Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter Thread

Which mode do you mostly use with your TH8A?

• Total voters
Australia
Australia
Soulfresh-ACV
  • Offers Realism and Authenticity; 5.12 inches tall gear stick with detachable knob; Compatible with real universal knobs (available at car parts stores); Realistic gear-shifting feel; 2 shift-plates included: "H"-pattern (7+1) and Sequential (+/-)
  • 100% metal internal mechanism, metal gear stick and metal clamping system
  • H.E.A.R.T. Hall Effect AccuRate Technology; Precision that won't decrease over time (contactless magnetic sensor); No tact switch and no potentiometer (for unlimited product lifespan)
  • Upgradable firmware, and internal memory with adjustable gear-shift travel to suit your driving style (software available for download on PC); Adjustable resistance when shifting gears; Shift-plate position and rotation adjustable by 360 degrees
  • On PC: works with all racing wheels on the market; On PS3 and PS4: works with the T500RS, Ferrari F1 Wheel Integral T500, and T300RS; On Xbox One: works with the TX Racing Wheel

Compatibility
Platform with Wheels or standalone on PC
Accessories
* Compatible with TH8RS
Mods
* Should be compatible with TH8RS. Check with seller.
Example of this two combined (Forum post @LostRacer)

Official Thrustmaster Support

ISRTV Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter review

Based on Darin from ISRTV review, apart from minor colour difference to TH8RS and support for connecting directly to much more recent Thrustmaster wheels, pretty much anything else is exactly the same as TH8RS.

Please feel free to ask any questions, share your experiences, any issues or mods.

Last edited:
So am I right in say this just connects to the T500 instead of going to another USB ?

Be handy on ps4 as only 2 USBs and I have my Astro A50s in one.

T500 doesn't have a socket for it directly. Only the T300 and TX have a socket. You have to use the shifter as a second USB device for the T500 and all other wheels.

Anyone know of or have a hard-mounting diagram or dimensions (hole spacing, footprint of base) for the TH8A? I have one on order and would like to fabricate my custom mount before it arrives.

Shafts are coming back :D

I will only be offering them in shortened versions of -

Standard: Fits the standard M9x1.25 threaded knob the shifter comes with.
Aftermarket: Fits knobs with M10x1.5 threads. Honda and many other companies use this thread. There are also adapters commonly available for it and most knobs even come with them.

This should cover most of what people were wanting. I can also get them out quickly. I am not sure yet when they will be available but my hope is in the next few weeks. They will be posted on my site this time as well.

I finally received my Thrustmaster TH8A shifter yesterday after multiple delays it seems. The original release date was Sept. 1 in the US, but every week it got pushed back. Amazon shipped it Friday and I received it yesterday by USPS. Thank you Amazon for that Sunday delivery.

I just wanted to say there's not much to talk about this shifter if you already own a TH8RS which I do also. The TH8A is practically identical except that is has two different cables that can be connected, one cable that connects the shifter directly to the Thrustmaster TX or T300 wheels for console compatibility, and one cable that connects it directly by USB for PC compatibility.

It appears to be exactly the same as the TH8RS except it sure sounds louder and a bit "clicky" when moving the shifter around compared my TH8RS. I haven't opened the TH8A to see if anything is different internally, but there is no question that it makes a little more noise for some reason.

At least they are available in the US finally, even if supply is still limited for now.

Ya mine is arriving today. I'm looking forward to turning some laps with it.:cheers:

I would love to hear what's your opinion of this product because I am order in November for my T300 RS.

My newegg order for one of these is shipping today... Was out of stock for quite awhile. Still shows out of stock on the site.

We'll love to hear your thoughts. I'm still waiting for mine shipping from the US to AUS ;)

Last edited:
We'll love to hear your thoughts. I'm still waiting for mine shipping from the US to AUS ;)

Its working like a champ on the PC and the XB1. No issues at all other than it makes a little more noise than my TH8RS. Mechanically, its a little "clickier" when shifting gears and going through the gate. When its connected to the PC, all games recognize it as a TH8RS so I don't even have to reconfigure any games.

Before I make any assumptions and pull the trigger I figured I would ask really quick. If I'm buying a new T500RS should I just get the newer TH8A shifter or is there any benefit to getting the older TH8RS shifter which originally came with the wheel? Thanks in advance.

Before I make any assumptions and pull the trigger I figured I would ask really quick. If I'm buying a new T500RS should I just get the newer TH8A shifter or is there any benefit to getting the older TH8RS shifter which originally came with the wheel? Thanks in advance.

I can't see any reason to buy the TH8RS over the TH8A other than availability and cost. The TH8RS is slightly cheaper now and can be bought anywhere, but the TH8A does everything the TH8RS does and allows you to use it with the TX and T300 wheels with consoles if you should ever upgrade. The TH8RS is compatible with the PS3 and supposed to be with PS4 also. The TH8A is compatible with the PS3/PS4 and XB1 if that matters.

Mine arrived yesterday. But I thin I will have to direct mount it as I don't see it fitting on my G27 mount on my Playseat. No biggie, I can drill a couple holes 👍 Can't wait to try it out. I don't know if I'll want to use it all the time, but it'd sure be fun in PCars.

Jerome

The more I look at this the more I want it but I'm not sure if im just collecting, I'm gonna give it a go with the paddles and then make my mind up.

Just a heads up for those of you who have a Playseat and the G27 shifter kit. You can't drill any holes to fit the TH8A, I tried unsuccessfully today. One of the two M6 holes runs into the vertical mount underneath 👎

You can, however, jerry-rig it to use the clamp (it's not a perfect fit, but I think it's solid:

NewTH8AShifter.jpg

The tightening knob gets really hard to tighten as it hits the shifter bar underneath, but it's fine (we'll see when the T300RS finally releases :rolleyes: )

Jerome

Just a heads up for those of you who have a Playseat and the G27 shifter kit. You can't drill any holes to fit the TH8A, I tried unsuccessfully today. One of the two M6 holes runs into the vertical mount underneath 👎

You can, however, jerry-rig it to use the clamp (it's not a perfect fit, but I think it's solid:

NewTH8AShifter.jpg

The tightening knob gets really hard to tighten as it hits the shifter bar underneath, but it's fine (we'll see when the T300RS finally releases :rolleyes: )

Jerome

Slide the shifter over to the outside holes. That's where I have mine mounted and it fits perfect. It takes a little wiggling to get the holes to line up, but they will.

Slide the shifter over to the outside holes. That's where I have mine mounted and it fits perfect. It takes a little wiggling to get the holes to line up, but they will.

Can you take a pic for me? I'm not following...

Jerome

Can you take a pic for me? I'm not following...

Jerome
I really struggle getting things to upload for whatever reason, so Ill try to explain again, if we cant get it Ill try to upload a pic.

If you use the 2 mounting holes on the right side of the mount you can get 2 holes on the shifter to line up and that is enough to securely mount the shifter. Its kind of a tight fit so you have to wiggle the shifter around after getting the first bolt started (don't tighten just get started) to get the second bolt to line up. You cant use 4 bolts to mount the shifter, but the 2 is more than plenty to hold it firm.

Oh I see, I'll give it a whirl tonight. Thanks for the clarification buddy.

Jerome

Back