Thursday Night Practice (Formerly Driving School)

• Thread starter Neutty
  • 465 comments
And is every single person ever gonna be in that lobby? Lol, so I guess if you're in that race just ignore me as usual. If not, maybe we can practice

I think heri was just letting you know there might not be a lot of people on practicing tonight.

I should have a miata room open for about half an hour and then I'll be practicing Gr3.

This all depends on what my wife and daughter have planned for me.

What compound were you running?

I was on RS the entire race.

I was definitely taking it easy on the tires and stretched them out to 6 laps a few times, so I was also not trying to push too hard and burn them up. My optimal lap was a 2:27.200 which was most likely from a tow I got down one of the long straights. But like Herri said, its better in the long run to concentrate on consistent avg laps on a track like that, rather than one fast one and subsequent laps much slower because your tires are shot.

I'm happy to know at least I'm doing something right here by concerning myself with overall adv lap times and others are doing the same thing even if it looks and feels like nobody else is.

Its all relative to individual skill. And if you do something long enough and put in the time, just like with anything, you'll improve. I have raced in SNAIL on and off for over 3 years now. I have a catalog of drivers in my head with whom I've raced with and I know how quick they will be in any combo before we even get on track. I've seen them all either get better, plateau for long periods of time, and sometimes very rarely actually get worse.

I raced in a few of the FIA seasons and was matched up against some of the World Tour drivers. No matter which combo it was, or how much I liked the track, I simply could not compete or hold a candle to some of their laptimes. So the mindset you have right now about your lap times vs my laptimes is exactly how I feel when I think about some other drivers. "How the hell can they do that?" But after racing with those guys week in and week out for about 2 seasons I found myself improving. Just because the bar was set so high. And with that my confidence also went up. I also learned how to conserve tires and fuel which I never had to do before. SNAIL is strictly sprint racing and thats all I was used to for years. So I can say without a doubt I became a more experienced and well versed driver after competing in those FIA seasons and matched against drivers much faster than me.

I keep telling myself I've only been serious about online racing for two years and less than a year of that time has been on a wheel setup. The one thing I see that remains almost constant is very fast people like yourself have been at this for a long time.
To know that if someday I can be as consistent and fast as yourself that there is still a whole another level to reach for after that goal is achieved is very humbling but motivating too.

Tex just mentioned not too long ago how far him and Nick have progressed since ARL's inception, and I agree. They are leaps and bounds better drivers than a year ago. And I expect them to continue improving because they are dedicated to this game and league.

If you do something week in and week out and actually get worse at it, something is seriously wrong. Maybe your head's not in the game anymore or you've lost any sort of desire or motivation.

I always feel like I've accomplished something when I can run with the fast people during our races even if it's only for a few laps because of how good they are. I see so much talent spread out through ARL and it one of the reasons I enjoy racing with everyone.
I'm definitely not getting any worse but I have reached the point where progress is slower now.

Christmas Vacation is one of my favorite movies of all time.

But if anyone else from the Silver lobby can upload it, I'lll be happy to do a side by side comparison of my fast lap vs your fast lap through each sector, show you the split second where I'm braking vs where you're braking, speed trap comparisons, and how we both might be approaching turns differently.

The fact you would take time to do something like this means more than you could ever imagine.

I'm willing to bet you'll shave close to a second off your lap when you have some guidelines to go off of and things to think about. I'm happy to help

I have so much to work towards now I'm excited to get started even though I know the process will be slow.
I honestly can't thank you and everyone else enough for the help. It really means a lot.

Is there an ideal guide for Gr.4 cars around Spa? Or perhaps suggested someone's best, consistent lap.

I watched the replay last night and it seems that I'm lacking speed in certain corners but no idea which ones that resulted me in being pretty slow and inconsistent.

Is there an ideal guide for Gr.4 cars around Spa? Or perhaps suggested someone's best, consistent lap.

I watched the replay last night and it seems that I'm lacking speed in certain corners but no idea which ones that resulted me in being pretty slow and inconsistent.

I will take a look between yours and mine tomorrow.

Would greatly appreciate that. I watched a few other cars too but still left a little lost in there.

If we can find some time tomorrow. I will open up a practice lobby with the race Settings and maybe we can run some laps together. That's the best way I know to help.

Check out David perel on YouTube he normally has some really good stuff

Check out David perel on YouTube he normally has some really good stuff
Aye noted on that. Gonna refer to that when I get some homework done. I'm having a bad struggle with middle sector.

I recall someone gave me a YouTube link for Autopolis from another channel and it helped me shave off seconds.

Some things to think about before I breakdown the laps:
  • I have never attempted anything like this before so bare with me here.
  • I have slightly less fuel than you
  • I'm tucked in behind Herrimopp so I'm getting a tow that you dont have. But when watching the replay you'll notice I'm shifting at around 75% for most of the lap. I was content sitting in his draft while trying to conserve fuel and the last thing on my mind was setting a fast lap.
  • I came up with sector splits by pausing each lap at roughly the same point on track we both were

R= Rinsky
S= SAMHAIN

If you click play simultaneously on both of these videos youll be able to watch a side by side comparison of each lap.

Turn 1 brake
R:

T1brake-rinskey.PNG

S:

T1-brake-sam.PNG

Both on brakes at about the same spot. I might be on them slightly later looking at the speedometer's

T1 100% off brakes
R:

T1offbrake-rinsky.PNG

S:

T1-offbrake-sam.PNG

Screenshots show when we have exactly 0 brake input. You are off brakes well before I am, while I applied brakes almost to the apex. I used quite a bit of trail braking.

T1 exit:
R:

t1exit-rinsky.PNG

S:

T1-exit-sam.PNG

We're both on the same trajectory after T1 apex. It looks like I'm on the gas slightly earlier.

Sector 1 split:

R:

S1-split-rinsky.PNG

S:

S1-split-sam.PNG

After 1 turn I am already 1/2 second up on you. Notice the speed differential: 121mph vs 123 mph

R: 20.876
S: 20.381(-.495)

T2:

R:

T2-rinksy.PNG

S:

T2-sam.PNG

At the bottom of the hill you let off the throttle and lose a lot of time right there. Taking this section with 100% throttle while not cutting the track is certainly doable. 128mph vs 134mph

T3 brake:

R:

T3-brake-rinsky.PNG

S:

T3-brake-sam.PNG

After getting a tow from Herri down the straight, I was on the brakes long before you were. Again, I was concentrating on conserving tires and trying to keep from using 100% brake as much as possible. 136mph vs 148mph

T3 apex:

T3-apex-rinsky.PNG

S:

T3-apex-sam.PNG

We're on the same line through the apex. While you're slightly faster, its all for nothing if you dont get setup for the upcoming S turns.

T4 apex:

R:

T4-apex-rinsky.PNG

S:

T4-apex-sam.PNG

You're still slightly faster but were still on the same line.

T4 exit / T5 entry:

T5-entry-rinsky.PNG

S:

T5-entry-sam.PNG

So even though you carried more speed than I did through the first series of these turns; you hung yourself out to dry and struggled to bring the car back to the left side of the track to setup for the next right hand turn. 77mph vs 82mph

T5 apex:

R:

T5-apex-rinsky.PNG

S:

T5-apex-sam.PNG

I'm almost a half car length inside than you are all due to setting up the turn on a tighter line. You can also see with the red dot that I'm not even at full lock. The phrase slow in fast out is something to think about through here. 83mph vs 87mph

Sector 2 split:

R:

S2-split-rinsky.PNG

S:

S2-split-sam.PNG

R: 60.259
S: 58.514 (-1.745)

I'm now up almost 2 full seconds and were barely a minute into the lap. Small imperfections staring to add up.

T6 brake:

R:

T6-brake-rinsky.PNG

S:

T6-brake-sam.PNG

You're on the brakes later than I am while I'm trying to save tires. Your brake point seems fine though

T6 apex:

R:

T6-apex-rinsky.PNG

S:

T6-apex-sam.PNG

I'm taking a slightly tighter line than you (and traveling a shorter distance)

T6 exit:

R:

T6-exit-rinsky.PNG

S:

T6-exit-sam.PNG

Exit seems fine

T7 brake:

R:

T7-brake-rinsky.PNG

S:

T7-brake-sam.PNG

Were on the brakes at about the same time. I'm carrying a little more speed though

T7 apex:

R:

T7-apex-rinsky.PNG

S:

T7-apex-sam.PNG

I'm on a slightly tighter line which allowed me to get on the gas quicker

Sector 3 split:

R:

S3-split-rinsky.PNG

S:

S3-split-sam.PNG

R: 77.343
S: 75.531 (-1.812)

T8 brake:

R:

T8-brake-rinsky.PNG

S:

T8-brake-sam.PNG

Again on the brakes early

T8 apex:

R:

T8-apex-rinsky.PNG

S:

T8-apex-sam.PNG

Same lines and speed

T8 exit:

R:

T8-exit-rinsky.PNG

S:

T8-exit-sam.PNG

Same exit speeds. I dont think you lost anytime through this section.

Sector 4 split:

R:

S4-split-rinsky.PNG

S:

S4-split-sam.PNG

R: 92.659
S: 90.714 (-1.945)

I only gained 1 tenth on you from the previous sector splits

T9 brake:

R:

T9-brake-rinsky.PNG

S:

T9-brake-sam.PNG

I'm on the brakes well before you are

T9 apex:

R:

T9-apex-rinsky.PNG

S:

T9-apex-sam.PNG

Again I'm on a much tighter line than you are which allows me to get on the gas earlier

T9 exit:

R:

T9-exit-rinsky.PNG

S:

T9-exit-sam.PNG

I'm set up further right approaching the next turn

T10 entry:

R:

T10-entry-rinsky.PNG

S:

T10-entry-sam.PNG

Starting to notice a trend here. I'm much more aggressive attacking the inside of the apex/corners than you are.

**I gotta run but I'll finish this guide later today or tomorrow. Hopefully you'll find this helpful and have some stuff to think about now. You should take the viper out for another spin and let us know if you've improved.

Attachments

• T4-exit-rinsky.PNG
    T4-exit-rinsky.PNG
    77.3 KB · Views: 15
  • T5-exit-rinsky.PNG
    T5-exit-rinsky.PNG
    87.2 KB · Views: 14
  • T7-exit-rinsky.PNG
    T7-exit-rinsky.PNG
    75.1 KB · Views: 14
  • T8-brake-rinsky.PNG
    T8-brake-rinsky.PNG
    69.9 KB · Views: 14
  • T5-apex-rinsky.PNG
    T5-apex-rinsky.PNG
    87.2 KB · Views: 15
  • S2-split-rinsky.PNG
    S2-split-rinsky.PNG
    78 KB · Views: 14
  • I'm tucked in behind Herrimopp so I'm getting a tow that you dont have. But when watching the replay you'll notice I'm shifting at around 75% for most of the lap. I was content sitting in his draft while trying to conserve fuel and the last thing on my mind was setting a fast lap.
  • I came up with sector splits by pausing each lap at roughly the same point on track we both were

R= Rinsky
S= SAMHAIN

If you click play simultaneously on both of these videos youll be able to watch a side by side comparison of each lap.

Turn 1 brake
R:

View attachment 870190
S:

View attachment 870191

Both on brakes at about the same spot. I might be on them slightly later looking at the speedometer's

T1 100% off brakes
R:

View attachment 870194

S:

View attachment 870195

Screenshots show when we have exactly 0 brake input. You are off brakes well before I am, while I applied brakes almost to the apex. I used quite a bit of trail braking.

T1 exit:
R:

View attachment 870192

S:

View attachment 870233

We're both on the same trajectory after T1 apex. It looks like I'm on the gas slightly earlier.

Sector 1 split:

R:

View attachment 870177

S:

View attachment 870178

After 1 turn I am already 1/2 second up on you. Notice the speed differential: 121mph vs 123 mph

T2:

R:

View attachment 870196

S:

View attachment 870197

At the bottom of the hill you let off the throttle and lose a lot of time right there. Taking this section with 100% throttle while not cutting the track is certainly doable. 128mph vs 134mph

T3 brake:

R:

View attachment 870199

S:

View attachment 870234

After getting a tow from Herri down the straight, I was on the brakes long before you were. Again, I was concentrating on conserving tires and trying to keep from using 100% brake as much as possible. 136mph vs 148mph

T3 apex:

View attachment 870198

S:

View attachment 870235

We're on the same line through the apex. While you're slightly faster, its all for nothing if you dont get setup for the upcoming S turns.

T4 apex:

R:

View attachment 870200

S:

View attachment 870238

T4 exit / T5 entry:

View attachment 870203

S:

View attachment 870239

So even though you carried more speed than I did through the first series of these turns; you hung yourself out to dry and struggled to bring the car back to the left side of the track to setup for the next right hand turn. 77mph vs 82mph

T5 apex:

R:

View attachment 870202

S:

View attachment 870241

I'm almost a half car length inside than you are all due to setting up the turn on a tighter line. You can also see with the red dot that I'm not even at full lock. The phrase slow in fast out is something to think about through here. 83mph vs 87mph

Sector 2 split:

R:

View attachment 870179

S:

View attachment 870243

I'm now up almost 2 full seconds and were barely a minute into the lap. Small imperfections staring to add up.

T6 brake:

R:

View attachment 870206

S:

View attachment 870319

You're on the brakes later than I am while I'm trying to save tires. Your brake point seems fine though

T6 apex:

R:

View attachment 870205

S:

View attachment 870322

T6 exit:

R:

View attachment 870207

S:

View attachment 870330

Exit seems fine

T7 brake:

R:

View attachment 870209

S:

View attachment 870331

Were on the brakes at about the same time. I'm carrying a little more speed though

T7 apex:

R:

View attachment 870208

S:

View attachment 870332

Sector 3 split:

R:

View attachment 870180

S:

View attachment 870181

T8 brake:

R:

View attachment 870335

S:

View attachment 870336

T8 apex:

R:

View attachment 870343

S:

View attachment 870349

Same lines and speed

T8 exit:

R:

View attachment 870363

S:

View attachment 870362

Sector 4 split:

R:

View attachment 870182

S:

View attachment 870183

T9 brake:

R:

View attachment 870367

S:

View attachment 870368

T9 apex:

R:

View attachment 870369

S:

View attachment 870370

Again I'm on a much tighter line than you are which allows me to get on the gas earlier

T9 exit:

R:

View attachment 870371

S:

View attachment 870372

T10 entry:

R:

View attachment 870374

S:

View attachment 870375

Starting to notice a trend here. I'm much more aggressive attacking the inside of the apex/corners than you are.

**I gotta run but I'll finish this guide later today or tomorrow. Hopefully you'll find this helpful and have some stuff to think about now. You should take the viper out for another spin and let us know if you've improved.

Wow man. This is amazing.

R= Rinsky
S= SAMHAIN

Turn 1 brake
R:

View attachment 870190
S:

View attachment 870191

T1 100% off brakes
R:

View attachment 870194

S:

View attachment 870195

T1 exit:
R:

View attachment 870192

S:

View attachment 870233

Sector 1 split:

R:

View attachment 870177

S:

View attachment 870178

T2:

R:

View attachment 870196

S:

View attachment 870197

T3 brake:

R:

View attachment 870199

S:

View attachment 870234

T3 apex:

View attachment 870198

S:

View attachment 870235

T4 apex:

R:

View attachment 870200

S:

View attachment 870238

T4 exit / T5 entry:

View attachment 870203

S:

View attachment 870239

T5 apex:

R:

View attachment 870202

S:

View attachment 870241

Sector 2 split:

R:

View attachment 870179

S:

View attachment 870243

T6 brake:

R:

View attachment 870206

S:

View attachment 870319

T6 apex:

R:

View attachment 870205

S:

View attachment 870322

T6 exit:

R:

View attachment 870207

S:

View attachment 870330

Exit seems fine

T7 brake:

R:

View attachment 870209

S:

View attachment 870331

T7 apex:

R:

View attachment 870208

S:

View attachment 870332

Sector 3 split:

R:

View attachment 870180

S:

View attachment 870181

T8 brake:

R:

View attachment 870335

S:

View attachment 870336

T8 apex:

R:

View attachment 870343

S:

View attachment 870349

Same lines and speed

T8 exit:

R:

View attachment 870363

S:

View attachment 870362

Sector 4 split:

R:

View attachment 870182

S:

View attachment 870183

T9 brake:

R:

View attachment 870367

S:

View attachment 870368

T9 apex:

R:

View attachment 870369

S:

View attachment 870370

T9 exit:

R:

View attachment 870371

S:

View attachment 870372

T10 entry:

R:

View attachment 870374

S:

View attachment 870375

You just don't realize how much this will help me. Its really interesting to see how all those little things add up over the course of the lap.
I have some great Information to work off of but I am happy to see I was able to run with you through certain sectors and that's very encouraging.

Last night's race I was able to follow you for a few laps after you put me a lap down and I learned a lot there too. But the difference in our Gr.3 cars & skills quickly came into play as you could really turn into corners quickly but all my Mustang wanted to do was push the front end out trying to run your line.
I just don't remember the Mustang being that horrible in the past when I've used it and I'm really regretting my choice now.

R= Rinsky
S= SAMHAIN

Turn 1 brake
R:

View attachment 870190
S:

View attachment 870191

T1 100% off brakes
R:

View attachment 870194

S:

View attachment 870195

T1 exit:
R:

View attachment 870192

S:

View attachment 870233

Sector 1 split:

R:

View attachment 870177

S:

View attachment 870178

T2:

R:

View attachment 870196

S:

View attachment 870197

T3 brake:

R:

View attachment 870199

S:

View attachment 870234

T3 apex:

View attachment 870198

S:

View attachment 870235

T4 apex:

R:

View attachment 870200

S:

View attachment 870238

T4 exit / T5 entry:

View attachment 870203

S:

View attachment 870239

T5 apex:

R:

View attachment 870202

S:

View attachment 870241

Sector 2 split:

R:

View attachment 870179

S:

View attachment 870243

T6 brake:

R:

View attachment 870206

S:

View attachment 870319

T6 apex:

R:

View attachment 870205

S:

View attachment 870322

T6 exit:

R:

View attachment 870207

S:

View attachment 870330

Exit seems fine

T7 brake:

R:

View attachment 870209

S:

View attachment 870331

T7 apex:

R:

View attachment 870208

S:

View attachment 870332

Sector 3 split:

R:

View attachment 870180

S:

View attachment 870181

T8 brake:

R:

View attachment 870335

S:

View attachment 870336

T8 apex:

R:

View attachment 870343

S:

View attachment 870349

Same lines and speed

T8 exit:

R:

View attachment 870363

S:

View attachment 870362

Sector 4 split:

R:

View attachment 870182

S:

View attachment 870183

T9 brake:

R:

View attachment 870367

S:

View attachment 870368

T9 apex:

R:

View attachment 870369

S:

View attachment 870370

T9 exit:

R:

View attachment 870371

S:

View attachment 870372

T10 entry:

R:

View attachment 870374

S:

View attachment 870375

And that's a lap lol

Thanks to everyone. The tips really have helped. Before, I was braking and right back into the throttle, typically overshooting the exit. But, now i let the car roll through the entrance and just to the apex, where I can start picking up throttle and carry way more speed on exit. I also find that letting the car settle really helps it to naturally turn. Thanks for the help. Cant wait for the next session.

School will be in session this Thursday, the 21st, 8:30-10:30pm EST. I will have a lobby up for the wildcard.

We will work with whoever is interested. There will be a party chat that you can join. I ask that you enter it, whether you have a mic or not, so I can talk with you as you go around the track.

If you are interested, please state your intentions. I would like to do one-on-ones, but if there are more, that’s okay too.

**if you need a time later than 10:30 est, please let me know.
I’ll try to make it for the next one. If there is one.

I’ll try to make it for the next one. If there is one.
This is something that is hard for us to keep up on with all of out leagues going on, however, if you would like some one on one, send me a PM and ill do my best to put time aside to help out if i can!

I would be interested as well. Interested in driving with you guys but I’m not confident enough yet; i certainly don’t want to ruin someone’s race

Latest Posts

Back