Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 24,562 comments
Needed a break from Suzuka and trying to improve at Fuji before it ends tomorrow. Over 200 miles and I dropped a whopping two hundredths, though I did finally make my way into the .4's. :irked: Just like my previous sessions, 32.3 was my optimal. Oh, how I long to pick up even a tenth. BTW, I tried the @Dan_Tes CSM method, and while turns 1, 6-7, and the final corner made it more stable, it wasn't enough for me to gain any time. I went back to my usual no-aids for my improvement.
IMG_3042.jpg

Also, I appreciate the advice from @Gomario JSP and @Barareklam regarding Suzuka. I tend to post a replay of my lap when I see a decent gain. Frankly, I've been too annoyed and frustrated by my lack of improvement to bother taking the time to upload it. Maybe I'll do so if I remember next time.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm getting nowhere even though I improved my time to 1'36.934. Still far away from the silver territory.
I improved by about a second yesterday, and thought I must have had my racing hat on.
But no, I checked the assist settings (I thought all off apart from TC-1) and found that I hadn't changed back from trying to get that VGT around Suzuka.

So I had ASM - On, CSA - Strong, TC- 2.

Switched them off and tried again and was over a second slower, so it is worth putting them on, unless you're an Alien.

EDIT - some more laps at Fuji have made silver a tiny bit safer..... now 4.42% and broke into the 34s! Still some super-aliens to put in a lap though - e.g Jeddah's name is missing for one!

Last edited:
Barely in but the optimal looks better. I find this so difficult. Like I'm missing some big secret.
I'm in the same boat with you. Watched some some top times onboard. I think the key is right gear selection and throttle control (exit speed). Aliens use lower gears for entry and higher for the exits. Again its easy to say and hard to execute but it seems the way to achieve sub 39 to me.

It's going to be a last minute attempt at any times at Fuji for me. Been too busy with other stuff and haven't felt the motivation for this one - I always struggle with high downforce cars and Fuji is just a track I struggle with (especially in that final sector, where I either nail it 1% of the time or it all falls apart 99% of the time!). I'll give it a bash tonight... Wish me luck!

I'm really curious if the latest TTs started a trend of "harder" TTs. We'll see tomorrow. I golded a lot lately. Silver at Suzuka feels like gold to me. Let's see if it gets even harder.
There is a saying in german it’s like do not painting devils on the wall.
If it is tomorrow Fisherman Friends backwards on ice with a modified Tomahawk this is your fault…😳😅

Last edited:
Short session yesterday at Suzuka. Objective was to introduce some adjustement gathered from the discussions above and the replay posted, particullary related to gear selection and DRS
I felt these may actually lead to some improvement but it was not the case yesterday. I was too faulty and probably too tired, so I struggled to focus 100% on what I was doing and was more in react mode than in execute mode.
Hopefully the next sessions will be better.

Question about DRS: I see the benefit of it on the main straight and back straight, but really keeping the button pushed until the very end screw me up.
I think I guess that the effectiveness of DRS here has more to do with how early can be pressed more than until how can stay pressed.
Make sense?

zjn
Short session yesterday at Suzuka. Objective was to introduce some adjustement gathered from the discussions above and the replay posted, particullary related to gear selection and DRS
I felt these may actually lead to some improvement but it was not the case yesterday. I was too faulty and probably too tired, so I struggled to focus 100% on what I was doing and was more in react mode than in execute mode.
Hopefully the next sessions will be better.

Question about DRS: I see the benefit of it on the main straight and back straight, but really keeping the button pushed until the very end screw me up.
I think I guess that the effectiveness of DRS here has more to do with how early can be pressed more than until how can stay pressed.
Make sense?
Does make sense to me :-) i have the feeling it doesn't do that much either, i tried some laps this morning without DRS and it had far less impact than i expected, but has maby to do with the inconsistency of my laps on this one.
i think if you hit it on the straights only you have most of the advantage of it, exit hairpin too but mostly without the TCS i quess, if you run TCs1 it holds back no matter what so i don't see much advantage on that small piece of straight with DRS

Does make sense to me :-) i have the feeling it doesn't do that much either, i tried some laps this morning without DRS and it had far less impact than i expected, but has maby to do with the inconsistency of my laps on this one.
i think if you hit it on the straights only you have most of the advantage of it, exit hairpin too but mostly without the TCS i quess, if you run TCs1 it holds back no matter what so i don't see much advantage on that small piece of straight with DRS
I feel the struggle here is that, at least on wheel, as soon as you move the wheel from center position it deactivates, so you have to identify a racing line that is 100% straight.
Given this, and give my inagility with the button, I don't see worth even trying in different places than the 2 straights

zjn
I feel the struggle here is that, at least on wheel, as soon as you move the wheel from center position it deactivates, so you have to identify a racing line that is 100% straight.
Given this, and give my inagility with the button, I don't see worth even trying in different places than the 2 straights
True, that's the same on the PAD, and it makes you force on a line that you normally would't take, and i don't know if that cost is worth it besides the two straights indeed,

They should deactivated it always on these TT's, same with the hybrid, doing 2 laps max is insane, takes you out of focus, altho... for me :lol: :lol:

Allright everyone, I'm back. I ate a huge dinner last night and did 40 laps at Fuji and took a small nap. I woke up an hour ago so I think I'm ready. That corner near the Coca-cola sign is a B*. That's my words of describing it. It's a perfect trap to ruin someone's lap.
If I can find the line that can clip the apex and give me the most speed I'm good to go for the silver time.

Wish me luck! I've got less than 22 hours before the ranking closes.

Thank you for all the tips, now I can try to put all the pieces of the puzzle together. tackling some of these corners is like playing Russian roulette, hit or miss. That is a good analogy of the situation!

Last edited:
Allright everyone, I'm back. I ate a huge dinner last night and did 40 laps at Fuji and took a small nap. I woke up an hour ago so I think I'm ready. That corner near the Coca-cola sign is a B*. That's my words of describing it. It's a perfect trap to ruin someone's lap.
If I can find the line that can clip the apex and give me the most speed I'm good to go for the silver time.

Wish me luck! I've got less than 22 hours before the ranking closes.
Go fo it!

Just remember to get a proper livery. Never underestimate the livery power

zjn
Also after degner2 while you are passing under the "bridge", press and hold that DRS until turn 10 , (that leads into hairpin, turn 11)

Good luck @Chris30 , go for it,

I'm done with both of them, no drive to lower them times after this morning, and i'm stoked for what ever we get next.
after these two high downforced animals it better be good...
But you'll never know...., they can give us Catalunya rally with a Urus.... :lol: :lol:

My guess....... Brands Hatch with a M2 Competition or something :)

Back