Time based credits? The solution to all our problems?

• Thread starter hawkeyez
  • 53 comments
Canada
Canada
the-1st-hawkeyez
I’ve been thinking about this for a couple weeks and I feel like this would be the perfect solution to the entire credits system.

Time based credits, with placement bonus and clean race bonus.

1- Racing for ten minutes earns you $250,000, any car, any track, any event, even online racing.

2- 1st place gets you $50,000, 2nd place gets you $25,000 and 3rd place gets you $15,000. 4th place to last place gets you no extra credits.

3- Clean race bonus gives you $50,000.

So you can potentially earn $2,100,000 with an hour of driving. I feel like I would race whatever race I felt like on any given day in any car because I’d have no reason to lean towards one race over another based solely on earning potential. They’re all the same. Buddies racing online? Same payout only I might not be getting first place or a clean race bonus.

This would deter people from grabbing the tomahawk and ripping through a track because more time on track actually racing is going to earn you more money rather than how it is now, we try to find the fastest car for the track to earn the most money in the shortest amount of time. I believe it would encourage people to dial back their performance points and have a closer more challenging race without worrying about losing it all. It is fun to just get by the leader on the last lap. But with time based credits, if you don’t, you’re only out $25,000.

Let me know what you think, maybe I’m missing something here. I guess I’m just sick of going, “I’d like to race that track with the muscle cars but it’s like 6-8 minutes and it only pays $10,000….hmmm I’d race it but I really want to get that P4 Ferrari so Sardegna it is…AGAIN”

As members have pointed out plenty times, just offer all the races with higher payouts. Let’s say Gr.4-Gr.1 payout the same at all those events: They’re all about 20-30 minutes long. We even have the missions races paying a cool one million. Just do that.

As for cars, limit them to road car among road car grids. Race car with respective groups. None of this MP4/4 against GT3 cars.

This is all with an Improved race experience. Random starting position if we can’t qualify. Players can use Easy to do the whole game and win max Credits.

Again, this is without accounting for MTX bandits.

I disagree, if it's going to be based on a simple measurement it should be distance. This makes faster cars money faster. However, it shouldn't be linear either. Longer races should pay more for their time too.

Gotta bring up GTPSP. Increased laps gave big payouts.
Disney Hercules GIF by netflixlat

I disagree, if it's going to be based on a simple measurement it should be distance. This makes faster cars money faster. However, it shouldn't be linear either. Longer races should pay more for their time too.
But isn’t that part of the problem? As long as you can take a faster car, finish the race sooner you’re back to square one. Certain races will pay out better for your time then others. If you do it by distance you may as well grab the Tomahawk and drive around that special stage route x.

As members have pointed out plenty times, just offer all the races with higher payouts. Let’s say Gr.4-Gr.1 payout the same at all those events: They’re all about 20-30 minutes long. We even have the missions races paying a cool one million. Just do that.

As for cars, limit them to road car among road car grids. Race car with respective groups. None of this MP4/4 against GT3 cars.

This is all with an Improved race experience. Random starting position if we can’t qualify. Players can use Easy to do the whole game and win max Credits.

Again, this is without accounting for MTX bandits.
That’s another option, to simply equalize the payouts. But people will still figure out which race is the most money for least amount of time invested... back to the same old problem.

Time based credits eliminates the searching for the best paying race and becomes more about which track and car you feel like driving that day.

i did that a bit tonight, raced Sardegna, got my $727,000 then found a few races I hadn’t gotten 1st on yet. While I had fun, my earnings were practically zero compared to Sardegna. Bitter sweet feeling. It was like three 10 minute races and I think I got like $30,000 or less for each race. Sardegna is about 30 minutes, I’d be pissed if I raced for 30 minutes and earned $90,000. But I’d be happy if I raced for 10 minutes and earned a third of what I get from Sardegna. So I got to check off placing first on those tracks but I won’t be racing them again. Time is money. Especially on this game.

Gotta bring up GTPSP. Increased laps gave big payouts.
Disney Hercules GIF by netflixlat
Maybe for the hardcore racers, sure, big payout for a 24hr race. Didn’t they have that on GT5? I faintly remember doing one. I’d rather jump around from race to race, car to car. 10-30 minute races and still be able to earn decent cash.

I completely agree, basing pay on time spent driving is the only way to make slow cars worth using, and Gran Turismo is the only car game that sells itself as a car museum, yet gives you absolutely no reason to use like half of the cars in it. Base it on race distance and you'll just push people to drive the fastest cars possible.

Another thing you could do is add qualifications to earn more, like reaching a certain career completion percentage, driving a certain distance in a certain car or driving a certain number of cars to add +5% credits earned or something.

I'd also like to be able to earn money for time trials in the same way, it doesn't really make sense to me to have circuit experience mode pay out one big lump sum for setting one good lap time when if, like me, you take a prolonged break from the game, completely forget all the tricks you learned and then struggle to get within like 3 seconds of your previous best, with no incentive to try to improve again because you won't make any money while practicing. Also, one of my favourite things to do in the game is Tsukuba time attacks, but unlike the people doing it in real life, I have no other source of in-game income to support the development of the cars I'm using.

I completely agree, basing pay on time spent driving is the only way to make slow cars worth using, and Gran Turismo is the only car game that sells itself as a car museum, yet gives you absolutely no reason to use like half of the cars in it. Base it on race distance and you'll just push people to drive the fastest cars possible.

Another thing you could do is add qualifications to earn more, like reaching a certain career completion percentage, driving a certain distance in a certain car or driving a certain number of cars to add +5% credits earned or something.

I'd also like to be able to earn money for time trials in the same way, it doesn't really make sense to me to have circuit experience mode pay out one big lump sum for setting one good lap time when if, like me, you take a prolonged break from the game, completely forget all the tricks you learned and then struggle to get within like 3 seconds of your previous best, with no incentive to try to improve again because you won't make any money while practicing. Also, one of my favourite things to do in the game is Tsukuba time attacks, but unlike the people doing it in real life, I have no other source of in-game income to support the development of the cars I'm using.
That’s a good idea on the qualification bump by 5%.

Mission races are a one time only payout,thats IF you come first.
I’d be okay if missions paid out half the money for your time because a lot of them have a nice reward at the end. If they paid out full there would be no incentive to win them. But at half or even less than half, at least you’re earning something for your time.

If we didn’t have the internet to look up the rewards, some of the cars you win for those…I’d be extremely ticked I spent so much time to complete it. I forget which is which now but the only one that interested me was the one you win the 2J Chapparal on.

The biggest reason PD won't do this is because in GT Sport people put a rubber band around their controller to run a 24h race on the dinky speedway circuit. Netted like 1m a pop (not a great deal for the time taken, but it was purely passive credit generation).

Now they won't give decent credits for any custom races.

Makes zero sense, as they could just do rubbish credit payouts for speedway circuits and have decent payouts for everything else

Yes, then I can do a 24 hour endurance race. Walk away for 23hrs and 58 minutes, complete one lap and win all the money apart from the win bonus.

I doubt they'll let us do that though.

I just wish they'd increase the winnings for online and custom races to make them comparable with at least some of the single player races.

Last edited:
Yes, then I can do a 24 hour endurance race. Walk away for 23hrs and 58 minutes, complete one lap and win all the money apart from the win bonus.

I doubt they'll let us do that though.

I just wish they'd increase the winnings for online and custom races to make them comparable with at least some of the single player races.
Sorry I don’t follow how you can do one lap, walk away and comeback to huge earnings?

Sorry I don’t follow how you can do one lap, walk away and comeback to huge earnings?
If it was based on just time alone and not distance. I could do a 24hr race. Finish just one lap after 24hr. Come last with my 1 lap compared to the opponents 100 laps but still get a massive time reward. AutumnalGlow correctly fixes that by rewarding last place with nothing. So then I'd have to do as many laps as the others.

If it was based on just time alone and not distance. I could do a 24hr race. Finish just one lap after 24hr. Come last with my 1 lap compared to the opponents 100 laps but still get a massive time reward. AutumnalGlow correctly fixes that by rewarding last place with nothing. So then I'd have to do as many laps as the others.
i get what you’re saying. I’m sure they could either do last place gets nothing or anything below a third of the pack gets nothing. I find it funny people in the past could rubber band their controller and PD couldn’t find a fix for that? No steering input for three minutes, kick out of race. Call of duty does it and almost too fast. Game starts, get up to grab a drink, come back sit down reach for your controller, booted for inactivity. Anyway maybe my idea is all wrong,I guess I just get frustrated with running the same race over and over and thought this would be the perfect fix but I guess somebody will always find a way around it.

I raced Sardegna last night before friends came online, $727,000 in the bank, we drove for 2.5hrs, I maybe earned $150,000. Just wish they’d fix the damn game already, they’ve got enough people brainstorming ideas for them, they just have to read these.

What if..... They just gave us every month multiple new events with decent payouts? That way every month we have something new to play and we earn decent enough credits. Why always searching for solutions so far away? It's just as simple as that. New events with decent payouts that keeps us busy until the next month. But no, apparently PD can only deliver 3 cars and some extra menus to BUY cars with credits that are taking ages to earn.

On top of that: in GT5 there was a daily login bonus. If player retention is what they are after, there you have your solution. Every day you login, your credit earnings go up with a certain percentage that locks out on day 7 (for example max percentage added 15%), and you keep it this way every day until you miss a day and have to start over with the bonus.

Last edited:
What if..... They just gave us every month multiple new events with decent payouts? That way every month we have something new to play and we earn decent enough credits. Why always searching for solutions so far away? It's just as simple as that. New events with decent payouts that keeps us busy until the next month. But no, apparently PD can only deliver 3 cars and some extra menus to BUY cars with credits that are taking ages to earn.

On top of that: in GT5 there was a daily login bonus. If player retention is what they are after, there you have your solution. Every day you login, your credit earnings go up with a certain percentage that locks out on day 7 (for example max percentage added 15%), and you keep it this way every day until you miss a day and have to start over with the bonus.
I guess searching for solutions because they can’t or couldn’t be bothered to figure out the average time it takes people to complete a race and do the math so each race pays out fairly equal. We all know rough lap times and totalrace times but they don’t? I’m ok jumping from race to race in the world map I don’t need cafe menus, I need equal payouts between any race.

I could figure out in a day what each race should pay out to be close enough that people couldn’t be bothered to figure out which one pays $15,000 more.

If it was another daily it might make sense, otherwise I feel it'd be deemed too generous
I feel like I would race whatever race I felt like on any given day in any car because I’d have no reason to lean towards one race over another based solely on earning potential. They’re all the same. Buddies racing online? Same payout only I might not be getting first place or a clean race bonus.
It would give me a reason to race anything but Spa for my daily for the 550,000. I've barely touched a lot of the other tracks

If it was another daily it might make sense, otherwise I feel it'd be deemed too generous

It would give me a reason to race anything but Spa for my daily for the 550,000. I've barely touched a lot of the other tracks
When the game first came out I ran that mini challenge on Goodwood, it was like 5 minutes or so and it was a super fun and challenging race being that you had to carry speed. There were other races that paid out better but for the time invested it was good enough money. They updated it, nerfed it down to like $15,000 which made the race not even worth doing totally ruined it for me, then they bumped it up to like $30,000. The race used to be fun, it paid well, felt like you had to race good and earn that decent payout. i don’t know what they’re thinking half the time. Anyway I think I made a thread in hopes somebody at PD sees it and uses the idea as their own. Lol

The best solution to grid problems is to bring back the " Seasonals " from the good old days of gt6 .
Was the best way to grid ,had various races and kept alive the interest of the players.
From what i read , people try to find a " glitch" after every new update to solve the grinding problem.
Anyway , we already see enough from the launch of gt7 ,from ps5 exclusive became a ps4 - p5 game , saving Sony and PD from a disaster considering the endless problem of ps5 availability.
We saw the update of the update ( the last ones) and everything lead to the conclusion that gt7 was way far from a complete game in first place.
Anyway back to our subject , the good old Seasonals was the perfect way to grid without a doubt at least for me .

Making the rewards for events feel like a reward seems to be important for many players.
Bringing back seasonal events would be awesome, I remember how fun they were.

Or, just simply have more races that provide payouts similar to Spa 1 hour, Le Mans 30 mins, Sardegna, or Tokyo. It probably feels to some that the game only really has 4 viable events! I'm one, I almost always pick one of these to achieve my daily mileage.

At the very least, there could be weekly 'Gold' events, where existing events are given double or triple payouts. This would be easy to implement and could be more fun.

Adding more events seems to be really easy to do, so why we do not have hundreds and hundreds available is actually quite annoying.

i get what you’re saying. I’m sure they could either do last place gets nothing or anything below a third of the pack gets nothing. I find it funny people in the past could rubber band their controller and PD couldn’t find a fix for that? No steering input for three minutes, kick out of race. Call of duty does it and almost too fast. Game starts, get up to grab a drink, come back sit down reach for your controller, booted for inactivity. Anyway maybe my idea is all wrong,I guess I just get frustrated with running the same race over and over and thought this would be the perfect fix but I guess somebody will always find a way around it.

I raced Sardegna last night before friends came online, $727,000 in the bank, we drove for 2.5hrs, I maybe earned $150,000. Just wish they’d fix the damn game already, they’ve got enough people brainstorming ideas for them, they just have to read these.
I fully agree with you.
I just wish they would increase the payouts for online lobbys, sport mode and custom races by a factor of ten.
It's literally three lines of code: Credits = Credit * 10 in three places.
Yes, it would still be less than the current large payout events, but if you earned 1.5mil for your 2.5hrs it would as least stop feeling like a slap in the face!
If they wanted it could be a factor of 20.

Of course the other alternative, would be to reduce the cost of all cars and parts by a factor of 10.

Last edited:
Making the rewards for events feel like a reward seems to be important for many players.
Bringing back seasonal events would be awesome, I remember how fun they were.

Or, just simply have more races that provide payouts similar to Spa 1 hour, Le Mans 30 mins, Sardegna, or Tokyo. It probably feels to some that the game only really has 4 viable events! I'm one, I almost always pick one of these to achieve my daily mileage.

At the very least, there could be weekly 'Gold' events, where existing events are given double or triple payouts. This would be easy to implement and could be more fun.

Adding more events seems to be really easy to do, so why we do not have hundreds and hundreds available is actually quite annoying.
Seasonals was exactly what you wrote ...FUN for everybody ( besides best griding way) and that element is missing a lot in gt7 .
Everybody involved and hundreds of pages was for them only .
Ok with penalties, clean or dirty races ,stories , coffers etc. but the FUN is missing at least till now.
Don't know what will happen in the future but its hard to believe that FUN will find a way to come inside gt7 soon.
The forced way to pay ( from those who can) ,the low " fix" of bonuses etc indicates that we running the way of making money ,FUN can wait .....

Should be distance driven... Not time. And yes, the faster/higher category cars should be paying more.
I disagree unless you can stop somebody from hopping in the tomahawk and driving special stage route x. Back in the day the grind on I think it was GT2 was my lotus esprit with 1000hp on a similar track high speed ring maybe. What a boring race, but as kids we did it.

I find the faster higher category cars not as fun to drive as the lower pp older cars. Handle too well…

I disagree unless you can stop somebody from hopping in the tomahawk and driving special stage route x. Back in the day the grind on I think it was GT2 was my lotus esprit with 1000hp on a similar track high speed ring maybe. What a boring race, but as kids we did it.

I find the faster higher category cars not as fun to drive as the lower pp older cars. Handle too well…
If every race pays decently, not many will want to do that. And those that do, well, they can be rewarded for choosing to do something so boring.

However, there's also a clear solution that Polyphony already uses: decrease the payout rate of oval circuits.

Why is there a need to stop them?

Are you talking about custom races or event developed by PD races? Because I doubt PD will ever deliver on an event where you can use the Tomahawk, or rather, you can but the race is about, say, Gr.1 cars.

The distance shouldn't be an actual distance, but more of a hidden algorithm where the race itself features X lap of a circuit with cars that are "x fast" around it.
The higher category cars should always pay more because that's the end game, and believe it or not, those cars are harder to master than the low-tier ones. Easier to drive at the low-end, but with an extremely high skill ceiling. Why do you think so few people in the Super Formula Time Trial got gold in comparison to other TTs so far which had lower tier cars?

Regardless, anything suggested here is better than what PD is doing... You have 10 laps, 20+ minute races paying you 200k with a clean race bonus, and these are Gr.3/Gr.1 races. That's an absolute joke, and are races that are quite clearly not worth doing more than once unless you have a specific way of having fun with that (like using different cars at the same event).

I still think 4 million per hour on average should be the ideal for an end-game event (a championship or an endurance race that averages 4 million per hour). No car in this game should take double digit hours to grind.

Back