Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 26,883 comments
I think if they haven’t already someone will get below 7:30 at NBR, there are a few mistakes on the WR lap still. BE PREPARED!

Well, I’m done for this week as I’m away until next Saturday with work now. Some improvement at Brands Hatch but it was hard going, I learnt some very tricky on the limit car control this trial! In the end my PB lap was an absolute mess but there we go. I also found a way of making the first corner quickly even when trying to set a fastest lap, yeah at times it was wild 🤣🤣

IMG_7178.jpeg

Reasonably confident that’ll keep my world Top 50 streak going! 😁 and best of all I slot on nicely behind Brands Hatch god @Gomario JSP 🙌🏽 excellent lap brother, you are officially the most alien of aliens 👽

IMG_7179.jpeg

Have a good week everyone, I’ll be itching to get back to the Ring when I return but with a busy June and July coming chances to lap might be quite slim 😌

I knew the Porsche at the Ring was going to be fun, but it still exceeded my expectations. What a great thing to drive!

The 993 isn't nearly as oversteery as I would have thought, and really tends to lean on understeer more than anything, but it's a super well balanced thing and is a pleasure to hustle around on its home turf. At slow speeds the fronts can really dig in and force the car to rotate, but there's a firm line that can be overstepped where it is going to want to understeer. It's super rewarding to stay in the pocket and get close to maximizing what the car can do, and it can be responsive to some pretty aggressive driving too. I try to concentrate mostly on getting the rear settled and on throttle as soon as possible to eek out those precious tenths, but there is still a lot of work to do here. Besides the hundreds of little corrections that are needed, I totally blew the apex of the corner below the karousel which probably lost a good .5 all on it's own!

I "practiced" a bit before heading in driving the AMG GTR in the Schwarzwald league weekly race which I think played some small part in me getting gold on the second lap here, but I was determined to knock it down a bit which led to about 7 more laps and my current time of 7:42.149 which I'm happy with for the moment. Put's me at about 600th place... for now. I really do want to spend more time here and get into the 1:30s, but man, it feels like it took a lot to get to this point... haha.

Really really had a lot of fun with this one so far. It just feels so comfy and proper... haha. Now I need to do life stuff, and see how long it takes @330_D to smash my time!

I knew the Porsche at the Ring was going to be fun, but it still exceeded my expectations. What a great thing to drive!

The 993 isn't nearly as oversteery as I would have thought, and really tends to lean on understeer more than anything, but it's a super well balanced thing and is a pleasure to hustle around on its home turf. At slow speeds the fronts can really dig in and force the car to rotate, but there's a firm line that can be overstepped where it is going to want to understeer. It's super rewarding to stay in the pocket and get close to maximizing what the car can do, and it can be responsive to some pretty aggressive driving too. I try to concentrate mostly on getting the rear settled and on throttle as soon as possible to eek out those precious tenths, but there is still a lot of work to do here. Besides the hundreds of little corrections that are needed, I totally blew the apex of the corner below the karousel which probably lost a good .5 all on it's own!

I "practiced" a bit before heading in driving the AMG GTR in the Schwarzwald league weekly race which I think played some small part in me getting gold on the second lap here, but I was determined to knock it down a bit which led to about 7 more laps and my current time of 7:42.149 which I'm happy with for the moment. Put's me at about 600th place... for now. I really do want to spend more time here and get into the 1:30s, but man, it feels like it took a lot to get to this point... haha.

Really really had a lot of fun with this one so far. It just feels so comfy and proper... haha. Now I need to do life stuff, and see how long it takes @330_D to smash my time!

I haven't even made a single complete lap yet. That place is hell. Literally. 😂I am really enjoying the time I've put in and hope that two weeks is enough to learn the track because I'm just NOT GOOD here. Chances are high that you'll be up the board from me here. It's always sorta been the one I just didn't have time to learn. I'm gonna try though... Nice work dude. Seriously. That's pretty stellar time.

Wow, can I just say how much your driving has improved since I last saw it a couple months ago on Tsukuba.
You're much better at using the racing line and with it, much more of the circuit on entry and exit to minimise the angle of a turn.
Progress might feel slow but its definitely happening. :cheers:

Seeing that leaderboard fires me up to try again :D Dans time is likely out of reach but there's the potential to leap above you 3 Americans ;)

See, I don't believe you, you'll say this then appear with a 7:37 later on :D
Yes, I pulled that lap out of the bag, third luck's the charm. You're right, my progress is getting better. I need to try to be more positive and set realistic goals for myself. This game should be fun, not trying to be competitive all the time. Dan is an alien, I could start learning from his videos and replays. I guess the Aero car isn't too bad, it just takes a while to get used to the physics of it.

Improvement for me tonight, messed up an easy 36 but still happy. Could maybe push for a 35 but my hands get too sweaty on the pad towards the end of the lap when on a PB, anyone else having the same issue? :scared:

As predicted the WR is now in the 29’s and I’m sure that will drop another second at least!

IMG_9674.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, I pulled that lap out of the bag, third luck's the charm. You're right, my progress is getting better. I need to try to be more positive and set realistic goals for myself. This game should be fun, not trying to be competitive all the time. Dan is an alien, I could start learning from his videos and replays. I guess the Aero car isn't too bad, it just takes a while to get used to the physics of it.
I'll be totally honest and say I haven't watched all the laps you've shared but I did watch the last one a couple pages back and wow. What an improvement, Chris! Very very smooth. You are so much more precise than you were. It's fantastic honestly. Whatever you have found that is helping you improve, keep it up!

Last edited:

Thanks for uploading that PSVR2 view. Nice smooth lap! I'll be happy if I can get anywhere close to it. Has me realizing I'm over-driving the car sometimes, under-driving car at times, braking to late, braking to early, braking to hard sometimes, too much steering input, blowing apexes, not using all of the road, etc.. 😆 Once in a while I have to look down at map to see what's coming up even though I've driven around here 10,000 times.

I think I have some work to do to gain 3 more seconds for gold. But at least it's fun.

Uploaded my best lap so far directly from PS5 (PSVR2 view). Same lap time as I posted before 7:47:313. I should probably follow a slower ghost and have it farther out, resetting. Or try not following a ghost at all but it usually helps me to judge where I'm gaining and losing time at least, since there's no delta timer in VR. Might try default ABS instead of weak too.

Last edited:
On Thursday it was my very first time driving this car and it had been a long @ss time since I drove at the Ring...since the last TT there if I remember correctly(with the tuned NSX maybe?don't know I missed a few along the way) so I took it relax so I could familiarise with the car and did 3 reconnaissance laps, 2 invalidated and 1 valid lap at 7.59.xx...just to say I went under 8 on my 3rd lap. 😂

You guys getting gold within an handful a few laps, wow! much respect!!! or even crazier in the 30's on a pad, ouch! For now I don't see where I can make that 30 seconds or so especially without a wheel, so 👍👍

On Friday nite, I had some time to spare for once and the goal for the day was silver, so I did two 5 laps sessions, half of which were invalidated. I barely made it into silver with a 7:52.064 lap where I made too many costly mistakes at spots I usually don't...so time to call it a day and silver was the goal fot today anyway.

Theoritical best 7:47.131 so not too far off of gold.
I never use ghosts and haven't watched anyone else's replay so far for this one since I see where I can still improve for now, but I feel it won't be that easy to find those extra seconds to get into gold if it requires only chipping here and there everywhere in the end...unless I do something really suboptimal somewhere along the way without having noticed, we'll see.

Hope I will be able to give it one more try this weekend if I can find the time but it's really a bummer because I'm leaving on vacation and won't be there for the last 10 days of the TT and in my eyes it's a really fun one to tackle.

I really wish they would leave it available for a month, I'd do it almost every day if I could! Great car, tires and track combo, soooooooo enjoyable!

Great work everyone, keep it up!

Improvement for me tonight, messed up an easy 36 but still happy. Could maybe push for a 35 but my hands get too sweaty on the pad towards the end of the lap when on a PB, anyone else having the same issue? :scared:
Yep! same here, the damn DS4 getting greasy and the longer I go the harder my hands have to squeeze that damn thing just to be able to hold it still...at some point it just becomes a handgrip and finger endurance test!😂 then my hands get tired...then my head gets tired and I start to lose focus, have less hands control and mistakes start to compound...especially on longer tracks...then it's becomes a mental battle trying not to get too frustrated and manage, or sometime becoming nervous for fear of losing that good lap(and even more so when it's a 7 minute lap!!) and then it just becomes a balancing act between being too careful(and slow) or too agressive and getting that lap invalidated...all that because of a slippery controller!

In real life, on track the same thing happens when someone holds the steering wheel too tight under stress(plus you can't feel the front wheels feedback properly)...you get physically fatigued first and then mentally, that's where mistakes start to happen BUT at least with a wheel it doesn't slip out of your hands/finger tips and you can use your hands to your advantage to feel the car and do only one thing.

Really gotta get myself a wheel eventually so I can transfer all my skills from real life to the game and hopefully vice versa because hand dexterity with a pad is undoubtly a huge limiting factor for me at least, so kudos to all that do it with much succes, you guys are impressive
👽👍👍

Last edited:

As predicted the WR is now in the 29’s and I’m sure that will drop another second at least!

View attachment 1358143
I had a similar experience in real life. Driving a lap during touristenfahrt on the Ring I get disoriented towards the end of the track between Brunchen and the final straight. There are simply too many corners and at the end they all look alike under stress. So I called out to my co-driver: where the **** am I? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's true though that a few of them towards that last third have a similar visual feel and can be easily mistaken for one other but at least you got through 153 out of 154 corners or so without being lost 👍👍

compared to some people that get really lost on a 15 corners track...and that can get really scary sometimes, believe me! 😂

Last edited:
Martini and me......

I don't know what's the deal with you..... you give me feeling to push.....sometimes you let me, sometimes you dont....
For me it's still 7 minutes plus on edge...
We get along better than yesterday but you give me to much code browns for comfort 🤣🤣

Did manage to get into the 39's ... barely tho..

1000020528.jpg

But man it's a beautiful run with that sunlight thru the trees, they call them god's rays or something right?

1000020527.jpg

@JRFrench Sweaty hands........100%....yes 🤣🤣

I have to do my runs early in the day for the heat, so this is during my morning coffee. This is basically the lap I was supposed to have yesterday without the Wippermann incident.
18faeb673ea3-screenshotUrl.jpg

So since this felt like nothing special, I had a look at what's my optimum through the last three sessions. That would be 7:37.9. Having all purple lap at Nordschleife is pretty much impossible of course, but right now for a target I'm thinking more low 38 than sub-39. This has felt still too easy so far, but might just be the combo is so similar to what I've been driving for fun for ages. Huge improvements might just not be there for me anymore.

Edit: Oh, and I still haven't watched a single lap by anyone else. I'll have one or two more sessions on my own, but I'm intrigued to see some super alien laps on this one. A full Nordschleife lap right on the very bleeding edge is art.

Last edited:
Knocked another 7 seconds or so off at the ring so within spitting distance of bronze (10.58%)!
Being a little more daring in the second half than usual - I don't know that part as well as the first half because if I bin it in the first half I restart, usually. Having said that, I'm binning it more in the second half now! 🤣

Crazy times pouring in. @TumeK5 I didn't know you were such an alien on the Ring 👽

After so many binned laps I finally came through with a 39. Overall a tidy lap, except for overshooting the Carousel, though managing to pull back into the banking still costing quite a chunk of time and losing a tenths here and there along the track. On the rare occasion of clocking more than one lap consecutively, the Opt showed a promising 38. The 911 feels very balanced making it a joy to drive, but driving this at my limit is like dancing on a knife's edge :scared:

Opted for 16" wheels and wide offset, as it seems to be a tad smoother in weight shifting to me.

Shared the lap replay under #gtplanet #ikon313 #timetrial if anyone cares for a lap on PS4 with controller ;)

Edit: pretty interesting how these time trials, especially on a long lap such as the Nordschleife with a demanding car on hard sports tyres, reveal my weaknesses and bad habits like coasting too much and braking too early. Usually I like oversteery cars more, but tend to force them a bit to understeer to keep a safer line. Also, I could use some practice in trail braking and inducing more slip angle.

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240525110638.png
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240525110616.png
Nürburgring Nordschleife__5.jpeg
Nürburgring Nordschleife__3.jpeg
Nürburgring Nordschleife__1.jpeg
Nürburgring Nordschleife__6.jpeg

Last edited:
@ikon_313 I'm a sucker for the ring, I've also done plenty of test laps with various cars. Have been quite lazy lately though, since I always aim to get the fastest lap possible (as one should), but due to the amount of cars I drive I sometimes move on and drive the next car.

I even got a cut-out of Nordschleife for my walls some time back. Green Hell ftw!

002.JPG

@ikon_313 I'm a sucker for the ring, I've also done plenty of test laps with various cars. Have been quite lazy lately though, since I always aim to get the fastest lap possible (as one should), but due to the amount of cars I drive I sometimes move on and drive the next car.

I even got a cut-out of Nordschleife for my walls some time back. Green Hell ftw!

View attachment 1358275
Nice littly corner you have there with the GT stripes and the map :)

Edit: and obviously building consistancy over the years shows merit. Good luck staying in the top 100 🖖

Last edited:
I managed to get down to a 1.45.699 at brands and i probably won't be able to beat that, although the problem is now i know i can having been on pace to beat it multiple times 😂

Replay is shared in case anyone is still trying to find some time there or if any aliens want a good laugh lol

Good luck everyone. I'll be joining you at the ring soon

Well today I thought I would go for a little ride on the Nurburgring to see if I could improve my 7'49. Well, I'm at the same stage as yesterday...no improvement...I don't understand...I tried the DS5 and the GT DD Pro...nothing helps...I'm jaded...😪😪
Don't get discouraged mate, this combo needs miles to get to know the car, it's not the easiest one...
Tricky track and tricky car imo.

I'll share my replay shortly, went to a 39.3 I think, maby it helps you.

You got this mate, still early and lots of time to learn the combo!

Back