport. UK only please.
My modified TH8RS is also for sale (durable top-fix bungee cord retensioner on four machine screws, not the elastic band nightmare hidden in the main mechanism that some people use, and that requires constant maintenance). Open to sensible offers. I don't have the table clamp because it's a piece of crap that went straight in the bin.

Gt sport can be annoying in this part. From my own experience. GTsport autodetects everything (yay plug&play!)
So the at the start of the first race (not before) you should just press the clutch and it will detect it. There is a but...
the car in question needs to have it in real life. If you are driving a car that has seq gearbox it won’t detect a clutch no matter what you do. But it does let you use the H-shifter. But the only way to go to N is to use the paddle shifters.

I hope this clarifies your question.

Thanks for your kind reply,

The cars I tested definetly have H-shifter in real life.
You can't shift to N with pedals in this game.
The strange thing about it is that the game seems to change the modes. So I can switch to auto clutch mode by using the stick shifter. It changes to pedal shifters when I use them. When I press the clutch, the clutch mode changes to full-manual (when I push the clutch and press throttle pedal the engine runs up but it is iot connected to the gear box) but as soon as I shift the gear by the H stick shifter it changes back to auto-clutch even if I press the clutch at the same time.

how it is
pressing clutch - full-manual clutch
using shift pedals - pedal shift mode
moving stick shifter - auto-clutch
so as soon as I move the stick stick shifter it is in auto clutch mode. I don't need no reset by using the pedal shifters.

Regards

The strange thing about it is that the game seems to change the modes. So I can switch to auto clutch mode by using the stick shifter. It changes to pedal shifters when I use them. When I press the clutch, the clutch mode changes to full-manual (when I push the clutch and press throttle pedal the engine runs up but it is iot connected to the gear box) but as soon as I shift the gear by the H stick shifter it changes back to auto-clutch even if I press the clutch at the same time.

how it is
so as soon as I move the stick stick shifter it is in auto clutch mode. I don't need no reset by using the pedal shifters.

Regards
Havent played GT sport lately...been busy playing GoW :lol:... Will get back to you when I do return to GTsport.

how it is

Regards

It´s a pity that even if GTS is, as you say, Plug & play, it does´nt accepts the Th8A with a Fanatec wheel and pedals.. :( .. it acts as if the snifter simply is´nt there... :(

Hello everybody,

I already tried:

(N between shifts)

Example as it is:

(no N between shifts)

my setup
Thrustmaster T300 RS
T3PA

i got the same problem and use the same equipment. these problems started occurring after update 1.18, so i think it is a bug. i am just waiting on a patch at the moment... i hope they fix it soon.

I do do think too that I have these issues since the update.

i got the same problem and use the same equipment. these problems started occurring after update 1.18, so i think it is a bug. i am just waiting on a patch at the moment... i hope they fix it soon.

Hi guys!
I would like to share my modification of the TH8A. I bought it for 120€ 5 months ago, and i'm really satisfied.
To make it i've just taken some wood and i attached the parts around the shifter. It's very easy to remove it and have the original knob again, so that's very important for me.
For the knob i bought this VW Touran shifter from Amazon: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01LMW08YC/
Sure not really the most sporty choice, but it's nice for a relaxed driving and a more realistic feeling. Also, it's available for only 9€, so at least i won't throw away too much money if i don't like it. It fits really nice and doesn't shake anything.
The main difference between the original shifter and this one is the feeling. With this knob and this cover it's necessary to raise a bit the shifter stick, so you have a longer lenght between gears. For me this change is not at all a problem to play racing games like GT Sport or PC2, but of course you will do a bit slower gear changes.
Finally, my personal opinion: It feels really nice if you want a more realistic feeling spending only a few €. Of course, you can do it better and more beautiful, but this one doesn't look bad in my opinion, and the most important thing is that it takes small space and you can easily remove it when you want.
Hope that you like and sorry if i said something wrong, English is not my native language and this is not easy to explain!
s6psMBI.jpg

TNlYqo0.jpg

BT8NeU9.jpg

4wB8kGS.jpg

bXdvTJX.jpg

Thanks for your time!

Hi guys!
I would like to share my modification of the TH8A. I bought it for 120€ 5 months ago, and i'm really satisfied.
To make it i've just taken some wood and i attached the parts around the shifter. It's very easy to remove it and have the original knob again, so that's very important for me.
For the knob i bought this VW Touran shifter from Amazon: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01LMW08YC/
Sure not really the most sporty choice, but it's nice for a relaxed driving and a more realistic feeling. Also, it's available for only 9€, so at least i won't throw away too much money if i don't like it. It fits really nice and doesn't shake anything.
The main difference between the original shifter and this one is the feeling. With this knob and this cover it's necessary to raise a bit the shifter stick, so you have a longer lenght between gears. For me this change is not at all a problem to play racing games like GT Sport or PC2, but of course you will do a bit slower gear changes.
Finally, my personal opinion: It feels really nice if you want a more realistic feeling spending only a few €. Of course, you can do it better and more beautiful, but this one doesn't look bad in my opinion, and the most important thing is that it takes small space and you can easily remove it when you want.
Hope that you like and sorry if i said something wrong, English is not my native language and this is not easy to explain!
s6psMBI.jpg

TNlYqo0.jpg

BT8NeU9.jpg

4wB8kGS.jpg

bXdvTJX.jpg

Thanks for your time!

It looks nice. .but.. the signing with the "direction" of the movement to use for reaching each shift, is very different from the real one on the TH8A, and additionally you have no 7th gear...

Guys I'd like to have an answer to the following question : Do all TH8A shifters lack the threaded hole that the TH8RS had to add a second spring plunger , or some have and some not? I just sold one that didn't have it it was just a 10mm hole , but I think I have heard of people with threaded ones.

Thanks for the answer!

Did some mods today.
First one was to cut down the length of the stock shaft and re cut the thread (m9x1.25). Makes the shift shorter butt crucially stiffer too. 5 minute job and free (If you have the tools already)

Also ordered an M10 male to M6 female adapter, plus a metal mugen shifter (M10x1.5) from ebay and cut down some M6 threaded rod to fit, as a more permanent solution. The stock gear knob is very light, it feels hollow.

Last edited:
Okay, I have a serious question. Today, I jumped in my setup, started up American Truck Sim, and my shifter happened to not connect. I did a little snooping, and realized that the issue lies with the connector on the end of the cable, under the shifter. Does anyone sell replacement connectors for these? I'm trash at soldering, and really don't feel like tearing it apart without having spare parts. Help appreciated. (Already sent a ticket to TM, by the way)

Did some mods today.
First one was to cut down the length of the stock shaft and re cut the thread (m9x1.25). Makes the shift shorter butt crucially stiffer too. 5 minute job and free (If you have the tools already)

Also ordered an M10 male to M6 female adapter, plus a metal mugen shifter (M10x1.5) from ebay and cut down some M6 threaded rod to fit, as a more permanent solution. The stock gear knob is very light, it feels hollow.
Do you have a link for the M10 male to M6 female adapter?

Have been longing for a review for a long time.

I just did the 3drap mod about two weeks ago. It feels great! Nice and notchy just like how you would expect a real h-pattern to feel. I picked up there 6mt short shifter plate as well. Just make sure it's generously lubed to prevent premature wear. Next up is the additional M10 spring plunger mod. :D

Back