Tips on how to drive NSX Gr3 with tyre wear?

• Thread starter Ddkklop
  • 9 comments
India
India
Hello, I would like to use NSX Gr3 more, the only issue is that it becomes very tricky to drive once tyres start to wear out. This applies mainly in corners entries, but also in other occasions. Car is almost undriveable for me in races set with tyre wear. Are there any tips on how to become better with it?

1 don't accelerate too hard. Use throttle control. Break bias is important as well and not locking. Also in FIA if You will get sinned around Your tires will die immidietly.

Throttle control, tie breking, break bias, and not overriding the car. Don't try to accelerate and turn faster than You can. Listen to the wheels.

I can only give the advice I was given when I had the same problems with the gr.3 Ferrari. I didn't ever really get to grips with it so y'know, keep that in mind.

1. Move brake balance all the way to the front.
2. Brake in a straight line, keep trail braking to a minimum.
3. Use a higher gear on corner exit to help wheel spin.
4. Consider some TC to help tyre wear.
5. Watch Tidgneys episode on tyre wear.
6. MR cars handle better with a little throttle while cornering. I didn't really work this out though.
7. Good luck!

I can only give the advice I was given when I had the same problems with the gr.3 Ferrari. I didn't ever really get to grips with it so y'know, keep that in mind.

1. Move brake balance all the way to the front.
2. Brake in a straight line, keep trail braking to a minimum.
3. Use a higher gear on corner exit to help wheel spin.
4. Consider some TC to help tyre wear.
5. Watch Tidgneys episode on tyre wear.
6. MR cars handle better with a little throttle while cornering. I didn't really work this out though.
7. Good luck!

Thank you. Will definitely try it out.

I almost exclusively drive the NSX and the Gr3 car still bites me from time to time. The more you drive it, the more you will learn it's characteristics. It's a fickle beast. A few things were already mentioned above, but a some tips that can help are:
- If your rears are more worn than the fronts, it's already too late
- Manage throttle inputs. Avoid wheelspin
- Don't unsettle the weight balance of the car with quick movements. In a left-right or right-left transitioning corner, you have to ease the car from side to side rather than throwing it the other direction. Also don't quickly jump off of the brakes thru a corner. This will also unsettle the balance.
- Try staying in one gear higher during entry. For example, if it's a 2nd gear corner but your rear is unstable, try entering in 3rd gear, then shift down to 2nd at the exit
- For some reason, a 5% throttle input while braking and turning actually helps keep it settled on entry. Not sure why, but it seems to help

There's a lot of little nuances with mid engine cars in general that are tricky. You really just need to drive them a lot to get comfortable. Hope this helps

To me the nsx has the best tire wear out of all the gr3 cars. What helped me the most was putting the BB to -5 and not braking as hard as I normally would into the corners. Braking hard then turning in is what used up most of my tire life.

Last edited:
I almost exclusively drive the NSX. The car is just really fun to me since it's pretty lively. What I do for the tire wear (some stuff is already mentioned):

- Lift and coast into the hard braking zones, I don't lose a lot of time that way and already slow the car down a bit allowing me to use not more than 70% brake input.
- Also be very smooth with releasing the brakes, as smooth as your throttle application in most cases. It's very easy to unsettle the car just releasing the brakes.
- Good throttle control but even then I sometimes switch to fuel map 2 on acceleration to avoid wheel spin.
- BB to the front

I almost exclusively drive the NSX and the Gr3 car still bites me from time to time. The more you drive it, the more you will learn it's characteristics. It's a fickle beast. A few things were already mentioned above, but a some tips that can help are:
- If your rears are more worn than the fronts, it's already too late
- Manage throttle inputs. Avoid wheelspin
- Don't unsettle the weight balance of the car with quick movements. In a left-right or right-left transitioning corner, you have to ease the car from side to side rather than throwing it the other direction. Also don't quickly jump off of the brakes thru a corner. This will also unsettle the balance.
- Try staying in one gear higher during entry. For example, if it's a 2nd gear corner but your rear is unstable, try entering in 3rd gear, then shift down to 2nd at the exit
- For some reason, a 5% throttle input while braking and turning actually helps keep it settled on entry. Not sure why, but it seems to help

There's a lot of little nuances with mid engine cars in general that are tricky. You really just need to drive them a lot to get comfortable. Hope this helps
Throttle input during a corner will move the weight further backwards and onto the rear wheels, reducing the chance that they will slide.

During braking, a bit of throttle will act sort of like blipping while downshifting, reducing sudden weight transfer to the front due to shifting down a gear, which creates an engine braking spike. You are basically reducing and flattening engine braking while slowing down.

Back