Tips for PC players

• Thread starter Whitestar
  • 3 comments

Whitestar

Premium
Norway
Norway
Whitestar127
First of all, dig out a proper keyboard. That's right, it's 2020 and they still haven't hired anyone who knows what a mouse is apparently. Same problem as last year IIRC.

PC performance:
At 1920x1080 I could set everything to Ultra High on a 1080 Ti (i7-8700K) and got around 110fps in both sunny and rain. Very smooth.
On triple-screen 5760x1080 I got about 90-95 on High settings. Beware if you use the Borderless Gaming app. That reduced my fps by about 25-30!!

Controller settings:
Make sure you set max steering angle (or Rotation/Angle or Wheel Operating Range or whatever it's called in your wheel's drivers) to 360° in your wheel drivers. I assume you'll have to do this regardless of which wheel you own because there is no in-game setting for this.
Don't set Wheel Damper too high or your wheel might feel sluggish. This setting doesn't work at all like the "Dynamic damping" setting in ACC.

The official F1 2019 settings for my CSW 2.5 work fine for F1 2020 as well: https://forum.fanatec.com/discussio...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet
With the exception of ffb strength which I turned down to 65.

For proper FOV use this calculator and select Single Screen only, even if you are on triples. (The triple screen setting seems to mess up the calculation.) Then after setting screen ratio, screen size and distance to screen look at the value for "F1 2016/2017/+". Use that value as your FOV.

One last tip: when you turn vsync off to run the benchmark it will still be synced as long as you are in the menus. Don't worry as this is only a UI cap/vsync (which is a good thing IMO).
As soon as the benchmark loads the framerate will be unlocked.

Make sure you set max steering angle (or Rotation/Angle or Wheel Operating Range or whatever it's called in your wheel's drivers) to 360° in your wheel drivers. I assume you'll have to do this regardless of which wheel you own because there is no in-game setting for this.

Actually there is an in game setting for this, but it's not obvious what it does, nor how to use it.

In the controller calibration settings turn your wheel 180° from centre, and then adjust "steering saturation" until the steering gauge reads 100. You'll then have a 360° wheel that'll match the onscreen steering.

This'll save you having to go back into the wheels driver and reset it everytime you want to play something else.

Actually there is an in game setting for this, but it's not obvious what it does, nor how to use it.

In the controller calibration settings turn your wheel 180° from centre, and then adjust "steering saturation" until the steering gauge reads 100. You'll then have a 360° wheel that'll match the onscreen steering.

This'll save you having to go back into the wheels driver and reset it everytime you want to play something else.
Yeah I did that at first but it felt a bit different than setting 360° in the driver and setting Saturation to 0. At least to my hands the steering felt more natural when using 360°.
Placebo? Maybe. I'll have to go back and double check. :)

On my wheel it's not a problem anyway because I have several profiles saved in the Fanalab software.

It's how I've always done it in the F1 games, so I guess I'm just used to it like that, and wouldn't know if setting the driver to 360° has a different effect.

Back