Thunder & lightning race garage - home of the brave

• Thread starter Marchbrown
  • 168 comments
GTP_Marchbrown
Marchbrown
Thunder & Lightning race garage

picture.php

Thunder & Lightning Race Garage is the home of the Thunder and Lightning race team. We're all good friends who love racing, love Gran Turismo and love GTPlanet. Our goal is to race as fast and clean as we can, respecting all drivers on the track regardless of tag or origin. We organize race events that reflect the T&L vibe and the personalities that contribute to that vibe both as closed battles among the T&L members and as open competitions with a theme or a twist. We develop our own tunes and sometimes make them public. In the garage you will find information about the drivers, our competitions and our tunes.

Race Events
All you need to know about T&L race events, invitationals and inter-forum races

Tuning
Thunder & Lightning Tuning

Garage TZT Tuning (New Addition)

Achievements
Accolades, divisional promotions, WRS results and event race wins

the crew

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
GTP_fairplay_plz [DE] (Division 1 Silver)

Hi mates! It´s a pleasure to be part of this great team. Ok, something about me: My first name is Kai and I'm from Germany. I love racing of nearly all kinds. I also love to ride motorcycles and watch every Moto GP race (I watch nearly every kind of motorsport)

Since I started driving with you guys in GTPlanet, I have got to know this game in a completely new way. Thanks a lot for some great racenights. I'm looking forward to some more to come. Regards

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
GTP_FLASH48 [US] (Division 2 Bronze)

My name is John. I live in Alaska, where it gets cold sometimes! The only racing I have done, is cross country snowmachine racing! Thats been a few years ago though. I still snowmachine with my sons, I can still keep up with them. I started the GT games with number 2. Prologue is the first racing game I have played online, and happy to be with THUNDER & LIGHTNING RACE TEAM!

GTP_Graffen [NO] (Division 2 Gold)

My name is Bjørn. I live in Trysil, Norway. My hobbies are MC/ skiing, all kinds of motorsport and gaming on PS2 and PS3. I have raced mostly WRC and Colin Dirt. I met Jon and Rune in Oslo at the GT academy national final, and they said that I should become a member of GTPlanet. So here I am. Thanks Jon and Rune - its a new gaming world for me.

74c1602a89ff5609f12585889dd246d1_2971.jpg

GTP_mr_geez [PL] (Division 2 Bronze)

Hey guys. My name is Maciek from Lodz, Poland. I've been racing in Gran Turismo since the beginning of the series (I feel like I'm, at an AA meeting at the moment). Hobbies: movies (a lot of!!), books (Brett Easton Ellis recently) , Miami Vice (call me Sonny Crockett) , sports (work related stuff and NFL, NBA, soccer) , racing (F1, super GT, Le Mans 24h , moto GP and few other series) & women (the one and only at the moment).

Extra info: I prefer Jack Daniels with 7up (77 connection) over anything else..
Let my racing do my talking..
cheers.

GTP_Hun [PT] (Division 2 Bronze)

My name is Mário, I'm 44 years old, I'm from Portugal and I live (and work) in Lisbon. Married and with children, I'd like to mention that one of my kids is 11 years old and is already a GT5P player. Recently using a GTP tag (GTP_madbigdog), I told him to run the new qualifier, so maybe one day he'll also be in the registry.

Other things: I'm a long time biker, ride my XJR everyday, rain or shine. And I'm a go-kart addict, every time I can I jump into some kart racing with friends. As in GT, there's always someone faster than me, but I usually get a podium finish.

While online I try to run clean and as fast as I'm able to. Usually I race late in the night. Meet you there!

GTP_JvM [FI] (Division 2 Gold)

My name is Jukka. I was born in 1986. I live in Helsinki, Finland, where I've lived my whole life. I have been playing GT from the first game. From then on there was no doubt that I would have every following game of the series. However, GT5:P was the first GT that I have played with a wheel, and oh boy it's a different game!
I'm also interested in many kinds of motorsports. F1 is the one that I follow the most. And of course, very interested in cars in general too.
When I joined in GTP I thought it was a really great place. But I would have never imagined being invited to a so nice and great a team as T&L, which this brilliant little group of people from around the world really is. Easily the best thing happened to me around here so far.

GTP Marchbrown [NO] (Division 1 Silver)

Jon is my name. I'm a family man with two lovely kids. They've just started their racing career and love to borrow dad's wheel. I've been playing the GT series from the start, and also like racing in real life. Mostly karting, but I also had a try in many other motorsports.

As I live in the high mountains of Norway I get a lot of sliding practice during the winter. So of course I'm into oversteery cars :lol:. My home town Geilo is a ski-resort so skiing, kiteing and flyfishing in our rivers is also a big part of my life. Winning isn't everything for me - I'd rather have a fair, fun and close battle on the track

08836ce325ba0e08dc89b3d7324119ad_3046.jpg
4320774f41f7867a56792269638f7b70_3047.jpg

Karting at stealthwinners birthday

GTP_Synwraith [GB] (Division 1 Bronze)

My name is Maz, I'm 29 and from London, England. However I was originally born in Iran but have spent over 20 years in the UK. I've been a follower of the Gran Turismo legacy from day one and played all main versions of the game to death. I am a huge motorsports fan, and a wannabe motorsports writer in addition to my current occupation as maths teacher and teacher trainer. I mistakenly fancied my own abilities at this game a bit too much until I discovered this forum and found out what the term 'expert' truly meant. GTPlanet is an exceptional community and I am proud to have earned my tag racing amongst the best around. I also love the Nordic/Irish/Germanic connection in this team as I'm a frequent visitor to Iceland and a fan of old Viking sagas. Movazebe Rad-o-Bargh baash, meaning "Beware of thunder and lightning" in my native language!

GTP_Stealthwinnr [NO] (Division 1 Silver)

My name is Rune. I have been racing the GT series since GT2, and of course the different rally games over many years. At least the ones with a bit of realism in them, like the older Colin McRae games. Marchbrown and I have been driving these games together for many years now. I drive a truck in the summer and work in the ski resort in Geilo during the winter.

My racing experience is not that extensive, but I have tried some go-kart races with friends. I also try to use my motorcycle as much as I can during our short summers up here in the mountains. I would really like to take it to the track (hopefully next summer), just as I also want to try racing cars on track....

I enjoy racing a lot more than tuning, but I love the big reward when you get a car that works perfect on the track. Hope to race you all soon

43f1aa3e263b43d150f077f54828fe6a_3036.jpg
2577c73cbdc1ca9d12bfbc9013d02b75_3061.jpg

Me on my old bike. Me during wintertime with my board

GTP_PrudentBear [GB] (Division 1 Gold)

My name is John, 31 years old from Yorkshire in England. I studied maths at university, earn my living as a programmer and am currently living in Cheshire with my girlfriend.

Obviously I like cars or I wouldn't be hanging around in a place like this - I currently drive an EP3 Honda Civic Type R. It's a bit of a compromise but as an all rounder and in terms of bang for your buck, I can't fault it. Once I have a garage I intend to buy a banger for work and a proper sports car for the weekend. I prefer cars to motorbikes as my mode of transport but when it comes to watching racing I much prefer bikes and you will find me at the British round of the MotoGP as well as a couple of rounds of the British Superbike Championship (usually Oulton and Cadwell Park) and some road races at Oliver's Mount in Scarborough. I usually attend the Goodwood Revival each year which is simply a fantastic event. I'm a bit of a mountain biker too which is why I might not be online as much during the summer months.

I've been playing Gran Turismo since the first game and various other racing games before and since, starting back in the early 80s. I was lucky enough to get to the UK national final of the GT Academy competition last year where I finished 5th, narrowly missing out on a place at Silverstone.

It's been great racing you T&L guys and all the other GTPers up until now and I'm sure it will get even better when we finally have GT5.

GTP_Theewar [IE] (Division 2 Gold)

My name is Warren and I am the Irish side to the team[for now at least]. My background consists of jet-ski racing, a bit of karting and a lot of track days with both four and two wheels - but mostly on two wheels. I earn my living as a driving instructor. After spending 5 years driving trucks and seeing the lack of good drivers on the roads, I figured I could make a change and here I am. Anyway I sometimes create a good setup for a car, and every now and then I win races. Anything I can do to help anybody please feel free to ask me here.. Keep it lit and remember you have to go slow to go fast.

GTP_Tzayed [US] (Division 2 Bronze)

I am originally from Central New Jersey, about an hour from NYC. Since 2004 I have been living in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania at Lehigh University, about an hour north of Philadelphia and 1.5 hours west of NYC. I did my undergrad in a program called Integrated Business and Engineering, with a concentration in Mechanical Engineering, and I am currently getting my masters in Industrial Engineering, and I am also a teaching assistant in several entrepreneurial project courses.

My car history is: 2002 Honda CR-V, 2003 Mercedes ML 350, 2007 Honda Civic Si, 2004 VW R32, and currently a 2007 RS4 sedan. My father was a VW/Honda/MB dealer, and his father, his father, his father in law, and his father were all car dealers in New Jersey, going back to the 1910's. So cars have been a huge part of my life. If you are curious, I picked up the Audi during the recession, at a dealer inventory auction, with 15K miles, for less than half price. Haven't had nearly enough time to learn her capabilities, but I am learning fast.

For racing experience, I've done about 10 auto crosses with my R32, and two sessions of training in Formula Fords at Pocono Speedway. I'd be doing more track days now, but I'm not willing to use the Audi quite yet.

So..... there's my introduction. Hope you learned more about me! Can't wait for my first T&L event as a real T&L!

5c8bd0a01a4f73802f7646528c9d5bb2_3075.jpg
836cf8ba24d2efb5d4070a653aa6d8ba_3074.jpg

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Our Goals..
The T&L crew contains drivers of all ages and nationalities. The one thing in common is the sheer joy of racing. Establishing the T&L garage is inn recognition of GTPlanet - and what this society stands for. The T&L garage wishes to exploit the opportunities and take part in the development of this unique social group.

GTPlanet provides rules and regulations for the benefit of good racing. But it also creates a social environment for all the participants. This fact gets strengthened by establishing smaller social groups inside the forum. T&L racing garage will work in the spirit of togetherness among the team members, but also in the spirit of the GTP community.

picture.php

Check out what happens if you got struck..

Hit by lightning

The T&L Cheerleaders
6cdbf02bf949ffe4d3f35b28f7c9cf29_3048.jpg

profilepic112498_2.gif

Attachments

• Opening 761x598.JPG
    Opening 761x598.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,339
  • cheif1.jpg
    cheif1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 33
  • cheif2.jpg
    cheif2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 2008-Lightning-Girls.jpg
    2008-Lightning-Girls.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 51
  • img0338kx2.jpg
    img0338kx2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,258
Last edited:
Tuning shop closed, race garage opened. So, what does this all mean? :) Forgive me if that's a stupid question. ;)

Nice. I was already wondering when the first GT5P clan/race team would pop up here on GTP. :) A welcome addition to the GTP/GT5P community IMO. 👍

we are talking about it being cool if the MODERATORS could put up a thread together with
car tuning and settings
race events
drifting
RACE TEAMS
playstation 3 general forum.

it would be cool to have competitions between different race teams...

and since we are not sure where to put this thread, but as we are going to put up some tunes we put it here..

Last edited:
The reason for the GTI_tag.. I am a member of GranturismoIreland.. theres only 7members at the moment and you may only see me out there for now.When private rooms come along i hope you will see more of us..we follow the same rules as the GTP_rules so you should feel as safe around them as we do around GTP_tag drivers.peace

Last edited:
:cheers:Hi mates, it´s a pleasure to be part of this great team:)
Ok, something about me, my first name is Kai and i´m from Germany. I love racing in nearly all kinds. I also love to ride motorcycles and watch every Moto GP race(ok, and i watch nearly every kind of motorsport also):)
Since i started driving with you guys in GTPlanet, i have got to know this game in a completely new way:bowdown:
Thanks alot for some great racenights. I'm looking forward to some more to come.👍
Regards

Last edited:
My name is John. I live in Alaska, where it gets cold sometimes! The only racing i have done, is cross country snowmachine racing! Thats been a few years ago though. I still snowmachine with my sons, a can still keep up with them. I started the GT games with number 2. Prologue is the first racing game i have played online, and happy to be with THUNDER@LIGHTING RACE TEAM!

I see several of my "late-night" mates there. Good luck to those of you that are Thunder and to those of you that are Lightning. All the best! 👍

EDIT: And two fellow bikers. I admire you guys, because I use my bike everyday but I live in the "sunny south", that makes it easier :)

Last edited:
Ahh the famous Thunder & Lightning team :)

Cannot thank you boys enough for joining the Evora races, you are really helping to make that event a great success. Look forward to watching you all avoid my mistakes when we race again tonight!! :lol: 👍 :cheers:

All the best
Maz

last but not least..
hey guys, my name is Maciek from Lodz,Poland , I'm racing in gran turismo since the beginning of the series ( I feel like on AA meeting at the moment ;).
hobbies: movies (a lot of!!), books (brett easton ellis recently) , Miami Vice (call me Sonny Crockett ;) , sports (work related stuff and NFL, NBA , soccer ) , racing ( F1, super GT, Le Mans 24h , moto GP and few other series) & women ( the one and only at the moment).
extra info: I prefer jack daniels with 7up (77 connection) over anything else..
Let my racing do my talking..
cheers

piece of polish automotive history: FSO Polonez:

maybe that is why we don't have too many (one to be exact) good racing drivers...oh, and 45 years of communism..

HI folks.turn your sound up lots for this video..

Last edited:
Hi guys!

Nice team you have. I have raced against all your members many times, and I really respect your driving. It's most hardest to be same time fast, and clean... but you all can do that everytime.

Be welcome to link my Evora-Cup videos from http://www.youtube.com/AutoAki to your site, if you want. There is plenty of your yellow Evoras starring. I still have originals too, so if you want real HQ of some, it is possible.

Visit sometime in NISMO INTERNATIONAL SHOWDOWN, which is yesterday created by BRracing_ProtoX. I think it might be good event too. Idea is to have a good race between different teams.

I'm just doing setups for tonight. Gonna try 'shoot' some races with Skyline Tuned.

See you somewhere!

Last edited:
I think it's time you boys posted your Lotus Evora tune here so I can have a go :)

All the best
Maz

LOTUS EVORA 674pp Suz - Fun car

THUNDER & LIGHTNING
TUNE RECORD SHEET
MANUFACTURER:LOTUS COLOUR: PUKE YELLOW
MODEL: EVORA PP: 674
CAR NAME: FUN CAR CIRCUIT: Suzuka

SETUP DETAILS TRANSIMISSION Gear Ratio
Settup nr 3 1st 70 3.276
Power 391 ± 40 2nd 127 1.809
Weight 1130 % 85 3rd 175 1.316
4th 240 0.960
5th 329 0.818
Front Rear 6th 396 0.698
Tyres R3 R3 Final
Ride height -28 -29
Spring rate 4 6 Notes:
Damper 7 7
Toe +/- +0,05 -0,03
Camber 1.0 1.2
Break 7 8
F/A T Split
Turning 40
Traction off
ABS 1

Last edited:
Hey Jon

Cheers for posting that! Like Bollox though, I have found it difficult tocome to terms with this setup. It's a bit like the other "fun" tune you gave me for the California :lol: I had to turn up the TC to suffocate some of the "fun" but I couldn't see how I would break into the 2'04s with my driving style and this setup, I didn't even manage a 2'05. I'm quite certain it's the way I drive, although since both Bollox and I struggled, it could be that it isn't very sixaxis friendly?

However, having said that, the car seemed superb on the brakes into casio, I could drop the anchors much later than my DC tune. It was also marginally faster down the straights and swift out of the hairpin, I liked that. Also, I seemed to be able to keep the throttle down more in the first part of dunlop. As a result, I did manage a 54.8 in T1 despite being somewhat uncomfortable. Maybe with a loooot of practice I could get back on terms with my other time, a 2'05.373.

Unfortunately, it was too twitchy and sometimes unpredictable under braking, very uncomfortable into turn 1 without TC. Maybe that was the slightly higher rear-biased brake setup.

Again though, much appreciated mate, it was nice to give another setup a go and I will continue to try out anything you post!

All the best
Maz

GT LM spec II test car tune for pp 800 high speed ring

TUNE I NOT FOR GARAGE SHOWDOWN

Bhp -8
kg 85%
tyres R3/R3
aero 14/25
ride height -14/-12
spring rate 7/7
damper 6/8
toe -0.07/-0.18
camber 1.5/1.6
brake balance 6/7
max turning angle 40
traction control off
abs 1

1st gear 2.250
2nd gear 1.518
3rd gear 1.219
4th gear 1.023
5th gear 0.819
6th gear 0.686
final gear 4.417

TUNE II FOR GARAGE SHOWDOWN

Bhp -4
kg 86%
tyres R1/R3
aero 18/27
ride height -14/-12
spring rate 6/5
damper 5/6
toe +0.18/-0.18
camber 1.5/1.7
brake balance 7/8
max turning angle 40
traction control off
abs 1

1st gear 2.274
2nd gear 1.518
3rd gear 1.231
4th gear 0.985
5th gear 0.823
6th gear 0.686
final gear 3.727

DRIVING TIPS

Be sure to meet with throttle when going off the brakes. It can easily be steered a bit with the rear if you let off the trottle an instant.

TUNE DEVELOPMENT THOUGHTS

In TUNE II our goal has been to make the car easier to control while in mid turn, and to try to get more bhp out of it, while keeping it controllable. Because of massive torque the car easily oversteers. The rear wheels lock up and cause the back end to spin out when you go off the throttle, caused by to much grip on the rear. With the brute power of the car it gets powerslides very easy, and this is even more present with lots of friction on the front tires.
Thats why we have been focusing on balancing the grip of the car, with a special interest of the rear physics.

GT-LM spec II test car tune for suzuka 750pp

Bhp -29
weight 85%
tyres R1/R3
aero 16/29
ride height -14/-12
spring rate 7/7
damper 6/8
toe -0.07/-0.18
camber 1.5/1.7
brake balance 6/7
steering 40
traction control off
abs 1

gear ratios

1. 2.250
2. 1.518
3. 1.181
4. 0.983
5. 0.794
6. 0.686
final 4.742

Last edited:
I tried this last night to see if I could improve on my hotlap time. My thoughs...

Best lap 2'05.2

The shorter gearing certainly makes it 'feel' and sound quicker than the DC tune as it really picks up well in 3rd gear - so it's great through the esses/dunlop/spoon. But a consequence of the shorter 3rd gear is that 4th gear needs to be shorter too, and thus you need 5th gear on both straights - adding an extra 4 gear changes. For me at least, this doesn't work as well - in to turn 1, where the rear wants to step out off the power, I like to balance the brake (using left foot) with a bit of power, and trying to manage a down change to 4th whilst braking and having some gas on all at the same time is a bit tricky! And it's really tricky to co-ordinate the brake dab/downchange/turn-in/throttle on sequence in to 130r... personally, I'd rather not have to use 5th at all.

Suspension wise it feels very smooth... the harder shocks make it a little more 'slidey' than the DC tune, and coupled with the toe settings this makes it very adjustable ;) For me it's fine in to and through turn 1 and 2 (benefit of using a wheel I guess), and it's really good through the esses. But I really struggled to get through Degner 1 consistently at much over 108mph without big risk of the rear stepping out (in the DC tune I'm getting 110 mph, sometimes as high as 114 mph). And through 130r I couldn't get above 138 mph (140-142 mph in DC) without the rear getting too mobile.

Not sure if I read the toe setting right though... is that really positive front and negative rear? If that is right, IMHO I these settings make it too sharp and unstable on turn-in at high speed... being mid-engined the Evora turns quite quickly anyway, and setting the front positive and the rear negative just increases the tendancy of the car to turn faster when the rear is unloaded (when braking or when coming off the throttle with lock applied). I wondered if I read them wrong and when I switched them to negative front and positive rear it worked better.

To me, this tune feels really suited to on-line racing - it's much more adjustable than the DC tune so you could run different lines with it and the RBE would calm down the over-mobile rear a bit.

Ah maybe I will change the toe to what Stotty has recommended, I'm willing to give this another try as I'm desperate to break into the 2'04s.

Stotty has put into exactly correct words what I was experiencing in Turn 1 and 130R.

All the best
Maz

Yes, you're right; IME a car that is neutral in free-run will generally understeer on-line due to RBE... most of my cars for on-line are very tail-happy in free run :D

I'm not using 2nd at all from the exit of Casio until braking for the hairpin... I'm changing down to 3rd at the same time as you in to turn 2 but I find 3rd to be quite managable for the exit and all through the esses.

I must be pulling a faster line through Dunlop as if I didn't brake for Degner 1 I'd fly straight off!! On a good lap, I'm flat from the last corner of the esses right up to braking for Degner 1 except for a tiny feathering of the throttle just before entry to Dunlop (just to get the nose in to the apex)... I don't remember how fast I'm travelling before Dunlop, but it must be in excess of 120mph (c.193kmh), and there's no way I'd make Degner at that speed without braking. For me, this is the hardest part of the lap to get absolutely right... if I carry too much speed in Degner 1 it's hard to get the line right in to Degner 2, and I want to be fully on the gas (in 3rd) by the apex of Degner 2 for a quick time... very tricky to control the understeer/oversteer for me through here as no gas = oversteer and too much gas = understeer or oversteer!

Agree, hairpin in critical to a fast lap - vital to not understeer here yet still get on the power before the apex.

I slightly lengthened your 3rd and 4th gears to save using 5th on the straight, but I'm still hitting >150mph before 130r, so need to brake (early) a touch before balancing the throttle and then turning in... should be 140mph (c.226kmh)... I'll try just lifting and see if that works.

And I agree on the sixaxis... for most people (bollox excepted!), to be really quick in MR cars wihtout a wheel and pedals is extremely tough.

Back