Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 25,945 comments
First stint in the Scirocco yesterday. Car feels really good around Laguna once you master the understeery behaviour.

Never would ve thought I would be this close to P1 time when I started tt'ing.

I'll go for the 27s to try to reach my best ever placement.

18f775ac9ff12-screenshotUrl.jpg

Gave the Scirocco a go around Laguna Seca last night. This combo feels quite challenging although I'm not sure why that is. I think the Claymores on the inside of the corners are not helping. Especially struggling with getting the braking zone right for the Cork Screw as well as the left hander before the Cork Screw, the exit of the Cork Screw and the following left hander. That whole sector is easily my weakest point of the track.

Currently sitting at a 1:28.373 which places me 533rd currently, and 1 millisecond ahead of @Dolph Drago and @Dan_Tes :drool: I'm sure that won't last very long and you will both be a couple of tenths up the road.

May come back to this one again depending on what the next trial is. From last night's session it doesn't feel like I have much left in me. Couldn't even come close to matching that lap in my subsequent laps and optimum was only a tenth improvement.
Good lap bro 👏🏼 👏🏼 I will probably give this one a miss until at least the weekend so you are safe till then 😁😁

IMG_6822.jpeg

Back at Lago… the fight continues, I am so so close to a 2:14.xxx. Alas I don’t have long before I go away this evening so it’s my last chance, best time today was 1,000th of a second slower than my PB, I feel your pain @Ed_Night (also, I’m coming for you 😈)

Oh and thank you so much @Metalgear9493 for letting me chase your shadow 😘

To be continued…

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts. I'll try the T5 in 4th idea. In T10 I do what you do - 4th-3rd-4th. If I remember tonight I'll record my best lap and put it on here. I know sector 1 is an issue, because although I've done a few .4xx, I'm regularly very high .5xx or worse. :cheers:
In doing some laps to get a recording, I managed to beat my time, albeit by only 0.06 seconds. Still here is a recording and I'd be glad to hear anyone's thoughts - I know I messed up the second last corner. Going out of T5 in 4th just didn't do it for me; it always felt slower and on a few comparisons, it was. That could of course just be general variance, but 3rd just felt better, even though it risks understeer more.

In doing some laps to get a recording, I managed to beat my time, albeit by only 0.06 seconds. Still here is a recording and I'd be glad to hear anyone's thoughts - I know I messed up the second last corner. Going out of T5 in 4th just didn't do it for me; it always felt slower and on a few comparisons, it was. That could of course just be general variance, but 3rd just felt better, even though it risks understeer more.

Looks quite smooth indeed, your S1 is very descent @23.547 ( I had 468 ).... so that is not it, S2 @1:02.731 ( I'm at 494) .237 here and by the looks of it I realy do think a part of it is in T5, because your T6 looks good and you seem to have a good corckscrew ...I am def. earlier on throttle on T5.. but if 4th doesn't work you gotta work around it!

But there is also some time to find in S3 cause we have .385 difference on the line.

Last corner seems very smooth, nicely trailbraking into it, we can eliminate that one for sure, that leaves T9 and T10

If i take a look at the apex of T9 i'm quite far ahead , so there is alot to win on this one i think!

Schermafbeelding 2024-05-14 194919.jpg

T9 1:06.217 - 1:05.850

T10.jpg

T10 1:12.400 - 1:12.085

entry corck.jpg

Entry corckscrew 57.933 - 57.750

and the exit of the corckscrew was .237 in difference, so got to be T6-T9!! right?

Sorry for my NONE @Barareklam supadupavideocomparrison :lol: :lol:

Other possibility is loading my ghost and don't reset it each sector?, but i think most of it lies in T9 :):)

*edit... mmm... those screenshot are not the best quality :banghead: :banghead:
So times added under screenshot lol

Attachments

• 1000020202.jpg
    1000020202.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

I find it crazy that we can have such close times and drive this car so very differently. I don't think we have a single shift point in common on the whole track.

I don't have advice other than just like the Civic at Maggiore, this thing turns in so much better when you breathe on the brakes while apexing. At least for me. Very very light braking even on throttle settles this car and acts like TCS on exit. Again, you are faster than I am so this may not mean a thing for you.

Pretty tidy lap and great time as well. Take my information with two pinches of salt as my time is nearly identical so I could be wrong.

T1 I think you can be tighter and full throttle it earlier.
T2 Is ok, though sometimes exiting in 4th made me faster but 3rd is also okay, but requires more throttle control.
T3 I don't downshift to 3rd as I found to be losing some time that way, instead I lift a bit earlier than the braking point , just dab the brake and full throttle by the sausage.
T4 I found 3rd to be faster as it is uphill , then once I'm in the kerb I short shift to fourth.

Corkscrew you can brake a tiny bit later using first to engine brake. In my best laps I felt like I would go flying into the wall , but suddenly it stopped and managed to carry a bit more speed going down. Also used fourth coming out of it as it seemed to stop some wheel spin from all the weight shifting.

Anyways thats my inputs. See if someone faster can help.

Hope this holds and there’s no last-day alien shenanigans, I’m booked for GTWS tomorrow evening so no more TT time.

IMG_4326.jpeg

Don’t recall ever having 2 golds in a row (or 3 if I give myself the missing 0.1% in the Jag). Definitely getting faster but this understeering VW is threatening the streak.

Looks quite smooth indeed, your S1 is very descent @23.547 ( I had 468 ).... so that is not it, S2 @1:02.731 ( I'm at 494) .237 here and by the looks of it I realy do think a part of it is in T5, because your T6 looks good and you seem to have a good corckscrew ...I am def. earlier on throttle on T5.. but if 4th doesn't work you gotta work around it!

But there is also some time to find in S3 cause we have .385 difference on the line.

Last corner seems very smooth, nicely trailbraking into it, we can eliminate that one for sure, that leaves T9 and T10

If i take a look at the apex of T9 i'm quite far ahead , so there is alot to win on this one i think!

View attachment 1355455
T9 1:06.217 - 1:05.850

View attachment 1355456
T10 1:12.400 - 1:12.085

View attachment 1355457
Entry corckscrew 57.933 - 57.750

and the exit of the corckscrew was .237 in difference, so got to be T6-T9!! right?

Sorry for my NONE @Barareklam supadupavideocomparrison :lol: :lol:

Other possibility is loading my ghost and don't reset it each sector?, but i think most of it lies in T9 :):)

*edit... mmm... those screenshot are not the best quality :banghead: :banghead:
So times added under screenshot lol
That's excellent, thanks. A fair few things to think about.

I find it crazy that we can have such close times and drive this car so very differently. I don't think we have a single shift point in common on the whole track.

I don't have advice other than just like the Civic at Maggiore, this thing turns in so much better when you breathe on the brakes while apexing. At least for me. Very very light braking even on throttle settles this car and acts like TCS on exit. Again, you are faster than I am so this may not mean a thing for you.
All advice is worth looking at, thanks for taking the time. I do find that there is a point between being too hot into a corner and over-braking, which I struggle to find. It is particularly evident in T1 (or whatever corner the hairpin is). I'll try the more subtle braking.
Pretty tidy lap and great time as well. Take my information with two pinches of salt as my time is nearly identical so I could be wrong.

T1 I think you can be tighter and full throttle it earlier.
T2 Is ok, though sometimes exiting in 4th made me faster but 3rd is also okay, but requires more throttle control.
T3 I don't downshift to 3rd as I found to be losing some time that way, instead I lift a bit earlier than the braking point , just dab the brake and full throttle by the sausage.
T4 I found 3rd to be faster as it is uphill , then once I'm in the kerb I short shift to fourth.

Corkscrew you can brake a tiny bit later using first to engine brake. In my best laps I felt like I would go flying into the wall , but suddenly it stopped and managed to carry a bit more speed going down. Also used fourth coming out of it as it seemed to stop some wheel spin from all the weight shifting.

Anyways thats my inputs. See if someone faster can help.
T1 - yes, missed the entry a bit and generally being on the kerb there helps, so definitely a bit of time there.
T2 - Yes, I've tried 4th as that is what Tidgney advised, but as for T5, 3rd just feels better.
T3 - To be honest, I was just larking about on this lap with different ideas and I seem to remember seeing @Metalgear9493 dropping to 3rd here when I watched his lap last week - might be wrong. Generally I stay in 4th there.
Corkscrew - that is interesting... It echoes the point I made to @330_D above about that sudden 'extra stopping' you seem to sometimes get. Will definitely try that. Again, Tidgney seemed to brake quite late there if I recall from his guide.

I seem to remember seeing @Metalgear9493 dropping to 3rd here when I watched his lap last week - might be wrong. Generally I stay in 4th there.
Your memory has served you well as I did indeed perform a quick downshift upshift combo at turn 3.

It helped with consistency in arriving at the apex with the correct speed (around 89-90mph I was aiming for). Staying in 4th I was always messing up the timing for some reason.

First try with the Afeela... not very good, not even in silver, but lot of margin. I'll give another go tomorrow, just to get silver if I can, I am not playing GT7 to drive vacuum cleaners.

View attachment 1355485
Where are you in the rankings? I'm still stuck at 2'19.494. I don't know how much further I'll get as it's getting harder and trickier to improve and you know the clock rolls on fast. I try not to look at the clock when I'm driving as it will get me distracted, and most of the time I drive clean and not go all over the place. From what I can see in your table, you're doing great, just keep practicing like I'm doing and you will maybe get in the gold zone.

Hi friends!!

Well I did it, one session, one shot, one PB in the 2:14s!!

Excited Pumped Up GIF by NBA

IMG_6836.jpeg

The insanity of gtplanet is that there are still quite a few forum members above me, if I finish above P16 I’ll be pumped but in reality I’m just happy with my lap ☺️ I didn’t quite have it in me to match @Ed_Night but that’s no big surprise, it was nice pretending I had a chance 😁

IMG_6853.jpeg

Hopefully home Friday to try and somehow figure out how to drive FWD 🤪 I think I might break my top 50 streak with this one; I’ve never got used to any of the FWD cars really except that fantastic Mazda 3(?) from a few months back!

Happy lapping everyone and good luck @Metalgear9493 if you try to go for the solid gold crown for this one, we believe in you brah!

Last edited:
Very well done, @Dan_Tes. One piece of advice, in terms of replay recording, I noticed the splits aren’t showing in your replay. I’m assuming that’s by accident. Did you perhaps watch it once and then rewind? If I recall correctly, that’s when that happens, or one of the instances in case there are several ways.

I got rid of the AFEELA TT tonight as well, quickly came to the conclusion that I was absolutely not going to drive this more than one evening, so as to not kill my motivation going forward. I try to stay positive these days but man, this combo was a drab. Didn’t enjoy it at all. :(

18f797a17df84-screenshotUrl.png

Here’s a few random suggestions of cars off the top of my head for some fun time trials (some varying tyres obviously):
  • Pagani Zonda R ’09
  • Ferrari Testarossa ’91
  • Peugeot 908 HDi FAP ’10
  • TVR Tuscan Speed 6 ’00
  • RE Amemiya FD3S RX-7
  • McLaren MP4-12C ’10
  • Lexus RC F ’14
  • Specified Gr. category, such as with the Gr.4 Scirocco TT we have now but instead, let’s do for example only one of the old (’08) Super GT cars, Honda NSX GT500, Lexus SC430 GT500 or Nissan GT-R GT500. Or same logic with Gr.1, specify one of the ones you rarely see, due to being uncompetitive)
And a few circuits to AVOID (cred @Hasnain282 for the stats, link):
  • Red Bull Ring (5 appearances)
  • Suzuka (5)
  • Interlagos (4)
  • Road Atlanta (4)
  • Lago Maggiore (2 Full + 1 East Reverse + 1 West End ≈ 4)
  • Watkins Glen (2 Full + 2 Short ≈ 4)
  • Le Mans (3)
  • Fuji (3)
  • Nürburgring GP (3)
  • Laguna Seca (3)

I’m surprised that I’m loving how the Scirocco drives around Laguna Seca. I got gold on my second lap and then proceeded to a low 1:29 with a sub 2%. Thinking this was easy, I tried to get to the 1:28s. A 1/2 hour later I failed. Hmm. Perhaps not so easy, or I just need to relax and stop over driving the car.

IMG_8125.jpeg

Edit. Mission accomplished! Got into the 28s 😁
IMG_8126.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m surprised that I’m loving how the Scirocco drives around Laguna Seca. I got gold on my second lap and then proceeded to a low 1:29 with a sub 2%. Thinking this was easy, I tried to get to the 1:28s. A 1/2 hour later I failed. Hmm. Perhaps not so easy, or I just need to relax and stop over driving the car.

View attachment 1355544

View attachment 1355546
I was at 1:29.5xx first session and then decided to forget about being smooth and go aggressive. Had not watched Tidgney's guide yet at the time but I have since.

At the time I just watched #1 spot replay really quick.. I did another lap, and even with many small mistakes I still ended up 0.5 seconds faster. Then it was past 3AM and haven't been back. But maybe try going "aggressive" and see what happens. Slamming into 1st gear for a second while trail braking about 5% like #1 spot does helped me rotate the car in a few corners. I'll see if I can get into the mid 28's next time. I'm about the same speed as you now.

After stepping away from the TT and having a disappointing time on the daily races due to dirty driving I jumped back on, but with my main account.

I gave my car an ugly livery and went at it. Took me about 15 minutes to get a 1:28.692. There was a good 2/10ths to be had as well based on my splits before messing up the lap but it got late.

IMG_8127.jpeg

It’s nice to be in the top 10 of my leader board and I’m not too far away from some of the truly fast guys now in this group.

IMG_8128.jpeg

Got to say I’m loving the TTs more than the daily races of late. We can have healthy competition without the nastiness of dirty drivers.

Last edited:

View attachment 1355544

View attachment 1355546
What's with the tape on your screen?

What's with the tape on your screen?
Marks where the edge of the car is after lining it up with the edge of the track. It helps to stop me from putting wheels on grass/dirt and crashing out when I don’t know the width of a car. Allows me to maximize the width of the track.

Those were from prior TTs. This one was easy and I haven’t got round to adjusting them. For now, they give a good enough range from narrow cars to wide cars.

Last edited:
Morning or evening Folks!

Laguna is one of the most frustrating timetrials in a long time for me progression wise, did another run this morning with mostly .1xx average I think, but with faster stuffups than yesterday 😂🙈, I invalidated a 27.865 on the exit on the mainstraight, long time since I have been mad at a game 😂😂

it's good, but realy doesn't feel that way because you know you can do better, it's in there but it's so damn easy to loose time on EVERY corner on Seca.
the .8xx ....I tried....but failed 😂😂 felt like i had it tho on this lap 😂

New PB so im semi-happy 😂😂
From 950 to 906 😁

1000020209.jpg

1000020211.jpg

Today's early morning session started good that it couldn't be better, a 0.200s improvement in first 6 kilometers passed!

View attachment 1355549

I think that now my gold is safe...

You see..... it's those morning runs!
That means alarm at O-600 mate 5 days a week....😁 join the club 😁😁😂😂

Well done!

Attachments

• 1000020202.jpg
    1000020202.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Morning or evening Folks!

Laguna is one of the most frustrating timetrials in a long time for me progression wise, did another run this morning with mostly .1xx average I think, but with faster stuffups than yesterday 😂🙈, I invalidated a 27.865 on the exit on the mainstraight, long time since I have been mad at a game 😂😂

it's good, but realy doesn't feel that way because you know you can do better, it's in there but it's so damn easy to loose time on EVERY corner on Seca.
the .8xx ....I tried....but failed 😂😂 felt like i had it tho on this lap 😂

New PB so im semi-happy 😂😂
From 950 to 906 😁

View attachment 1355573

View attachment 1355575

You see..... it's those morning runs!
That means alarm at O-600 mate 5 days a week....😁 join the club 😁😁😂😂

Well done!

Gm Jomar, what was that thing with the eyes on your car? It looked like an evil version of Pac-man, lol. I'm way far behind you, I may not be able to get in the top 10,000 this time. We will see how things go for me this weekend.

That means alarm at O-600 mate 5 days a week....
I would like to join the 0600 club. But I do have alarm set for 5-5:45, but that is my usual wake up hour to get ready and go to work :(
Did some short stint yesterday evening, but most of that time was wasted for trying new rubber setups in my brake pedal.
That ended with going back to the one I had when I bought the wheel. Immediately I improved my time by STUNNING .02s :P

Last edited:
Gm Jomar, what was that thing with the eyes on your car? It looked like an evil version of Pac-man, lol. I'm way far behind you, I may not be able to get in the top 10,000 this time. We will see how things go for me this weekend.
Hi Chris, it's a rather angry Bee I found ingame, I did give it a red pupil tho 😂😂
Just practice a bit and try to replicate the gearing, the rest should follow, not the easiest track in the game don't forget that!

I'm thinking of adding some extra scorecards on the other thread to the overall and calendar year ones. They will be by car type and all cars could probably be split into these categories:
  • Racing (Gr.1 to 4, formula cars, GT500, etc.)
  • Road - would include hyper cars such as the Valkyrie
  • VGT - no matter flavour, VGT is its own category
  • Rally/ Group B (including Pike's Peak Escudo)
Not sure where cars such as the Amuse, Radical or GReddy Fugu Z would go - road?

Let me have your input. I've put the full list to date under the spoiler to help think through odd ones.

TT#Car
1​
Suzuki V6 Escudo Pikes Peak Special '98
2​
SF19 SuperFormula
3​
Honda Civic
4​
Nissan Skyline SS
5​
Gr.4
6​