Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter Thread

Which mode do you mostly use with your TH8A?

• Total voters
Then try unplugging it and only using H shifter. Some games don't support having two TH8As plugged in (for example GT Sport).

Almost certain I did that, along with restarting the console every change. I’ll try again though.

Finding a solution is ultimately a $60 fix.

Maybe faulty USB extension cord, bad USB hub, try swapping ports on PS4, etc etc.

If the cables are faulty, and there’s a chance, this is what I’ve got. 3 feet. Any good, or is there something better?

UGREEN 2 Pack USB Extension Cable USB 3.0 Extender Cord Type A Male to A Female for Playstation, Xbox, USB Flash Drive, Card Reader, Hard Drive,Keyboard, Printer, Scanner, Camera (6ft) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P0ES0QM/?tag=gtplanet-20

The reason I wonder is even the second TH8A I use as a Handbrake occasionally doesn’t register input when using this extension.

Tried a 3ft 2.0 USB extension plugged directly into the console. At least (so far) with Dakar 18 it still doesn’t work right. Same issue as before but I learned that if I hold the clutch 3/4 it will stay in gear. Not the same result compared to the shifter plugged into the wheel.

Haven’t tried DR 2.0 plugged into the console but I’m just going to wait for the Simhub to arrive. I’ve exhausted all options.

Thanks anyway 👍

So here is a bizarre issue. TH8A shifter, in PS3 mode on my PC. Works perfectly fine, all gears engage, calibrates ok. No problems at the desktop. I start up a game (Assetto Corsa or PCars I've tried) and either start driving or go into the menus to configure the controls. I test out the gears, get to 6th and my system volume CRANKS while 6th is engaged. Pull it out of 6th and it stops. If I shut the game down and now try it at the desktop, its stuck working this way now. Shift to 6th, volume cranks to 100.

I do have a Logitech keyboard with volume control. I removed it and its related software, reinstalled all Thrustmaster drivers. it had no effect, still volume cranks.

Any ideas?

It's not only about the size but also rating as well. The original one is M10 rated at 1-3 N as I recall. I did change it with 2 (I have the th8rs with the second hole tapped as well) M10 rated 6-10N and its night and day.

Im a new T-GT / Th8a user and im enjoying the setup so far, its been said already but the shifter has such a solid feel to it and a nice look imo. Defo need lots of practice shifting though irl id have chewed though several drivetrains and put many rods through many blocks by now :lol:.

Just started using the seq mode for the first time now and gotta say im really enjoying banging through the gears in my ek9 on gt sport, more so than i thought i would given the reviews i had read about the lack of feel in the shifts, cant wait to maybe get the ricmotech mod for a more tactile experience :).

Last edited:
Is anyone in the UK or EU planning on making and selling any of those mods using the ball plungers? I'm interested in buying one.

Last edited:
I have made an M8 and an M6 version of the ball plunger mod and tried out both, this time using strong force ball plungers instead of regular ones. I like the M6 version best. The M8 is very strong: you really need to pull the stick - a bit too much to my taste. The M8 version also has a tiny issue when shifting to the forth gear: it doesn't 'clunck' all the way, only 'clun..' :P. My guess is the M8 ball is too large, the gear stick doesn't flip over the ball completely. The M6 is perfect.
FYI, you can order the strong force plungers here: http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/product/490...ng-plungers-threaded-stainless-steel-wds-823/.
20191221_160809_resized.jpg
Please note: I also have the other TH8 mod installed (second and stronger ball plunger at the bottom of the TH8), so this adds up to the force.
Send me a PM if you want one made (you need to order the ball plungers yourself).

Last edited:
If they use strong force or regular ball plungers is unknown though. It looks like they use M8 or M10 ball plungers. If someone is buying this kit, please let us know your thoughts about it.

Hi, I am new here.

I have a TH8RS (not the TH8A). It worked when I was using it for GT Sport on my PS5, but I can't get it to work for GT7. Is it not compatible? (It only has a USB so I cannot plug it into the wheel base.)

Hi, I am new here.

I have a TH8RS (not the TH8A). It worked when I was using it for GT Sport on my PS5, but I can't get it to work for GT7. Is it not compatible? (It only has a USB so I cannot plug it into the wheel base.)
The TH8RS is not supported on PS5. It is no doubt working on GT Sport on PS5 because the PS5 goes into its inbuilt PS4 or PS4 Pro modes when playing GT Sport. For GT7 it will remain in its default PS5 mode this is no doubt what breaks compatibility with the TH8RS.

Look at the supported games list for TH8RS vs TH8A:

The TH8RS is not supported on PS5. It is no doubt working on GT Sport on PS5 because the PS5 goes into its inbuilt PS4 or PS4 Pro modes when playing GT Sport. For GT7 it will remain in its default PS5 mode this is no doubt what breaks compatibility with the TH8RS.

Look at the supported games list for TH8RS vs TH8A:

Dang. Ok thanks.

Back