Time based credits? The solution to all our problems?

• Thread starter hawkeyez
  • 53 comments
The biggest reason PD won't do this is because in GT Sport people put a rubber band around their controller to run a 24h race on the dinky speedway circuit. Netted like 1m a pop (not a great deal for the time taken, but it was purely passive credit generation).

Now they won't give decent credits for any custom races.

Makes zero sense, as they could just do rubbish credit payouts for speedway circuits and have decent payouts for everything else
Or they could just fix their collision/damage systems so that a car won't run smoothly around the outside of the track with the steering held at a single angle. Which would probably be good for the game as a whole, because it's not like they haven't had other issues with exploits in the collision physics.
The best solution to grid problems is to bring back the " Seasonals " from the good old days of gt6 .
Was the best way to grid ,had various races and kept alive the interest of the players.
Seasonals were cool for having a variety of fresh events, but the massive payouts were just a bandaid on a broken economy.
Why is there a need to stop them?
Because ideally people shouldn't have to choose between having fun and progressing their access to new car/parts/whatever in game. That's the whole point of having a wide range of races pay out at a high level.

Being rewarded for your time is nice, it's a shame we have to be the ones to brainstorm how to make collecting 500,000,000Cr into  not repeating 4 events for 300 hours.

It's especially odd because in GTS you were paid a (small) amount of credits just for driving in Time Trial mode, in addition to the Mileage Points. As was mentioned earlier, a GT5 update brought a daily login bonus, so those who logged in every day stayed at 2x credits.

I'd be glad if that was implemented, though it may not be the fairest solution either. Really, they ought to just add a vast amount more events with decent pay, and custom championships that pay decently too!

@TonyLomas I absolutely agree, even if the pathetically low Sport mode pays were multiplied by 10, it'd still be quicker to grind Tokyo, so 15-20 may be the way to go!

In a nutshell, I’ve come to the conclusion its never going to change, grind it is, earn next to nothing while playing online, chase the rabbit, take forever to earn all the cars unless you dedicate your life to the single player portion of the game, AI will take away your clean race bonus unless you pass on a straight.

And that’s not even a guarantee.

One damn near brought me into the pits with it and I had a very clean race up to that point. Side by side through the corner, neck and neck accelerating down the straight, bang, skid, wtf, oh he’s pitting. Thanks.

Give me $500,000 an hour plus a placement bonus and clean race bonus online and I’ll be happy. I won’t even play single player unless I’m waiting for friends to come online. Nothing in there actually interests me as far as race events goes and cafe menus.

Because ideally people shouldn't have to choose between having fun and progressing their access to new car/parts/whatever in game. That's the whole point of having a wide range of races pay out at a high level.
If normal racing paid decently as suggested here either based on time or distance, why should it matter if people can cheese a particular car/track combo to earn even more? It's their time.

Just a certain amount of credits per mile driven would be ok with me. Not sure what the magic credit number should be but this way you could drive any car in any kind of races you want. Stop with the BS roulette wheel already.

If normal racing paid decently as suggested here either based on time or distance, why should it matter if people can cheese a particular car/track combo to earn even more? It's their time.
Because if most races paid out, say, in the ballpark of 5 million credits an hour, many people might say that was a reasonable rate for how the rest of the game is balanced at the moment.

But if you had that, AND there was three races that paid out 20 million credits an hour, suddenly people are doing math and trying to figure out whether they need to do a few runs to afford the next race that they actually want.

It's not just the amount that races pay out, it's also the balance of payouts between different races that affects how much the game incentivises grinding the same content over and over.

Because if most races paid out, say, in the ballpark of 5 million credits an hour, many people might say that was a reasonable rate for how the rest of the game is balanced at the moment.

But if you had that, AND there was three races that paid out 20 million credits an hour, suddenly people are doing math and trying to figure out whether they need to do a few runs to afford the next race that they actually want.

It's not just the amount that races pay out, it's also the balance of payouts between different races that affects how much the game incentivises grinding the same content over and over.
My entire point is exactly this. Time based. Race whatever race you want single player or online. You ain’t finding the perfect grinding race scenario, you’re racing the one you feel like racing. They won’t ever implement it anyway they have their own ideas.

Being rewarded for your time is nice, it's a shame we have to be the ones to brainstorm how to make collecting 500,000,000Cr into  not repeating 4 events for 300 hours.

It's especially odd because in GTS you were paid a (small) amount of credits just for driving in Time Trial mode, in addition to the Mileage Points. As was mentioned earlier, a GT5 update brought a daily login bonus, so those who logged in every day stayed at 2x credits.

I'd be glad if that was implemented, though it may not be the fairest solution either. Really, they ought to just add a vast amount more events with decent pay, and custom championships that pay decently too!

@TonyLomas I absolutely agree, even if the pathetically low Sport mode pays were multiplied by 10, it'd still be quicker to grind Tokyo, so 15-20 may be the way to go!
Honestly at that point they might as well use the SOPHY AI to reward better payouts on custom races based on how well you drive (ex: Sportsmanship rating)

My entire point is exactly this. Time based. Race whatever race you want single player or online. You ain’t finding the perfect grinding race scenario, you’re racing the one you feel like racing. They won’t ever implement it anyway they have their own ideas.
And what are their own ideas ?
My idea about it, is that they follow
the way of the "stick and the carrot" .
Not much but not to low also.
Griding is always a problem especially when new games released, hundreds of pages,vids etc. about the " Best" and " Fastest " ways to grid and glitch hunters are at their best.
Of course that isn't bad thing at all , everybody have the right to play the way he - she likes.
In one - two years from now griding might be not a problem at all and that depends on how the " market" behaves.
Since the central idea behind everything is to earn money and sooner the better ( exactly the way WE want to grid ) I can't believe that things will change much at the short future at least.
The stick and the carrot are a very common way to " rule" ,just need to watch and adjust the balance from one to another the right time and keep your " clients" in peace.
Definitely they know and they can change things in favour of the players but that's not the " central idea " .
If they sense that people turn their back at gt7 ( quite easy with fairytale of the always online) we might see 10 stars tickets and a million per minute races.
Its all about how we behave , Sony while he raze the price of ps5 globally , didn't even dare to apply this at USA market, why ?
Ill leave that answer up to you.
Anyway, they are some good ideas here to solve the grinding problem that we all face starting a new game but i see none of them doable right now cause are not in their priorities.
Isn't like hitting at a deff's door , they can here very well but taking care only what is against their( financial mostly ) interests.

And what are their own ideas ?
My idea about it, is that they follow
the way of the "stick and the carrot" .
Not much but not to low also.
Griding is always a problem especially when new games released, hundreds of pages,vids etc. about the " Best" and " Fastest " ways to grid and glitch hunters are at their best.
Of course that isn't bad thing at all , everybody have the right to play the way he - she likes.
In one - two years from now griding might be not a problem at all and that depends on how the " market" behaves.
Since the central idea behind everything is to earn money and sooner the better ( exactly the way WE want to grid ) I can't believe that things will change much at the short future at least.
The stick and the carrot are a very common way to " rule" ,just need to watch and adjust the balance from one to another the right time and keep your " clients" in peace.
Definitely they know and they can change things in favour of the players but that's not the " central idea " .
If they sense that people turn their back at gt7 ( quite easy with fairytale of the always online) we might see 10 stars tickets and a million per minute races.
Its all about how we behave , Sony while he raze the price of ps5 globally , didn't even dare to apply this at USA market, why ?
Ill leave that answer up to you.
Anyway, they are some good ideas here to solve the grinding problem that we all face starting a new game but i see none of them doable right now cause are not in their priorities.
Isn't like hitting at a deff's door , they can here very well but taking care only what is against their( financial mostly ) interests.
Well as far as the stick and the carrot goes, not sure the reasoning between say Sardegna for $727,000 and some muscle car race for like $10,000. When you work out the time it takes to complete either they’re miles apart, and the muscle car race just feels like you’re not even racing for credits at all. Even if they paid out $200,000 for 20 minutes of online racing, it’d still take me a long time to attain all the cars plus parts for said cars and all the paint colours etc etc. but at $200,000 for 20 minutes of online pay I really don’t think I’d even bother with Sardegna. Either way, their balance is way out. I didn’t claim to know what their ideas are, I was more or less saying I don’t understand what they’re thinking.

Last edited:
I think a lot of developers just think people will do nothing but play their game and their game only, they design it that way. Kids play for hours, adults play for like an hour or two a week. Lol. When I was a kid we raced GT2 a ton, still didn’t own all the cars, had all the time in the world. Now, not so much.

Last edited:
Well as far as the stick and the carrot goes, not sure the reasoning between say Sardegna for $727,000 and some muscle car race for like $10,000. When you work out the time it takes to complete either they’re miles apart, and the muscle car race just feels like you’re not even racing for credits at all. Even if they paid out $200,000 for 20 minutes of online racing, it’d still take me a long time to attain all the cars plus parts for said cars and all the paint colours etc etc. but at $200,000 for 20 minutes of online pay I really don’t think I’d even bother with Sardegna. Either way, their balance is way out. I didn’t claim to know what their ideas are, I was more or less saying I don’t understand what they’re thinking.
I know that you didn't claim what their ideas are , also you have right about the races you mention above .
There's not justice at such things anyway ( even in real life ), you just like them or not and for sure you can't change them .
In other words ill say this:
The tree never was a big picture but the forest is .
Nobody force us and we have to settle with that idea.

I know that you didn't claim what their ideas are , also you have right about the races you mention above .
There's not justice at such things anyway ( even in real life ), you just like them or not and for sure you can't change them .
In other words ill say this:
The tree never was a big picture but the forest is .
Nobody force us and we have to settle with that idea.
Yeah for sure. Honestly if there was no place to voice my opinion, share my ideas or speak up about the payouts in general, I wouldn’t. I probably would just play it how it is and possibly just lose interest altogether. The fact you can discuss ideas and share ideas on here makes a person think maybe just maybe they’ll read some of this and take another look at their game. Lol

i raced online with friends today for 3hrs. I kept track of my earnings. 143,000 credits. Wow, just wow. I had some clean race bonuses in there too lol

Things could be worse. PD could have made the high payout races as Seasonals. Rotate them suckas like the LCD. Bad business.

They just need to unlock the Missions races. Small percentage of the problems solved.

For sure they keep their " eyes" at consumers reactions @hawkeyez .
One voice is nothing, many voices is something etc.

Stop complaining,you earn 47.000 per hour , imaging that you could get nothing is you was playing with liveries or photo mode
giphy (3).gif

Last edited:
I don't know if Sport mode rewards are better if you're winning or racing at the higher levels. (I am not quick in sport mode.)
But I also think that if the rewards were improved then more people would perhaps play sport mode.

I just want things evening out a little. I don't even mind if there's still only 4 optimum events for grinding for cash, just make it so other race reward a similar amount rather than 100 times less.

Another money maker would be to award a little monetary prize for each like, share or collection your photo's or liveries get.

I don't know if Sport mode rewards are better if you're winning or racing at the higher levels. (I am not quick in sport mode.)
But I also think that if the rewards were improved then more people would perhaps play sport mode.

I just want things evening out a little. I don't even mind if there's still only 4 optimum events for grinding for cash, just make it so other race reward a similar amount rather than 100 times less.

Another money maker would be to award a little monetary prize for each like, share or collection your photo's or liveries get.
That’d be kind of cool to get some kind of prize for photo and livery likes. Cool idea.

Yeah it’s mainly the evening out of things. I’ve done about a week of Sardegna, two to three times a night roughly, from pretty much zero credits. I win and get clean race bonus every time and I’m almost at $10,000,000.

I’ve also been going through other race missions and getting first on the low paying out races as well just so it says 1st place haha. So all that money isn’t Sardegna but because of the low payouts on other events I’d say maybe $200,000? is not from Sardegna.

I’m going to check out sport mode.

I’ve been thinking about this for a couple weeks and I feel like this would be the perfect solution to the entire credits system.

Time based credits, with placement bonus and clean race bonus.

1- Racing for ten minutes earns you $250,000, any car, any track, any event, even online racing.

2- 1st place gets you $50,000, 2nd place gets you $25,000 and 3rd place gets you $15,000. 4th place to last place gets you no extra credits.

3- Clean race bonus gives you $50,000.

So you can potentially earn $2,100,000 with an hour of driving. I feel like I would race whatever race I felt like on any given day in any car because I’d have no reason to lean towards one race over another based solely on earning potential. They’re all the same. Buddies racing online? Same payout only I might not be getting first place or a clean race bonus.

This would deter people from grabbing the tomahawk and ripping through a track because more time on track actually racing is going to earn you more money rather than how it is now, we try to find the fastest car for the track to earn the most money in the shortest amount of time. I believe it would encourage people to dial back their performance points and have a closer more challenging race without worrying about losing it all. It is fun to just get by the leader on the last lap. But with time based credits, if you don’t, you’re only out $25,000.

Let me know what you think, maybe I’m missing something here. I guess I’m just sick of going, “I’d like to race that track with the muscle cars but it’s like 6-8 minutes and it only pays $10,000….hmmm I’d race it but I really want to get that P4 Ferrari so Sardegna it is…AGAIN”
So, you take the Mazda Demio or the Honda Jazz stock to Nurburgring 24h circuit, 1 lap. Take your time to get the clean race bonus, finish dead last, in, lets say 12 minutes. You would score 350k (300k for 12 minutes + 50k for the CRB), with no real effort at all, except succumb to boredom, with a 12-13k car...
In other hand, you do the Norschleiff race at Porsche Cup, one of the most difficult races in the game, to win you would need to be well under 7m30s on hard, to score 237.5k (187.5k for 7.5 minutes and 50k for the win, no way you will overtake all the cars and still get the CRB in this race)

And if I set a 99 lap Nurburgring race and just park the car and go watch tv, just let the AI do the 99 laps, and just finish a lap to be classified in the end? I would get the payout for all these time?

So, you take the Mazda Demio or the Honda Jazz stock to Nurburgring 24h circuit, 1 lap. Take your time to get the clean race bonus, finish dead last, in, lets say 12 minutes. You would score 350k (300k for 12 minutes + 50k for the CRB), with no real effort at all, except succumb to boredom, with a 12-13k car...
In other hand, you do the Norschleiff race at Porsche Cup, one of the most difficult races in the game, to win you would need to be well under 7m30s on hard, to score 237.5k (187.5k for 7.5 minutes and 50k for the win, no way you will overtake all the cars and still get the CRB in this race)

And if I set a 99 lap Nurburgring race and just park the car and go watch tv, just let the AI do the 99 laps, and just finish a lap to be classified in the end? I would get the payout for all these time?
I’m sure they could write some code to identify when somebody is just letting the car drive itself and either don’t pay out or have it boot you out of the race.

As far your first example goes, maybe they would just have to have bigger payouts for actually placing. Could do anything below 5th place it starts subtracting credits.

Also what’s the payout for Norschleiff Porsche Cup for 8 minutes of racing? How does that compare to Sardegna? Because Sardegna is super easy.

Anyway in my opinion they have to do something to balance it and I thought maybe time based would be the ideal way, but after discussion I think you’re right, they’d need to start subtracting credits for poor race placement. If you get around 5th, well you missed out on some bigger winning bonuses but not robbed for your time, try to exploit by putting around the track and get a big surprise at the end when you realize it’s subtracted almost all of your credits you expected to earn.

The biggest reason PD won't do this is because in GT Sport people put a rubber band around their controller to run a 24h race on the dinky speedway circuit. Netted like 1m a pop (not a great deal for the time taken, but it was purely passive credit generation).

Now they won't give decent credits for any custom races.

Makes zero sense, as they could just do rubbish credit payouts for speedway circuits and have decent payouts for everything else
For what it's worth, that's how I beat Ruby Weapon in Final Fantasy 7. Set up the combo, wait for Ruby to bury her arms, revive everyone, start the combo, rubber band the controller, and walk away for 2 hours. And Ruby is supposedly the toughest enemy in the game...

I’ve come to the conclusion, just having online races pay out better would be enough. That’s mostly what I race but it’s payout is so low. The one night we raced for 4 hours and I might have made $300,000 In that time. It’s not like I was dead last every race, I won many of them.

Kinda like a UBI ? Universal Basic Income in real life...
No, more like an hourly wage. You put in x hours of driving, you get y credits, at a flat rate.

It's a video game though, so I don't think that would be the best solution.

Distance-based credits. Drive a slow Fiat 500 for an hour, get paid far less than driving a Gr.1 car for an hour. Drive them both 100 km? Sure, same reward. Add some balancing based on opponent cars' PP rating compared to the player's. Encourage a bigger challenge. Take a Tomahawk against a Fiat 500? You're not getting much. Take, I don't know, a 500 PP car against a field of 600 PP cars and win? Big money.

"But what if people AFK grind again? Our MTX sales, down the drain!" cries Polyphony.

Last edited:
Back