Tips for changing from automatic to manual

• Thread starter stpatty
  • 63 comments
I prefer manual because it adds another way to shift the weight of the car during a turn and you can also force the car into higher or lower torque ranges for specific sections of the course.

I put downshift on L1 and the brakes on L2, so downshifting is an easy while I decelerate. The throttle is on R2 with the upshift on R1, again because I'll be upshifting while accelerating. With a new car, look up the gear ration in the tuning settings and observe at what speed you should be shifting in the first few gears. Then, as you race, use the audio queue to know when to shift keeping those shift points from the tuning screen in mind. From there, adapt your shift points to time out with the course.

I too never got to grips with manual whilst using a DS4. Probably a combination of being too old and too uncoordinated!

When I bought a wheel I tried again and very quickly adjusted. It is now such a part of me that I change gear without any conscious effort at all.

If someone has used my game with gears on automatic, and I don't notice before playing, it feel so wrong that I have to stop to change it back to manual.

You can usually get faster lap times by using manual and in the game, it is simplified because it acts like a semi-automatic or sequential because you shift gears in a specific or numerical order, using paddles or the +/- shifter, not by any gears you wish to shift in at the moment, unless you have a good wheel that also has a dedicated stick shift and pedals for manual driving, then that's possible I guess.

If you don't shift manually you might as well play Wipeout.
I'm much better at WipEout than Gran Turismo.

@stpatty How's it going with the switch to manual?
I'm going to start once the current FIA seasons end. I pretty much stick to those races rather than dailies, so once the next two rounds are done I can really focus on it. I wasn't expecting the change to be something that only took a week or so, so I'm alright with it taking a while. I've also been getting used to bumper cam and listening to the car properly which I think will be a big help, that should lessen the shock when it's time to change.

I platinumed WipEout Omega last week. Trophy number 7000. Quite disappointed by how easy it was really, HD was much harder. I hope we get another one in the future. I've since gone on a Feisar livery creation binge though, that's cool.

In other news, I've made the change. The first race I was used it in was the Porsche 911 endurance race at Tokyo. I tried short shifting to try and save a bit of fuel but it didn't seem to make a difference. I did a few more GT League events in slower cars after that. The main problem I had in the Porsche was inconsistency, especially at the hairpin next to the pits. I was trying to be as regular as possible with speeds and braking points, but it was all over the place speed-wise. I'd brake at the 150 board and some times I'd pull up short, other times I'd go far too deep. I did some Gr.2 events and I had a similar problem there at Sardegna.

My first proper online races were tonight's FIA events at a wet Red Bull Ring and the Nürburgring GP circuit. Both in the Nissan GT-R. I figured this was the best car to use for an online race since I've driven it more than any other and I'm going to be driving it more than any other. Both races were a bit of a wash out to be honest, but the wet one was always going to be a lottery. Nurb was good though. My worry about forgetting to change up didn't come to anything (mostly), and it was nice to know it was obvious when to change, having spent so much practice time for Austria trying to balance the throttle. I even went round the outside of a guy at the left-hander after the Schumacher S while downshifting, and didn't hit him!

The worst part control-wise has been using R2 for the throttle. It's quite painful on the finger, especially in those longer races. I switched from my index finger to my middle quite quickly, and that helped. There's definitely a lot less resistance than there is in the right stick, so it'll take a bit of getting used to. The Austria race today helped, since you needed to be at 75% throttle for about 75% of the race anyway. Square for down, X for up. It works.

In terms of benefits, the first one is something I knew would happen from watching top 10 replays. The braking distance can be so much shorter. The first corner at Nürburgring, I used to brake before 150 board where the grass starts pulling away. Tonight it was closer to 120, stopping perfectly on the apex. Even with hard tyres on. That's going to take some getting used to, I'm fine with that. I also had to short shift in that race because the GT-R is awful for fuel, and I managed it. Did it in the race, did it in my practice. With that in mind, I have a few follow-up questions.

I'm alright with shifting and being in the right gear (well, a consistent gear) for corners. for corners. It's a combination of instinct, sound and watching the rev bar so far, I'm actually surprised at how quickly I took to it. The problem is my speed is all over the place. The problem I had with the Gr.2 cars at Sardegna seems to follow me no matter what I drive in. I can, in my view, drive at the same speed, same lines, same gears, same braking points, then have noticeably different cornering experiences. Is this something that comes with practice, or am I doing something wrong?

In the wet RBR race the car was revving differently because of the grip. Usually it redlines at 50-55 for 1st, 70-75 for 2nd, 95-100 for 3rd, 125 for 4th and... well, I didn't shift up to 6th if I could help it. In the rain though that changed when I was at full throttle, 2nd and 3rd would go up instantly and then 4th would start to go up, then falter as the vibration fell away and the car stabilised. Is this just a symptom of low grip? Like I mentioned, I had to be at 75% throttle to keep it from spinning which stopped these problems, but it'd be good to know how it varies by car/surface/conditions.

All in all the change is going well from a practical standpoint. I can do it, I'm just not very good at it. Is there anything else I should be doing?

I've played racing and driving games for the best part of twenty years. My first Gran Turismo was 3, when it came out. No other series of driving games has captured my attention the way they have, even when I've been mostly underwhelmed by them (see: GT5). In all of that time I've used automatic transmission. I think I've tried manual twice. I remember trying it on Trial Mountain in GT5. I think I was driving something fast. I could well be making this memory up, but I think I tried it during the license test in GT3 where Jimmy Broadbent spent most of an afternoon, taking a Camaro up the hill at Seattle. On both occasions, I didn't last very long. I've tried it more recently, and I didn't last very long either. I've tried it with Project Cars too, I'd often go through a corner and wonder why I wasn't accelerating and was making a lot of noise before I realised I'd forgotten about gears entirely.

I don't drive in real life, so I've never had any reason to learn how to be focused enough to drive with gears in mind. I think it's a mental thing for me actually, because one of my few recurring dreams involves attempting to drive a car somewhere and being a complete disaster zone. My problem with it in games is I forget. I'm so focused on trying to steer, accelerate and race the other cars that I'd be overwhelmed trying to add another input, especially when it's frequent.

With that said, I've had enough. Over the course of the year and a half I've been playing this game I assumed I'd make the switch if I ever got a wheel, but I can't see that happening in the future. I thought about making this thread a while ago when a few races showed how much of a disadvantage I was at, but it's been an ongoing thing for weeks. I can't fuel save, which is a pain because I drive for Nissan in the Manufacturer Series and because PD set appalling fuel consumption rates in both Daily and FIA races. I can't control certain cars properly because the car will be in the wrong gear at the wrong time. I feel as if I'm wasting my time sticking with something which is demonstrably worse, both in terms of immersion and potential. I have it bad enough with tyre wear when using a DS4, so if I can make a positive change, I think I should.

I'm not, I suppose, bad at the game as-is. My ratings are currently tanked, but my DR was as high as 34.9K just recently. When I don't piss about in daily races I can regularly be an A driver when focusing on FIA races, and can consistently get 1000+ point results. I also have the Platinum trophy from Gran Turismo 5, which has nothing to do with this topic but I feel I should mention anyway. There's pace in there.

So, my questions are as follows:

- Have you made this change, and how did you find it?
- What buttons should I use? Currently I use the right stick for throttle and R2 for brake. I get the feeling this should change. What buttons should I map rear view and change view to?
- How much attention do you have to pay to the game as you play for this to work consistently?
- How long does it take to learn what gear you should be in for what corner on certain tracks?
- … will this make me better at this game, or driving games in general? Will it make me enjoy them more?

Thanks for any suggestions anyone has.
1. I made the switch to manual on the PS2 GT games years ago.
2. I use X for throttle, square for brake, L2 for downshift and R2 for upshift. I have rear view mapped to the right stick and change view mapped to R1. I mapped the boost/DRS to L1 for cars that have it.
3. Honestly, you don't have to pay that much more attention than with an automatic, if you know when to shift.
4. Whatever gear keeps you in the powerband I guess, and whatever gear can get you out of a corner without drama. It depends on the gearing, and the drive layout. Generally second or third gear.
5. I can't say for sure. But there's no harm in learning.

For what it's worth, I don't drive in real life either.

I've played racing and driving games for the best part of twenty years. My first Gran Turismo was 3, when it came out. No other series of driving games has captured my attention the way they have, even when I've been mostly underwhelmed by them (see: GT5). In all of that time I've used automatic transmission. I think I've tried manual twice. I remember trying it on Trial Mountain in GT5. I think I was driving something fast. I could well be making this memory up, but I think I tried it during the license test in GT3 where Jimmy Broadbent spent most of an afternoon, taking a Camaro up the hill at Seattle. On both occasions, I didn't last very long. I've tried it more recently, and I didn't last very long either. I've tried it with Project Cars too, I'd often go through a corner and wonder why I wasn't accelerating and was making a lot of noise before I realised I'd forgotten about gears entirely.

I don't drive in real life, so I've never had any reason to learn how to be focused enough to drive with gears in mind. I think it's a mental thing for me actually, because one of my few recurring dreams involves attempting to drive a car somewhere and being a complete disaster zone. My problem with it in games is I forget. I'm so focused on trying to steer, accelerate and race the other cars that I'd be overwhelmed trying to add another input, especially when it's frequent.

With that said, I've had enough. Over the course of the year and a half I've been playing this game I assumed I'd make the switch if I ever got a wheel, but I can't see that happening in the future. I thought about making this thread a while ago when a few races showed how much of a disadvantage I was at, but it's been an ongoing thing for weeks. I can't fuel save, which is a pain because I drive for Nissan in the Manufacturer Series and because PD set appalling fuel consumption rates in both Daily and FIA races. I can't control certain cars properly because the car will be in the wrong gear at the wrong time. I feel as if I'm wasting my time sticking with something which is demonstrably worse, both in terms of immersion and potential. I have it bad enough with tyre wear when using a DS4, so if I can make a positive change, I think I should.

I'm not, I suppose, bad at the game as-is. My ratings are currently tanked, but my DR was as high as 34.9K just recently. When I don't piss about in daily races I can regularly be an A driver when focusing on FIA races, and can consistently get 1000+ point results. I also have the Platinum trophy from Gran Turismo 5, which has nothing to do with this topic but I feel I should mention anyway. There's pace in there.

So, my questions are as follows:

- Have you made this change, and how did you find it?
- What buttons should I use? Currently I use the right stick for throttle and R2 for brake. I get the feeling this should change. What buttons should I map rear view and change view to?
- How much attention do you have to pay to the game as you play for this to work consistently?
- How long does it take to learn what gear you should be in for what corner on certain tracks?
- … will this make me better at this game, or driving games in general? Will it make me enjoy them more?

Thanks for any suggestions anyone has.

As someone that switched to automatic (on DS4) to manual (again on DS4) in the last few months, & funnily enough I've also had those same "****ing up driving" dreams because I never went for my license purely because i've always lived in cities where it's not needed.

- It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, I put off doing it for years and years, all those games I kept automatic because it felt like it free'd my mind up to focus on race craft instead of thinking about gears... But once i made the switch I think I didn't even drive at first, I just watched the replays of the top 10 guys to see when they were shifting.
Gearing for me was all about making sure I was in the right gear going into a corner and then it would "click" from that point muscle memory takes over and you start experimenting more with short shifting etc.

- I kept gearing on the X and Square buttons. I use L2 and R2 for brake and throttle purely because I feel it gives me the best way to applying different pressure on the brakes/throttle... But it'll never be a wheel & is one of the areas that we are disadvantaged. I think I have rear view as L1 and change camera as R1.

- Not that much. I thought manual gears would become the primary focus, but it doesn't, it's still secondary. Its primary at first, until it "clicks" and it becomes part of your muscle memory, then you'll just shift with the sound I think.

- This is ongoing, as I said I watched the top 10 guys... but honestly, I usually watch someone like FT_Ant, or one of the turismo people, whoever has the highest time with whatever car I'm going to use every week... and I just watch what they've done. Then I'll go try get some times in, then come back and watch them again, until I clean up errors & have it to where I'm happy with it.

It definitely will make you better AND the game more enjoyable. For me my strength was the racing itself, but I was losing out to guys that had already adapted to no traction/manual gears etc, so then I made the switch and now I'm at a level where I feel like I can compete with everyone except for the true top 100 guys maybe. Like even a couple of them i've beat them in certain races (very rarily, and obviously just a track they struggle at)

If you wantto be as good as you can be, you will eventually have to get a wheel, because it IS an advantage, and a big one, but you can definitely be very very good with a controller if you adapt to the "hardest settings".

Just keep in mind that if two guys were of equal skill, the one on the wheel would be faster & get way less tyre wear in races haha.

I platinumed WipEout Omega last week. Trophy number 7000. Quite disappointed by how easy it was really, HD was much harder. I hope we get another one in the future. I've since gone on a Feisar livery creation binge though, that's cool.

In other news, I've made the change. The first race I was used it in was the Porsche 911 endurance race at Tokyo. I tried short shifting to try and save a bit of fuel but it didn't seem to make a difference. I did a few more GT League events in slower cars after that. The main problem I had in the Porsche was inconsistency, especially at the hairpin next to the pits. I was trying to be as regular as possible with speeds and braking points, but it was all over the place speed-wise. I'd brake at the 150 board and some times I'd pull up short, other times I'd go far too deep. I did some Gr.2 events and I had a similar problem there at Sardegna.

My first proper online races were tonight's FIA events at a wet Red Bull Ring and the Nürburgring GP circuit. Both in the Nissan GT-R. I figured this was the best car to use for an online race since I've driven it more than any other and I'm going to be driving it more than any other. Both races were a bit of a wash out to be honest, but the wet one was always going to be a lottery. Nurb was good though. My worry about forgetting to change up didn't come to anything (mostly), and it was nice to know it was obvious when to change, having spent so much practice time for Austria trying to balance the throttle. I even went round the outside of a guy at the left-hander after the Schumacher S while downshifting, and didn't hit him!

The worst part control-wise has been using R2 for the throttle. It's quite painful on the finger, especially in those longer races. I switched from my index finger to my middle quite quickly, and that helped. There's definitely a lot less resistance than there is in the right stick, so it'll take a bit of getting used to. The Austria race today helped, since you needed to be at 75% throttle for about 75% of the race anyway. Square for down, X for up. It works.

In terms of benefits, the first one is something I knew would happen from watching top 10 replays. The braking distance can be so much shorter. The first corner at Nürburgring, I used to brake before 150 board where the grass starts pulling away. Tonight it was closer to 120, stopping perfectly on the apex. Even with hard tyres on. That's going to take some getting used to, I'm fine with that. I also had to short shift in that race because the GT-R is awful for fuel, and I managed it. Did it in the race, did it in my practice. With that in mind, I have a few follow-up questions.

I'm alright with shifting and being in the right gear (well, a consistent gear) for corners. for corners. It's a combination of instinct, sound and watching the rev bar so far, I'm actually surprised at how quickly I took to it. The problem is my speed is all over the place. The problem I had with the Gr.2 cars at Sardegna seems to follow me no matter what I drive in. I can, in my view, drive at the same speed, same lines, same gears, same braking points, then have noticeably different cornering experiences. Is this something that comes with practice, or am I doing something wrong?

In the wet RBR race the car was revving differently because of the grip. Usually it redlines at 50-55 for 1st, 70-75 for 2nd, 95-100 for 3rd, 125 for 4th and... well, I didn't shift up to 6th if I could help it. In the rain though that changed when I was at full throttle, 2nd and 3rd would go up instantly and then 4th would start to go up, then falter as the vibration fell away and the car stabilised. Is this just a symptom of low grip? Like I mentioned, I had to be at 75% throttle to keep it from spinning which stopped these problems, but it'd be good to know how it varies by car/surface/conditions.

All in all the change is going well from a practical standpoint. I can do it, I'm just not very good at it. Is there anything else I should be doing?
Without actually watching your laps and driving the same combo we can't give you a precise answer. I am going to try to help you anyway.

What you describe in the wet is wheel spin. You are losing traction and the wheels are not pushing the car so the engine has little resistance and it revs almost instantly until 4th in your case. Why? I think the answer is because the engine lacks torque in higher gears and the weight of the car finally makes the wheel regain grip so it decelerates the engine since now it is actually pushing you forward again.

As a general rule instant redlining = wheelspin. If you hear the engine stalling and going lower in the rpm band than usual you shifted early because the wheelspin tricked you.

In gr 2 cars it could be wheelspin, missing the turn in point for a corner. Going through the corner in different gears can affect a bit the handling but it shouldn't be so massive. Also downshifting in different rythms can make you slow down more or less but not that much. My best guess is consistency in general, exit speed from the previous corner and the line you are driving not being the same.

Without actually watching your laps and driving the same combo we can't give you a precise answer. I am going to try to help you anyway.

What you describe in the wet is wheel spin. You are losing traction and the wheels are not pushing the car so the engine has little resistance and it revs almost instantly until 4th in your case. Why? I think the answer is because the engine lacks torque in higher gears and the weight of the car finally makes the wheel regain grip so it decelerates the engine since now it is actually pushing you forward again.

As a general rule instant redlining = wheelspin. If you hear the engine stalling and going lower in the rpm band than usual you shifted early because the wheelspin tricked you.

In gr 2 cars it could be wheelspin, missing the turn in point for a corner. Going through the corner in different gears can affect a bit the handling but it shouldn't be so massive. Also downshifting in different rythms can make you slow down more or less but not that much. My best guess is consistency in general, exit speed from the previous corner and the line you are driving not being the same.
I genuinely didn't/don't know about how wheelspin affects the revs, so that's good to know. Obviously it's exaggerated on a wet track and it seems the Gr.3 Nissan is one of the worst in those conditions, so there's probably not that much else to do there.

I'd been noticing in the past few weeks that my biggest problem when trying to be fast was my lines through corners. I was finding it hard to be consistent with when I was turning in, mostly being too late and missing the apex then being slowed further as I tried to make the corner. My inconsistency now with MT is probably a combination of the gears and my own talent limit, so I guess I'll keep trying. Once I've done Saturday's FIA races and practices I'll see if there's still a big variation in lap times. Thanks.

Don't get into the habit of gearing down instinctively at corners either. It's an obvious way to slow down but if your tyres break traction it's going to be game over.

I found that for cars not downshifting quick enough in automatic you can touch the parking brake (I remapped it to circle) and it'll kick down a gear, as long as it isn't going to be in the redline. I still like manual better though.

I wouldn't dream of using auto in GTS, you will only be slower. Brakes L2, Gas R2, Gear up Square and Gear down X. Bon courage.

I changed from auto to manual when I switched from the pad to a steering wheel with paddle shifters, because I really couldn't play well with manual and pad and change gears.
Really all you need to do is just GO FOR IT and practice and that's it. It all comes naturally, you get used to it, and then if you try automatic again it feels weird... and you realise how much better it is and how much faster you can go. Manual is absolutely key.

In GTS going manual is far more important than any previous GT games I think.
And I think every "veteran" player that has played GT1/GT2 has started with pad and automatic, its just normal, but you can easily make the transition, you only need the will to do it and lots of practice. But I recommend practicing by playing with others and having fun, not just practicing alone.

I changed from auto to manual when I switched from the pad to a steering wheel with paddle shifters, because I really couldn't play well with manual and pad and change gears.
Really all you need to do is just GO FOR IT and practice and that's it. It all comes naturally, you get used to it, and then if you try automatic again it feels weird... and you realise how much better it is and how much faster you can go. Manual is absolutely key.

In GTS going manual is far more important than any previous GT games I think.
And I think every "veteran" player that has played GT1/GT2 has started with pad and automatic, its just normal, but you can easily make the transition, you only need the will to do it and lots of practice. But I recommend practicing by playing with others and having fun, not just practicing alone.

Manual gear selection is an imperative.

Manual gear selection is an imperative.
I think its very difficult to do it with a pad though
Also I dont think it was so important in earlier GT titles compared to GT Sport for going really fast and have the car to the most absolute control

I think its very difficult to do it with a pad though
Also I dont think it was so important in earlier GT titles compared to GT Sport for going really fast and have the car to the most absolute control
I use one of those cheap steering wheel housings (DS4 set to motion control) on the DS4 and mapped the shifter to the right stick. Easy.

I use one of those cheap steering wheel housings (DS4 set to motion control) on the DS4 and mapped the shifter to the right stick. Easy.
Well, I would highly recommend to spend more and get a wheel instead of strange inventions, its worth it
Also I started using it back in GT6 and PS3, dont know if this thing was available back then

It's similar to the way PD have used the dashboard layouts. They're selected by l/r options and then defined - on a horizontal scale - by the u/d buttons. Utter madness. I refuse to be a part of it.

Well, I would highly recommend to spend more and get a wheel instead of strange inventions, its worth it
Also I started using it back in GT6 and PS3, dont know if this thing was available back then
I have a T150 but for quick races I just grab a DS4.

Many do and you're all wrong. Where is the logic?
I suppose X is the most common face button I use, so I used that for upshifts since that was the most conscious part of using manual. Maybe it was a subconscious holdover from using X for throttle and square for brake. Why would there be logic in reversing them?

Latest Posts

Back