Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 29,365 comments
Due to other priorities I only spent maybe an hour at Willow Springs so far. The BRZ is weird in VR, I feel like I'm sitting almost 2 meters behind the windshield. Then I tried the 650s, which seems to be the only car @TumeK5 has not tried ;), and which at the time had the fastest non-BRZ time on the world leaderboard. Great to drive, and I had a comfortable gold time (1:12.6) within maybe 20 laps.

So I guess more is possible, if I find the time ...

After collecting my 1M Cr. for Daytona, it was time to go back to Big Willow, again with the Subaru, which I find (most of the time if I don't push it too much) easy to manage.

Done 10 laps and went from bronze to silver, with room to improve.

I'll have to watch @Mistah_MCA's lap guide now that I have the track in fresh memory sure there are plenty of improvements to find.

Gran Turismo™ 7_20231130195722.jpg

Need to reach 1:13.XXX now :)

Not tested yet the Alpine at Watkins Glen.

I love the Glen, even moreso the short version we've got for this TT. I gave up a little bit of time in the final sector and probably could have gassed it sooner coming out of the carousel, but this was a good start! :dopey: I know it's day 1, but I wonder if this may be a chance to grab only my 2nd top 100 overall?

IMG_2672.jpg

I've now completed my first stint at Watkins Glen. Really a fun combination.
The long right after the chicane is crucial.
Unfortunately, I lost a few tenths there because I was too hesitant with the throttle.

Still, it was enough for a 1:20.535. There is still a lot of potential.
View attachment 1307785
Ooooo it's gonna be tight at the end of this one!

The fact that i made this time with dualsense got me thinking...
I started a few laps and got gold on DS, then switched on T300 and lost it immidiatley in first corner, then on bus stop, and after few laps returned to DS improved amost second with DS.
It is far easier with controler as it is possible faster get it to back to control.
It's taken me months to understand the wheel. I was so frustrated at first I thought an expensive mistake was made. I'm still a marginal driver with the wheel with moments of brilliance. Stick with it. It'll come around. Braking and the subtlety at the limit is a game changer.

View attachment 1307814

In there. You gotta drive this car a little angry. So. Much. Fun. 🍻🍻
🍻

My matched your time exactly 😂
Definitely a fun one.

that was before you went even faster 🍻

Edit:
@Dolph Drago thanks for sharing your lap. I finally got the bus stop down better after watching

Improved to a 1:21.797 after watching and that’s beyond my skill level 😉

IMG_6249.jpeg

Last edited:
First outing with the A110 and I was like, what the heck is this? Where is the steering feel? The car kind of floats along, but then as you drive it, it grows on you. What, at first I thought was horrible grip, became predictable drifting through the corners, then it became fun.

Took less than 15 minutes and I got a top 2%. Top 2000 spot.

IMG_7568.jpeg

Yes it’s still early and time is going to shift, but hopefully 1.9% is enough to keep gold. 🤔

This was fun enough that I may come back for more. :D

Last edited:
@peniu If it's indeed the raw data you're after, and you don't mind interacting with the command line a little, you can scrape events for yourself. Takes ~10 minutes per event. See here: https://github.com/chromey/gt7-scraper
This requires PC, right? And what is result, excel sheet, correct? Which columns do we get, do we get something else except what we can see on gran-turismo.com web page, Position, Name, DR, SR and Time?

This requires PC, right? And what is result, excel sheet, correct? Which columns do we get, do we get something else except what we can see on gran-turismo.com web page, Position, Name, DR, SR and Time?
PC or Mac. And yes, it's an excel sheet. Look at this sample output for Willow Springs.

Attachments

• event_8185.xlsx
    23.8 KB · Views: 11
I'm happy to share the data, but the files are quite big (around 30 - 50 MB each). However, I am genuinely more than happy to analyse things on your behalf, so feel free to ask if you have something in mind.
I was thinking what defines an 👽

Is it ending TT on first page?

Is it being 0.5% of leader?

What result is on that level that most of us will call someone 👽

I wonder what numbers says and was thinking of how to visually show what I am looking for. For example on Lake Louise TT, we had Camit leading TT for almost two weeks, and then he pushed it at very end and lower his own time with one tenth, Tsutsu joined as well and lowered Camit's time for one more tenth and then L-shooter joined the game on last day and killed everyone with improvement of whole 4 tenth over Tsutsu.

So here is my logic, and I will use bicycle race image that maybe shows it better who I see as an alien. We have someone, it can be 1 or 2 or 5 or more players, that are just in front of the "rest", and those in front are aliens for that current TT. So if you look at the numbers, I guess it is easier to transform those that gold into a staple bar chart, and then where we see "drop" there start "aliens" green line?

What do you think?

And what other members of this thread think, where is "Aliens" line in charts Half_sourly shows?

1701420815391.png

What do you think?
I guess there won't be a definitive answer, but the new "distribution by 0.1 second increments" graph visually answers this question quite nicely. In this example you can see that everyone with a 2:12 or lower is clearly a visitor from another planet.

View attachment 1307913
I agree. It is an arbitrary term and will change by circuit and car combination - at the Green Hell in a tuned difficult car, being within 2% maybe makes you outstanding. At Sardenga in Gr.4 being within 2% makes you someone who just dropped by for a quick lap.

Last edited:
@peniu If it's indeed the raw data you're after, and you don't mind interacting with the command line a little, you can scrape events for yourself. Takes ~10 minutes per event. See here: https://github.com/chromey/gt7-scraper
Thanks for the tip, I've managed to scrap my first event.
I have a few questions though:
  • Considering it took 22 mins to get one scrapped, is there anything stopping me from running multilple instances of scraper at once?
  • At Sport GT7 web page I can only see TTs starting with Alphard one - is there some sort of archive to look for older ones?
  • Are the gold/silver/bronze cutoffs rounded up/down or whatever is closer to the nearest 0.001 s?

• Considering it took 22 mins to get one scrapped, is there anything stopping me from running multilple instances of scraper at once?
The main reason for the slow process is that the API enforces a cooldown period that's imposed on source IP level. In other words, you would only gain speed if you executed the process on two machines with different public IPs.
  • At Sport GT7 web page I can only see TTs starting with Alphard one - is there some sort of archive to look for older ones?
It's probably somewhere in the API, but I don't see an obvious way.
  • Are the gold/silver/bronze cutoffs rounded up/down or whatever is closer to the nearest 0.001 s?
If I am not mistaken it's rounded down.

Took less than 15 minutes and I got a top 2%. Top 2000 spot.
Hey @TheNormsk, I lost a bit track of what you are doing in the dailies because I don't have really time to partecipate in, but looking at what you are showing in this topic you are doing really great!!!

I always see you in the high floors of my friend leaderboard, in that part of the table where I feel I can reach... I can rea.... crap...next time maybe....

Good stuff mate

Oooooh, I like this new TT. Had a little time this morning before work so hopped into the little Martini camo liveried Alpine for some laps. Only took three laps to get into gold territory, and ended the session with a 1:22.207. Currently at 2.59% (if I remember correctly) so I'm happy with that for the moment! This is a really nice combo of circuit and car - if I can nail the chicanes I'll almost certainly drop that time down into the 21's!

I'm going to put some time into the Willow Springs TT first though, to see if I can knock some time off with the Viper. If not, I'll take the plunge and purchase the Ford GT and extract some time out of that instead. Currently sitting on a 1.14.4XX with the Viper. Surely I can knock some time off that!

Back