Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,330 comments
@Gomario JSP Are you setting alarm for 5:30 tomorrow morning?
1000021288.jpg

New test today on Interlagos before leaving on vacation. I was able to approach my best lap (1'34'541) with a time of 1'34'592 (optimal time of 1'34'2xx) but I couldn't beat it. My time of 1'25'514 on Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta should also remain golden. I wish you all a good week, have fun and above all take it easy on your times !!!!! 🤣🤣🤣
Good drive and enjoy :cheers::cheers:
Enjoy your holidays, mon ami :)

Don't set your goals too high. As my friend @crome says, you will be disappointed. If you succeed, I'll make myself a priest !!!!🤣🤣 I have already warned my wife and my daughter 🤣🤣🤣
You're right. I need to change my goal to a sub 1'27.000. I think silver is realistic here, gold is out of reach for me. I don't have the extra skills and manpower for getting the job done. But that's okay, I need to focus and only do what I'm able to do in each TT. Thank you for taking the time for giing me helpful tips everyone, I appreciate it, :)

I know I said I was going to bed a couple hours ago but I got sidetracked eating and playing gt7. My mom wants me to start curbing the time on here though. I'm not pulling my weight around the household.

Once I got used to the old lady from the English aristocracy, I enjoyed our time together. But she's starting to get on my nerves. Just one word too much and she is crying "shocking" and retreats to the garden with some understeer.

I've had enough of tea and biscuits. I need a beer now.
Besides, the working week is coming up and the wheel has to move in the background.

But before that, I stole another tenth and a half from her jewellery box 😸

1000010666.jpg

Let's see if it will gold 🥇 at the end of the period. If not nevertheless it was fun 😁

Regards
Martin

You're right. I need to change my goal to a sub 1'27.000. I think silver is realistic here, gold is out of reach for me. I don't have the extra skills and manpower for getting the job done. But that's okay, I need to focus and only do what I'm able to do in each TT. Thank you for taking the time for giing me helpful tips everyone, I appreciate it, :)

I know I said I was going to bed a couple hours ago but I got sidetracked eating and playing gt7. My mom wants me to start curbing the time on here though. I'm not pulling my weight around the household.
I use GT7 as a reward system, when I get 💩 done that I need to get done, I allow myself to "waste time" in GT7. So do your chores and then buy a wheel!
If you're anything like me you'll be much faster and more consistent using a wheel. And don't compare yourself to other people, just compare yourself to yourself from yesterday. Your value has absolutely nothing to do with how fast you can drive unless someone is paying you to do it! ✌

@luv2drive I think the Suzuka (Mclaren VGT) challenge was the hardest for most people, because only a few hundred people earned it. 130R kept killing everyone's lap.
@Chris30, it's funny. 130R was one of my best corners in the TT. Where I lost the most time was on Spoon. I've always struggled with that corner on Suzuka, and 130R has always been a good one for me.

So I tried the X-Bow once more to see if I could shave another few hundredths, but I should have known myself better by now: I just can't muster the patience / discipline to fight for marginal improvements when there's an alternative temptation that promises much bigger gains.

So instead I took my classic british-racing-green(ish) beauty for a ride.

1713735723298.png

In the end I found three more tenths. Obviously, with a score like this I have to set my mind to a 1:33 now. But I have to do it before the next TT arrives, or else history will probably repeat itself 😬

1713735941007.png

Improved my time for the KTM and set initial laps in the Jag this weekend.

Took me a while to get back into the KTM for some reason, kept setting 1:25.9XX times and wasn't finding any improvement. Also very inconsistent with lines and lost a lot of laps to track limits. After maybe 150km I finally got into a rhythm and managed a 1:24.779 which places me 188th currently. A further 2 tenths improvement would put me in the top 100 but I don't think I will be able to find that much time, so throwing the towel in here.

Before attempting the KTM again, I set a banker in the Jag, just to get into gold. The initial laps were not promising, struggling to find really much time or rhythm. Time was just barely in gold, around 2.85% off first. Came back to it on Sunday night and had a much more successful session, putting in a 1:33.811 which places me 318th currently. Still struggling with the tight left hander in the middle of the track (I think Turn 7?), where I seem to lose a whole second to the number 1 time, just on the exit of that corner. Exiting in 2nd gear feels faster but you lose time changing gears and have less traction, and exiting in 3rd gear feels much slower, especially since you're going uphill, but it provides far more traction and saves time on the gear change. I was seeing mixed results using both methods, so if there's any time to gain in my lap it will be there.

18f030b2bfa32-5860CCEE9BB8289971F.63A216EF17404752_message_438709816404551_1713710220330.jpg

Not going to have any further time for lapping this week as I have a certification exam for work on Friday afternoon which I need to prepare for. Will be interested to see what the next trial is to replace the KTM.

Good evening everyone - hope you all have had a pleasant weekend. As seems to be customary these days, I’m only getting an hour or two each week to get laps in as a consequence of craziness at work.

Since my KTM time is still respectable (although now outside the top 200), I rented a Jag and put my first 100 miles on it this evening. Took a while to get the hang of it, but if this ends up being my only session, it’s a decent enough lap. No doubt I’ll slip down my friends leaderboard as the week progresses, but I’ve got a little vertigo right now! :cheers:
1713761591319.jpeg

1713761618186.jpeg

Last edited:
Good evening everyone - hope you all have had a pleasant weekend. As seems to be customary these days, I’m only getting an hour or two each week to get laps in as a consequence of craziness at work.

Since my KTM time is still respectable (although now outside the top 200), I rented a Jag and put my first 100 miles on it this evening. Took a while to get the hang of it, but if this ends up being my only session, it’s a decent enough lap. No doubt I’ll slip down my friends leaderboard as the week progresses, but I’ve got a little vertigo right now! :cheers:
View attachment 1349096
View attachment 1349097
Lovely looking British Racing Green leader board there.... And @crome 😉😂

@Barareklam

I tried mate, but it didnt' go as planned.... 300km's + and ran a 562, a 563 and a 564 this morning....
:lol: :lol:

So i tried... and i have failed :lol::bowdown::bowdown:

I'll try tomorrow.... altho 5:30 was kind of early.... and without progression... it will prob stay 6:00 :crazy::indiff::lol::lol:
wow, you really did got up 5:30 , I mean it was pretty much a joke, wow...

I see you too have 3 laps at pretty much same time, me too, I thought I am only one that has 3 laps within 001 I have two laps exactly the same PB and then one lap just .001 slower... but hey 33.3 is in optimal but I can't stich best sectors together. Jag is fun, let's see if I will push for more or not, one thing is for sure, I am not setting alarm 5:30 in the morning haha :D

wow, you really did got up 5:30 , I mean it was pretty much a joke, wow...

I see you too have 3 laps at pretty much same time, me too, I thought I am only one that has 3 laps within 001 I have two laps exactly the same PB and then one lap just .001 slower... but hey 33.3 is in optimal but I can't stich best sectors together. Jag is fun, let's see if I will push for more or not, one thing is for sure, I am not setting alarm 5:30 in the morning haha :D
I realy did yes, must say..... it's 4 PM right now and i'm starting to feel the effects from it staring at my laptop making detailled callouts in Revit Architecture for a project......, i have to blink more often than usual :lol: :lol: :lol:

Almost weekend...:lol:

Most of what I write is of no value to anyone other than myself. Idea reinforcement is supposed to be important.
I have said something to the effect that "once in the while one of the really fast people let something slip", with the qualification that they never intended to hide it, it was just something they knew and never really thought about articulating.
I watch and subscribe to Tidgney, theKie25, and Mistah_MCA.
A common thread in most videos is rotation. I would hope that anyone reading this understands why.
A common idea is downshifting for a little more rotation.
To my simple mind, I had interpreted this as "a little slower", as the turning radius decreases as you slow and you can accelerate faster if you are pointed at the exit more quickly.
To the point, in theKie25's video about the Interlagos TT he makes a point of "when to downshift to 2nd during turn 1" at approximately 2:04 in the video.
Lightbulb moment.
Weight transfer is important. Correct timing of weight transfer is even more important. If you can transfer the weight to the front tires at the correct time to decrease the turn 1 turning radius and ease the transfer to turn 2 you can exit several miles per hour faster as you are straighter exiting and avoid understeer. I found .2 seconds with this idea, now just another 1.5 to go.:D
I would hope that my rambling would lead someone to watch the video, grasp the idea and go a little faster.

Most of what I write is of no value to anyone other than myself. Idea reinforcement is supposed to be important.
I have said something to the effect that "once in the while one of the really fast people let something slip", with the qualification that they never intended to hide it, it was just something they knew and never really thought about articulating.
A common thread in most videos is rotation. I would hope that anyone reading this understands why.
To my simple mind, I had interpreted this as "a little slower", as the turning radius decreases as you slow and you can accelerate faster if you are pointed at the exit more quickly.
To the point, in theKie25's video about the Interlagos TT he makes a point of "when to downshift to 2nd during turn 1" at approximately 2:04 in the video.
Lightbulb moment.
Weight transfer is important. Correct timing of weight transfer is even more important. If you can transfer the weight to the front tires at the correct time to decrease the turn 1 turning radius and ease the transfer to turn 2 you can exit several miles per hour faster as you are straighter exiting and avoid understeer. I found .2 seconds with this idea, now just another 1.5 to go.:D
I would hope that my rambling would lead someone to watch the video, grasp the idea and go a little faster.
Gives your front end more bite! Slows the rear and levers the front tires into the surface without using the brake. Works a treat although I'm nowhere near the talent of the aliens with it. The exact Rev match is the hard part for me.

Lightbulb moment.
It has pros and cons going to second in this case for me,I started out hitting 2nd before turn 1 but was faster and more consistent staying in 3th same for T4 and T12 I stay in third, and have the feeling that the car is more stable.

So it's not that necessary for a descent time..
But I'm going to try hitting 2nd one more session cause this morning I had zero progression 🤣🤣🤣

It has pros and cons going to second in this case for me,I started out hitting 2nd before turn 1 but was faster and more consistent staying in 3th same for T4 and T12 I stay in third, and have the feeling that the car is more stable.

But I'm going to try hitting 2nd one more session cause this morning I had zero progression 🤣🤣🤣
I prefer third but if I'm coming in too hot second and right back to third will get it turned better than just third for me. You've got me by nearly a second though so I'm not telling you this. 😂😂😂

OK I really needed to check this into very detail before I write it here on forum publicly what I will say, so I checked three times to really be sure in what I am saying, so...I am on pretty much on pair with Jeddah in first three turns, and I can keep it because I shift to first before first turn so I can rotate car better. This is from video comparison of mine lap, upper one, and Jeddah lap, lower one. This is however my not fastest lap but 1:33.675 since I made a miss in first turn on my 1:33.532 lap, so what I wanted to say, first gear can help you out if you execute it properly. And best advice is to check Jeddah replay when he is shifting and try to replicate.
Here are 3 printscreens from video comparison.
1000021341.png
1000021339.png
1000021342.png

OK I really needed to check this into very detail before I write it here on forum publicly what I will say, so I checked three times to really be sure in what I am saying, so...I am on pretty much on pair with Jeddah in first three turns, and I can keep it because I shift to first before first turn so I can rotate car better. This is from video comparison of mine lap, upper one, and Jeddah lap, lower one. This is however my not fastest lap but 1:33.675 since I made a miss in first turn on my 1:33.532 lap, so what I wanted to say, first gear can help you out if you execute it properly. And best advice is to check Jeddah replay when he is shifting and try to replicate.
Here are 3 printscreens from video comparison.
You are a lot closer to Jeddah then I am, occassional I'm sort of with him when I nail it like 1/10 🙈 most of the time that is that floating on the curb feeling.... but I'm sometimes gaining on him after T4 and T5 cause he oversteers quite a bit there.
But then uphill T6.... he just nail that 😳 and then have somuch trouble with T11.... a lot of laps are ruined right there for me cause my T12 is quite good.

Nice challenge tho!, and will try to play with some gearing ... I asume you only hit first in 8 and 10 ?

@330_D that says nothing mate!, I think there are some TT's you were higher on the board than me, so you are def not slow 😁😁

I'll follow your advices and play a bit with that in the morning 😁👌

How are you at higher revs but lower speed in thos screenshot 🤔 had you just slammed down from 4th to 3rd at that point?

I haven't tried this one yet as I was having fun in the Chaparral 2J daily race on the weekend... 4 more left until I get my first platinum trophy on any PS game.

Also I see you have countersteering on, what are you controller settings for this one?

You know what I'll keep trying at Michelin Raceway until I can do no more, then I'm taking my 1M and running for the hills. (Silver)
I'm not sweating it. I'm almost at my patience limit anyway.

@GlockPants I'd like to know your secret as to getting through Sector 1 quickly. I'm struggling here.

Back