Tips for tuning on the wheel

• Thread starter Fadam
  • 81 comments
I'm curious, with your experience do you find the oversteer physics in GT5 do be fairly off?

I find the snap-back effect to be unrealistically sensitive which prohibits me from inputing as much counter steer as I think I need to. I also feel there is a significant lag between the wheel and screen forcing me to think a bit ahead of what the car is actually doing. I can drift fairly well with a wheel but it still feels 'off' to me, I hope I'm not learning bad habits for real driving...

you are absolutely correct.

real car, you don't even have to throw the wheel sometimes.

gt5, you always do.

real car, it never snaps back all crazy when you counter.

gt5, it always happens.

oh well still fun.

you are absolutely correct.

real car, you don't even have to throw the wheel sometimes.

gt5, you always do.

real car, it never snaps back all crazy when you counter.

gt5, it always happens.

oh well still fun.

Spoken like someone who has never drifted a real car.

Everything you just said is exactly what happens when drifting, besides the so-called steering lag, which is actually just due to the fact, the in game wheel turns 270, instead of being 1:1.

Having entered quite a few drifting contests (Seattle, WA), and even won a couple (in my defunct S13 One-Via), I can say all the techniques used in real racing/drifting can be applied to GT5, and with much success.

If you think a real car doesn't snap-back when the tires regain traction prematurely, you are very much mistaken. Go see a local drift comp sometime. Watch how many people snap into walls, or just spin out due to just such a situation.

bringing the wheel straight coming out of a drift is clunky and not smooth, and clutch
kicks don't seem to really have a large effect while sliding or initiating anyway - throttle
over seems to be the ticket.

We must be playing a different game (or maybe it's your wheel). My wheel inputs are smooth as silk, and I haven't had any problem with clutch-kick (shifting down to 2nd or 3rd in some situations can be a pain.... let's see a patch, PD), but all the techniques I have used in real life, have transferred here without any real trouble (feint, lift-off, braking, clutch-kick, etc...). The only big difference I have noticed (as with all "games") is the lack of G-Forces, which of course adds a another element to real life drifting (fatigue/fear).

;)

i think it's the "lag" that makes drifting feel a little akward. correct me if i'm wrong, but i think drifting is a constant "feel-and-react" kind of experience. but of course this can be corrected and remedied with practice and experience.

PS: anyone else miss shifts while pressing down on the throttle on the G25? i'm shifting correctly, clutch>then shift. but if throttle is also pressed (as with heel-and-toe tech), my car wouldn't engage and enter the gear i'm trying to shift to.

i think it's the "lag" that makes drifting feel a little akward. correct me if i'm wrong, but i think drifting is a constant "feel-and-react" kind of experience. but of course this can be corrected and remedied with practice and experience.

There is only "lag" if you're using the cockpit view, and even then, it's only a visual lag due to the steering animation not matching your actual steering rotation (900 with most wheels). If you are using bumper-cam, there's no visual lag whatsoever. Even when I use cockpit view the animation doesn't bother me. I guess I'm used to it. Forza 3, GT5:P, and most all other cockpit view enabled games only animate about 270 degrees.

PS: anyone else miss shifts while pressing down on the throttle on the G25? i'm shifting correctly, clutch>then shift. but if throttle is also pressed (as with heel-and-toe tech), my car wouldn't engage and enter the gear i'm trying to shift to.

This is a well known issue, and it is not wheel specific. It is an issue with the game. The clutch is an on-off switch, and as you said, you have to be completely off the throttle when attempting to change gears (2nd gear being the biggest culprit). Furthermore, if you are drifting you will notice another problem. Not being able to shift accurately (or at all sometimes) during wheelspin/traction loss.

It helps to short-shift a bit. Heel-Toe is possible, you just have to make sure you release the throttle all the way (after blipping the throttle) before slotting the gear in place, and releasing the clutch.

Many people seem to think this is an issue caused by online "cheating". By power shifting, you can effectively shift faster, than by using the paddles. To even out the playing field they implemented this feature.

Hopefully a patch will be released that will change the clutch from an on-off switch to an analog system as it is in most sim games.

;)

@teh luckinator

i'll try that! lol

been drifting, or more like trying, last night til about 4am with the touge monster amemiya FD and still can't link corners very well in autumn mini. reading this thread, it seems i need a better technique at catching the wheel at the moment i switch directions. i have no clue when or where i would catch it tho. i guess i'll just have to learn it through playing.

Where you catch the wheel is entirely up to you, and sometimes it depends on the corner, speed and BHP.

There is a basic system that you must do when drifting. The first thing you must do is create weight transfer to get the rear to slide, at this point, you release the wheel totally, catch the wheel the desired amount, then control.
Again. 1)weight transfer 2)let go 3)catch, then 4)control. Every drift has these same stages.

Like i said, where you catch the wheel is entirely up to you and the situation/car. You may be approaching a slow corner and you want maximum lock, so you let the wheel go and you catch it again close to maximum lock. You dont want to let the wheel hit maximum lock too often as you need some room for stage 4)control.
If you have low bhp and are going around a fast corner then you can obviously not get maximum lock and expect to hold it for the entire corner, so you catch the wheel sooner, maybe when its rotated 180 degrees, for example.

So, in a nutshell it is entirely up to the driver where he wants to catch the wheel after he lets go. The longer you let the wheel spin the more angle. With practice you will get the desired angle for the corner without thinking. But with 500+bhp thats where the fun begins....

But always remember the 4 points.....1)weight shift 2)let go 3)catch, then 4)control.

You can also help the countersteer if you wish, but you do not have to, depends on how confident you are, but also a very strong weight shift you must force the countersteer as the wheel will not counter fast enough. But with weak(er) weight shifts you can just let go.

For those that want to learn how to do switchbacks without ending up pointing in the wrong direction:

There are a couple of ways to do this, one method is with you'r hands, and the other method is with your feet.

The first method is when, for example, drifting round a right hander, you will be in a left countersteer situation, when you want to initiate a switchback, you can increase the countersteer for a moment and wait for the weight shift, depending on how strong the weight shift is you can either simply let the wheel go, or force the countersteer, and immediatly go to stage 4) control.

The second method is when, going around the right hander with left countersteer, you take your foot off the throttle this will cause the front to get loaded and the rear to get lighter, how much you take your foot off the throttle depends on the situation and what you want to do. Now the important part, your foot is off the throttle, the weight shift commences to initiate the drift in the opposite direction, you let go of the wheel, when the wheel is somewhere in the right countersteer portion of the manouver, when the wheel is still spinning, you floor the throttle and go into stage 4) control.

With the second method, if you put the throttle down too late, or not at all you will spin as your weight is more on the front wheels. With practice you will be able to feel when the correct time is to commence the throttle.

A good way to practice switchbacks is down a long straight, and do a manji, or arab drift down the straight controlling your speed, throttle, countersteer, weight transfer etc. You don't want to be going too fast either, trying to drift at a high a speed as possible. You want torque left over to control the car otherwise your just gonna make it even more difficult on yourself, and making things more difficult than they already are to a learning mind is a huge negative on progression.

If anybody has questions feel free to fire away.

Hope this helps people.

Add Proto-Cltchkik and i can teach anyone how to drift in one day :D

Even if i dont have a mic? I need so much more practice!!

I can now sometimes hold shallow drifts, but letting the wheel spin always ends up in coutersnap and wall hitting...

Spoken like someone who has never drifted a real car.

Everything you just said is exactly what happens when drifting, besides the so-called steering lag, which is actually just due to the fact, the in game wheel turns 270, instead of being 1:1.

Having entered quite a few drifting contests (Seattle, WA), and even won a couple (in my defunct S13 One-Via), I can say all the techniques used in real racing/drifting can be applied to GT5, and with much success.

If you think a real car doesn't snap-back when the tires regain traction prematurely, you are very much mistaken. Go see a local drift comp sometime. Watch how many people snap into walls, or just spin out due to just such a situation.

We must be playing a different game (or maybe it's your wheel). My wheel inputs are smooth as silk, and I haven't had any problem with clutch-kick (shifting down to 2nd or 3rd in some situations can be a pain.... let's see a patch, PD), but all the techniques I have used in real life, have transferred here without any real trouble (feint, lift-off, braking, clutch-kick, etc...). The only big difference I have noticed (as with all "games") is the lack of G-Forces, which of course adds a another element to real life drifting (fatigue/fear).

;)

hmm, strange, i thought i drifted in real life.

35215_666996776068_11705001_37894421_4610793_n.jpg

35215_666996771078_11705001_37894420_6531240_n.jpg

n11705001_32515139_8451.jpg

n11705001_32515145_304.jpg

n11705001_32515141_9053.jpg

hmm, strange.

i don't know what kind of crazy alignment you were running in your 240, but since we're dropping "i'm a real drifter" facts, here were my 240 alignments:

-3.2 camber front
-1.5 camber rear
7.7 degrees caster
stock toe all around
stock traction rods

i can't ever remember a time where i've countersteered and it violently snapped back the other way WITHOUT ME WANTING IT TO.

but what do i know? =)

well anyway, you said the tires catching grip prematurely. i don't understand how the re amemiya car with comfort hard tires and like 34590348509hp can catch grip when i'm full throttling at like 5k rpm.

so yeah, my interwebs driving style is not the same as my real driving style.

i'm garbage though.

I was quite high up there in GT HD on the drift leaderboards, but I was using the controller....and had been since GT3, playing Forza 1-3 in between, doing well there...

I now have a beautiful G27 + Playseat combination, and was having a lot of trouble drifting.

I got the Tank Car, and decided to mess around because...why the heck not, it would be AWESOME to see that thing sideways everywhere...

Anyways it was the best thing I could have done, the Tank Car is extremely slow, and slow to react, giving you the time to really figure out what you need to do with the wheel when drifting.

I got back and my drift scores are at least doubled in places I had issues with, and I'm finally able to hang it like I was before the wheel. No issues at all anymore.

So get out there and get that Tank Car! I won it somewhere down the A Spec road, but you can also buy it for X amount in the used car dealership.

shifting gears while gas pedal is even slightly touched...dosent work at all....this is the only car game that i think of that does this....

shift.NO..rfactor..NO..lfs..NO etc....very strange...did the same as gt5p,

iv started using seq gears.....(witch im not a fan of) cause ..gas n clutch problem drives me crazy...but hopefully will get fixed.

Well, that makes your original post even more confusing in my opinion. I don't know what settings you're running in the game, but I am certainly not regaining traction at full throttle in a "34590348509hp car" (as you so colorfully put it). In fact, there are 100's of GT5 drift videos out there showcasing every technique you can think of. I suggest you tinker with your in-game (and/or wheel) settings before coming down so hard on the game for elements that aren't there, if the game/wheel is set up properly.

shifting gears while gas pedal is even slightly touched...dosent work at all....this is the only car game that i think of that does this....

shift.NO..rfactor..NO..lfs..NO etc....very strange...did the same as gt5p,

iv started using seq gears.....(witch im not a fan of) cause ..gas n clutch problem drives me crazy...but hopefully will get fixed.

This would be one of the biggest problems with the game, in my opinion (being a clutch/h-gate user).

If anyone is noticing this problem, and wants a patch... Go to the official Gran Turismo Forums. They have a few threads regarding DLC/Patches and there doesn't seem to be enough discussion regarding this issue.

So, if you want a patch, make your voice heard.

;)

The gripping up in the middle of the corner is really starting to grind my gears now, I know I haven't got to much countersteer on because i'm pushing against the FFB, while full throttle in the cars powerband and i just end up in a wall. Even when I tried "feathering" the trottle it gripped up even easier :(.

Delphic Reason, would you mind giving me a hand with a set-up for my Supra RZ? It's got around 400bhp, fully customizable suspention, stage 2 weight, Comfort Medium tyres and an LSD. I would like some help with the spring & damper rates and alignment settings, it would be highly appriciated if you could :)

Nah, you only thought so :)

I suggest you tinker with your in-game (and/or wheel) settings before coming down so hard on the game for elements that aren't there, if the game/wheel is set up properly.

So if he doesn't think GT5 drift physics are quite realistic its because he's wrong and needs to change his settings? And "coming down so hard on the game" because he pointed out two possible flaws, really?

I think it's great to hear experienced drivers pick apart the finer points of GT5 physics. 👍

@throttle+shift problems
i think i would just refrain from using heel-and-toe. i'm currently just using sequential atm (i know.. it's kinda lame..).

wrt drifting:
with a DS3, i can drift pretty much the whole autumn mini. still amateur-ish, but definitely a lot better than with my G25. i just have to practice the CSing really, and timing of it.

@throttle+shift problems
i think i would just refrain from using heel-and-toe. i'm currently just using sequential atm (i know.. it's kinda lame..).

wrt drifting:
with a DS3, i can drift pretty much the whole autumn mini. still amateur-ish, but definitely a lot better than with my G25. i just have to practice the CSing really, and timing of it.

Seriously, G25 gave a lot of people (including myself) a humbling experience. Really gotta know where those front wheels are facing or else it doesnt come out right... I remember when I use to think I was a drift king on my controller till i tried it out on a wheel. You know that over dramatic facial expression in initial D when someone gets passed? YEAH THAT WAS EXACTLY MY FACE EVERYTIME on the wheel.
1291565445004.jpg

"w-w-why cant I do it!"​

Last edited:
Well, that makes your original post even more confusing in my opinion. I don't know what settings you're running in the game, but I am certainly not regaining traction at full throttle in a "34590348509hp car" (as you so colorfully put it). In fact, there are 100's of GT5 drift videos out there showcasing every technique you can think of. I suggest you tinker with your in-game (and/or wheel) settings before coming down so hard on the game for elements that aren't there, if the game/wheel is set up properly.

This would be one of the biggest problems with the game, in my opinion (being a clutch/h-gate user).

If anyone is noticing this problem, and wants a patch... Go to the official Gran Turismo Forums. They have a few threads regarding DLC/Patches and there doesn't seem to be enough discussion regarding this issue.

So, if you want a patch, make your voice heard.

;)

thanx for the advice....but it would be nice if the official website
(and gtplanet) maybe allowed us to have a patch/bug forum that we could discuss....then get a list of all the most common/wanted patch things fixed etc...to be be sent to them...sharing, allowing both sites to combine on this would be great...and i think we would get things fixed faster..umm well maybe!?.. cheers..

I just sat down for a few hours recently and taught myself to drift, and can now do consistent 10k+ laps on autumn ring mini and tsukuba with the g27 and h-gate.

Basically stuck doing feints and clutch kicks because handbrake is a pain, but it works out fine once you get the timing down (which is a practice thing).

My advice is to hop into a heavier, higher power car. They react a little slower and it gives you the time to learn how to react, and what kind of drift angle you can maintain. I've been using the RS6, its a beast, eats tires like nothing else and is long and heavy enough to lock into a drift at any speed.

Keep in mind, more throttle=more angle. Turning "in" (closer to center from your countersteer) produces the same effect. Turning out (closer to opposite lock) or decreasing throttle, or pressing brakes if ABS is on all make you lose angle. Once you know this, its just a matter of throwing it in at the right speed and angle, and maintaining it for as long as you have to. Going off the track is usually more of an issue with entry speed/angle. Some turns are taken REALLY slow, especially in a car that big on CH tires. Don't think you have to whip through, you can come in slow on some turns, clutch kick, and accelerate out sideways

Nah, you only thought so :)
So if he doesn't think GT5 drift physics are quite realistic its because he's wrong and needs to change his settings? And "coming down so hard on the game" because he pointed out two possible flaws, really?

I think it's great to hear experienced drivers pick apart the finer points of GT5 physics. 👍

I think it's great to hear experienced drivers opinions as well. Yet, can I not disagree? I just explained how I have not experienced what he explained. I haven't had any trouble with drift techniques whatsoever, outside of the well known shift/clutch issue.

This may be down to the vehicles, wheel, and settings we are using. My guess is it's a combination of many of the aforementioned elements.

Delphic Reason, would you mind giving me a hand with a set-up for my Supra RZ? It's got around 400bhp, fully customizable suspension, stage 2 weight, Comfort Medium tires and an LSD. I would like some help with the spring & damper rates and alignment settings, it would be highly appreciated if you could

I would be happy to help. Send me a PM, and I will do what I can. Give me a couple days. I'm away from my PS3 until Friday (business trip), but I should have time once I return home.

thanx for the advice....but it would be nice if the official website
(and gtplanet) maybe allowed us to have a patch/bug forum that we could discuss....then get a list of all the most common/wanted patch things fixed etc...to be be sent to them...sharing, allowing both sites to combine on this would be great...and i think we would get things fixed faster..umm well maybe!?.. cheers..

We have a few different threads here discussing bugs/glitches, and the Official site does as well. It all comes down to more people needing to speak out about the problem. If enough people make waves about this, PD will be more likely to take notice. PD pays attention to both the official site, and our GT5 forums. So, it's up to our members to post their experiences.

;)

i put my ffb all the way up to 10 and power assist off. MUCH BETTER. the game is actually playable now, i'd still have a better time with a g25/g27 but i'd also like to enjoy an extra $200 lol'd.

it still snaps, it's not as bad as when i had the old settings but it still gets really annoying. especially when you're tandeming with someone and you get off throttle for half a second and it sends you into the car in front.

anyone notice how weird the ebrake is? if you don't have a lot of angle and you try to rip it, it... sends you the other way.

wow i just realized there's so many ways to snap back hahaha.

Back