Tips for tuning on the wheel

• Thread starter Fadam
  • 81 comments
England
Nottingham, Eng
Fadam23
SFX Fadam
Ok, so i got my Logitech Driving Force GT this morning and i can drift fine on controller but on the wheel it seems way to snappy and i get launched into the wall or i can't catch the drift and end up facing backwards or in the gravel :grumpy:.

Now i know most of you will probly just tell me to practice but i was looking for some help with tuning, any help will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks Adam :)

Well practice IS definitely going to be key :P

People differ a lot on what they like in their wheel setup for drifting. Some people crank up their FFB to get more noticeable/obvious tactile traction feedback, while other people reduce it so that they're not fighting the wheel as much. I personally turned mine down a bit as I'm used to running a looser to drift in LFS.

I have a feeling most will tell you not to use Power Steering...but I say try it and see how you like it. It should make tossing the wheel back and forth smoother, but you're going to have a harder time feeling out the grip. However, if you're used to drifting on pad you might not necessarily NEED the tactile feedback...though once you get used to it you'll probably like it :P I personally haven't been using Power Steering, but I'll probably mess with it at some point.

The biggest thing you're going to have to get used to is centering your wheel. On pad when you let go of a direction the wheels snap back to center, but with the wheel that's all on you. That's honestly probably the most difficult part of getting a feel for drifting, knowing when you don't need countersteer to avoid snap over, and it's definitely a matter of feel. The wheels will fight you turning back to center, but you'll know when you hit the sweet spot and lock into some nice floaty 4 wheel drift :)

I haven't really started drifting much in GT5 yet, as my drift car hasn't come around in the used car lot yet. I've thus far only really messed with the FD3S in arcade and an RX8 I bought just for the penniless trophy :P

Yea this is my 1st time using a 900degree wheel but i used to drift on FM3 with the MS wheel but this is a completely different ball park lol. How do i get to the power steering option? I'd like to give it a bash without it and is there even an option to turn the FFB up or down on GT5?

Yea i get the centering the wheel and "pushing" against the FFB to keep the drift going but when i got to transition it snaps and i end up facing the way i just come :( lol.

I guess i will just builg up a basic S13 or something and try with that cause ive been trying to learn in a fully modified M3 E92 lol. Thanks for the advice anyway, i appriciate it :)

In the options menu on the main menu, on the far left of the wheel settings submenus there's one for general wheel...settings. Wow a lot of repeated words there.

Anyway, it'll have options such as steering assist level, power steering, and FFB strength.

The S13 is a good starter car. The Amuse S2000 street car worked really well for me. Any S2000 is great honestly. I would say stay away from the AE86 until you get more comfortable. Everyone assumes it's easy to drift but I find it to be pretty picky about how you handle it.

Also I might suggest not tuning much beyond suspension and tires initially, and don't make HUGE changes to the suspension. You don't wanna become dependant on power and doing too much to the suspension right off the bat will make it harder to understand and appreciate the changes you make on the setup.

Yea all i was going to do to it was put an LSD, suspention and Comfort: Meduim tyres onit just to learn some weight transition and carrying my speed, also get used to the countersteer lol. I'll give one of the S2000 a try if that fails :D

Yea this is my 1st time using a 900degree wheel but i used to drift on FM3 with the MS wheel but this is a completely different ball park lol. How do i get to the power steering option? I'd like to give it a bash without it and is there even an option to turn the FFB up or down on GT5?

Yea i get the centering the wheel and "pushing" against the FFB to keep the drift going but when i got to transition it snaps and i end up facing the way i just come :( lol.

I guess i will just builg up a basic S13 or something and try with that cause ive been trying to learn in a fully modified M3 E92 lol. Thanks for the advice anyway, i appriciate it :)
I'm still learning to deal with that myself. I just try to counter steer quicker but be carefully not to go too much and pull myself out of drift and make sure I'm not on the gas too much either because you need that split second of grip to bring the car back.

Yea i think i just need to get used to spinning the wheel more because i'm used to the MS wheel, which is only 180 degrees from lock to lock. I guess its just time to practice lol.

Cro, trust me, it is lol

Wheel drifting on GT5 sounds like a handful. Also, Ohai.
IMO, it's mainly because of the 270 to 900 degree jump. On forza wheel drifting was uber easy, the wheel caught the drift for you. All you had to do was let it hit lock then pull back some. But the rewarding feeling you get linking two corners letting the wheel spin back and forth is just awesome.

IMO, it's mainly because of the 270 to 900 degree jump. On forza wheel drifting was uber easy, the wheel caught the drift for you. All you had to do was let it hit lock then pull back some. But the rewarding feeling you get linking two corners letting the wheel spin back and forth is just awesome.

Lookin forward to tryin it... Off-topic: anyone seen or drifted a supra rz yet?

Yeah, you'll just need to practise, practise and more practise, I know you may think you're terrible at drifting right now but you'll get better :sly:

Ok, i been practicing with an S13 with LSD, coilovers and around 220bhp and things are getting better, i can actually get through corners now but sometimes still get shot off into the wall on the exit lol, oh well i'll get there eventually.

Thanks again for the advice guys:tup: :D

Hey Fadam.

GT5 was my first time with the full 900 lock as well.To start i thought i would never be able to stay away from the wall then i started to get the hang of entering the corner then when i went to exit, straightened up then just kept going the other way but getting there now and to tell you the truth i don't actually use a setup on my cars just now i just do some upgrades get the power up a bit not nearly as much as forza though only to about mid 300BHP. On the supra that im using just now i have even left stock suspension on and it works brilliantly so as for the tuning i cant help but it realy is just practice practice and more practice.

roors actually made a track that we found nice for starting out with the wheel on and learning to do transitions not sure if you have him as a friend or not his PSN is roors94 he wont mind you adding him im sure if you want the track.

Good Luck :)

Yea i think i might add a little more power into the car so i can burn the tyres in 3rd abit better, cause that's when i seem to be straightening out, when im full throttle come out a corner at the top of second of if i switch up into 3rd.

We will have to have a little drift once im abit better

Has anyone experimente with the extreme side of tunes? Ive seen ricky's ridiculous camber on his s15 on the forza forums but what about the real core of your suspension tuning? Does setting it to the softest setting make it ridiculously squishy? Does tightening everything up beyond logic make it twitch and stutter like all
hell? Im hoping the tuning is at least mildly in-depth.

I've got a pretty soft set-up on my R34 grip car, and you can tell it's soft from the body roll ect, but no way near as soft as Forza, lol

I gotta agree with everyone. It just takes practice. It definitely helps if you had some prior experience to drifting an actual car.

Once you get better, youll start to realize that the only quickest way to recover from a snap oversteer is to literally throw the steering wheel in the other direction. 👍

the tuning in GT5 is good but IMO doesn't seem to go as in depth as forza or you just cant tune as many different parts of your car as for trying out the total opposites i haven't really done just the camper and personally didn't notice all that much difference when drift with the camber set to 0 or -10 but i did spend most my time spinning out

I've been drifting with the toyota ft-86 with only an ecu upgrade and it works fairly well. It took me awhile to get the hang of driving normally with the DFGT back in GT5P, and then i figured if I could drive, why couldn't I drift? Turns out, i couldn't drift to save my life. Now that the FFB is much better in GT5, it's a lot easier to hit that "sweet spot". Turn in, when you feel the wheel starting to fight against you, let it turn the other way and control it from there. Just remember to react to what you feel from the wheel, not from what you see on screen. By the time you react to what you've seen, you're already too late.

Ok, so i got my Logitech Driving Force GT this morning and i can drift fine on controller but on the wheel it seems way to snappy and i get launched into the wall or i can't catch the drift and end up facing backwards or in the gravel :grumpy:.

Now i know most of you will probly just tell me to practice but i was looking for some help with tuning, any help will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks Adam :)

I feel you dude, I was the same way like that in GT4 but I just practiced and practiced, and realized what I did. Then I learned :dopey:. But I Just bought a PS3 and GT5 and now its like all over again.

I'm just learning drifting with the DFGT myself. I found out something. You need to know what you want to do long before you do it. As you're coming up to the corner, line yourself up so you can give it a bit more power or throttle, and lighten up on the steering so its not at such a high angle. Then jump off and back on the throttle again as you transition and the wheel swings to the other direction. be sure to kep a balance and only let it go as far to the opposite side as it was sitting before you transitioned. Eg, if it was 90 degress to the right it should be 90 degrees to the lft as you transition. It worked for me. Its not a concrete thing, its meant to be a learning point so you get used to it and can get used to transitioning at much higher speds and angles. Can't go super fast, but I can hold a decently fast drift.

ive gotten the hang of drifting on my wheel on here so far. the hardest part are the switchbacks. Oddly enough, I used my wheel in 900 degrees on forza, and its mad easy. Gt5 feels closer to live for speed for me.

ive gotten the hang of drifting on my wheel on here so far. the hardest part are the switchbacks. Oddly enough, I used my wheel in 900 degrees on forza, and its mad easy. Gt5 feels closer to live for speed for me.

That's because Forza 3 does not have true 900 degree support. Due to the steering buffer, the game always steers for you, to a certain degree. The larger your steering ratio, the more this is intensified.

;)

I've noticed that. Even with 900 degree on my wheel, it's more or less 720 in response, but I can still use it like 270 at any speed. Suppose that is why drifting on the controller is so weird with gran turismo. I hated not having a wheel on the other gt's.

My advice is to make sure your wheel is straight when your car straightens out at the end of a drift. You know, always remember what direction your wheels are facing. Sorry if that advice was too basic, I'm no expert myself. But that was my biggest problem when starting out.

Lots of usefull tips for me when i can finally start using my DFGT. (Waiting for the adaptioin kit for the wheelstand)

Nice to see other FM3 guys checking this out with wheels!

Thanks for all the advice guys, good to see a few FM boys on here aswell, feel free to add me so we can drift when i get better lol

I must say with these new physics it's actually alot easier to drift with a wheel compared to GT4. I mean to sustain the drift.

I couldn't for example drift the ring in autumn ring mini within gt4, but now i can. It has alot more reality into the steering input then before. Very nice!

Back