Thursday Night Practice (Formerly Driving School)

• Thread starter Neutty
  • 465 comments
Ds4 really doesn’t have that much to do with it. No matter what you are on we can help you. Some may be a fine tune to braking points.

I will just throw this out there. I was a controller user in GT since the day GT1 was released all the way up to GTS.
I recently switched to a wheel setup less than a year ago ( March of 2019 ).
I have so much to learn now since making that switch but I wouldn't go back to a controller for anything.

So if you or anyone eles has recently gone to a wheel setup please just stick with it because it is so worth it in the long run.
Hahaha same for me. I picked up mine back in July 2019 and found out a lot of new trajectories and driving style.

I just tried putting a W08 in Spa and the difference is 3 seconds on my best laps.

Don't forget that tonight we will be giving this a shot. There will be 2 lobbies opened by myself and @Neutty along with 2 chat parties. Please when you jump in a lobby please join in on the corresponding party Chat.

I just want to watch drivers make some laps and give some pointers at this time as well as helping you with any questions anyone may have.

Don't forget that tonight we will be giving this a shot. There will be 2 lobbies opened by myself and @Neutty along with 2 chat parties. Please when you jump in a lobby please join in on the corresponding party Chat.

I just want to watch drivers make some laps and give some pointers at this time as well as helping you with any questions anyone may have.
To piggy back off of this, if you dont have a mic, I still ask that you join a party chat, we can still give you pointers and such. We are focusing on watching you make laps and fine tuning you on the fly. We don’t plan on focusing on braking or passing, etc. that may come at a later date. HOWEVER, if we see one of those is something that we can help on the fly we will help with that.

With wildcards being double points, I wanted to make it a point to give everyone equal opportunity to make as many points as possible. If this is a success, I’ll look into doing another before the next wildcard.

See you all tonight!!

*I have to clean up something real quick and I’ll be right back.

b40c5f257b9045d5b299fc5267dcad90_3f9c95664f934bcacb078671fdf5533c_1_original.jpeg

So my schedule just didn't allow for me join the driving school so I will just ask a few questions instead.

Yesterday's Gr.4 Viper race was a blast but the gap between @SAMHAIN85 2:28.014 and my 2:30.933 is what I need the most information on. That almost a 3 second difference between us. Now I could have pushed it into the high 2:29 range like I was doing in practice but my race didn't call for that so I didn't try and force myself to run any faster and risk doing something stupid.

However a very very low 2:28 is completely unattainable by me at this time. Yet there are a few of you who run those times or comparable lap times every race we do. So I see it as not being the car your in or a combination of car and track that allows those drivers to achieve such superior lap times so it must be driver technique because it doesn't matter what or where they are racing..as they are always this fast no matter what.

So what am I doing wrong that's holding me back from transcending to that next level?
If I had to assume the problem then I'd say it comes down to my braking in some areas but even then I can't see a 3 second difference.
If anyone has time then watch the replay of my Gr.4 Viper race and tell me the first major problem you see with my driving I would be forever grateful.

I know nothing will happen overnight but I could really use some constructive criticism that will at least give me something to work on.

It's the little things like braking later getting on the gas earlier, using 4th gear instead of 3rd gear all those amount up to seconds over the course of a lap at spa. While I was only achieving a 2:29.0 I also wasn't push to the full potential of the car.

I was more worried about average time rather than running a fats lap or two and then not have tires for the rest of the stent.

Another thing with spa was you can really abuse most of the curbs around the track without getting into the green painted area. @BGCaligula followed my line for about 8 laps and saw many flaws in his line I shouldve streamed the race but forgot to hit the button before we started.

Basically all the little things add up over the course of a lap maybe where you braked at the 125 meter mark the faster guys were braking at the 100 meter board or even 75.

This track is so much fun in a gr4 car I posted my best lap of a 2.26.6 I believe on tuesday night in the Mercedes. But the viper gearing just didnt have that kind of pace for me to get that low I did run a couple of low 28s when I was practicing and 1 high 27 they would be very hard to achieve in a race setting...

Sorry for the ramble

It's the little things like braking later getting on the gas earlier, using 4th gear instead of 3rd gear all those amount up to seconds over the course of a lap at spa. While I was only achieving a 2:29.0 I also wasn't push to the full potential of the car.

I was more worried about average time rather than running a fats lap or two and then not have tires for the rest of the stent.

Another thing with spa was you can really abuse most of the curbs around the track without getting into the green painted area. @BGCaligula followed my line for about 8 laps and saw many flaws in his line I shouldve streamed the race but forgot to hit the button before we started.

Basically all the little things add up over the course of a lap maybe where you braked at the 125 meter mark the faster guys were braking at the 100 meter board or even 75.

This track is so much fun in a gr4 car I posted my best lap of a 2.26.6 I believe on tuesday night in the Mercedes. But the viper gearing just didnt have that kind of pace for me to get that low I did run a couple of low 28s when I was practicing and 1 high 27 they would be very hard to achieve in a race setting...

Sorry for the ramble
I appreciated that @Herimopp89, I never did thank you for your time.

I highly recommend to anyone who's interested to try it. Following his line made me recognize some of my mistakes pretty quickly. The major one being, I tend to turn in too early compromising my corner exit. That one was very easy to spot, much much easier than it is to fix lol, but when you're conscious of it, it really helps. Think about losing a tenth or two every turn, over 15 turns... It's the little things.

Shout out to @Jw_wk1010 too. Following you for so long at the race at Sainte Croix was a tutorial of it's own.

Sorry for the ramble

No rambling.. I thought all this was great information. I know I didn't use the curbs to my advantage this time around because in the 1.5hr race we did here I lost control of the Porsche on the first lap using the curbs. I was really being overly cautious in that regard.
I was also more worried about my average lap times and tire saving than busting out a fast lap time as well.
Even if I wasn't being cautious I still couldn't reach those times.

I also run more brake bias to the rear (2) in races with higher tire wear to help with front tire wear.
I know if I use front brake bias (2) I have better control, faster turn in and better trail braking but I will abuse those front tires in the process.
What are your thoughts on this?

Hey guys, will any of you be around tomorrow night to get some practice laps in for the Miata series? I really need to practice racing with this wonky gas/pedal button setup to see how it works in a group of cars. I tried the Sport Mode Bathurst race but that track wasn't the best regardless what with all the bumping

That long straight if you get through turn 1 really good you can make .3-.4 up alone in mph. Then in the first set of S’s, knowing where you can give a little to get the maximum mph down the next straight is key. That’s another 3ish tenths. Getting through the downhill carousel and into he throttle at the opportune time is key, .1 second the left hander after carousel getting off of that good .1-.2 the double left getting through that really really good is about .2-.3. The S’s after that if done well .1. Getting through the double right without lifting can add .2-.3 (going down the straight with more mph) the fast dog leg, not lifting is another .1. Then the chicane, the exit is everything. To get the run down the front straight. Alone that’s .1 to finish the lap, and atleast another .1 to start the next.

The minimum here is 1.6 seconds and that’s not including the Really good exits that give you another few tenths.
After that is corner speed and that comes with braking in. (Trail braking)

Not until you see my race pace. My laptimes were like almost 10 seconds off! :lol:

Of course that's excluding my 3 spins for a win attempt.

That long straight if you get through turn 1 really good you can make .3-.4 up alone in mph. Then in the first set of S’s, knowing where you can give a little to get the maximum mph down the next straight is key. That’s another 3ish tenths. Getting through the downhill carousel and into he throttle at the opportune time is key, .1 second the left hander after carousel getting off of that good .1-.2 the double left getting through that really really good is about .2-.3. The S’s after that if done well .1. Getting through the double right without lifting can add .2-.3 (going down the straight with more mph) the fast dog leg, not lifting is another .1. Then the chicane, the exit is everything. To get the run down the front straight. Alone that’s .1 to finish the lap, and atleast another .1 to start the next.

The minimum here is 1.6 seconds and that’s not including the Really good exits that give you another few tenths.
After that is corner speed and that comes with braking in. (Trail braking)

You can only attribute all of what you said to a lot of experience time behind a Wheel or DS4.
There is so much information there to process then apply it's simply to much to do all at once. I have to give myself some slack has I haven't even been on a wheel setup for an entire year yet. Not everything can be learned so fast and just takes time before you can put it all together.
Would be awesome if the game allowed you to practice individual sectors for practice.

Thanks for that insight and it gives me great motivation & goals to aim for.

Not until you see my race pace. My laptimes were like almost 10 seconds off! :lol:

Of course that's excluding my 3 spins for a win attempt.

I got to race with you a few times Saturday. I thought you were doing a great job and had a fast pace everytime we had the opportunity to run together.

You can only attribute all of what you said to a lot of experience time behind a Wheel or DS4.
There is so much information there to process then apply it's simply to much to do all at once. I have to give myself some slack has I haven't even been on a wheel setup for an entire year yet. Not everything can be learned so fast and just takes time before you can put it all together.
Would be awesome if the game allowed you to practice individual sectors for practice.

Thanks for that insight and it gives me great motivation & goals to aim for.

I got to race with you a few times Saturday. I thought you were doing a great job and had a fast pace everytime we had the opportunity to run together.
Yeah it was a decent fight though I was struggling all weekend. Couldn't do a flat out up Eau Rouge and had very bad front grip in the middle sector, which led to me running very wide and ditching the car.

I actually destroyed my front tires by lap 2 which forced me to pit in earlier than expected...

Managed to slightly improve the situation by shifting BB to +2 but still not a good one. I'm still reviewing my skills and speed around the corners since I felt good under braking but not putting the power down.

Yesterday's Gr.4 Viper race was a blast but the gap between @SAMHAIN85 2:28.014 and my 2:30.933 is what I need the most information on. That almost a 3 second difference between us. Now I could have pushed it into the high 2:29 range like I was doing in practice but my race didn't call for that so I didn't try and force myself to run any faster and risk doing something stupid.

What compound were you running?

I was definitely taking it easy on the tires and stretched them out to 6 laps a few times, so I was also not trying to push too hard and burn them up. My optimal lap was a 2:27.200 which was most likely from a tow I got down one of the long straights. But like Herri said, its better in the long run to concentrate on consistent avg laps on a track like that, rather than one fast one and subsequent laps much slower because your tires are shot.

However a very very low 2:28 is completely unattainable by me at this time. Yet there are a few of you who run those times or comparable lap times every race we do. So I see it as not being the car your in or a combination of car and track that allows those drivers to achieve such superior lap times so it must be driver technique because it doesn't matter what or where they are racing..as they are always this fast no matter what.

Its all relative to individual skill. And if you do something long enough and put in the time, just like with anything, you'll improve. I have raced in SNAIL on and off for over 3 years now. I have a catalog of drivers in my head with whom I've raced with and I know how quick they will be in any combo before we even get on track. I've seen them all either get better, plateau for long periods of time, and sometimes very rarely actually get worse.

I raced in a few of the FIA seasons and was matched up against some of the World Tour drivers. No matter which combo it was, or how much I liked the track, I simply could not compete or hold a candle to some of their laptimes. So the mindset you have right now about your lap times vs my laptimes is exactly how I feel when I think about some other drivers. "How the hell can they do that?" But after racing with those guys week in and week out for about 2 seasons I found myself improving. Just because the bar was set so high. And with that my confidence also went up. I also learned how to conserve tires and fuel which I never had to do before. SNAIL is strictly sprint racing and thats all I was used to for years. So I can say without a doubt I became a more experienced and well versed driver after competing in those FIA seasons and matched against drivers much faster than me.

Tex just mentioned not too long ago how far him and Nick have progressed since ARL's inception, and I agree. They are leaps and bounds better drivers than a year ago. And I expect them to continue improving because they are dedicated to this game and league.

If you do something week in and week out and actually get worse at it, something is seriously wrong. Maybe your head's not in the game anymore or you've lost any sort of desire or motivation.

So what am I doing wrong that's holding me back from transcending to that next level?
If I had to assume the problem then I'd say it comes down to my braking in some areas but even then I can't see a 3 second difference.
If anyone has time then watch the replay of my Gr.4 Viper race and tell me the first major problem you see with my driving I would be forever grateful.

I was not able to save the replay from my race because:

2pscbz.jpg

THE SHI:censored:ER hard drive was full

But if anyone else from the Silver lobby can upload it, I'lll be happy to do a side by side comparison of my fast lap vs your fast lap through each sector, show you the split second where I'm braking vs where you're braking, speed trap comparisons, and how we both might be approaching turns differently.

I know nothing will happen overnight but I could really use some constructive criticism that will at least give me something to work on.

I'm willing to bet you'll shave close to a second off your lap when you have some guidelines to go off of and things to think about. I'm happy to help

Last edited:
What compound were you running?

I was definitely taking it easy on the tires and stretched them out to 6 laps a few times, so I was also not trying to push too hard and burn them up. My optimal lap was a 2:27.200 which was most likely from a tow I got down one of the long straights. But like Herri said, its better in the long run to concentrate on consistent avg laps on a track like that, rather than one fast one and subsequent laps much slower because your tires are shot.

Its all relative to individual skill. And if you do something long enough and put in the time, just like with anything, you'll improve. I have raced in SNAIL on and off for over 3 years now. I have a catalog of drivers in my head with whom I've raced with and I know how quick they will be in any combo before we even get on track. I've seen them all either get better, plateau for long periods of time, and sometimes very rarely actually get worse.

I raced in a few of the FIA seasons and was matched up against some of the World Tour drivers. No matter which combo it was, or how much I liked the track, I simply could not compete or hold a candle to some of their laptimes. So the mindset you have right now about your lap times vs my laptimes is exactly how I feel when I think about some other drivers. "How the hell can they do that?" But after racing with those guys week in and week out for about 2 seasons I found myself improving. Just because the bar was set so high. And with that my confidence also went up. I also learned how to conserve tires and fuel which I never had to do before. SNAIL is strictly sprint racing and thats all I was used to for years. So I can say without a doubt I became a more experienced and well versed driver after competing in those FIA seasons and matched against drivers much faster than me.

Tex just mentioned not too long ago how far him and Nick have progressed since ARL's inception, and I agree. They are leaps and bounds better drivers than a year ago. And I expect them to continue improving because they are dedicated to this game and league.

If you do something week in and week out and actually get worse at it, something is seriously wrong. Maybe your head's not in the game anymore or you've lost any sort of desire or motivation.

I was not able to save the replay from my race because:

View attachment 868523

THE SHI:censored:ER hard drive was full

But if anyone else from the Silver lobby can upload it, I'lll be happy to do a side by side comparison of my fast lap vs your fast lap through each sector, show you the split second where I'm braking vs where you're braking, speed trap comparisons, and how we both might be approaching turns differently.

I'm willing to bet you'll shave close to a second off your lap when you have some guidelines to go off of and things to think about. I'm happy to help
This guy!!! Lucky to have someone like you within our community. Thanks Sam.

Sam I will upload the replay when I get home from work.

I appreciated that @Herimopp89, I never did thank you for your time.

I highly recommend to anyone who's interested to try it. Following his line made me recognize some of my mistakes pretty quickly. The major one being, I tend to turn in too early compromising my corner exit. That one was very easy to spot, much much easier than it is to fix lol, but when you're conscious of it, it really helps. Think about losing a tenth or two every turn, over 15 turns... It's the little things.

Shout out to @Jw_wk1010 too. Following you for so long at the race at Sainte Croix was a tutorial of it's own.

Lol thanks man it's pretty well like everyone else says I just try to focus more on my exit speed vs entry and I try to not every really push my tires too much. Which usually ends up in me being way to easy and costing myself time lol but every once in a while I get it right.

Thanks. If it's not so bad I'm gonna race on Wednesday with my wheel button setup

Back